Holidays 2020

Me too, just seen that the EU saying there will be a holiday season.
Hope we get invited to the party, insurance should be ok if the foreign office allows travel

While we may be able to go away, will it be any good? For example, I thing Germany won't be opening up pubs till end of August. So you may well get somewhere but very limited on food/drink and tourist stuff.

Will the UKs 14 day quarantine be lifted by then or will people need another 14 days off before returning to work? Or just fly via France or Ireland.

Italy is opening its borders on June 3rd, so hopefully I will be going to Florence.

Italy is opening its borders on June 3rd, so hopefully I will be going to Florence.

Without insurance if the foreign office advise against travel there.
Also 14 day quarantine on your return to the UK, no longer exempt incoming from France
Netherlands are keeping their border closed until at least June 15th

Last edited:
Also 14 day quarantine on your return to the UK, no longer exempt incoming from France

Yep. I know all that.

As things stand I could easily to 14 days as working from home - don't know what Ricardo's situation is. And that ignores the fact that if you were to go out to work/shops, no-one would know!!!

As things stand I could easily to 14 days as working from home - don't know what Ricardo's situation is. And that ignores the fact that if you were to go out to work/shops, no-one would know!!!

14 days at home is no problem to me, but I don't have to work, photos might get edited promptly for once too.
Lack of insurance is more of a concern, mainly for being repatriated in case of illness or injury, very costly.

Not good you think it might be ok to just ignore the regulations, very negligent, but I forgot you are anti lockdown

Seems bonkers even thinking about going on a plane, you want to relax about it Richard.
I have no intention of going away this year.

We were due to go to Italy in August but cancelled on Friday as the balance was due this week and didn’t fancy the ‘Refund Fight’, typical timing, but on reflection, things may change back, and we are both on the ‘Endangered Species’ list so holidays requiring flying may need to wait a while. But if you can and do go, enjoy.

My holiday to Lake Como in October has just gone due to SLG going into administration.

We’d love to do Montenegro (coast) again in October.

Not booking anything until last minute though in case.

Stunning place off season (and cheap as chips!)

We had planned to visit Lesvos during the Greek Orthodox Easter, but may well see if we can get there for the olive harvest instead. Otherwise I suspect this uear may be a travel write-off.

Have seen we can get flights to Cyprus in late August for a great price - however its a risk as government is advising on no travel so will not be able to get a refund/claim on insurance if things happen like we need to isolate, cyprus bans UK visitors (or puts a quarantine in place) or we still have the 14 day rule. Is that a good summary or have I got this wrong?

I can see the government lifting the 14 day rule but not till the start of Sept, so it will put families off travelling.

Have seen we can get flights to Cyprus in late August for a great price - however its a risk as government is advising on no travel so will not be able to get a refund/claim on insurance if things happen like we need to isolate, cyprus bans UK visitors (or puts a quarantine in place) or we still have the 14 day rule. Is that a good summary or have I got this wrong?

I can see the government lifting the 14 day rule but not till the start of Sept, so it will put families off travelling.

My money is on the ban being lifted for EU and Schengen countries on July 20th.
Start of the kids holidays and lots of places are using that as a start date for accomodation

My money is on the ban being lifted for EU and Schengen countries on July 20th.
Start of the kids holidays and lots of places are using that as a start date for accomodation
There was talk on BBC News this morning that the kids summer holidays may start a week later this year.

Kids being away on summer holidays would be a reason for me not to book!

Our holiday for July just got cancelled, not surprising and to be honest a relief.

Where were you going?

It was our 25th anniversary and we had always wanted to go to the Baja peninsular, we were staying in Los Cabos at the Pacifica, we have now re-booked to go to Costa Rica next year as they have changed the Cabo fight day from a friday to a tuesday, which would mean taking another week off work.

Oh well there goes Florence. Flights cancelled. That’s two overseas trips I’ve lost this year so far. So glad I got the South of France squeezed in before lockdown!

Just read that the number of new cases in Spain has taken an alarming rise upwards.

Just cancelled our planned trip to the Lakes with our granddaughter who is 7. I had hoped the Govt might relax the family bubble rules to allow grandparents(2 of us) to take her in our motorhome but it hasn't happened.

