How safe would you feel out alone with your camera equipment ?

A friend of mine, who if having to venture into a suspect area for his job (repairing slot & fruit machines), used to have an old wallet in his back pocket which had a fiver in it together with a couple of random business cards and long expired store points cards. If he was ever 'lost' this wallet he would only be a fiver down. Main wallet and cards were kept in an inside zipped trouser pocket. He also used to carry an old Nokia handset for the same reason - expired SIM but it used to turn on.

I'm a bit worried recently that when venturing out into unsafe areas that my Pen F to my Picatinny rail on my AR15 may become dislodged, especially if I fit the bayonette:ROFLMAO:

I'm a bit worried recently that when venturing out into unsafe areas that my Pen F to my Picatinny rail on my AR15 may become dislodged, especially if I fit the bayonette:ROFLMAO:

Surely your PEQ-15 would be in the way?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

GC

I generally don't think twice about heading into a city alone at night with my camera gear and will go on holiday on my own. Most of my photography is during dusk/blue hour or at night. I have a camera bag where the contents can't be accessed when it's on my back, plus a tripod's a good weapon! I always carry it in my hand at night, like you would do a baseball bat when out at night.

Time: Not going out before 8.00 a.m. (I met a few very unpleasant people in Lisbon when I went for an early morning walk. Clubs and discos close at 6.00 a.m. there. I felt uneasy, hailed a cab to take me home.)

The one city I've visited where I didn't feel safe was Lisbon. Never been harassed as much in the street and offered drugs as many times as there. I was with my ex, but there were several streets that I wouldn't go down as they were so creepy. I would want to return and do more photography, but I wouldn't go on my own.

I've lived and worked in some less than salubrious places and never had a problem. I'm obviously one of that lucky 99.7% who never experience such things: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...timatetheirlikelihoodofbeingrobbed/2017-09-07

Hi, you experience experiences, and not statistics ... I think, it is better to be a little bit too cautious, than sorry.

@northcountrygirl: I used to carry a monopod, which made people go out of my way, and mothers picked up their children at times, but realistically, a monopod won't help much against an unfriendly group of people with combat experience.

But it is generally dangerous late at night, even in German towns close to me, such as Wiesbaden and Mainz. (There are over 44 German towns with no-go areas ... --- )

So, it is not only Lisbon. - The main danger in Lisbon is not night-crime, but the e-scooters now. Friends left after two days because of this new threat.

Last edited:
My daughter was pulled to the ground in Bali by a motor cyclist going past who tried to grab her camera from her wrist strap. They didn't get it and she ended up with a few cuts and bruises. It was an old, virtually worthless film camera.
I'm more concerned about leaving camera gear in the car. The cost of replacing a window smashed before the miscreant knew what's in the camera bag is enough of a pain.
We used to have a car stereo that looked desirable, but it used to chew up tapes (obviously a while ago!) We deliberately used to leave the doors unlocked on our car so any thieves could take it if they wanted. The night before I moved house (from Liverpool), they smashed the window to take it :banghead::banghead::banghead:

The night before I moved house (from Liverpool), they smashed the window to take it :banghead::banghead::banghead:
An ex copper mate of mine used to say, its a good job that 75% of criminals are not bright.
If they were, we'd never catch anyone ;)

As I get older I am now starting to think about the above , what with the crime, stabbings and general nasty people
I feel I would be easy picking for the yobs with £----- worth of photo gear on board

Whats your thoughts ?

Signed Mr Coserned :(
Put gaffer tape over the name of the camera. I have done that for years now. I don't want low lifes knowing that I use expensive kit. If they see names like Nikon and Canon they know it's expensive kit.

So tape up.

Put gaffer tape over the name of the camera. I have done that for years now. I don't want low lifes knowing that I use expensive kit. If they see names like Nikon and Canon they know it's expensive kit.

So tape up.
I'd better not tape up then, as my gear is generally cheaper.
Of course they might just assume the tape means it expensive - a prototype perhaps...

I was a little concerned about going into London to take night shots by the river Thames.
When I got there I realised most of the other people that were around were other 'togs doing exactly the same thing as I was.

