Holidays 2020

I don't know if we'll be going to California now.. Was all planned for leaving April 17 until May 5... I doubt I'll be able to get any of the payment back though! :(

I don't know if we'll be going to California now.. Was all planned for leaving April 17 until May 5... I doubt I'll be able to get any of the payment back though! :(

If you have insurance you might be able to, depends what restrictions are in place then

Last edited:
If you have insurance you might be able to, depends what restrictions are in place then

Non at all sadly, we never bothered with it ever before! So unless I get something with AMEX which I doubt, we're high and dry. Flights were not too expensive at all really, more so the AirbNb etc while we're there.

Non at all sadly, we never bothered with it ever before! So unless I get something with AMEX which I doubt, we're high and dry. Flights were not too expensive at all really, more so the AirbNb etc while we're there.

Very surprised about you not having insurance, doesn't the cost of being ill in the US concern you?

Last edited:
The Foreign Office have now advised against travelling to some parts of Spain.

Very surprised about you not having insurance, doesn't the cost of being ill in the US concern you?

We've never really even thought about it, to be honest, but I think you're right it's a bad idea to not have it! I vaguely thing I have something with one of my packaged bank accounts, but I'm not sure, I need to check! You've probably guessed by now, I'm not exactly the top of the pile when it comes to insurance!

Just realized we do, with Nationwide Building Society one of the spare accounts we have. Time to read up on if that will be of any use!

Some people’s trips to Benidorm (though why would you go there?) will be affected.

It's a cheap family destination with lots to do...likewise a popular party destination.
Nothing wrong with that if that's what people can afford or like.

Just realized we do, with Nationwide Building Society one of the spare accounts we have. Time to read up on if that will be of any use!

Good news, its the health implications with associated costs that are the real issue and possible massive expense
Think my wife gets that from her Nationwide Flex Account, only her though so we get an annual policy for us both

Hope it works out well whether you get to go or not

Last edited:
E Mail last night telling me Madeira shut! Now waiting for travel company to contact us re refund/rebook, might take a few days since they’ll be busy!, SWMBO upstairs unpacking- loudly- suspect lunch out might be required. Might shoot down to the lakes for a couple of days, can’t do anything about the situation and mother’s nursing home is on lockdown so visits allowed.
Will we get to Italy in August she asks, have I got a crystal ball was not the right answer.

best wishes to you @Cockney and your wife - hope all goes well.

i'm suspecting i won't get to iceland in June so will rebook for 2021 if that is the case (as i wanted to go in this time for puffins/daylight). it's really hard to not look at it all from a selfish perspective. myself and my hit the big numbers this year so had more planned, plus gigs, shows, chartiy events etc. it all doesnt feel real! Wishing i'd got an annual travel insruance policy, not just single trip for iceland as it was silly really before all this as i was likely to go away again. boo.

i'm suspecting i won't get to iceland in June so will rebook for 2021 if that is the case (as i wanted to go in this time for puffins/daylight). it's really hard to not look at it all from a selfish perspective. myself and my hit the big numbers this year so had more planned, plus gigs, shows, chartiy events etc. it all doesnt feel real! Wishing i'd got an annual travel insruance policy, not just single trip for iceland as it was silly really before all this as i was likely to go away again. boo.
Thank you.

Can’t believe my flight to Spain on April 30th is still showing as confirmed.

I’m itching for this to be over just so I can get away for a while.

Canada booked for August.....hopefully it won't be the third time unlucky for us after Thomas Cook going bust and Easy Jet cancelling our flights to Slovenia in Feb.

Can’t believe my flight to Spain on April 30th is still showing as confirmed.

I’m itching for this to be over just so I can get away for a while.

Seems unlikely but I hope they're right. For you and all of us.

My trip to Munich where I should be now was cancelled, Stuttgart in June is looking very doubtful too.
Next is the Netherlands at the beginning of August, not overly hopeful for that either.
Mighty glad I did get an annual policy although everyone apart from Eurostar has been very good with refunds.

When this is all sorted we will no doubt have a bloody good holiday, maybe Christmas somewhere nice if we stay healthy.

My trip to Munich where I should be now was cancelled, Stuttgart in June is looking very doubtful too.
Next is the Netherlands at the beginning of August, not overly hopeful for that either.
Mighty glad I did get an annual policy although everyone apart from Eurostar has been very good with refunds.

When this is all sorted we will no doubt have a bloody good holiday, maybe Christmas somewhere nice if we stay healthy.