Just cancelled our planned trip to the Lakes with our granddaughter who is 7. I had hoped the Govt might relax the family bubble rules to allow grandparents(2 of us) to take her in our motorhome but it hasn't happened.

Well I doubt there is anything stopping you as cant see how that can be enforced - surely you could just say you were checking your eyesight anyway!!!

I don't think we will get a holiday in this year. Was thinking of somewhere in August but the UK holiday industry looks like Tescos loo roll aisle did at lockdown - empty!!!

That said, I am not so bothered. We would have liked to return to Cornwall but literally nothing there. Now Cornwall can be busy at the best of times, maybe in previous summers they have been at 80% or 90% capacity, but seems like 100% this year, so more people trying to get into restaurants who are themselves operating at lower capacities! So even if we could go, it will be packed!

Well I doubt there is anything stopping you as cant see how that can be enforced - surely you could just say you were checking your eyesight anyway!!!

I don't think we will get a holiday in this year. Was thinking of somewhere in August but the UK holiday industry looks like Tescos loo roll aisle did at lockdown - empty!!!

That said, I am not so bothered. We would have liked to return to Cornwall but literally nothing there. Now Cornwall can be busy at the best of times, maybe in previous summers they have been at 80% or 90% capacity, but seems like 100% this year, so more people trying to get into restaurants who are themselves operating at lower capacities! So even if we could go, it will be packed!
I am sure you are right, however having been annoyed at the suggestion that those in power disregarded the lockdown rules I would feel a hypocrite if I followed their example. I would not ask my daughter to break the rules either. It's a matter of principle.

I am sure you are right, however having been annoyed at the suggestion that those in power disregarded the lockdown rules I would feel a hypocrite if I followed their example. I would not ask my daughter to break the rules either. It's a matter of principle.
Surely if people from 2 households are allowed to stay overnight at each others houses, your granddaughter could have stayed in your motor home?

Surely if people from 2 households are allowed to stay overnight at each others houses, your granddaughter could have stayed in your motor home?
As I understand it, the rules say you can have guests stay overnight but you must follow the social distancing rules, impossible to do with 3 people in a 7m x 2m box.

Text below copied from HM Govt website

you can stay overnight in someone else’s home. However, you should ensure you maintain social distancing with anyone you do not live with or who is not in your support bubble. Take particular care to maintain excellent hygiene - washing hands and surfaces - and avoid using shared facilities like bathrooms wherever possible.

As I understand it, the rules say you can have guests stay overnight but you must follow the social distancing rules, impossible to do with 3 people in a 7m x 2m box.

Text below copied from HM Govt website

you can stay overnight in someone else’s home. However, you should ensure you maintain social distancing with anyone you do not live with or who is not in your support bubble. Take particular care to maintain excellent hygiene - washing hands and surfaces - and avoid using shared facilities like bathrooms wherever possible.
Ah, OK got it.
That's a shame.

Just read that the number of new cases in Spain has taken an alarming rise upwards.

They have:
15/7 895 - 16/7 1361 - 17/7 1406.
Not a good sign.
Did you see the chaos in Magaluf, where they have closed the Strip due to German and British tourists getting drunk, no social distancing and no mask wearing.

It seems a long time since our last holiday in September 2019, when we drove to Vienna via Germany, stunning scenery, great food, excellent beer (stayed for a few nights at a restored brewery in Germany which still produced its own stuff).
Strangely, I have no wish to go away at the moment, more concerned with the pair of us staying safe.
We are getting a couple of hours walk most days, as we have a nature reserve a couple of hundred metres from the house. The wildlife is abundant and we saw a deer yesterday for the first time. We have both lost a few kilos in weight so that is good.

They have:
15/7 895 - 16/7 1361 - 17/7 1406.
Not a good sign.
Did you see the chaos in Magaluf, where they have closed the Strip due to German and British tourists getting drunk, no social distancing and no mask wearing.

I did. Shameful.

From Monday in the whole of the Valencian Community (so that includes Chavidorm) it will be law to wear masks in all public places except beaches, swimming pools and outdoor beauty spots.

Strangely it seems to be northern autonomous communities (Aragón and Cataluña) that are seeing the biggest increases.

Just booked an Airbnb in Scotland for August, near Oban

Back