weekly hoochys 52 er

Agree its a good pic for the theme a few little composition alterations would have been a very good shot

Companions - great fit to the theme, but it is a bit of a shame about the man standing behind

Companions, I agree fits the theme well.
Nice old car in the background too, it looks a bit like a VX 4/90 Ventora?

its a Vauxhall viscount, it is a sweet looking car

cheers for the comments guys&girls yea the guy at the back lol i may have a go at cloning him out

ok week five elegant this is my first time having a play with a soft box

IMG_0935 by hoochy1, on Flickr

Last edited:
I'm not normally a fan of colour popping,
and yet that seems to work very well indeed (y)

The only minor niggle, I think it would work even better without the draw handles.
ie a tight crop below the surface.

Last edited:
As above tighter crop maybe losing the drawers. But a super striking image.

Crop is better for me, smidgen close at the bottom but better that the draws in the first. I'd prefer just the shoes, mainly because I think the tape on the box detracts from the wonderful shoes :)

Cheers.

Outrageously Elegant ... the shocking pink is unreal.

Instead of cropping, I'd have hidden the handles in PP.

Agree with the crop comments, and liking the quick crop you posted :)

I think I prefer the crop.

Subject is good and it's along the lines of what I was after this week except I couldn't get hold of my wife's legs. Wait... That came out wrong...

Aaanyway, shoes without feet in them are tough to present without them looking like a product shot and you've done really well using the box to represent them. I like the way you've chosen a background that compliments the image. Good stuff!

Hi Rab

Elegant.....for me , that's your best shot so far.....crop works much better , I'm partial to SC anyway but it really works in this image....I love your choice of BG images :clap:

The only minor niggle is the shoe box (& I think it's the tape on it that causes the problem)....it might have worked with just the shoes ..... BUT , it's still a great shot :clap:

cheers guys&girls ok next one i havent been out much this week as im loaded with the cold and on a bit of a downer as i droped my lens on sunday before i even started taking photos of a football match so had to use my 24-105L dont know if its on theme but if you look you can see the sweat flying off his head

ugfc player by hoochy1, on Flickr

I see the sweat rab....and sweat is watery!
Oddly, with those two players off the ground, it has the effect of making the shoot look almost 3D, especially if I focus on a point right between the two of them.
It also reminds me of one of the old "Spot the Ball" competitions that used to accompany the Pools :)

A bit of a shoe horn there theme wise I think :D
Great image though I love the expression of the "red shirt" in the foreground too :)

Definitely a bit of crowbar usage there to squeeze the shot into the theme . . . and I almost wish you hadn't drawn my attention to the sweat :LOL:

I know next to nothing about sports photography, but I think you've done a great job of freezing the motion.
Like Ruth said, almost a 3D feel to it.
I wonder if a bit of a crop from the LHS and top would work to remove that patch of bright white sky.
I'm finding it's grabbing my attention a bit too much, but not sure whether cropping would leave the ball too close to the edge of the frame.

Hey Rab.... It's a great shot either way, expressions the face add to it[emoji23]. I think losing some of the LHS would help highlight the sweat themewise [emoji5]️

Hi Rab... well I have to say, for your first attempt with a softbox your Elegant shot is great! You've got a great reflection from the handbag and no harsh shadows, as you'd expect from that sort of modifier. How big is it and how far away from the scene was it? The only reason for asking and a tiny thought for your next shot: softboxes are great a throwing a lot of very even light onto subjects, but sometimes for matte materials (like the shoes, by the look of it) this soft even light can leave them looking less shapely and a bit formless... almost flat. This can sometimes be managed by throwing a little directional light (e.g. bare flash with snoot) onto that single object to try to bring out some of the surface texture (works with suede and more textured leather).

Still a cracking shot and well done you :clap: (and the crop is better still!)

Watery - another belter. Great expressions and superb capture of that sweat!

cheers guys&girls i will give that a go next time i use the box paul its a 60cm , yea andy i left the 50-500 at home thinking my 70-200 would cover it in a way im glad it wasnt the 50-500 that went bounce

ok i could not think of any thing so its a fast one lol

bold

IMG_2495 by hoochy1, on Flickr

I like the bold colours and the light is pretty good but I would maybe invest in some black paper to put your subjects on, the cloth you've used has obscured the base and made them wonky. Soft cloth is good with some subjects like babies :p :D

Hiya,

I love the colours of those mugs, a great fit for the theme. I'd have gone for a closer crop though, as they look a little lost in all that background :)

The mugs certainly stand out from the black back ground,
I'd also suggest a tighter crop, so they are more in your face,
making a bold statement :)

Last edited:
ok here is my take on relax i know the back ground isnt that good i willneed to get some card or a better back ground

IMG_2663 by hoochy1, on Flickr

Back