Holga, Toy, Charity Shop, Car Boot and other Bargains (film only please)

I got some scans back from my test roll of Colorplus through the Vivitar. Sadly the photos are all a litle on the soft side - not atrociously bad by any means, but nothing that makes me want to keep hold of the camera and lenses, so it'll likely be off to the bay.
Those third party zooms from the manual focus era always seem to be a bit of a lottery. The 80-200 (rebadged Kobori?) would have been the cheaper option from Vivitar, compared to the various versions of the premium ('Series 1') 70-210. Looks like there's a filter on the 28-70 - might be worth trying it without, if you haven't already. I bet the camera itself would perform as well as your P30T with a decent lens, unless of course it has a fault like a slightly misaligned mirror or focussing screen, which could make the zooms look worse than they are.

Those third party zooms from the manual focus era always seem to be a bit of a lottery. The 80-200 (rebadged Kobori?) would have been the cheaper option from Vivitar, compared to the various versions of the premium ('Series 1') 70-210. Looks like there's a filter on the 28-70 - might be worth trying it without, if you haven't already. I bet the camera itself would perform as well as your P30T with a decent lens, unless of course it has a fault like a slightly misaligned mirror or focussing screen, which could make the zooms look worse than they are.

They're all on the Bay now. The camera worked fine and it's in good condition, but I prefer the ergonomics of my my P30t - it feels better in my hand and is less trigger happy than the V635, which had a bit of a hair-trigger shutter release.

The guy at the bootie, I would guess, thought his Spotmatic in a soft leather case and 50mm f1.4 lens was only worth £5 as the mirror is jammed up......the shutter works OK but the mirror up seems to be more mechanical than just stuck up, so I'll have a tinker around with the bottom plate off.

Not a bootie bargain but I picked up a fully working Nikon F4 with a Nikon 35-105mm AF lens from the well known auction site last night for £100. Always wanted to give one a try and I put a bid on at the starting amount and won it. :)

Not a bootie bargain but I picked up a fully working Nikon F4 with a Nikon 35-105mm AF lens from the well known auction site last night for £100. Always wanted to give one a try and I put a bid on at the starting amount and won it. :)
Ahhhhh, and posted just below Brian who's signature is "My F4's broken" :oops: :$ I've never handled the camera, but I bought the 35-105mm when I got my F80 many years ago. I always thought it was underrated compared to the posher Nikon lenses, and I'm still happy using it on either film cameras or that other type of SLR. ;)

The guy at the bootie, I would guess, thought his Spotmatic in a soft leather case and 50mm f1.4 lens was only worth £5 as the mirror is jammed up......the shutter works OK but the mirror up seems to be more mechanical than just stuck up, so I'll have a tinker around with the bottom plate off.

H'mm puzzled as with the bottom plate off there is a set mechanism to return the mirror (a bit of plastic on the end of a spring that goes into a notch when set) well I put a few drops of oil here and there...but the mirror only returns at 1/125 and above :confused:
The only thing I can think of is the higher vibration of the faster speeds works

Does the mirror only fail to return when the camera is a) held level (i.e. not pointing up or down) and b) used in landscape orientation? I ask because I was given a Spotmatic with this fault, and although I haven't got round to fixing it, it seems to be relatively straightforward. I'm not sure I recall plastic in mine though (Spotmatic II).

Lucky you..I've got half way stripping mine down and stuck on four tiny screws locktited in. I'll have to try putting a soldering iron on them to see if that will loosen them, but I don't have a miniature solder iron ATM.

Does the mirror only fail to return when the camera is a) held level (i.e. not pointing up or down) and b) used in landscape orientation? I ask because I was given a Spotmatic with this fault, and although I haven't got round to fixing it, it seems to be relatively straightforward. I'm not sure I recall plastic in mine though (Spotmatic II).

Camera level and the same problem, the camera is usable on bright days as if I were accidentally to set it below 1/125 then just set it a 1/1000 and that clears it. It is the original spotmatic with settings on the dial for Panchro, color and empty o_O:rolleyes:
Anyway if you take the bottom plate off yours (four screws) then the lever you operate to return the mirror is the one next to the tripod mounting socket.

Camera level and the same problem, the camera is usable on bright days as if I were accidentally to set it below 1/125 then just set it a 1/1000 and that clears it. It is the original spotmatic with settings on the dial for Panchro, color and empty o_O:rolleyes:
Anyway if you take the bottom plate off yours (four screws) then the lever you operate to return the mirror is the one next to the tripod mounting socket.

