How many use auto on their cameras

gingerjon said:
:clap::clap::clap:

The first thing I do when I switch my camera off is put the dial to AUTO so that if I pick it up in a hurry and try & get a photo quickly the settings will at least be appropriate for the conditions in the camera's eyes rather than whatever I was working on when I put the camera down.

Now there's the best idea I've heard yet

:clap::clap::clap:

The first thing I do when I switch my camera off is put the dial to AUTO so that if I pick it up in a hurry and try & get a photo quickly the settings will at least be appropriate for the conditions in the camera's eyes rather than whatever I was working on when I put the camera down.

Never seen this mentioned in any togging book I've ever read. What a simply brilliant idea.

I was going to reply and say I would never use Auto, but now, in the heat of the moment I think I might.

I tend to go along with this view - also there seems to be an element of irony in that a lot of people will proudly say the "never use auto" yet will happily let the camera focus the image for them.

yeah totally different yet you use mf as you say but with f11 so you have alot of margain for error in your focusing, try using a wide apature and mf then see how you get on.

Last edited:
yeah totally different yet you use mf as you say but with f11 so you have alot of margain for error in your focusing, try using a wide apature and mf then see how you get on.

Most of Saturday night I was shooting at f2.8 on Manual Focus. Luckily my lens has a fairly clear distance scale so not a big problem.

if you dont mind me asking what was the reason you brought a d700 and not d40x/d3000.

Advantages that I like with the D700 over consumer cams -

1) FX rather than DX so lenses shoot at their native field of view.
2) Decent high ISO shooting (ISO 6400 gets used a fair bit)
3) Decent metal body (not plasticky)
4) Decent viewfinder (large & bright)
5) Decent weatherproofing
6) Better Screen

These are probably the main reasons I like this camera - in fact apart from a Leica M9 I'd probably be pushed to think of a camera I'd rather have.

The way I progressed from auto to manual is (& I'm sure many other people have done the same) used auto to get a shot & read what the shutter speed, aperture & iso was. If I had enough time I'd use the same settings in manual & experiment with changing f/stop, shutter speed, etc

I used auto for a day or two when I first purchased my DSLR, now it all depends what I'm shooting and conditions (lighting etc) AV,TV or M.

Never seen this mentioned in any togging book I've ever read. What a simply brilliant idea.

I was going to reply and say I would never use Auto, but now, in the heat of the moment I think I might.

It's a variation on the default mode many people used back in the days of film SLRs. Assuming 100 ASA (ISO) film, I usually left mine on 1/125 at f8.0. Not as good as Auto is now, but it usually worked well for a fast shot. I normally park my DSLR in P. Much the same as A, but you can change the shutter speed/aperture combination at the touch of a wheel.

I don't generally use auto, prefer aperture or shutter priority. But when I gives camera to anyone else to take a snap I tend to put it to auto so they don't have to worry.

When I have more time for a shot I will go manual. Each setting has got it advantages.

I do like having the two control wheels and a top LCD to check and control the settings.

If I'm out on a night out and i've got my tz10 with me, i'll sometimes flick it to auto because I need to take a picture quick. If i've got a bit more time, it's on P or A. I don't think my 550d has ever been on auto though.

You know!, I had to go and get the camera out of the bag to see what settings I could use ,:LOL: on the Nikon D300 there is just apt A,manual M,shutter S, and program P, I use aperture 99.9% of the time but shoot 99.9% in daylight.
I'm going to have to go back to manual for a while............:LOL:

Grew up with the OM1n and it's little magic needle,which is a manual operation when all's said and done....:D

Just shown me how lazy I have gotten............

Last edited:
More than a decade ago before I could afford a mobile phone I could memorise 50-100 phone numbers. Now struggling to even memorise my other half's number.
Are we getting dumber relying on the technology?
Remember the days when I was given the first DSLR and my dad make me practice guessing distances and exposure settings. And the joy you had when the needle agreed with the settings you guess!

More than a decade ago before I could afford a mobile phone I could memorise 50-100 phone numbers. Now struggling to even memorise my other half's number.

We remember the things we need to remember. If there is technology that will do that for you then we will abdicate that responsibility quite easily. :shrug: Plus we have more numbers and passwords to remember.

Of course age becomes a factor too. :( :LOL: I can't even remember my own mobile number. :eek: But then I don't phone myself that often. :LOL:

It's the same with some of the camera settings we choose to use. We use Auto Focus because it is normally better at focusing in most situations, especially if you tell it what to focus on. ;)

Auto Mode doesn't know what it's looking at or what effect you're after. :shrug:

If it works for you though, carry on. ;)

Boliston you are cracking me up... you spend all that on a good camera and use auto modes and manual focus..... yet you treat like a compact.

you harp on about M9 (nice bit of kit)

Why don't you go buy top range Panasonic with a zoom and that has a Leica lens, Like my Misses has.

Unbelievable. Think, learn and experiment..... Auto and 'P' do not let you do either and you will never learn about what the camera can do..........

