what should i get better?

• Total voters
Name
Willy
Edit My Images
No
Hello everyone,
I hope you guys had a wonderful day )

I'm new to this website and i find it very helpful thanks to you guys.
Now you gotta help me :D

About a week ago i bought a Nikon body D5200 after selling my D3200.

I already have a lens, it's a 50mm 1.8D

I'm shooting landscape, skies, architect, building, street photography and sometimes shooting portrait.

So my question is what should i get better?

1- Sigma/Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 and keep the nifty fifty lens
Or
2- Nikon 18-105mm plus 35mm or 50mm 1.8G and sell my nifty fifty D

So tell me what should i get?

Keep the 50 1.8D - there's little to choose between that & the G, except the G is larger and more expensive & a little quieter focussing.

For the (all round) uses you describe I'd probably get the 18-105 & 35 1.8. You might also want to consider the 16-85, since the extra wide angle is probably more useful than the longer reach - I find 16mm has a noticeable advantage over 18mm.

Skies - probably a wider angle lens.
Architecture - probably a wider angle lens, unless really serious where a tilt/shift may be preffered
Portraits - somewhere around the 85mm/100mm for a more flattering portrait
Street - somewhere around the 35mm range?
Landscapes - depends if its urban or rural. Anything from 10/15mm to 300mm.

Keep the 50 1.8D - there's little to choose between that & the G, except the G is larger and more expensive & a little quieter focussing.

For the (all round) uses you describe I'd probably get the 18-105 & 35 1.8. You might also want to consider the 16-85, since the extra wide angle is probably more useful than the longer reach - I find 16mm has a noticeable advantage over 18mm.
Thank you for your reply I appreciate that.
Is the 2mm wider worth it forget about the extra zoom i don't need it anyways, the most important thing is the wide angle.
what about the sigma 10-20 & 35 1.8 ?

Skies - probably a wider angle lens.
Architecture - probably a wider angle lens, unless really serious where a tilt/shift may be preffered
Portraits - somewhere around the 85mm/100mm for a more flattering portrait
Street - somewhere around the 35mm range?
Landscapes - depends if its urban or rural. Anything from 10/15mm to 300mm.
Thank you man for you reply,
I just want to tell you that am on budget so forget about the tilt shift lens and the portrait lens the nifty fifty is doing well
So i do agree with the 35 1.8
So what do you think the 35 1.8 & sigma 10-20mm?

Thank you for your reply I appreciate that.
Is the 2mm wider worth it forget about the extra zoom i don't need it anyways, the most important thing is the wide angle.
what about the sigma 10-20 & 35 1.8 ?

I have 2 outfits: Sony crop with Zeiss 16-80 (24-120 equivalent) and Nikon FX with 28-105 and 21-35 (plus a couple of other lenses that aren't important for this discussion). With the Nikon & 28-105 I miss the extra width that I get with the Zeiss/Sony outfit. I DO have the 21-35, but often want something longer than 35mm focal length, often shooting between 50mm and 105mm. I don't think a 10-20 + 35mm would be OK *for me*, but you use will be different. So 28-105 or 24-120 is my walkabout kit and the 21-35 is for specific uses, rather than leaving it attached at all times.

Back