Holryn's Photo 52 - Part 2 - Weeks 48, 49 & 50 added.

Way behind again. Will try and catch up with everyone soon I promise.

Well despite a not very inspiring theme I've had quite a good week. I managed to score my first commission (well sort of). So this is a little (big) bit of a crowbar again but in my defence I will 'console' myself with the fact that I got at least something done. :)

Oh and the subject is fake zebra fur, so a definite CON there and it is attached to a SOLE. Shall I give up now? :p

Thanks go to my friend Emma for the (sort of) commission and the loan of the shoes.

This is part of a set which is available on my Flickr.

Thanks for all the comments on Dirty and Rage guys. Much appreciated.

It took me a while to figure out what it was and then what it had to do with the theme, when i read the text it all became clear :LOL: Great crow bar and a rally interesting image. Well done on the commission too what is it?

:D Thanks Chris. Had a few people I've shown this to wonder what it was at first.

As for the commission - well that's probably 'bigging' it up a little. A colleague of mine saw some of my photos from my 52 as when I post them over to Flickr they get cross posted to my Facebook profile. She just wanted some photos taken of her rather expensive (in my eyes anyway) shoes. So I said I'd see what I could come up with. She is very pleased with the results and wants to turn a couple into canvas prints. :D

Rather than get too behind I taken to raiding the archives. I don;t think I've post this anywhere before.

This is entitled 'Distant Horizons'

It was taken out of the window of a plane on the way to Greece.

Last edited:
:D Thanks Chris. Had a few people I've shown this to wonder what it was at first.

As for the commission - well that's probably 'bigging' it up a little. A colleague of mine saw some of my photos from my 52 as when I post them over to Flickr they get cross posted to my Facebook profile. She just wanted some photos taken of her rather expensive (in my eyes anyway) shoes. So I said I'd see what I could come up with. She is very pleased with the results and wants to turn a couple into canvas prints. :D

haha, i have a friend who gets led astray by expensive shoes, each to their own though. They must be pretty smart to want to stick them up on a wall though.

Im liking your distant shot, pretty good for an out of the plane shot. For some reason i always seem to get a seat over the wing.

Console is a classy shot Paul but the image here doesn't do it any justice. Much much better bigger on black on your flickr (y)

I love the blue tones in your distant shot.

ConSole... very clever... although I started out looking for the eye :D...

Distant.. now that's lovely Paul

Distant is winner - almost a fantasy shot!

Phil

Console: clever crowbar and makes an intriguing image - I keep screwing my head around to different angles to look at it.

Distant: love the patterns and gorgeous colours. They must have cleaned the windows for you as it is beautifully clear.

(y)

haha, i have a friend who gets led astray by expensive shoes, each to their own though. They must be pretty smart to want to stick them up on a wall though.

Im liking your distant shot, pretty good for an out of the plane shot. For some reason i always seem to get a seat over the wing.

Thanks Chris. I believe they were quite expensive however not as expensive as the large acrylic posters she want to put them on the wall as.

Console is a classy shot Paul but the image here doesn't do it any justice. Much much better bigger on black on your flickr (y)

I love the blue tones in your distant shot.

Thanks Darren. I agree. They do look much better bigger.

Hi Paul, I love your console shot even though it is a huge (but clever) crowbar!

Yes, your distant shot is indeed very distant. I love the abstractness of it and the colours are lovely (y)

Jenny

Thanks Jenny.

ConSole... very clever... although I started out looking for the eye :D...

Distant.. now that's lovely Paul

Cheers John.

Distant is winner - almost a fantasy shot!

Phil

Thank you Phil.

Console: clever crowbar and makes an intriguing image - I keep screwing my head around to different angles to look at it.

Distant: love the patterns and gorgeous colours. They must have cleaned the windows for you as it is beautifully clear.

(y)

Thanks Tracer. I think I got lucky with the window, they're normally pretty dirty.

Now I had the idea for this pretty much straight away, but in practice I couldn't get it quite how I wanted it. So I'm not really happy with either of these.

My Box of Secrets:

This one is processed slight differently:

Cracking idea and well shot.

Number 1 is my favourite of the two but I do find the pattern of the black material a little distracting. That said, I know how difficult it is to get these things pure black and light the subject.

