weekly hoochys 52 er

Name
rab
Edit My Images
No
ok first time ever having a go at this lol week 0

IMG_0014 by hoochy1, on Flickr

Hello and welcome to the 52, as far as the brief goes it hits the nail on the head with the two tartan patterns, compositionally I don't think it works for me, I think the tartan cloth on its own would've been better, I also find the White area a touch distracting, non the less you are off the mark and one week closer to the finish, I look forward to seeing more from you.

Hi Rab - well done on signing up to this, I think it's a great challenge. Perfectly on theme image to start with and there have been many times when full fat Irn-Bru has come too the rescue the morning after... about as close to bliss as you can get in such circumstances (perhaps along with a square sausage roll and brown sauce).

I'm a bit confused by the white paper (?) bottom right but don't mind the composition apart from that. Could maybe do with a bit more lighting - perhaps a stop more exposure?

Good luck for the next submission...

cheers guys and girls the irn bru bottle was put in as it is my clan tartan the new modern one the white is a bit of the bed cover lol i didnt see it at the time ops

Last edited:
week 1 bliss nothing better after a long day than sitting with a steaming bowl of homemade soup on a freezing cold day

IMG_0000 by hoochy1, on Flickr

Hi and welcome aboard.

My in-laws are Scottish so this works for me I might be tempted to get in quite a bit closer, though.

Bliss, that looks rather nice but it doesn't look too healthy :)

Cheers.

cheers guys and cheers mandy oh no now to think about week 2

Hi Rab & a belated welcome from me to the madhouse of the 52 challenge:wave:

Patterns.....got the bones of a good shoot , certainly on theme...maybe a closer shot would be better ?

Bliss....oh yes , can't beat home made soup or stews on a cold winters day :) I like the handle coming from bottom rh corner, focus looks good on the soup & I like the inclusion of the lit gas ring :) The devil is in the detail though....... a quick clean of the hob & a wipe round the top of the pan would have helped (y)

lol yep lynne i should have done both tbh it was a spur of the moment shot thanks every one for the comments and the welcome

ok my photo for week 2 lol its a fail first time giving it a go to much noise because of the hi iso

IMG_0522 by hoochy1, on Flickr

Hi Rab, I agree with Andy that a slight crop to move it off centre would work well. But you've captured the movement exceptionally well and it looks like you only had the one take to get it right so well done!

Background is a touch distracting: something non-glossy would help. As would a touch of light on the egg cup itself, but I can understand why you didn't given the challenges posed by the glossy background. Photos are coming along well... looking forward to your submission for Scenic!

I can't find anything to look at in this scenic picture apart from the wood at the front, and that isn't that interesting, sorry.

It's lovely blue water and the trees at the back look like they'd make a good image, if you could get over there it'd be well worth another visit.

cheers guys , each to there own martin i could sit there all day just looking out over the nice blue water ,ok cobra i took the rail out here is one without the rail

IMG_0534111111111111111111 by hoochy1, on Flickr

Hiya, like the crop more than the original but I feel you could have lost a little more from the bottom of the pic. I find that, more often than not, the rule of thirds works well in landcape pics so the horizon is not so central. And to be v picky, you could lose the fragment of cloud on the LHS. IMHO this would be a much better pic. Definitely on theme though (y)

Hi Rab, I cant offer anything that hasn't all been said. I prefer the version without the fence, and it might be worth cropping a bit more a Jill says :)

,ok cobra i took the rail out here is one without the rail
To be perfectly honest, I'm still not sure :D
But thanks for trying it :)

First thought was without the wooden fence would be better so liking the edit (y) but i can see manc mans point of something is missing.

Hiya Rab, you've definitely captured a scenic spot.

I reckon what people are picking up on with the photo is the difference between looking at a photo on screen (or even printed) and seeing the actual scene in front of you. Even up close on a big monitor, there's simply no substitute for having that full field of view that you get from actually being there. For me, this makes locations like the one you've chosen really jump out and make us go "wow!" I'm also a big fan of water (fortunate, living on the coast) so I get what you mean. It can be hard to convey that sense of openness with a photo though.

Photos are trickier, because we tend to look at them a bit like looking through a window: we only see what's in frame and it's difficult to take in the whole expanse of everything outside that frame. In a funny kind of way, we need to find ways to keep people wanting to look inside the photo, rather than start wondering too much what's outside (although sometimes that can be powerful too, but for different reasons). It's for this reason that there are quite a lot of rules of composition for landscape/scenic shots which help make a nice picture into an interesting photo.

If you're interested, have a bit of a google on "landscape composition". It probably explains what I'm trying to say better than my ramblings above!

cheers guys&girls yea i get the rule of thirds and having some sort of focal point to lead the viewers eyes i was going to head to some were coastal but thought better of it as the roads were bad and did not want to take the risk as i just got my car back last month after it was in the body repair shop for a month so it was cop out for me lol any ways cheers for the c&c guys and girls and i look forward to the next one

I definitely prefer it without the fence, but agree that the edited version is slightly lacking in a focal point. However, I think that all the different shades and textures of blue go some way to making up for that.

Hi! Good efforts so far, though the first one for me does not work. We all have different takes on the theme and as long as you are happy with it in the end then all good! Its for you :) Though some good points have been made and that side of it is all about learning and improving.

Look forward to your next shot :) Good luck!

ok week 4 i have not been out much this week but here is one from sunday a car club meet a photo of 3 lol well 4 if you count the guy at the back of the lads in the club i had a struggle with this weeks companions

IMG_0673 by hoochy1, on Flickr

Last edited:
Companions, I agree fits the theme well.
Nice old car in the background too, it looks a bit like a VX 4/90 Ventora?

(Btw linky fixed)

Hi companions what motley group LOL.

I rather like this submission had like a shallow depth of field and maybe having the guys at a different angle to the car, having them all near the front corner.

That said it's a nice submission.

Cheers.

Hi there and welcome, my first visit to your thread ...there are a lot to get around!

Well done with posting something fresh each week. Bliss, I love the idea of the hearty soup and the gas ring adds a great glow
Fragile... I agree the egg shot needs a good crop, maybe a bright red egg cup would have added a splash of colour.
Scenic.. I like the original, the sunlight catching the handrail adds an interesting glow.

Companions ...its a really difficult theme, and I like the choice of you and your mates, but again I'd go for a closer crop.

Keep up the good work :)

I like your companions, a nice natural shot, agree about the photo-bomber though lol

Back