High-end bridge cameras: Sony RX10, Panasonic FZ1000 etc

Well I like to do a bit of wildlife but I don't really want to add a bulky lens and holidays I don't want to be carrying different lenses so I think it's the way to go.

Well bit the bullet, camera jungle had a mint one for £1081 and now they do a year warranty seemed a fair deal
I used to say it was too expensive but having seen many more images and all that it has to offer I've done a complete u turn, maybe I should run for Parliament [emoji23]

Last edited:
Well, my FZ1000 will be up for sale on Ebay next weekend! I've decided DSLRs are the way forward for me, so managed to get a Canon 700D for a very reasonable (end of line) price through Currys. FZ1000 was - and is - fantastic, but I'm prepared to loose a little on convenience for the sheer quality of the 700D and bright aperture lens that are available! I shall still dip in and out of this particular thread - who knows what the further brings us!

I have the Fz1000
is what it is ,least you dont have to take loads of lens out with you
fair pic quality

SON01500_edited-1_zpszictwbit.jpg

Any suggestions for TTL flashguns to use with a FZ1000?

I have just bought an FZ1000 for a buddy, and have been having a little play.
I am now tempted to get one (or something similar) for myself but do like to use a flash as fill-in, and the leaf shutter means you can sync at any shutter speed.
A quick search says that there are options like the Meike MK320, but if anyone has any experience of others it would be good to know !

There are a couple of other options, both of them better than the Meike. One is the Nissin i40 - a bit pricey but works well. I have one in Sony-fit and another in Fujifilm. The other and possibly better is the Godox TT350O. There's also the larger TT685O. No personal experience but what I read is very encouraging and they're part of a properly thought out wireless system. It's where I'd be putting my money if I didn't have a load of Sony flashes.

There are a couple of other options, both of them better than the Meike. One is the Nissin i40 - a bit pricey but works well. I have one in Sony-fit and another in Fujifilm. The other and possibly better is the Godox TT350O. There's also the larger TT685O. No personal experience but what I read is very encouraging and they're part of a properly thought out wireless system. It's where I'd be putting my money if I didn't have a load of Sony flashes.
Many thanks Jonathan, I'll take a look..

Some of the images on here are stunning. I sold off all my bulky kit and just used an FZ1000 for the last few years. More than even the convenience or image quality its the speed of operation that I love. It's my fit and forget camera.
I bought a cheap D3100 and Sigma 30/1.4 for the only thing the FZ can't do, but I rather regret my next purchase ... i bought a Nikon 200-500. Dont get me wrong, it's an incredible lens, but I wish I had it 5 years ago when I had more time to learn and use a big gun like that. Funnily enough, I still prefer to use the FZ out on walks, and with the new dog there's no room for tripod and hidework!

Anyway, I have a question about the long end... birding with the FZ is good but even with the zoom tricks I'm tempted by the Sony reach. However, focus and operational speed in UK light are often very different from well lit shops and USA Floridian sunshine... worth it? Or should I consider the classic choice, the FZ200 with its constant 2.8? Hmmmm, opinions valued

The Sony IMHO, the fz200 still has a smaller sensor and it's not a good low light camera despite the 2.8, haven't had any issues with Sony on a cloudy day.

Lovely to hear, thanks. I'm continually amaed at the images the FZ1000 can pull [been a fan of the 1" sensor since the flawed but useful Nikon V1]. Cheers!
I used to say the Sony was overpriced, but now I've got it I wouldn't use anything else, it's all I need and more, the iq is superb even using the clear image zoom which gives 1200mm
DSC00024.JPG

Attachments

• DSC00020.JPG
    DSC00020.JPG
    7.8 KB · Views: 8
So, a big question - what is the BEST of all the current bridge cameras..?
OK, so I realize that this is a bit of an open question, but having had a FZ1000 to play with for a few days, and comparing it to my Nikon D750 there is a pretty big difference in image quality.
There is also a massive difference in portability and convenience.
If I were looking to buy a bridge camera, what would be the best for image quality, speed of focus and low light performance. The FZ1000 has a slowest shutter speed of 1/60th which amazes me.
I'm not looking to replace my D750, but something smaller but with as-good-as-it-gets quality would be of interest.

Yeah, I know I'm not asking much....

Cant comment on the Sony but the FZ killed my D700. Of course image quality isnt comparable under identical conditions, but an FZ image at 400mm kills the D700's once you crop in because you only packed light and had the 35 on it... likewise the FZ image kills the D700 image when you left the big camera at home... it's just convenience to pick up the one-hand do everything jobbie
Image quality aside, the FZ operates as fast as a SLR and AF-S lens combo, the first 'compact' i used that felt over-specced CPU wise. Focus, shot to shot, menus, reviewing... I can't stand slow cameras.

Its possible the Sony is even better, I'm tempted for it as my other half is as taken by the FZ as I am and often theres a battle as to who uses it. The 600 appeals, IQ looks even better still, just need to feel how fast it handles and focuses. But either choice looks very solid. The FZ status as a classic is confirmed by the fact that it still sells at near-initial RRP despite being a grandfather in the world of tech!

I don't go out to take photos anymore, but I do take photos when I'm out. A bridge is perfect when you're just shooting the breeze.

Last edited:
The rx10 3 price hasn't come down since it's been out over a year ago even with the fz2000 now been out a while and the fact you see far fewer of them available used on ebay than any Panasonic should tell you something

I tried my mates Sony rx10, mark 3 I think before I went with the FZ1000, its a great compact but the things I did not like was it was like trying to hold a bar of soap and the menu's did not seem as easy to use as the Panasonic, both could just be specific to me though :D so give both a try before deciding.

It's solid and certainly the heaviest bridge camera but personally I prefer that to the plastic ones, not sure about feeling like a bar of soap [emoji23]
The menu system is easy Imo, I'm not sure why anyone would find it complicated?

It's solid and certainly the heaviest bridge camera but personally I prefer that to the plastic ones, not sure about feeling like a bar of soap [emoji23]

Which Sony Robin - the RX10 mk111 ?
One thing I noticed during my few hours with an FZ1000 was how slow it is to zoom in and out - is the RX10 slow too ?

Which Sony Robin - the RX10 mk111 ?
One thing I noticed during my few hours with an FZ1000 was how slow it is to zoom in and out - is the RX10 slow too ?
The 3, it's slow in normal but it has a faster zoom option which I keep it on, you can zoom with the zoom ring or the electronic lever

I get sweaty hands easily :( and it was just too slippery for me but I see they do a stick on rubber grip for it which is meant to be very good, give it a try it did take great pics.

I get sweaty hands easily :( and it was just too slippery for me but I see they do a stick on rubber grip for it which is meant to be very good, give it a try it did take great pics.
What grips that? Would be handy to have
Seen them for rx100 line but not the 10s

Last edited:
That's meant for the rx100 series, not sure how it would fit on a rx10 iii?

Methinks your right. It's the extra 0
They should have named either their bridge or pocket camera something different not the same bar a 0

Last edited:
FZ1000 has officially been moved on! Not regretting it so far, very much enjoying DSLR life! Not to say the RX10 mark 3 wouldn't be strongly considered in the future if one should pop up... Now that is one tasty looking Japanese gadget!

I'm sure it'll be a great camera but maybe not a massive upgrade on the RX10iii ... :thinking:
Yes doesn't look a massive upgrade, I'll stick with the iii for now the af is good enough but will interested to see real world reviews

Back