I think that as long as the photo being taken has a good subject and is composed well then it doesn't matter too much if you use auto or manual because if it's a bad shot in the first place then what would it matter what mode was used. However, for creative shots and certain types of shots manual is the only real way to go. Shoot auto in raw then tweak in photoshop. :-D

I've used the green box mode and 'P' for professional mode in the past. As time moved on and I upgraded I settled on the M9 due to the fact it is easy and simple for using manually. If you like that Boliston don't be put off by a nice M8 and some Leica glass, it is still a very capable camera.

Ive had my camera a few months now, its never been in auto (d90) i think thats lazy. The reason i bought a dlsr is because i wanted to take better and more creative photos. I use manual for landscapes and usually aperture mode for everything else.

Andyvalver said:
I think that as long as the photo being taken has a good subject and is composed well then it doesn't matter too much if you use auto or manual because if it's a bad shot in the first place then what would it matter what mode was used. However, for creative shots and certain types of shots manual is the only real way to go. Shoot auto in raw then tweak in photoshop. :-D

True, getting the composition and subject right are probably more important than the mode you use. But then your photo will take much less time to tweak if you shoot in a manual or semi auto mode right?

Personally I'd like to see auto, program and scene modes removed from all DSLR's:D

For one thing, people would be forced to LEARN and another thing it would speed up the removal of useless photographers masquerading as professionals and ripping people off;)

It's not like it's difficult to understand the simple concepts involved- certainly it's hardly comparable to neurosurgery or quantum mechanics in terms of complexity.
If I can understand them anyone can.

I've even tried P before as a test to back up my (some might say) controversial opinion- it knows he-haw:D. Happy enough to trust the camera with AF but I'll decide what shutter and aperture we need;)

Personally I'd like to see auto, program and scene modes removed from all DSLR's:D

For one thing, people would be forced to LEARN and another thing it would speed up the removal of useless photographers masquerading as professionals and ripping people off;)

What's the weather like up there on your soapbox?

:wacky:

Last edited:
What's the weather like up there on your soapbox?

:wacky:

I'm not preaching that everyone who uses these modes needs to desist nor have I called anyone rubbish for doing so.
I've merely hypothesised that from a bigger picture it may help photography in the long run.
You could counter that and come from a different angle and argue that these modes are useful to help people take up the art who would otherwise be too daunted or you could resort to insults:LOL:

Either way, I don't think expressing a view that people should have a desire to gain knowledge for their own benefit should be frowned upon.

Not everyone is interested in the technicalities though. You wouldn't make a painter learn how paint was made before they could be allowed to daub a canvas so why force someone taking photographs into doing the same?

Happy accidents can be quite creative and are often more interesting photographs than those taken by the technically obsessed that miss a great moment because they're fiddling about with dials, fussing with DOF and worrying about ISO noise.

If the moment is captured it doesn't matter what mode the camera was in. I actually think the technical obsessives could be jealous when someone gets a great image in auto mode as they feel they didn't 'earn' it.

A camera with a telepathy option that knows what you were trying to achieve would be fantastic I reckon :)

Only had my 50D for a couple of weeks and even now i hate the 'Auto' mode. I like AV.

There is an awful lot of snobbery in this thread! :)

I tend not to use Auto all that much but do use it as it has its place. Typically for me it's where I want to take a quick shot and have forgotten what settings I have on the camera (or know they will be wrong). Quickly move to Auto mode and take the picture. Simple - and likely to be better than taking with the wrong setting.

At times I will also use a Scene mode - Sports. I use this because I know how this works on my camera and know what results I will achieve. The camera is simply a means to an end and what I want to concentrate on is obtaining the shot - not all that easy with some sports.

I do have a friend who permanently leaves his camera on Auto as it works for him. His primary interest is wildlife not photography but does want pictures. He says he has tried other modes and just ends up with rubbish pictures, so I guess it works for him.

At the other end of the scale I know a pro tog who uses Auto at times. He doesn't have a hang up about it at all. It enables him to get the pictures he wants and sells/publishes.

That said I do find it a bit sad that people leave their camera on Auto permanently. I work in Central London and see many tourists who do that - a good quality bridge camera would probably be better for them.

srichards said:
Not everyone is interested in the technicalities though. You wouldn't make a painter learn how paint was made before they could be allowed to daub a canvas so why force someone taking photographs into doing the same?

Happy accidents can be quite creative and are often more interesting photographs than those taken by the technically obsessed that miss a great moment because they're fiddling about with dials, fussing with DOF and worrying about ISO noise.

If the moment is captured it doesn't matter what mode the camera was in. I actually think the technical obsessives could be jealous when someone gets a great image in auto mode as they feel they didn't 'earn' it.

A camera with a telepathy option that knows what you were trying to achieve would be fantastic I reckon :)

I don't agree here, we are not talking about learning how the camera works, it's about using it the way you want and have control over what it does.
When you want to paint a canvas you plan ahead and decide what you want then start the work same is with the camera you need to plan set your settings to best suit your creative need and then shoot!
I always shoot an manual and I find it much more useful as I have control over everything so I can produce what I have in mind. Some say you don't want to miss a shot, well I shoot street too and never miss a shot because I couldn't set the camera, it all comes with practice.
Photography is an art and a real artist always want control over everything to bring out their creativity. Sure if you want some snaps then not a problem auto will do the job.