On the net it said it's a common problem and oil the black cog, well I did do it before but what I eventually did is: - just kept firing it while watching tv and eventually the mirror returned at all speeds....whether it needed oiling or just using I dunno.
Anyway I can't get the exposure meter to work on a hearing aid battery....h'mm that's no problem with a separate exposure meter

Do any of the F&C section regulars want a free 35mm slide projector? I bought it from an advert in the local 'Buy and Sell' because I wanted the screen that came with it. It's a Boots TH125s (which I believe was made by Hanimex?). It's semi-automatic (you have to push the slide carrier in and out by hand) but everything seemed to work OK when I gave it a quick try (however, the usual used 'electricals' caveats apply - it's entirely your responsibility to check it and 'PAT test' it to make sure it's safe before using it!). There's a little bit of haze on the lens but it seems to project slides well enough, and it's got to be better than squinting at them through one of those little hand viewer things.

It's taking up space in the garage, so thought I'd offer it as a freebie here first before taking it to the recycling centre. It would have to be collected from Crewe/Nantwich area, unless we can arrange a shuttle delivery via an F&C meet-up (the next one would probably Smallwood Vintage Rally, near Sandbach, at the end of May - weather permitting?). Anyway, let me know if it's any use to you, first come-first served! :)

On the net it said it's a common problem and oil the black cog, well I did do it before but what I eventually did is: - just kept firing it while watching tv and eventually the mirror returned at all speeds....whether it needed oiling or just using I dunno.
Anyway I can't get the exposure meter to work on a hearing aid battery....h'mm that's no problem with a separate exposure meter

H'mm the manual says "insert new battery with pos side toward the top of the camera" WTF my meter works perfectly with the minus towards the top of the camera. Well either my camera is odd or the manual is not translated correctly and should be:- insert pos or neg side (which ever its supposed to be?)..... into the camera.

Please don,t let Brian know.:D

:D Well I'll have to persuade Andy to sell the viewfinder and battery holder and let me have the bare body for £30 (y)

Sounds like a bargain.

Sounds like a bargain.

There are quite a few bare bodies for sale in Japan with late serial no, excellent condition and no LCD bleed for 45$..erm but postage 18$ and added to that customs, vat plus royal fail ripoff or whatever.

There are quite a few bare bodies for sale in Japan with late serial no, excellent condition and no LCD bleed for 45$..erm but postage 18$ and added to that customs, vat plus royal fail ripoff or whatever.

Why would they have had the prism and battery grips/holders removed. I am guessing the body is crap.

Why would they have had the prism and battery grips/holders removed. I am guessing the body is crap.

Well before digi I would have thought it would be pros changing camera bodies, now it could be non working or LCD bleed in the view finder, corroded batteries left in battery holder and who knows the seller might not be the owner and selling on commission and all the seller does is check it's working ok.

This mornings find on the market in Newcastle (Staffs) Pentax Spotmeter V. Haggled down from £6 to £5. Batteries fitted and it is spot on.

20190514_134617.jpg

Have to smile at this in instructions .... Measure the gray 18 per cent standard reflection card (Neutral test card sold by Kodak) directly or something else with a reflectivity ratio very close to it (a Japanese male's face) to get the best results. While I do have a 18% card in my camera bag I've not found a space for a Japanese gentleman or even just his head.

Last edited:
This mornings find on the market in Newcastle (Staffs) Pentax Spotmeter V. Haggled down from £6 to £5. Batteries fitted and it is spot on.

View attachment 245142

Have to smile at this in instructions .... Measure the gray 18 per cent standard reflection card (Neutral test card sold by Kodak) directly or something else with a reflectivity ratio very close to it (a Japanese male's face) to get the best results. While I do have a 18% card in my camera bag I've not found a space for a Japanese gentleman or even just his head.

Must be the bargain of the century.

Could not say no to the £2 Planar lens with one screw missing in mount at the Crewe Flea Market last Wednesday. Screw replaced and lens working fine. Just don't tell SWMBO that I had to get an SL35E to use it, though that was a bargain on Fleabay, still has plastic protectors on base and front. 20190516_093132.jpeg

It seems to take photos too

034_SL35E_k100_0519_05 by David M Bloor, on Flickr

Last edited:
Metz hammerhead flashgun, no charger, so i can't test it, and no mount bit, for £2, i thought i could one day use it for light painting, got it home then realised it's a bit of a faff putting new nicads in.
And an £8 200mm f3.5 M42 mount lens, bit less of a bargain as when i came to clean it i spotted some whispy fungus on the rear element.

