Holryn's Photo 52 - Part 2 - Weeks 48, 49 & 50 added.

I'm jealous. I don't even have a shed let alone bits to have in one ;)

It's a nice idea and cleanly taken but possibly a little cluttered having the three objects there. I'd be tempted to lose one, but having said that I really like it :)

I really like you LIGHT image, great colour, DOF and concept, well done ;)

Project: this is a tough one, this is a good take on the subject matter

Thanks Dade.

I'm jealous. I don't even have a shed let alone bits to have in one ;)

It's a nice idea and cleanly taken but possibly a little cluttered having the three objects there. I'd be tempted to lose one, but having said that I really like it :)

Cheers Darren.

good image for a difficult theme. Well lit too.

Thanks JL

Probably the most literal interpretation I've seen this week, but it definitely works.

Nice clean, crisp image and I actually like the balance given to it by having 3 objects on display. I think that the drawing of the bracket top left is maybe a step too far though and it seems a bit out of place with the rest of the drawing. Not a major problem, but I think it might have benefited from a bit more open space in that area.

Last edited:
It works, it's very clear, and fits perfectly. The simplicity is great, and the balance of the three works really well.

Probably the most literal interpretation I've seen this week, but it definitely works.

Nice clean, crisp image and I actually like the balance given to it by having 3 objects on display. I think that the drawing of the bracket top left is maybe a step too far though and it seems a bit out of place with the rest of the drawing. Not a major problem, but I think it might have benefited from a bit more open space in that area.

Thanks Sarah. Was a little stumped to be honest.

It works, it's very clear, and fits perfectly. The simplicity is great, and the balance of the three works really well.

Thanks John.

Another obvious shot. Lacking inspiration again I'm afraid. :(

I think you're being too harsh on yourself Paul, I think this is a strong image. I like the composition you have used, it fills the frame, the lighting is good, it works. Iain

I know what you mean about inspiration or lack there of ! However I like this - it certainly fits the theme and I like the lighting.

It works for me Paul, in fact, it's better than my take on the same thing... nicely done.

I was dying to find some old film but then realised the last time I used any I was about 7 :)

I like the lighting on this a lot Paul. It's a strong and contrasty image and that appeals to me. Not quite so sure about the angle, but it's definitely not a shot to be disappointed with.

Project: I like this, Paul - and think the drawing and the objects work well together. I'm trying to work out what you'd make from the drawing - it looks very technical to me. :)

Film: The lighting works really well on this - especially the top edge of the film. Looking at the kinks at the end of the leader makes me think you've had this for a while. It would be interesting to see the results of actually using it. ;) The composition works well, too and the eye naturally follows the film round the frame. (y)

Jean

Sorry Paul - I somehow fell behind with your thread.

Surfaces: brilliant conception and beautifully done - just perfect. One for the wall, I think. :clap::clap:

Light: another cracker and not at all obvious to the rest of us! The contrast in colour has come out really well and I love the semi-abstract feel to this. :clap::clap:

Project: a very nice clean feel to this that reminds me of illustrations in catalogues or "how-to" books of the 1950s. I prefer the three objects - I don't think two would balance so well.

Film: may be an obvious shot but I like the angled composition. I'm just a little bothered by the pale streak beside the left edge of the canister - can you blend it in a bit better?

despite what you call a lack of inspiration its a nicely executed shot, well lit and on theme. The only thing i could add would be to try a slightly different composition to incorporate the make and speed of the film.

Thanks Chris, I actually kept the make out of shot as it was a cheap nasty roll.

I think you're being too harsh on yourself Paul, I think this is a strong image. I like the composition you have used, it fills the frame, the lighting is good, it works. Iain

I know what you mean about inspiration or lack there of ! However I like this - it certainly fits the theme and I like the lighting.

It works for me Paul, in fact, it's better than my take on the same thing... nicely done.

Thanks Guys.

I was dying to find some old film but then realised the last time I used any I was about 7 :)

I like the lighting on this a lot Paul. It's a strong and contrasty image and that appeals to me. Not quite so sure about the angle, but it's definitely not a shot to be disappointed with.

Thanks Darren.

I seem to have quite a few unopened roles lying about the place - don't know why - haven't used a film camera in many years. I tried other angle but it was a little boring.

