Heat.

Got home at 14.45 to 32.3C in the lounge and a mere 28C outside.

Got home at 14.45 to 32.3C in the lounge and a mere 28C outside.
There is a good reason that I keep all my windows doors and curtains shut.
Usually about 6oC

Temp cooler up here, but humidity sky high. But now temp is down to 18C and their is a light breeze so all the windows open to cool the house down.

There is a good reason that I keep all my windows doors and curtains shut.
Usually about 6oC

All shut up apart from north facing window, everything flung open when I get home, the joy of living in a static home!

When I was working in the upstairs bathroom an hour ago it was already 27 degrees. Our downstairs is cool but upstairs is much less stable.

Alexa says 20 outside, she's fibbing again.

Currently 26.6 on the thermostat.

It's sticky though, pretty uncomfortable.

30oC again today,
My hedgehog is getting very fidgety, well if it will set up home in a plastic bag.
Shading provided with a fishing umbrella and a large shallow bowl of water close by, in case it fancies a swim.

But I digress, following the predicted storms on Sunday the day time temperatures are set to drop rapidly to high teens.
That'll give us all something else to bitch about :D

Last edited:
30 plus again in deepest France. Some new friends wanted to show us their attic conversion, and I'm still sweating an hour later. :runaway:

Beautiful morning here. Air about 18, warm, gentle sunshine. We've got the windows upstairs open and airing/cooling the place nicely.

We saw signs for a photo exposition at Roussillon this week, and we're heading off there shortly.

Beautiful morning here. Air about 18, warm, gentle sunshine. We've got the windows upstairs open and airing/cooling the place nicely.

We saw signs for a photo exposition at Roussillon this week, and we're heading off there shortly.
Currently 23 here and very humid, thunderstorms predicted around mid day onward...
Bring it on.

As of 5 mins ago, down pour massive thunder-spots no light show, just the odd rumble.
The temprature is now down to low 20's from 27 a couple of hours ago. (y)

31 degrees driving back from Autun about half an hour ago. Clear skies, very strong sun.

We were out at a French 'military through the ages' event, and the heat for the people in some of those uniforms and dresses was brutal. I could see perspiration soaking through many of the outfits. They were also cooking over open fires, which was merciless.

Sat in living room at about 24 right now.

#pond nicely topped up.

It looks like its done for the day.
Currently 23oC

At around 4.10pm local time we decided to drive to Lac des Settons for a swim. 9 weeks ago we swam here, but they drained it, and now there's warning signs up and a hundred meters of mud to cross. :(

28 under the trees.

Last edited:
Today started bright with some streaky clouds around sunrise, at 11 degrees. By midday it was up to 29, but became overcast with storms predicted, and a temp as of 15min ago around 18-20.

11 degrees outside just now, thermostat says 19 indoors.

Time to put the heating on. ;)
23 inside 17 out.
Actually, I will be firing up the heating in the next couple of days just to make sure all is good before it does turn cold.

Brrrrr!!! As always, it was amusing watching the surprise on people's faces when getting off the plane at midnight in shorts, t-shirt and flip flops!

I'm glad that's over, a much more pleasant 13 degrees outside at the moment, 18 on the thermostat. I'll take that.

Only drawback is, I now have some chores to get done in the garden and can do them comfortably.

We had heavy, sustained rain over night, so the garden has been watered, the pond got some fresh water and the river really needed it.

I'm glad that's over, a much more pleasant 13 degrees outside at the moment, 18 on the thermostat. I'll take that.
It's that darned global warming, it is.

Oh! wait a minute... :tumbleweed:

The car was reading 17.5 when I went out a bit earlier, 21oC in side, perfick.

Climate control was actually pumping out warm air this morning but cold on the way home.

Climate control was actually pumping out warm air this morning but cold on the way home.
I don't even know if mine works, I just open a couple of windows, and enjoy the blow through (y)

I like playing with my toys!

Just a beautiful day today here in the Morvan: 14 degrees and some mist this morning, followed by blue skies and a few fleecy white clouds and about 24 degrees. Only fly in the ointment (ha ha) was that after about an hour with the brush cutter on our plot/orchard I started getting attacked by the local bitey flies that normally 'enjoy' the charolais cattle living just over the fence.