Could not say no to the £2 Planar lens with one screw missing in mount at the Crewe Flea Market last Wednesday. Screw replaced and lens working fine. Just don't tell SWMBO that I had to get an SL35E to use it, though that was a bargain on Fleabay, still has plastic protectors on base and front. View attachment 245313

It seems to take photos too

034_SL35E_k100_0519_05 by David M Bloor, on Flickr
Nice, I have the SL35M with the Rolleinar 55/1.4. Come to think of it I haven't used it in a while. Time for a trip out. IMG_20180201_184232.jpg

Emergency heating when the boiler fails?

Photograph the exact orientation of that gear, remove it, clean it and refit it. Use the lightest machine oil you can find and re-test at 1/30 or slower.

Photograph the exact orientation of that gear, remove it, clean it and refit it. Use the lightest machine oil you can find and re-test at 1/30 or slower.

H'mm thanks......taking things apart might be the correct way, but I'd rather let the oil soak in with everything in situ.....the wind on lever was also very stiff so oiled top and bottom and eventually that loosened.

Last edited:
On my way back from Edinburgh and I took a lot less photographs than I expected. I did visit a few charity shops and picked up a Manfrotto 210B/MB18 Table top tripod including case, ball head and extender. The photo is of one on eBay that is selling for £70. Mine was £25

I also got a Tamron 28mm f2.5 CW-28 for £24.99 from Cash Converters. No cameras [emoji22]Screenshot_20190702_114229.jpg

H'mm thanks......taking things apart might be the correct way, but I'd rather let the oil soak in with everything in situ.....the wind on lever was also very stiff so oiled top and bottom and eventually that loosened.
That’s fine in theory but the dirt and grime inside the camera mixes into the oil and turns it into grinding paste. The probable cause of your mirror fault, is that the second shutter curtain isn’t closing with sufficient force and so the mirror return gear isn’t spinning aggressively enough. The springs in the shutter rollers become weak with age and this is aggravated by the old lubricant gumming up. You may also find that the shutter either doesn’t open or it tapers at fast shutter speeds.
I’ve got probably a dozen or so Spotmatic bodies, of my own, on my to do list. Most are ok but I won’t use them until I’ve CLA’d them. My wife says I’m a hoarder. How dare she!

I bought a Minolta Dynax 700si from eBay to add to my collection. It came with the Quantaray MX AF 28-80mm and the 3200i Program flash for £19.99. I have loaded a roll of XP2 to try it out, everything seems to be working fine.

I'll have to see if I can get hold of a data card for it now as it has the ability to save exif data to it.IMG_20190706_170258.jpg1562436925048.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190706_174244.jpg
    IMG_20190706_174244.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 6
I bought a Minolta Dynax 700si from eBay to add to my collection. It came with the Quantaray MX AF 28-80mm and the 3200i Program flash for £19.99. I have loaded a roll of XP2 to try it out, everything seems to be working fine.

I'll have to see if I can get hold of a data card for it now as it has the ability to save exif data to it.View attachment 249230View attachment 249233

Well I'm confused with the Minolta AF models and see them at the bootie but give them a miss....mind you Canon EOS ones can be just as confusing, h'mm when they all first came out, I'd wager joe public was confused as well :rolleyes:

bought a Minolta Dynax 700si from eBay to add to my collection

Just out of curiosity, how many cameras do you now possess?
I used to be a "collectioner" and had something in the region of 150 cameras of all differing formats, and ages most of which were functional.
I am thinking that you have possibly surpassed that!

Just out of curiosity, how many cameras do you now possess?
I used to be a "collectioner" and had something in the region of 150 cameras of all differing formats, and ages most of which were functional.
I am thinking that you have possibly surpassed that!
I think I have 168 SLRs, maybe 20 rangefinders, 4 TLRs, a Kiev 60, a Bronica SQ-A kit and lots of compact cameras. Oh and a few instant cameras too.

I think I have 168 SLRs, maybe 20 rangefinders, 4 TLRs, a Kiev 60, a Bronica SQ-A kit and lots of compact cameras. Oh and a few instant cameras too.
:eek: :snaphappy: :ROFLMAO: Wow, and there was me thinking I had to get rid of about 3 or 4 SLRs as I wasn't using them. :thinking:

Last edited:
Well I'm confused with the Minolta AF models and see them at the bootie but give them a miss....mind you Canon EOS ones can be just as confusing, h'mm when they all first came out, I'd wager joe public was confused as well :rolleyes:
Minolta made great cameras and lenses, which can be had for very reasonable prices and their A mount went on to be used in the Sony Alpha digital cameras. A 700si or a 7xi is a good choice. If you see a Dynax 9 at a car boot grab it, they still sell for a couple of hundred.

About 150 cameras? You'd need about 4ft X 4ft area to display them..then on average if each camera cost £10 then that's £1500 spent :eek:

Back