High-end bridge cameras: Sony RX10, Panasonic FZ1000 etc

Its build is a bit hefty for a Tern and I think it's a Black Headed Gull, probably a juvenile.

Some lovely images there Derek. The second one of the Sparrow is pin sharp.
You're right about the effect of removing the noise from the Heron. I chose that because it was probably the most tricky recent image I have to remove noise from! Mind you, having found out the price of Neat Image I've decided that for the few occasions I may use it, the cost is far too high. I've just downloaded the free Nik collection from Google so will have a play later today.

An image to share and a question. First the question. I don't know if this haas always been the case, but my husband spotted the other day that the rear screen is permanently on (obviously only when the camera is switched on). I can't say I've noticed it before, but I've had a quick look through the menus and can't see how to have it turn off. So my question is whether or not it being on is how it's supposed to be, or have I inadvertently changed a setting without realising it. I just can't believe I've not noticed it before!! Mind you the last week I noticed my phone was showing totally the wrong time. On delving into menus I found it was set for West African time zone. How that happened inadvertently I'll never know. Anyway thank you in advance for any advice.
And now a sort of Autumn image. The colour hasn't been great this year and this is probably the best I have

Thank you Jonathan. It could be that I just hadn't noticed it was on then. Not very observant am I which isn't really a good thing for a photographer!!

Another Autumn shot which someone (who I don't know!!) has faved on Flickr. For that reason alone I thought I would share it!! But it looks much sharper on Flickr I have to say!!

Last edited:
Just back from Hong Kong, these are just snaps really, no time to 'paint with light' when one's wife wants to go shopping ;)

SON06497_zps4cc0mnfs.jpg

SON06781_zps0vhz3eyf.jpg

SON06905_zpsoybjzpq4.jpg

SON06885_zpsop9f8kdm.jpg

SON06528-Edit_zpsd1gcwipj.jpg

SON06418-Edit_zpsmoidvqml.jpg

SON06479-Edit_zpsmjytm5ua.jpg

Last edited:
Church through the leaves. For some reason this one looks less sharp and more washed out than it should. Definitely looks much better on Flickr too. Any ideas as to what has happened

Autumn colours

Church through the leaves. For some reason this one looks less sharp and more washed out than it should. Definitely looks much better on Flickr too. Any ideas as to what has happened

Autumn colours

It may just be that against the white background that they look washed out. The dark grey on flickr tends to make them pop more.

Autumn colours

They look soft on here, Flickr are much sharper too. Maybe some sort of compression on TP.

Another great set of Macro's Derek! Is the just with the RX10MK3, or is there a Raynox involved? Either way, nice work!

I used to have a Raynox when I had a DSLR, then followed on with a Macro lens. For the money, and seeing your results Derek I think it may be time to invest in another one! Time to drop some Christmas hints to my husband I think!

Last edited:
Marcia, have a look at the Marumi Achromats as well. They come in many different thread sizes, like normal filters, so don't vignette over most of the lens's range like the Raynox. They do cost more than the Raynox as there's much more glass involved. The Marumi 200 is equivalent to a Raynox 150.

Taken for the General Section Lego minifigures thread. There's a more extreme version to come as soon I receive an order for more Lego body parts.....

recruitment.jpg

Sarge! Recruitment has really scraped the bottom of the barrel this time!

Last edited:
And here's a Robin this time. Although it was a lovely day yesterday, this was taken in woodland shade (there was still frost on the ground at 12pm!!). I'm really pleased with the outcome after a quick run through Lightroom to reduce the noise a tad, although as always it seems far less sharp on here. Maybe I should have cropped more, but I rather liked the composition!

Last edited:
have been considering going back to a good bridge camera from my dslr as the lugging around of loads of kit aint practical , loving the photos from the sony rx10 but its a wee bit out of my comfortable budget the lumix fz330 and fz1000 are more like the price range im looking at but wondered if the nikon p900 is as good as these ? anyone tested the nikon out and have any input..

have been considering going back to a good bridge camera from my dslr as the lugging around of loads of kit aint practical , loving the photos from the sony rx10 but its a wee bit out of my comfortable budget the lumix fz330 and fz1000 are more like the price range im looking at but wondered if the nikon p900 is as good as these ? anyone tested the nikon out and have any input..

I vote for the FZ1000 - don’t even go with the P900 as it has a tiny sensor and will lead to disappointment! Only thing I miss with the FZ1000 is the touch screen - but its not that big a deal! Video, quality of images is great I think!

The P900 is a great camera if you have a use for its best feature,that long zoom,i used one for quiet a while as a birding camera when i was walking too far to take my DSLR,if you want a all round bridge camera though go for a Panasonic with 1 inch sensor.
This was shot full zoom hand held on the P900 (fov 2000mm)

26585291293_d33d011d48_o.jpg

Back