Instead of cancelling our Crete trip we got the date put back. So we have the price fixed. Can't decide if holiday prices will go through the roof in the rush or through the floor due to folks being broke.

Instead of cancelling our Crete trip we got the date put back. So we have the price fixed. Can't decide if holiday prices will go through the roof in the rush or through the floor due to folks being broke.
Hard to tell, think we have one credit note from a hotel in Paris where we were staying before getting an onward train.
Sort of places we go will probably stay about the same, usually European cities via rail

As no Iceland is looking increasingly likely, im hoping the car hire place will honour the price i have booked if i book next year as i booked it on a special offer (much needed with icelandic car hire prices in June!) i will hope to book the same accomodation - all of these i can cancel til quite near the date so i have not done yet just as i guess i am feeling hopeful even if i am still certain it wont happen. I just wont be able to book it for real as easyjet schedule does not go beyond feb (they have already offered free change to flights next year but if they havnt agreed them i dont know what they will offer as i want to go in june for a specific reason) and i will need to check a few things first beacause the original dates i booked i ended up having to change as there was two big youth football tournaments on the westman islands so booking a ferry was not possible so i changed the dates so i'd have to work around that again.

was meant to be planning a family holiday but we hadnt decided where or when so i suspect that will switch to next year too. had thought about a short trip to dubrovik on my milestone birthday to try and forget it was happening but i've no idea on that right now, later in the year but who knows. i was just glad i did not plan a HUGE trip like i did for the last milestone (new zealand) as that would have been far more stressful and upsetting (again, still on the selfish side of things)

i also usually do 3 Uk summer weekend to visit friends in cheshire, somerset and wiltshire so these also looking somewhat unlikley.

Last edited:
I’ve decided that if I lose all my planned overseas trips this year I’ll use some of the time to do this. I’ve never been further north than Perth.

Adjustments.JPG

I’ve decided that if I lose all my planned overseas trips this year I’ll use some of the time to do this. I’ve never been further north than Perth.

View attachment 277560

Been having vaguely similar thoughts myself, but a bit more southwards.
My paternal grandma came from near Brechin, Angus and traced her birth records back to a small village there
Thought of taking a leisurely trip there giving Scotland and Northumberland a look enroute

View attachment 277560

Did the NC500 last year. I’m sure you won’t be disappointed. Under normal circumstances I would suggest booking all your accommodation in advance. The west and north coasts are by far the best from a photography point of view.

The new quarantine after re-entering the country poses some interesting questions re work. If I go abroad later in the year I will then miss work for 2 weeks because I’ll have to put myself in quarantine. Could an employee then start a disciplinary process for doing something wilfully that would cause me to not go to work?

The new quarantine after re-entering the country poses some interesting questions re work. If I go abroad later in the year I will then miss work for 2 weeks because I’ll have to put myself in quarantine. Could an employee then start a disciplinary process for doing something wilfully that would cause me to not go to work?

Enquire before you intend to go, might be able to take a couple of weeks unpaid leave.
I can see this not applying to the EU as well as the ROI if our near neighbours allow travel in the near future
Hoping to get over to Germany by rail later in the summer, wonder if quarantine will apply to Eurostar too?

I see those entering from France won’t have to self quarantine.

Eurostar it is then, hopefully travel via France into the bordering countries too if the Schengen rules apply.

14 days indoors on my return wouldn't have been too awful
For once all the photos would have been catalogued and edited promptly

Last edited:
Spain is preparing to reopen its borders from early July - but Britons may have an extended wait before being able to travel there for holidays.
A reopening of borders, which have been closed since mid-March amid the coronavirus pandemic, could initially be for Schengen countries only, according to Spanish foreign ministry sources.
There are 26 countries in Europe's Schengen area, which ensures relaxed border crossings between members, and does not include the UK.

In my mind I have written off all trips abroad for the whole 2020. I can't see travel will be feasible this year, even if it is, there is a high likelihood of a 2 week quarantine of either end. It's just not worth it.

In my mind I have written off all trips abroad for the whole 2020. I can't see travel will be feasible this year, even if it is, there is a high likelihood of a 2 week quarantine of either end. It's just not worth it.

I’m clinging on to hope. I’m desperate to get away.

I’m clinging on to hope. I’m desperate to get away.

Me too, just seen that the EU saying there will be a holiday season.
Hope we get invited to the party, insurance should be ok if the foreign office allows travel

Back