Holga, Toy, Charity Shop, Car Boot and other Bargains (film only please)

Are camera like bikes? The optimum number to own being where n+1 = s-1.... where n is the number you currently own and s is the number at which you would be divorced?
Come to think of it, my ex parted when my collection was at its max! :thinking:

As I now only posses half a dozen cameras, I wonder if my chances of maintaining a relationship for more than a decade have increased?...…..Given that most are LF and take up a lot of my time in obtaining a shot, I very much doubt it!:crying::LOL:

Well I've only about 25 cameras total and keep the 35mm in a cabinet and rack...I saw this nice cabinet (years ago) going local cheap and since then it had been used for junk so what better than to display cameras (y) of course my wife went ballistic (moving the junk somewhere else) and doesn't appreciate a cabinet full of cameras. :rolleyes:
R2-09969-004A-600px.jpgR2-09969-005A-600px.jpg

Look at it this way: if you asked a stamp collector how many stamps he'd got, and he said "168" you wouldn't think it excessive - rather small, in fact. I rest my case.

Edit to add P.S. I think I have 20 35mm SLRs, 2 medium format SLRs, 1 TLR, 1 folder, 7 5x4s, 1 10x8 and a number of compacts (possibly half a dozen).

Last edited:
Well I've only about 25 cameras total and keep the 35mm in a cabinet and rack...I saw this nice cabinet (years ago) going local cheap and since then it had been used for junk so what better than to display cameras (y) of course my wife went ballistic (moving the junk somewhere else) and doesn't appreciate a cabinet full of cameras. :rolleyes:
View attachment 249251View attachment 249252
I know, I think I'm a cameraholic, or maybe cameramanic.
Look at it this way: if you asked a stamp collector how many stamps he'd got, and he said "168" you wouldn't think it excessive - rather small, in fact. I rest my case.

Edit to add P.S. I think I have 20 35mm SLRs, 2 medium format SLRs, 1 TLR, 1 folder, 7 5x4s, 1 10x8 and a number of compacts (possibly half a dozen).
:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :notworthy: :notworthy:

About 150 cameras? You'd need about 4ft X 4ft area to display them..then on average if each camera cost £10 then that's £1500 spent :eek:
4ft x 4ft, really?

4ft x 4ft, really?

When I read the post, my first reaction was to pop over to the West Yorkshire Cameras site to have a look at their interior shop photos. Specifically, to see how much of their display space would be needed to display 168 cameras. It was quite an area. On the other hand, if you only store them to show the sides rather than the fronts, less space is needed.

I'm now very curious about the other side of the collection - how many lenses?

I'd forgotten about folding cameras, box cameras and zone focus cameras (Olympus Trip 35, Ricoh 500ZF, Lomo LCA) and a couple of 16mm cameras.

When I read the post, my first reaction was to pop over to the West Yorkshire Cameras site to have a look at their interior shop photos. Specifically, to see how much of their display space would be needed to display 168 cameras. It was quite an area. On the other hand, if you only store them to show the sides rather than the fronts, less space is needed.

I'm now very curious about the other side of the collection - how many lenses?
Just one more

4ft x 4ft, really?

Well assuming 150 cameras don't have 150 lenses...so if each camera is roughly 5.5"X3" then =16.5sq inches in area...which is 0.114sq ft ..so 0.114X 150 cameras= 17.1 sq ft which is roughly 4ftX4ft.

Just one more
I have at least 76, there's probably some I haven't put in my list yet. A third of those, well 25, are 50/55/58mm lenses

I use Tamron lenses to provide inter-system usability. I have 10 lenses ranging from 24mm to 500mm and 11 different mounts, make that 13 if you include the NEX and M4/3.

I also have multiples of Nikon, C/Y, FD and Minolta mounts. Minolta seem to be the ones you most often find on Tamron lenses, followed by FD mounts.

My only dedicated set of lenses are my Nikon ones, I have a 50/2 and 135/3.5 in Pre-Ai. In Ai-s I have a 50/1.4, 4x 50/1.8 (E), M-N 55/2.8, 85/2, 105/2.5, 35-105/3.5-4.5, 35-135/3.5-4.5. For AF I have AF Nikkor 28/2.8, 50/1.8, 85/1.8 and AF-S M-N 60/2.8 G ED. I also have a Yongnuo 35/2.