I'd never given it a thought before until i started trying street photography in the evening in town. Our town is not particularly bad as far as i am aware but i hadnt walked the main streets at night for a while and there were a lot more guys hanging around the street drinking lager/cider out of cans in groups and homeless as well (sadly almost exclusively eastern european) I suddenly felt very aware that around my neck and in my bag i has a couple pf grands worth of kit... its all insured so i am not too worried and im a big guy so i dont tend to get into trouble historically but for the first time i did feel that maybe i was making myself a target and it was a weird experience.

I love being out and alone with my camera. It is people probably wary of me, I dress like a scruff most of the time, when out with the camera.

So tape up.
Does that really work? The average thief is unlikely to know camera brands in anyway to be able to consider whether it’s expensive or not. A bit of tape over the brand name probably won’t make a blind bit of difference to whether it looks expensive enough to nick. The fact it’s a ‘proper camera’ is probably enough to make them think it’s worth nicking, tape or no tape.

Often I find most people go by the size of the camera and lens as to how expensive it is rather than by not the brand name. You can have a cheaper sigma 100-400 on a Nikon D3000 and most would like it’s worth more than a Nikon D850 and a small fast prime because one is some much larger than the other.

Generally I'm OK, but lately I had fairly dodgy encounters with culturally enriched populations of Birmingham (all sorts of them) just walking back to the car. I am quite tall and scary with a big tripod so until this point they didn't dare to go all the way. So when I absolutely have to go there now I insist on on-site parking. For the same reason I am not going anywhere near London for quite a while now. I don't like knives. Rural and foreign mountain locations are just fine for me.

Does that really work? The average thief is unlikely to know camera brands in anyway to be able to consider whether it’s expensive or not. A bit of tape over the brand name probably won’t make a blind bit of difference to whether it looks expensive enough to nick. The fact it’s a ‘proper camera’ is probably enough to make them think it’s worth nicking, tape or no tape.

Often I find most people go by the size of the camera and lens as to how expensive it is rather than by not the brand name. You can have a cheaper sigma 100-400 on a Nikon D3000 and most would like it’s worth more than a Nikon D850 and a small fast prime because one is some much larger than the other.
Which camera is the expensive one Nikon D5 or........................? How do I know if it works or not? No one has nicked my camera so far! LOL.

I do worry about it so rarely go out in the dark with the camera.

Not camera related but going home from work one morning 02:30 on my motorbike, a 125 commuter bike, I was diverted from the DC due to roadworks and had to use quieter streets. Doing 30 ish in a 30 limit 2 lads crossed the road in front of me, one walked back it to the middle of the road and held his arms out to the side. I moved to the right to avoid him and he moved out further. At that point I dropped a gear, give it full throttle and aimed at him. He moved quick & I just missed him as I passed doing 50 plus, I had no intentions of altering my line so it was a case of he got out of my way or get hit.

I do worry about it so rarely go out in the dark with the camera.

Not camera related but going home from work one morning 02:30 on my motorbike, a 125 commuter bike, I was diverted from the DC due to roadworks and had to use quieter streets. Doing 30 ish in a 30 limit 2 lads crossed the road in front of me, one walked back it to the middle of the road and held his arms out to the side. I moved to the right to avoid him and he moved out further. At that point I dropped a gear, give it full throttle and aimed at him. He moved quick & I just missed him as I passed doing 50 plus, I had no intentions of altering my line so it was a case of he got out of my way or get hit.

I probably would have done the same but I expect that if you hit him you would have trouble defending your actions.

As for the original question, I am mindful of the danger but as I do not do street or night photography, I am not too concerned.

I think that's probably true for the first-time thief. But when he takes his first camera to the fence/shop, he will soon learn what earns £££s and what doesn't. And the next time he will take more risk for a high-£££ brand/item. I bet every fence tells thieves/muggers that big white lenses and cameras with red dots are worth proper money.

FWIW, in Hamburg, there's a set of streets on the "not quite so nice" side of the Hauptbahnhof that has lots of little shops full of stolen cameras and phones. IIRC, few were cheapies.

