Holga, Toy, Charity Shop, Car Boot and other Bargains (film only please)

Im sure its a mistake but ive ordered 2 lots so 20 rolls for £21 with free postage...... killer bargain :D

Just had a message from eBay to say it was a scam. Someone hacked the account fortunately no payment was made by PayPal.
Check your emails folks, disappointed, but not surprised:(

It's a blessing in disguise really, I was beginning to think that the stock of 5 packs I have in my freezer had been devalued overnight! ;)

The Tri-X was also a scam. They haven't finalised the payment but I cancelled it anyway!

If it's too good to be true . . .
Tbh we thought it was a scam but if I'd not tried and it had turned out to be above board I would have been even more annoyed :D

I finally got round to buying the camera of my childhood, A 1960's Cosmic 35. I was brought mine in 1976 (I was about 8) second hand by my father who already had one ( along with other cameras) but unfortunately when point and press digitals came about I let my kids loose on it and it was destroyed. My sisters and mother had the later Cosmic 35m which had the same symbols as the Cosmic Symbol on the lens to judge shutter speed, unfortunately my older Cosmic didn't which for a while confused me until I copied the symbols onto a small chart and taped it inside the camera case, This worked a treat. I about a year and a half ago decided to have a go at this photography lark and first started with my inherited moms later Cosmic 35m just using the symbols and no light meter with good results but really wanted the camera of my youth. I now have that many cameras that Mrs Badger doesn't notice I have a new one so up to this point I seem to have got away with, I have cleaned up the lens loaded with film and am ready to give it a go. Here's the pictures anyway.

100_1117.JPG 100_1132.JPG 100_1137.JPG 100_1140.JPG

Ps it cost £2.90

Last edited:
I finally got round to buying the camera of my childhood, A 1960's Cosmic 35. I was brought mine in 1976 (I was about 8) second hand by my father who already had one ( along with other cameras) but unfortunately when point and press digitals came about I let my kids loose on it and it was destroyed. My sisters and mother had the later Cosmic 35m which had the same symbols as the Cosmic Symbol on the lens to judge shutter speed, unfortunately my older Cosmic didn't which for a while confused me until I copied the symbols onto a small chart and taped it inside the camera case, This worked a treat. I about a year and a half ago decided to have a go at this photography lark and first started with my inherited moms later Cosmic 35m just using the symbols and no light meter with good results but really wanted the camera of my youth. I now have that many cameras that Mrs Badger doesn't notice I have a new one so up to this point I seem to have got away with, I have cleaned up the lens loaded with film and am ready to give it a go. Here's the pictures anyway.

View attachment 129542 View attachment 129543 View attachment 129544 View attachment 129545

Ps it cost £2.90
Nice, I have one from back in the 80's. I think I got mine from a jumble sale (remember those?)

Jumble sale ! I haven't heard that term for a while .

I think I got my Fed 4 from a jumble sale too, as well as a 1940's Diana air pistol that my Dad wouldn't let me keep. Which is a pity as it'd be worth a lot more than I paid for it.

I didn't know it was from the 1940's until recently as we had no internet to check prices and look stuff up, it didn't even occur to us then.

Todays car boot haul includes

1980s Zenit Olympic

Carl Zeiss Jenna MC Flektogon 35 F2.4
Helios 44-M 2/58
Olympus Zuiko MC Auto-S 50MM F1.8
Auto Soligor 135mm F2.8
Super Ozeck II AutO Zoom MC 75-300MM

Sunpak Auto 24 Flash
Hanimex X215 Flash

Cokin filter holder

Max Spielman pro zoom 400

and finally a Bewi " Quick " Selenium Cell Exposure/Light Meter

all in a case off the same seller

£10

Last edited:
Todays car boot haul includes

1980s Zenit Olympic

Carl Zeiss Jenna MC Flektogon 35 F2.4
Helios 44-M 2/58
Olympus Zuiko MC Auto-S 50MM F1.8
Auto Soligor 135mm F2.8
Super Ozeck II AutO Zoom MC 75-300MM

Sunpak Auto 24 Flash
Hanimex X215 Flash

Cokin filter holder

Max Spielman pro zoom 400

and finally a Bewi " Quick " Selenium Cell Exposure/Light Meter

all in a case off the same seller

£10
Nice

I've hesitated to post this on the grounds of being called a jammy sod, but I recently saw a Minolta Scan Elite 5400 film scanner on Gumtree at the "worth a punt" price of £10. The owner said it had worked years ago, but he couldn't get it to work now on his modern computer. Suspecting that Vuescan might be the answer, the deal was done and it duly scanned several frames of film before just giving up. Since then, it has been an adventure every time I switch it on, but a succession of blank scans seemed to indicate a light source problem. Before pulling it apart, however, I loaded the Minolta software onto my old Vista laptop just in case that might work, but no joy and only the horror of how long installing software etc used to take in the old days. :eek:

Flushed with my lack of success, I tried it once more with my desktop and it has scanned the same slides and negs that have come out blank the last few times I have tried them. Pity they're all out of focus, mind, but I've rescanned the one I was going to use in the "Gone but not forgotten" comp. Technology, eh? :banghead: It's the view from my front window before they built a whole stack of houses in the field beside me. :(
2018-07-10-0007-tp.jpg

I felt my inner hipster calling ---- at Age UK

Action Sampler Flash - had to clean up the battery compartment - it did have a part used film in it - will see what is on that. For the price of a hipster coffee.

