High-end bridge cameras: Sony RX10, Panasonic FZ1000 etc

My RX10iii is terrible at fast AF on moving objects - even people running around. Would not recommend for fast moving birds over the Olympus.

I imagine a camera with some phase detect AF pixels will be even better than the E-M5ii though.

My RX10iii is terrible at fast AF on moving objects - even people running around. Would not recommend for fast moving birds over the Olympus.

I imagine a camera with some phase detect AF pixels will be even better than the E-M5ii though.

Ah yes - I hadn't thought of that! I suppose a mark2 E-M1 is going to be the only thing capable of keeping up with a DSLR then? If so I'm in the wrong part of the forum... ;)

Ah yes - I hadn't thought of that! I suppose a mark2 E-M1 is going to be the only thing capable of keeping up with a DSLR then? If so I'm in the wrong part of the forum... ;)

The Panasonic GX8 with the 100-400 can do it,not to top end DSLR standards but it can do it.

32482550125_eef5d44930_o.jpg

The EM10MK11 can do it but only in S-AF and shutter pumping

25317918559_8c16325c5e_o.jpg

You could wait for the Nikon DL :D 20 fps and CAF

The Panasonic GX8 with the 100-400 can do it,not to top end DSLR standards but it can do it.

The EM10MK11 can do it but only in S-AF and shutter pumping

You could wait for the Nikon DL :D 20 fps and CAF

Could be waiting a long time :)

Nice shot from the GX8 - I've heard good things about that lens but never really "understood" Panasonic's different camera ranges with overlapping model numbers!

Last edited:
The RX10 IV with the sensor from the RX100 V is likely to surface in the next couple of months and should greatly improve focus speed.
The latest rumour is that the Nikon DLs will start shipping in March but I'll believe it when I need an umbrella to protect my head from pig droppings.....

I would have thought phase detection would be better - having said that, I managed to take some images of a gold rest with the FZ1000. Considering I'm still getting used to it - was very happy with the result!

I would have thought phase detection would be better - having said that, I managed to take some images of a gold rest with the FZ1000. Considering I'm still getting used to it - was very happy with the result!
I've tried the FZ1000 in a shop and it seems to focus faster than my RX10iii.

As you can tell I'm not overly impressed with the AF on the Sony. But still stunning IQ for the sensor size!

Here's my Dunnock. It's on the back of a bench that's outside our dining-room window; the RX10 II (the III wasn't released at the time) was on a table-top tripod at the end of the table and I was seated at the other end clutching the remote release. The two sheets of glass haven't helped the image quality.

dunnock1.jpg

And here he is, in motion. The first one was cropped from this framing.
dunnock2.jpg

Another couple with the Sony RX10iii - anybody know what the second is? Some kind of Sparrow?

It's a Dunnock (aka hedge Sparrow) it seems :)

Singing Robin
by Mike Smith, on Flickr

UFO - any ideas ?
by Mike Smith, on Flickr

Incredible detail with these - I'm constantly getting a small niggle of "perhaps I should have gone with this one instead" haha. Nevertheless, beautiful image of a classic bird that just can't be photographed enough, dare I say it!

In case you're wondering why I've been quiet, firstly the weather hasn't been great, and secondly I found that I couldn't resist the Panasonic double cashback and got myself a GX80!!! The main purpose is for pictures of my dogs running, (Saluki and Greyhound), which the RX10MK3 struggled with, and BIF for the same reason. However I will still be keeping my MK3 as it is an amazing camera, and will pick and choose what I take dependant on my health on any given day. Changing lenses is still a difficult thing to do, even on a good day, so if I take the GX80 it will be with one lens, carefully chosen, and work within those restraints. I think I am now happily settled with my gear for a long time to come.

Hi guys, some lovely photos in here!! I've never had a bridge camera before and looking to acquire on. I have around £800 so which model would you guys suggest? Is there anything on the horizon I should be waiting for? Thanks all :)

The cameras that are within your budget are the original RX10, a used RX10 II if you can find one and Panasonic FZ1000. The RX10 III and FZ2000 are well over your budget. There are a few cameras made by Canon that use the same size sensor but they lack either the EVF or the lens range and don't seem to have much to recommend them compared with Sony's and Panasonic's offerings. The only one that's likely to be released in the near future is the RX10 IV but that will be twice your budget when it does arrive.

I suggest you read the reviews on DPReview then come back if you have specific questions.

The cameras that are within your budget are the original RX10, a used RX10 II if you can find one and Panasonic FZ1000. The RX10 III and FZ2000 are well over your budget. There are a few cameras made by Canon that use the same size sensor but they lack either the EVF or the lens range and don't seem to have much to recommend them compared with Sony's and Panasonic's offerings. The only one that's likely to be released in the near future is the RX10 IV but that will be twice your budget when it does arrive.

I suggest you read the reviews on DPReview then come back if you have specific questions.

The more I read about this it does look like the FZ1000 is the one for me. The range of the lens is is an added bonus for the price too. You have confirmed my initial thoughts, thanks for the response, it is appreciated.

I'm curious to what day to day filters you use and leave on your Panasonic FZ1000, if at all. CPL, UV....any recommendations for good quality, reasonable price ones? Thanks

You don't need any filters on a digital camera but, if you are going to use one, it shouldn't be 'reasonably priced'. You've paid a small fortune for the lens on your camera and it deserves something in front of it that's not going to degrade the image. The minimum you should be looking at is Hoya HMC Pro1, Revo or HD. I have a Hoya HD on my RX10 III but I'm thinking of removing it as Mike's images seem noticeably sharper than mine so I want to see if it's the filter or just that he's got a better sample of the lens.

The more I read about this it does look like the FZ1000 is the one for me. The range of the lens is is an added bonus for the price too. You have confirmed my initial thoughts, thanks for the response, it is appreciated.

I do rate the FZ1000. Envious of the RX10 Mk3 but that is over double the price

Query ladies and gentlemen - every time the battery is taken out of my FZ1000 to charge, the time and date resets itself. According to the manual, the inbuilt battery should stop this - but mine doesn't. Any pointers?

Leave the camera alone for a day with a fully charged battery in it. This should give the internal battery a chance to charge. If this doesn't work then it may be faulty.

Leave the camera alone for a day with a fully charged battery in it. This should give the internal battery a chance to charge. If this doesn't work then it may be faulty.

Yep, tried this and not a dot of difference... Drat!

Hi all,

Some excellent shots showing what the sony and panasonic have to offer. I've been looking at this thread with interest.

I've recently sold my canon kit and looking to invest in something else. I've been looking at the FZ1000, which also comes with a 5-year guarantee at the moment.

I've just got a question though, what do people think is the optimum size of prints that could be achieved from the panasonic and sony?

Cheers

Back