Typing that has made me realise some of them are missing from the list. Make it at least 80 [emoji849]

Well assuming 150 cameras don't have 150 lenses...so if each camera is roughly 5.5"X3" then =16.5sq inches in area...which is 0.114sq ft ..so 0.114X 150 cameras= 17.1 sq ft which is roughly 4ftX4ft.
4ft x 4ft, really?
and to think that Bri calculated that using nothing more than his ( flashgun) fried brain cells and his ancient abacus!:exit::LOL:

I'm impressed! (y)

What a filmie dreams of? erm well although some of the lenses were ok (nothing special) I could only find one camera that seems to half work (used my own battery)..but that frying pan looks useful o_O:rolleyes:
So what did I buy? well I took the battery holder off a Konica FT1 and he accepted a quid.
vlcq6Uc.jpg

H1Z30Vy.jpg

At the steam rally I visited the other weekend there was a stall selling bric-a-brac, and in a box were a bunch of various photo bits-and-bobs (flashes, filters and the like). I managed to get a Pentax Espio 140M compact (£1), 2 sets of Bay 1 close up filters (£1 per set), another Bay 1 yellow filter (£1 - although this might not actuallybe Bay 1 on inspection), and a Tamron 80-210mm lens with Canon FD Adaptall (£3).

The Espio works fine and I've shot a couple of rolls through it. It's maybe not as sharp as the Canon Sure Shot comapcts I have, but it's not far off. It does have a few features that the Canons don't have though , and it does seem to be fairly sharp even at 140mm.

I've had okay luck the last month or so, I had to replace a capacitors in the x700 but other then replacing a lot of light seals and cleaning contacts all have worked. Nothing super special, but I enjoy rotating cameras in and out of use, as I find it keeps photowalks fresh.

67402407_117661626187636_7382528910392557568_n.jpg67112709_117659209521211_2171269589202108416_n.jpg

Hi @MarkTrent welcome to TP and to the very best bit, fusty and crusty where we all get on wll together and always stay on topic (or maybe not, ahem)!

One for the Pentax guys at the bootie there was an SLR SFX with two Pentax zoom lenses for £10...but the catch was the mirror was stuck up and the seller wouldn't go any lower as she said the lenses were worth £5 ea....so I passed.

Last edited:
is that not simply a battery power failure issue much of the time?

Could be as it is with the Olympus OMs which have a mirror up problem...but if the SFX didn't work I would be stuck with two AF Pentax zooms :canon::nikon:

This morning's car booty. Batteries in and running, will need a clean and new light seals. Happy Bunny.

View attachment 250607

EDIT < OK who noticed that is a manual for a 139 and the camera is a 137 MD? >
Oh well, two good lenses anyway. Camera has inconsistent shutter speeds. First exposure is slow and then speeds up over a couple of shots (tested with a flash and back open) after a few mins without shooting goes back to slow. Probably a problem with the shutter release solenoid, that is buried under mirror box and would need a complete re-build. So for now lenses will go on my compatible Yashicas.

Last edited:
Oh well, two good lenses anyway. Camera has inconsistent shutter speeds. First exposure is slow and then speeds up over a couple of shots (tested with a flash and back open) after a few mins without shooting goes back to slow. Probably a problem with the shutter release solenoid, that is buried under mirror box and would need a complete re-build. So for now lenses will go on my compatible Yashicas.

Shutter problems that are similar....well I sit watching tv while operating the shutter say for about 50-100 times, as it just might need to be used.

Picked up these two at a charity shop in Biddulph on Thursday at a very reasonable price. Had to jury rig a battery pack for the T90 to test it and as it works have ordered a proper battery tray (which cost the same as the two cameras). First film through the T90 and will test the nice and simple AT-1 soon (it is a model I don't have).