Faster than a speeding train .... one of my shots on the end of the roll

Lomography Action Sampler

by David M Bloor, on Flickr

Needs lots of action (and light) to be worthwhile - film in it was well old and well baked.

Last edited:
At this rate I'm going to have to dye my hair ginger and grow a beard.

1980s hard brown vinyl camera bag from this mornings Bank Holiday Car boot, with goodies inside.

20180827_080730.jpg

Having sorted through contents . 5 rolls of unexposed expired 1981 Kodacolor II - two exposed C41 rolls (1980s too) - Some rolls of 120 - 1 x FP3! and 2x Selochrome - now those are old. Part used 110 cassette and a Prinz 110 camera - DC3 flash with leads and filters. Cokin SK230 filter, holder and 4 adaptor rings. 2 Jessops lens brushes, flash bracket a Calotherm cloth and a cable release. Not bad for £4.

Going even further back for this Sunday's find.

20180902_114210.jpg

1930's pseudo 120 TLR Voigtlander Brilliant - Metal bodied version 1 (English) model with Rexine bag and a bonus a fully wound on roll of Verichrome Pan (plastic reels in feed and receive so 1960s) to stand develop.

Couple of recognisable shots on film. Hot air balloon launch of G-AZBX next to a Grimwades Ltd Van. The balloon was registered in Stoke from 1971 to 83 by a member of the Midwinter Pottery family and Grimwades were a pottery firm associated .

Addendum - Found the serial number - starts E so is a 1933 model.

Last edited:
You have to laugh at some of the gear sold at the bootie as they think because it's old it's worth a lot:- A guy had a Chinon CX and said I'm selling the lot with seven lenses for £150 :eek: the owner was a cheap skate in that all the seven lenses weren't Chinon (or Pentax) but various 2nd rate lenses inc extenders and even the Seconic light meter didn't work...anyway I said you'd be lucky to get £40- £50 for the lot mate" :rolleyes:
So what did I get? A litre of Castrol Edge oil ( to buy about £14) sealed for £1.50 plus other non photographic goodies...but I really wanted a bathroom cabinet but no luck.

Last edited:
Going even further back for this Sunday's find.

1930's pseudo 120 TLR Voigtlander Brilliant - Metal bodied version 1 (English) model with Rexine bag and a bonus a fully wound on roll of Verichrome Pan (plastic reels in feed and receive so 1960s) to stand develop.

Couple of recognisable shots on film. Hot air balloon launch of G-AZBX next to a Grimwades Ltd Van. The balloon was registered in Stoke from 1971 to 83 by a member of the Midwinter Pottery family and Grimwades were a pottery firm associated .

Addendum - Found the serial number - starts E so is a 1933 model.

vb--vp0918-01es.jpg

Slight shoehorn on this one as it is not "strictly" film only, but I'll only be using it for film. ;) Chance encounter in close proximity to the ongoing car boot sale, it surely had to be worth £10 to allow me to use these heavy kits out and about more often?

#1 with 10 kilo Bronica kit and tripod.
20180909_133241.jpg

#2 with lighter 5x4 kit, tripod and Yashicamat bag down below.
20180909_133532.jpg
#3 collapsed for storage and travel
20180909_133918.jpg

Surprising what you'll do when you hurt your shoulder, but never going to be a golfer!

7 Day Shop have got Kodak Gold 200 35mm 36 exp in stock again at 5 for £20.69 including UK postage. https://www.7dayshop.com/products/k...35-36-exposure-super-value-5-pack-wh2-go236x5

I don't think that's a bad price as it's finer grained than ColorPlus 200 and the warmish quality of it should be ideal for capturing those autumn colours. Perhaps good for anyone planning a trip to Scotland in October? (y) Anyway, I've just ordered mine, so thought I'd tell the rest of you about it now! :D

7 Day Shop have got Kodak Gold 200 35mm 36 exp in stock again at 5 for £20.69 including UK postage. https://www.7dayshop.com/products/k...35-36-exposure-super-value-5-pack-wh2-go236x5

I don't think that's a bad price as it's finer grained than ColorPlus 200 and the warmish quality of it should be ideal for capturing those autumn colours. Perhaps good for anyone planning a trip to Scotland in October? (y) Anyway, I've just ordered mine, so thought I'd tell the rest of you about it now! :D

Ektar 4 rolls for 23.99, not a bad deal either

Sunday's Car Boot rescue - Nikon FG-20 with a broken 'lens' ... £4

20180917_091008.jpg

Broken 'lens' removed (it was in there tight). Just put in new batteries, light seals, mirror bumper. Looking for a 52mm lens cap and will load it up for test. Not the world's most sophisticated light proof box but I do like the look of that pancake lens and good for a carry round with aperture priority and option of full manual.

Sunday's Car Boot rescue - Nikon FG-20 with a broken 'lens' ... £4

View attachment 134625

Broken 'lens' removed (it was in there tight). Just put in new batteries, light seals, mirror bumper. Looking for a 52mm lens cap and will load it up for test. Not the world's most sophisticated light proof box but I do like the look of that pancake lens and good for a carry round with aperture priority and option of full manual.

Wow what a bargain even for the lens alone.....I get at the bootie at 8 am but SLRs are scarce compared to a few years ago. I'm sure living near London doesn't help as more competition looking for camera gear.

Last edited:
Back