Hi Paul, I also like this one, especially the lighting and the composition.

Jenny

Thank you Jenny.

Project: I like this, Paul - and think the drawing and the objects work well together. I'm trying to work out what you'd make from the drawing - it looks very technical to me. :)

Film: The lighting works really well on this - especially the top edge of the film. Looking at the kinks at the end of the leader makes me think you've had this for a while. It would be interesting to see the results of actually using it. ;) The composition works well, too and the eye naturally follows the film round the frame. (y)

Jean

Thanks Jean - the drawing was something I found on the internet - it resembled the bracket in the photo so I downloaded it for the backdrop.

The film was actually in my OM10 - probably for over 20 years :shake: It may have pics on it. I will have to see.

I racked my brains this week to find an interesting composition for a roll of film . . . and you've cracked it (y)
Love the angle and the way that the curl of film leads you around the frame.

It may be the obvious subject choice, but you've really done it justice.

Thanks Sarah.

Sorry Paul - I somehow fell behind with your thread.

Surfaces: brilliant conception and beautifully done - just perfect. One for the wall, I think. :clap::clap:

Light: another cracker and not at all obvious to the rest of us! The contrast in colour has come out really well and I love the semi-abstract feel to this. :clap::clap:

Project: a very nice clean feel to this that reminds me of illustrations in catalogues or "how-to" books of the 1950s. I prefer the three objects - I don't think two would balance so well.

Film: may be an obvious shot but I like the angled composition. I'm just a little bothered by the pale streak beside the left edge of the canister - can you blend it in a bit better?

Thanks for the comments Tracer. Do you mean the light around the bottom of the film roll? I'll see if I can tone it down.

A little behind with last week.

Here we go - Dirty Money:

Not too sure if the composition works on this.

Cracking idea Paul. Lighting and colouring look good, but like you I'm not sure about the composition. Was the blur added in PP as it looks a little odd?

A clever idea and I like the composition and muted colours/lighting. I find the blur rather disturbing, though, and would prefer it without.

The light streak by the film canister - I don't mean the area round the bottom of the roll, which is fine, but on the background behind the black left-hand edge. I.e., looking at the canister as if it were vertical, on the right there is the bar code and on the left there is the black part. But then for two-thirds its length, from the bottom up, there is (on my monitor) a slightly paler streak as if you have tried to darken the bg and just missed a bit. Maybe there is a reflection or something causing it :shrug:. It is only a minor point, though.

Last edited:
A great idea, and very clever. The Dof and mono suit very nicely, as does the comp.

The trouble with being late in commenting is that it's all been said already :LOL:

Very clever take on the theme and (y) for the composition, but I'm another who would prefer it without the blur.
I think possibly a plainer background like a wooden table top might have worked better.

Whilst this image doesn't scream Rage - I felt the full force of the wife's wrath when I 'forgot' to get the washing in before the heavens opened :D

I've been wanting to do a shot like this for a while so, with a large dose of crowbar:

Been a bit behind with my comments so will rectify this in the coming week (hopefully!!)

I like the colours of the washing. I kept looking at it expecting the washing to be letters .. ok I know I'm odd !

I will accept your crowbar. Not only did you forget to get the washing in, but you took the time to capture it for posterity too :LOL:

Very nice image. The colours of the washing make for an interesting background. My only gripe is I'd like more separation of the washing from the left hand side as you've got on the right. Next time it rains try again ;)

Ha ha! With the story attached you don't need the crowbar. I'm another one trying to read it. :wacky:

You needed the explanation to back it up but with that it's spot on :LOL:

I know that if I had done that then I would be experiencing rage from SWMBO :eek::eek:

I'm another one that was looking to see letters in the shape of the clothes.

Andy

Very clever Paul, I regularly end up on the wrong of that particular situation too, so I can fully appreciate the sentiment.

What on earth does it say ? It starts with an A I reckon... ;)

Nice crowbar - a really pleasing semi-abstract image!

Phil

Dirty - thats cool Dirty Money, reminds me a song/rap earlier this year Money Talks

Rage - yes i can feel the blood boiling, most days seem to be like that stuck in house. althoug we seem to be blessed with some sun this morning. good work

Back