weekly hoochys 52 er

I like Jaffa cakes but I'd be really p***ed if someone filled my best lens with coffee ;).

Have you been sneaking around the staffroom Rab? :D

A nice take on the theme, it fits well (y)

Jaffas....secret points from the staff methinks :LOL:
It does look like a nice way to relax though!

on theme, love jaffa cakes, nicely lit but as you have already said, better background needed especially as you use it alot in your images :)

Nice shot and totally on theme, All I can say is to echo the other comments with regards to the background. If this type of thing is something you enjoy, its amazing what you can do with a few pieces of foam core from Hobbycraft and for the bases I sometime use Acrylic to give reflections.

cheers guys&girls yea i do like my jaffa cakes lol yip i will need to sort out some form of background , ps cobra i could be the fly on the staffroom wall so for god sakes dont swat it lol

Hi Rab,

Nice one - you can't bet a jaffa cake. I've found that a dark coloured fleece (mine's navy) works well as a background :)

Bold - nice bright cups love the colours and the edit works much better.

Relax - lovely take for the theme, and I love Jaffa cakes indeed a nice way to relax. With a good cuppa and some biscuits and a spot of tv, good work.

Hi Ya

Bold.....good basis for a shot just needs a little tweak with the composition & crop as others have mentioned as they are lovely bold colors & contrast nicely with the black bg :) .....maybe both mugs close together & frame so you only see half of one ?

Relax.....again , a good idea just needs a few tweaks :)

For backgrounds I rely a lot on large sheets of card ( normally black & white) from HobbyCraft or The Range so they don't break the bank , for bases I've found some sample tiles from B&Q work well & cost a couple of quid , also looking to buy a sheet of perspex in black & possibly white for shots where a reflection is needed - cheap as chips from fleabay (y)

The Whitevale and Bluevale flats by hoochy1, on Flickr

week 9 vertical rite this was a hurry job lol taken from my car window as I haven't had a lot of time this week with hospital appointments ,and my laptop giving up the ghost lol

Last edited:
Go on then i will state the obvious It needs a slight straighten for me but never the less for a quickly grabbed shot its a good shot (y)

Good fit for the theme but agree with Simon.....needs a straighten so that at least something is vertical :LOL:
Good grab though.

the dogs are featuring heavily for mouth but its another fine picture for the theme for me. (y)

As Simon says, there are a few dogs about this week, but another lovely detailed image (y)

I knew there'd be a few pooches for this one :)
This one's bang on, and made me chuckle.

cheers guys and girls I had the 50-500 siggy out my bag to give it a clean as I don't use it that often
and thought I would fire it on an take some shots with it

ok crowd this was taken on sunday at a race for stroke
IMG_2883 by hoochy1, on Flickr

Last edited:
I like that for a crowd shot, nice colours, but yes it is wonky, and I'd also crop out the OOF guy in the jacket to the left :)

Mouth ... blimey that's a mouth ... good shot.

Crowd ... another good one ... but still not straight.

Crowd ... another good one ... but still not straight.

David's right.

Better version cropping the guy out on the left, but the colour balance has changed according to my brain. I'm seeing a much warmer image in your initial post which I prefer. Straight is good. I do like shots like this. I love people and like to see all the different expressions. For me you could crop very letterbox like (try a 16x9 ratio) to focus on the faces more than the concrete road foreground and streetlampy background. Actually, looking at your two images, you've done that in shot #1 but not in #2.

Hi Rab,

Sorry, I don't seem to have done much commenting on your thread, so this is a bit of a catch up.

Vertical - yes, fits the theme and a good shot for being taken in a hurry. I agree with Simon - it does need a bit of straightening.

Mouth - fits the theme, nice and sharp :)

Crowd - great fit for the theme, the edit has really improved it :)

ok close up this was taken across george square at a rally against racism etc i picked this woman out of the crowd as she looked deep in her own thoughts and the way the light was hitting her hair
IMG_3954 by hoochy1, on Flickr

Last edited:
cheers for the reply lynne i get that as you would have to have been there here is a photo to show some of the crowd

IMG_4121 by hoochy1, on Flickr

Last edited:
Close up, like Lynne, I'm not convinced either, but its a nice study of someone deep in thought.

Crowd, much more "on theme" IMO
Although I may have been tempted to crop in down the side of the person with the mega-phone as the LHS seems a bit bland where as the RHS 1/3 is nice and colourful and more in your face.
If you see what I mean?

ok i need to catch up lol machine man and his machine this was taken at the easter egg run for yorkhill

IMG_4908 by hoochy1, on Flickr

Well, your machine shot certainly makes me chuckle.
Until now, I was unaware that Bananaman rode a motorcycle! :LOL:

LOL at banana man, but thats certainly a nice machine (y)

Back