Andy

First for me too despite the pattern in the cloth. I can just imagine some fingers reaching out from inside :)

I prefer the second one of these Paul. The starburst and lighting gives it lore of a mystical feel for me. I too had a similar idea but perhaps should have chosen a different box. Can I borrow yours for a reshoot?:D Iain

Another one voting for number 1, nicely done

Number 1 for me too - lovely composition and lighting. For me the flare in number 2 weakens the shot both as an image of a lovely box and as an interpretation of the theme.

Great idea & I like the execution. Definitely the first version!

Phil

Thanks for all the comments. I was a bit unsure of this one. Tried to get a decent 'glow' from inside the box but it wasn't really happening.

definitely number one for me, i love the idea and what a great box. Is it a writing desk when open, my Gran had one of these and there was a panel inside revealing a secret set of draws.

Chris, this is just a box, it doesn't open out and sadly no secret compartments. :(

I wanted to combine this week theme with Halloween so (hopefully) below is my ever so slightly spooky deserted Urban street:

Lovely shot. For some reason I think of Urban as more grimy / graffitti style than such a nice looking street, but I really like this picture.

Phil.

Lovely shot. For some reason I think of Urban as more grimy / graffitti style than such a nice looking street, but I really like this picture.

Phil.

Blimey that was a quick response Phil. Thanks for the comments. It's a small back street just behind Fleet Street in London so pretty urban, but I agree the word sums up a more grimy image.

Phil.

:agree: Some of the foreground is too dark for me but I'm pretty sure that is the fault of my ageing monitor. The darkish streak across the sky looks slightly odd to me - is it a cloud or a ghoul? :D

I've been away for a while Paul, but I'm not exaggerating when I say that you've posted some absolutely stunning shots while I've been away. Honestly, these are just my sort of thing.

Console : Simple, elegant and well lit. This works very, very well . . . although I think the biggest con here was you crowbarring it into the theme ;)

Distant : Simply stunning :love:
I could just see this printed large and hanging on a wall. Nothing more for me to say on this, I just love it.

Secret : I'm torn between these two. The lighting works a little better on the box on the first, but there's too much spill over onto the black, which lets it down a bit.
Both are absolutely ingenious takes on the theme though and very well executed.

Urban : From where I'm sat the brightness looks spot on. Love the slightly spooky atmosphere and the overall composition and feel are perfect for me. Another one that I absolutely love :clap:

It seems a little dark on my uncallibrated laptop monitor... Having said that, I do like it, it's got a nice feeling to it...

Thanks for the comments guys.

Here is a slightly lighter version.

I've been away for a while Paul, but I'm not exaggerating when I say that you've posted some absolutely stunning shots while I've been away. Honestly, these are just my sort of thing.

Console : Simple, elegant and well lit. This works very, very well . . . although I think the biggest con here was you crowbarring it into the theme ;)

Distant : Simply stunning :love:
I could just see this printed large and hanging on a wall. Nothing more for me to say on this, I just love it.

Secret : I'm torn between these two. The lighting works a little better on the box on the first, but there's too much spill over onto the black, which lets it down a bit.
Both are absolutely ingenious takes on the theme though and very well executed.

Urban : From where I'm sat the brightness looks spot on. Love the slightly spooky atmosphere and the overall composition and feel are perfect for me. Another one that I absolutely love :clap:

Thanks for the catch up and generous comments Sarah - hope you're getting back into it now.

A couple of shots from me for this weeks theme, the first is rather obviously a Train:

The second shot is of a dog we are, well dog sitting! Trying to 'train' the pooch to fetch. He was having none of it :shake:

This was shot on a friends 70-200mm L lens. There are a couple more of the dog on my Flickr.

Hi Paul, I'm in catch-up mode. I love your second urban shot. I think it is much better lighter. Fits the theme really well, even if it is not grimy (which is the first thing that springs to mind).

Train - I like the first shot, especially the composition and the colours. Although obviously a train, it is a fairly subtle rendition of a train. I like the angle. (y)

Second shot - what a cute little dog. He has that look on his face which says there is no way he is going to listen to you. I would have preferred a little bit more grass above and less below. Love the catchlights in his eyes.

Jenny

What a cute dog. He does look full of mischief and a bit of a handfull to train.

I like the curve in the first image with the platform matching the curve of the train.

Back