I actually find the other modes on my 40D a bit distracting. If I accidentally move the mode selection when I'm wearing gloves out in the sticks I immediately wonder what the hells going on when I can't change the shutter speed and aperture. For all Manual has its hinderances, its mostly what the camera captures in RAW, and I've learnt to shoot for one thing and correct the other later.

Last edited:
Auto and scene modes work fine for a lot of people, a lot of the time. I suppose you are using the DSLR as a big point and shoot, but you get the benefit of a larger sensor and, usually, a better lens. P, Av and Tv give you more control, but they're really just other implementations of AE, and there's nothing wrong with that. Manual gives the greatest amount of control, and it's easy enough, everybody had to use it back in the "old" days when I started photography. I still use it sometimes, and I think it's worth learning, but it's your camera. "Hating" one of the modes is bizarre, it's your camera, so just use whatever you want to.

Professional bodies don't have green box Auto or scene modes. So what? That just means that the manufacturers don't believe that there's any demand for them in that market. I agree, there probably isn't, but that doesn't make them worthless for everyone else.

There are a lot of good points in this thread, but it's very easy to fall into the trap of assuming that your own preferences are also the best for everyone else. The raw vs JPEG debate is a classic example.

Last edited:

I'm not saying it matters what mode a picture was taken in- clearly it doesn't but I think it's useful to know how the amount of light hitting the sensor can be controlled and what the outcomes are depending on which method of control you've used. It doesn't necessarily have to get much more technical than that- I'm not saying learn all the algorithms but surely it's better than not having any idea why something happens.
In painting, if you want to improve you do have to learn what brush strokes to use or the types of brush that most suit you etc.

I'm impressed with all the people who can get auto to do what they want and have concluded that either my camera is rubbish, I'm incompetent or I'm far too creative. Sadly I do not think it's the latter:LOL:

The essence of my original post was really about making it harder for conmen to operate without really impacting on those who love photography although I accept it may not make it harder for them but it's fun to speculate.

Talking of fun- telepathic camera- now that would be cool- 'this is what I'm envisaging camera- make it so':LOL:

I like to use manual mode a lot but the likes of weddings I generally use av and adjust exposure comp on the fly but just for the hell of it I'm going to try the program mode on my D700 as I've never used it lol

My first photography teacher was a press tog by day, and a good one at that. He'd won a british press photographer award a few years back amongst other things, so practiced what he preached. His advice to us was keep it in program mode and concentrate on the composition. Sure, program mode isn't the be all and end all and won't work in every situation, but use of it didn't hold him back and has never held me back. Like i said before, modes are just tools in a tool box, and it's about using the right one for the right job. When i was teaching photography at college, some people really struggled to get their head round aperture, iso and shutter speed, and i mean really couldn't get their head round it. A lot of arty, creative types do struggle, but that doesn't make them any less a photographer as they took some outstanding images using auto, program and scene modes.
If manual mode and such like works for you, then good for you, but don't deride those who don't, they're no less a photographer than you. Judge them by their output, not their method.

I like to use manual mode a lot but the likes of weddings I generally use av and adjust exposure comp on the fly but just for the hell of it I'm going to try the program mode on my D700 as I've never used it lol

Program mode on the D700 is surprisingly good and I find it tends to pick settings that I would have used anyway most of the time.

f/11 seems to be the most commonly allocated aperture in sunny conditions, f/8 for bright overcast, f/5.6 for dull overcast.

It also chooses useful shutter speeds, typically 1/250-1/500 most of the time, again shutter speeds I like to use when selecting shutter speed manually.

What it would NOT be so good for would be things like "action" photography where you would typically shoot a wider aperture but faster shutter, but even then you can tweak the control wheel. As I don't tend to shoot fast action then this is not a worry for me really.

You seem to have a poor undertsanding of auto.. the reason people use semi auto or manual is to give them more chance of getting the shot they want. not less chance..

Personally I use as auto as my camera gets when I am using flash because thats my weak point... But i really should learn more about flash and stop using auto then I can get the pics exactly as i want them :) the rest of the time its semi auto modes or manual depending on the lighting situation...

Remember ALL modes have there uses.. But I certainly wouldnt assign "guaranteed shot" to auto :)

To guarantee a shot with flash, I put it manual lol

None of my cameras never shot a single frame in Auto or Program. With a little understanding, aperture priority is like Auto anyway.

A friend is considering their first dslr purchase and asked if they could shoot a couple of frames with mine to see what it was like with a viewfinder, zoom ring and weight, for convenience I stuck it in auto as I didn't want to start explaining back button focusing and focus point selection.

Was quite surprised how much control it took away, I haven't shot in full auto for years. When they started asking questions I had to put it back in manual so I could use it properly again.

Arrhh. Enough already. :bonk: I'm off to find a good old trust Nikon F or may be a Canon F1:)

Back