High-end bridge cameras: Sony RX10, Panasonic FZ1000 etc

A few from Reykjavik

Only had a couple of days in Iceland so none of the usual glacier and waterfall shots, just a few from around the capital with the Sony RX10 iii

SON07172_zpsjatrwy4t.jpg

SON07182-Edit_zpsvkb6iamj.jpg

SON07111-Edit-Edit_zpsvywji0am.jpg

SON07082_zpss6p8bkgv.jpg

SON07124-Edit_zpstakecuxv.jpg

SON07233-Edit_zpsri6shmpv.jpg

I'm still struggling do I keep my Pentax K5iis and lenses or give up the changing lenses which I do find a pain and go for rx10iii and have it all in one??
Any major downsides to the RX?
It would be good for birds as is very evident and better for going away.

Last edited:
[emoji16], might just give it a while longer in case something else comes out as I'm not in any desperate rush and there's nothing wrong with what I have which cost less including 4 lenses. £1400 still seems a lot for a 1 inch sensored camera even if it is worth it, unless a good deal on one appears.
This is one segment of the camera market that's severely lacking in options, surprised no one else doesn't capitalise on it. Longer range cameras that is.

Last edited:
[emoji16], might just give it a while longer in case something else comes out as I'm not in any desperate rush and there's nothing wrong with what I have which cost less including 4 lenses. £1400 still seems a lot for a 1 inch sensored camera even if it is worth it, unless a good deal on one appears.
This is one segment of the camera market that's severely lacking in options, surprised no one else doesn't capitalise on it. Longer range cameras that is.

I think you would be impressed if you tried them. Personally, I think the FZ1000 is the best bang for buck available, at around £550 in stores. You mention no one capitalizing on longer range cameras.. well the Sony has the 600mm and the FZ200 has 480mm (I think). From my understanding, there is only so long you can go or you’ll have to compromise - for example, 600mm seems to be the max zoom for a machine that has a large sensor and kick ass low light performance (relatively) or you could purchase an FZ72 which has a sensor a fraction of the size.. but does have an enormous zoom of 1000 plus mm. But the shots from it are pants.

I think you would be impressed if you tried them. Personally, I think the FZ1000 is the best bang for buck available, at around £550 in stores. You mention no one capitalizing on longer range cameras.. well the Sony has the 600mm and the FZ200 has 480mm (I think). From my understanding, there is only so long you can go or you’ll have to compromise - for example, 600mm seems to be the max zoom for a machine that has a large sensor and kick ass low light performance (relatively) or you could purchase an FZ72 which has a sensor a fraction of the size.. but does have an enormous zoom of 1000 plus mm. But the shots from it are pants.
I was referring to 1 inch sensors, and would prefer the 600mm ,I have a p900 with a 2000mm lens which is superb for such a small sensor which is great for birds, yes I realise this is a dog example lol FB_IMG_1487284082446.jpg just looking for one fits all with a faster lens for trips or when you don't want to be carrying lenses of which the Sony's and pannys are the only options at the moment and canon don't seem to have any intention of updating the G3X ?
Unfortunately Nikon abandoned the DL line which had the 24-500 which would have added some healthy competition but alas Nikon have become pretty incompetent.

Last edited:
Well I've just purchased the Panasonic FZ2000 for £899 from the Panasonic outlet complete with warranty, when I saw it at that price I think it was a no brainer

The RX10 IV with the sensor from the RX100 V is likely to surface in the next couple of months and should greatly improve focus speed.
The latest rumour is that the Nikon DLs will start shipping in March but I'll believe it when I need an umbrella to protect my head from pig droppings.....
Ones dead in the water and no sign of the other, hope your not a betting man [emoji16]

Last edited:
Well I've just purchased the Panasonic FZ2000 for £899 from the Panasonic outlet complete with warranty, when I saw it at that price I think it was a no brainer
Good move - and a good price. Looking forward to seeing some images! :)

Ones dead in the water and no sign of the other, hope your not a betting man [emoji16]
I'd have thought it was fairly obvious from what I wrote that I'm not. My initial prediction for the RX10 IV was that it would be announced in March for May shipment, same as the current model last year, but the death of the DL range may have affected this in either/both of two ways. One is that there's less (potential) competition and so less pressure on Sony to release a new model. The other is that Sony doesn't want a repeat of last year's lack of stock after the first batch so will build inventory before announcing the new model. Your guess might be as good as mine.

I'd have thought it was fairly obvious from what I wrote that I'm not. My initial prediction for the RX10 IV was that it would be announced in March for May shipment, same as the current model last year, but the death of the DL range may have affected this in either/both of two ways. One is that there's less (potential) competition and so less pressure on Sony to release a new model. The other is that Sony doesn't want a repeat of last year's lack of stock after the first batch so will build inventory before announcing the new model. Your guess might be as good as mine.
It was a joke, of course they may well feel as the rx10iii has done so well there's no need for the Iv, who knows only time will tell, it's a pity about the dl as it would have brought a bit more competition but there you go.

Very interested to hear how you get on with this.
I'm selling up all my FUJI X stuff and probably just keeping my SONY RX100m3 but if I do lust for something with a big bigger reach without the faff of swapping lenses etc the FZ2000 is on a possible shortlist.

Very interested to hear how you get on with this.
I'm selling up all my FUJI X stuff and probably just keeping my SONY RX100m3 but if I do lust for something with a big bigger reach without the faff of swapping lenses etc the FZ2000 is on a possible shortlist.
I'd be interested to see how the iq compares, here's an initial shot part of me feels the RX might be the better option
101-0037.jpeg

I have sent it back, it's an excellent camera full of features but 480mm really wasn't enough and looking and some bird pictures from the Sony they seem sharper and more detailed.

The SONY does get rave reviews but the sticking point always seems to be the price !
Unfortunately which is why I won't be buying it, well not until the price drops, it's not that much of an upgrade from the mk ii really, they extended the focal range but reduced the amount of 2.8, I know it starts at 2.4 but not for much, and 2.8 up to 100mm I believe? which is a bit of downgrade, not that that bothers me personally, I know many think it's worth it but I still think it's too pricey.
Especially now the fz2000 is out which is competition, it does have a lot the Sony lacks yet Sony seem unwilling to reduce its pricetag.

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend a good flashgun to couple up? I'd rather not go with the official Panasonic as they're a could of hundred - anything Witt TTL and bounce would be good to try.

Nissin i40 and Meike MK-320 are popular. I have i40s in Sony and Fuji fittings which both work well.

I haven't used my RX10 III for weeks. :(
I'm taking plenty of shots at the museum where I volunteer plus some table-top stuff but I'm using either the museum's Canon DSLR or my A6300 & SEL1670Z. Had 'fun' doing the winners of an art competition for the catalogue this week - used the A6300 as it has auto-bracketing and the Canon doesn't.

As it's been rather quiet in here recently I though it was time to wake things up with some moto-x. It was organised by a classic bike club so it was mainly lovely big four-strokes growling away rather than shrieking two-stokes. My panning technique is dreadful these days as I'm a rifle shooter so I stop panning when when I press the shutter where a shotgunner would keep moving. Not the best moto-x shots I've ever done and a bit of pp would probably liven things up. Apart from one or two, all I've done is crop them in JAlbum from landscape to portrait.

DSC01228.JPG

DSC01345.JPG

DSC01317.JPG
DSC01288.JPG

Last edited:
My fz1000 is for sale in the classifieds if anyone is looking for one

Back