Just a beautiful day today here in the Morvan: 14 degrees and some mist this morning, followed by blue skies and a few fleecy white clouds and about 24 degrees. Only fly in the ointment (ha ha) was that after about an hour with the brush cutter on our plot/orchard I started getting attacked by the local bitey flies that normally 'enjoy' the charolais cattle living just over the fence.

I got bitten by a horsefly (cleg) on my thigh, over the weekend, I think Saturday evening. I never felt a thing until Monday, when the itch started. It wasn't long before I had a lump about the size of a 50p and as I'd scratched it, it was weeping too. Horseflies are one of the few things I do squish, when I feel them bite. :bat:

Horseflies are one of the few things I do squish, when I feel them bite. :bat:
I've been bitten and stung by the best over the years as a pestie, those b*****d things are the only ones that I react to,
badly!

I never felt a thing until Monday,

I've never knowingly had a horse-fly bite, but it happened to my wife while we were having breakfast one day - she suddenly yelped and looked at her leg - there was a lump missing and it was bleeding. It was painful enough to bring tears to her eyes.

About 10 years ago we were walking down mount Revelstoke in Canada. There was snow around, but the sun was strong and I was wearing a stretchy 'Buff' to protect my head. For a few moments I felt a sharp prickling sensation on my head, but put my hand up and couldn't feel anything so carried on and the feeling gradually subsided. When we got back to the car I pulled off the buff and found it to be stiff with blood - I'd been bitten through the fabric and then bled fairly freely for a while. :p

I've been bitten and stung by the best over the years as a pestie, those b*****d things are the only ones that I react to,
badly!
I've never knowingly had a horse-fly bite, but it happened to my wife while we were having breakfast one day - she suddenly yelped and looked at her leg - there was a lump missing and it was bleeding. It was painful enough to bring tears to her eyes.

About 10 years ago we were walking down mount Revelstoke in Canada. There was snow around, but the sun was strong and I was wearing a stretchy 'Buff' to protect my head. For a few moments I felt a sharp prickling sensation on my head, but put my hand up and couldn't feel anything so carried on and the feeling gradually subsided. When we got back to the car I pulled off the buff and found it to be stiff with blood - I'd been bitten through the fabric and then bled fairly freely for a while. :p

I think different people react in different ways to horseflies in particular. I get a lump after a couple of days that itches and is hard to the touch, with the skin feeling tight around it. I rarely feel them bite but they do get squished when I do. Sometimes, I don't feel them until it's too late though.

My wife hardly reacts to them at all, it's just like a scratch type thing for her.

I react quite badly to midges too but the lumps are gone in about an hour. Horsefly bites leave a mark for weeks.

The worst thing I've been bitten by is a cat, that put me in hospital and I only just dodged surgery. Out of interest, cats are one of the most dangerous animals in the UK to be bitten by.

11 degrees outside, 17.4 on the thermostat, much better.

I think different people react in different ways to horseflies in particular.
I react almost immediately, its minutes when I swell up in the area, and it takes forever to go down.
I found pure pyrethrum helped with the pain, and swelling. The synthetic type works, sort of.

its currently 17.5 out there, the same as 11:30 am this morning.
Its actually quite pleasant outside.

After 4 hours or so sat on the riverbank today, the cold started to set in. I got back to the car and was glad when the heaters got up to temperature. Only thing I wasn't keen on was the tingly fingers as the blood got back into them.

It's much more comfortable than 30 + degrees though.

We got back tonight. Weird thing was we expected it to be cold, but saw 26 on the car thermometer while on the M25. When we left Cussy it was 16.5 and raining, but felt less cold than it does now in Somerton.

Our thermostat touched 17.9 degrees today. If it were in winter mode, the heating would've come on. Hard to believe that not just more than a week ago, we were sweltering.

Our thermostat touched 17.9 degrees today.
17 outside 21 inside here.
And its hissing down, The wind has dropped from 35 Km/h to 20 Km/h
Not bad for late Sept :)

Back