2019-07-27 19.16.37.jpg

Shot from the T90 with a Canon FD 35-70 Zoom on Kentmere 100 in 25C !!! stock ID11

053_t90_k100_0719_11s.jpg

Last edited:
I know we're all supposed to wrinkle our noses and say, yuck, a T90, fugliest camera ever known, etc. But to me it doesn't look much worse than most placcie autofocus cameras...o_O:coat:

Of course, it's not a Pentax so it's ugly by definition! ;)

I know we're all supposed to wrinkle our noses and say, yuck, a T90, fugliest camera ever known, etc. But to me it doesn't look much worse than most placcie autofocus cameras...o_O:coat:

Of course, it's not a Pentax so it's ugly by definition! ;)

It's prettier than my Pentax SFXn !! (just) :) I just have to keep reminding myself to focus as it handles like an EOS !!

Last edited:
It's prettier than my Pentax SFXn !! (just) :) I just have to keep reminding myself to focus as it handles like an EOS !!

David they are all jealous of your T90 and what it can do compared to the cameras they have o_O:D
It looks like you wear glasses (like me)...the annoying thing is Canon made a great camera but didn't bother to put in adjustable dioptre viewfinder o_O:(

David they are all jealous of your T90 and what it can do compared to the cameras they have o_O:D
It looks like you wear glasses (like me)...the annoying thing is Canon made a great camera but didn't bother to put in adjustable dioptre viewfinder o_O:(
The T90 does have a high eye relief so it is less likely to scratch my glasses and as I now wear varifocals I have my own 'in-built' dioptre adjustment ;-)

I know we're all supposed to wrinkle our noses and say, yuck, a T90, fugliest camera ever known, etc.

I think that the Tank has a charm all of it's own. To me it's basically "the missing link" - frankly it IS the last and possibly best (tempered by the fact that it's reliant on electricals that were being pushed to the limits of what they could achieve at that time - e.g. LCD screens that had "shelf lifes" that were coming dur 5 years or so ago etc) FD lens body that Canon made. It's also pretty much my "unicorn" - i've bought 4 of them, all of which were described as working perfectly, none of which have been so when they've arrived with me. Now, I know that's because i've cheap-assed it - I could have bought one for £150 or so from a reputable ebay vendor (sic) rather than the £40-50 ones I tried, but, in all honesty, it'd be largely a "collection completer" rather than something I'd use all that regularly, mainly as if I want to shoot MF lenses on 35mm its almost always 28 or 50mm and you lose all the advantages of small and light - so I'd probably just chuck the 28-105L on the EOS-1v or the EOS-3. It's not that the T90's bad in any way, it's just that the EOS's are pretty much perfection (for that kind of thing)

The T90 really does show where Canon were intending to go when they made the jump to AF lenses. when you put it in a row between the T80 and the EOS 650 you can see my "missing link" comment - expand the row to the F1, T80, T90, EOS 650 and the first generation EOS-1 and its like that ascent of man image...

So yeah, for me the T90 is excellent - it's the T50 and T70's that are completely hideous.

It's probably also the only thing Brian and I will agree (at least partially) on...

I maintain that it's a case of mistaken identity. The T90 is a classic design (by Luigi Colani, no less) and the first camera with the ergonomic shape that was followed by nearly everyone else, along with the move to electronic controls. It's a ground-breaking camera and a classic. The T50 and T70, on the other hand, look like props stolen from the set of Blake's 7.

I appreciate how often I make this case but it's a Pavlovian response whenever I hear someone being critical of the T90. :mad:

ETA: and now I've read the rest of the thread and see that Mark's already made the same point. I know I should have continued reading instead of stomping my feet straight away but that's how quickly I jump when someone says the T90 is fugly. :whistle:

Last edited:
Good weekend, couple of toy camera, a Instax (never owned one before) and I've finally found a cheap Leica ;) . The grand total of £20 was spent.
View attachment 251089

Instax (or other instant cameras) are nice to use. The image quality isn't the best, but because you're guaranteed a print, they're great for snapshots of family / friends / pets etc. that you can then stick on the side of the fridge or something.

I maintain that it's a case of mistaken identity. The T90 is a classic design (by Luigi Colani, no less) and the first camera with the ergonomic shape that was followed by nearly everyone else, along with the move to electronic controls. It's a ground-breaking camera and a classic. The T50 and T70, on the other hand, look like props stolen from the set of Blake's 7.

I appreciate how often I make this case but it's a Pavlovian response whenever I hear someone being critical of the T90. :mad:

had to like this, unlike it, then like it again, I liked it so much...

Back