Holidays 2020

Is that the new airport?

I used to like the old one because you could sit on the beach and the planes used to come in right over your head. Training ground for the Patrulla Aguila display team as well.

Yes it is, and it’s rubbish. A Costa Coffee (closed) and a Subway were the only refreshment places.
According to my taxi driver it receives four flights a day.

In addition to the week in Umbria after Easter, I'm also going to York for six days at the end of that month as it's been about 40 years since my sole visit to the National Railway museum and the castle, and am currently looking at a couple of nights in Ghent in early March for the purpose of seeing the Van Eyck exhibition that's on at the moment.

California in April again for a couple of weeks; NY for thanksgiving again (another week) in November. I'm hoping for something in the middle of all this too, perhaps a Canada/Florida side of things.

Been to Ballachulish for a couple of days- snow and rain and wind- next stop Madeira then the borders with the car club for a daft weekend, later the Ardennes with said car club and Sorrento in August. May need a late holiday in the year get over the travelling.

and am currently looking at a couple of nights in Ghent in early March for the purpose of seeing the Van Eyck exhibition that's on at the moment.
Now booked for three nights plus Eurostar and an exhibition ticket. That will be three holidays before May, when some years I don't go on holiday at all and the years that I do it's typically for no more than a week.

Looking at Lesvos for the Greek Easter celebrations in April - hoping to embed a little in the culture. Summer not sorted yet, but might end up going out to NZ in the autumn where our son is working this year.
We’re just back from NZ. Spent 5 weeks touring north and south islands. What a fabulous country, my wife and me both said if we were young enough we’d think about emigrating out there permanently but we’re both in our 60s and they wouldn’t take us now. Where’s your son living?

We spent a week in Hawaii on the way back too. Nice place, but NZ won our hearts.

A boat to Santander then 2 weeks driving up through France to Cherbourg staying at Saumur and Sarlat , for 6 and 5 nights so if anyone had and don't miss sights in those areas I'd appreciate knowing about them

Worried that my trip to Nice on Saturday might be impacted by the french air traffic controllers going on strike from this evening.

A boat to Santander then 2 weeks driving up through France to Cherbourg staying at Saumur and Sarlat , for 6 and 5 nights so if anyone had and don't miss sights in those areas I'd appreciate knowing about them

Saumur was a favourite place for us (though more than 20 years ago). Visit Ackerman and Laurant wine caves, the mushroom caves, the gallo-roman ruins outside the town, the castle/chateau & generally wander round the town & surrounding area. That's what I can recall right now, but there should be a lot more.

Edinburgh trip was in jeopardy for a few hours but Mrs Nod has booked new flights (better times and cheaper!) to take us where Flybe were going to.

Just read on información website that there are now 6 cases of COVID-19 in the province of Alicante. I’m off there again next month as long as the flights are still going.

So has anyone had their travel plans impacted by Covid-19 yet?
Not yet. I've already been to Belgium last week, the van Eyck exhibition was excellent. My trip to Italy next month is still on, officially, but given that things seem to be changing day by day who knows whether it will happen or not. It's with a tour operator so if it does get cancelled I should be OK, the only possible problem is as the flight out is very, very early I booked a night at the Softel hotel at the entrance to terminal 5 and that wouldn't be covered by the operator.

We are booked to go to Lake Como in October, hopefully this will all be over by then

From a selfish perspective we are having a low key year with a view to Oz in 2021. A week in cornwall late July and something in the next month or 2. Was thinking of a 2/3 nights in Berlin or Madrid but less likely now due to disruption, more likely a weekend at Centreparcs.

3 holidays, all on hold.
Wife diagnosed with breast cancer.
Life on hold until we beat the crap out of cancer.

3 holidays, all on hold.
sorry to hear that, Hope she beats it

3 holidays, all on hold.
Sorry to hear that.
My wife was diagnosed in 2013 and is doing well now.
We know what you will both be going through.

3 holidays, all on hold.

Sorry to hear that - best wishes to both. Keep thinking positively, and hope you stamp all over it!

3 holidays, all on hold.

I'm truly sorry to hear that. I hope she gets remission and quickly, & you both stamp all over it

So has anyone had their travel plans impacted by Covid-19 yet?

I'm not sure yet. I know that Quantas have doubled capacity on there Perth-London route and reduced capacity on most routes that go Aus-Middle East- Europe so I'm just starting to think getting back maybe interesting

Some people’s trips to Benidorm (though why would you go there?) will be affected. I just read on Información that some hotels are closing for a few weeks as they are already seeing a significant downturn in bookings.

Some people’s trips to Benidorm (though why would you go there?) will be affected. I just read on Información that some hotels are closing for a few weeks as they are already seeing a significant downturn in bookings.
Yes agree I don’t get going to Benidorm either but I guess different people like different things
We almost booked to go to Spain to see the lynx again before all this started glad we didn’t but am hoping to go next year as Spain is a lovely place and the people where we went were so friendly

Yes agree I don’t get going to Benidorm either but I guess different people like different things
We almost booked to go to Spain to see the lynx again before all this started glad we didn’t but am hoping to go next year as Spain is a lovely place and the people where we went were so friendly

49 days, 7 hours till my next flight to Spain.

Hopefully.

3 holidays, all on hold.
I'm really sorry to hear that Brian.
I hope all goes well on the 19th (y)

Back