I grew up in a 'rough' area; blighted by poverty and unemployment. Had a couple of unfortunate incidents as a kid, from groups of other kids who were just opportunists on the rob, and deliberately chose 'soft' targets such as other young lads, women or elderly folk. Horrible, but these kids didn't think much of consequences; nobody gave a **** about them, so such concern was reciprocated. As an adult, I'm mindful of not appearing an easy target; where I now live, it's the trendy middle class kids that get robbed, because they are least likely to put up a fight. I suppose I learnt a thing or two in my youth, so tend to not get hassled. And it's all about being aware of your environment and other people around. And always having an effective escape route. But complacency can be a dangerous thing; you can be happily snapping away, and not have thought about potential risks. TBH; I feel that although our society has worsened quite alarmingly in the last decade, actual crime is still lower than when I was young. I think the media hype things up to generate traffic and revenue. The kind of stabbings that shock people now; they were happening on a daily basis when I was a kid. Many kids carried knives for personal protection. Facts are that you are far more likely to be the victim of violent crime if you are a young male. That's not to say there isn't any risk, or even that the risk is lower, but it's about knowing the facts and putting things in proportion. I suppose I have sufficient knowledge of 'the streets' to give me a fair amount of confidence, which I feel helps me avoid trouble. But the bottom line is; if you can';t afford to lose it, then take steps not to. If that means not wandering around rough areas with £0000s of kit on you, then so be it. Better to be safe than yet another statistic.

Up until just over a year ago I lived in London for 15 years and would go out in Central London for photography. I didn't have any problems even between 11pm and 3am. But then it was mostly the central areas around Oxford Street, Leicester Square, Picadilly, etc. IE mostly areas that are busy. The most I'd get was some drunk idiot say "take me picture!" while I was setup doing a long exposure.

However, where I worked in Central London, colleagues were frequently having mobile phones stolen by moped gangs who target people who are using their iPhones while walking and are distracted. These people also target train stations because that's also when people get distracted by their phone.

I've never had a problem while out in the countryside or on the coast for landscape photography. If you go out for sunrise in the countryside or coast where I live now, the only people you'll see will be other togs and dog-walkers and those only come out once the sun is up.
That's not to say there will never be a problem but some common sense, working out what area you feel comfortable in and having insurance (so you don't feel like you need to put yourself at risk to save your gear) all help.
The other thing is not necessarily where you'll be using your camera but how you get there. Is it in your own car or by bus/train? Do you have to walk in the dark? Will an obvious tripod or camera bag make you more noticable?
Now I'm out of London, I tend to be in my car most often, but in London I'd be carrying a rucksack (unbranded, non-obvious camera bag) and sometimes a tripod. I'd stick to busier streets if I felt unsafe. I'd also move with confidence and move swiftly; partially so you're not hanging around longer than you need to but also so you are less like an easy target. I'd also make sure that my hands were free and gear stowed safely when getting on/off public transport.

Use some common sense (where to go and what to take) and there's no reason you can't go shooting out and about, in cities or at night. But if you don't feel safe, don't do it.

Only place that had me concerned was in Egypt. well dodgy, I had Sue walk alongside so the camera was between us when not being used. Another cruise passanger had £300 snatched, he was told not to take too much money but he ignored the warning

RWih5w2.jpg

Last edited:
I was approached late one night in Dublin, while setting up at the Samuel Beckett Bridge. It was a close call and if I wasn't 6'3" with hands like shovels it'd have been a completely different outcome. I'm from Belfast and shoot regularly out at nights but never have had the slightest bit of bother.

Police have recently asked for any witnesses to a robbery of a chap of all of his camera gear whilst he was out photographing wild life. There were two robbers and they apparently took everything.
Beware this happened on Bennerly Fields Cotmanhay, Derbyshire. ( not a million miles from me).

I suppose a lot depends on the time of day and location you are photographing. I don't venture much into urban areas, but I would imagine during daylight hours you would feel much safer. During the hours of darkness is a different matter, and I would advise having a companion with you on those occasions.

On my outings around the Forest, certainly during the daytime, I don't have any concerns when out on my own. I usually drive to a Forestry Commission car park, as the area is quite large and transport is essential, and I then walk into one of the Inclosures from there. When I have done this during the twilight hours (which isn't very often, at least when I'm on my own), I find my senses for my surroundings are heightened, and I'm more aware of any noises nearby. I've never had any confrontations or heard of anyone else being attacked in the Forest, but there is always the chance that an 'outsider' could be passing through the area looking for an opportune moment.

If you know your own area, you soon realise the safest places and times of day to be out. It's when you venture into unfamiliar locations that you need to be more mindful.

Last edited:
Police have recently asked for any witnesses to a robbery of a chap of all of his camera gear whilst he was out photographing wild life. There were two robbers and they apparently took everything.
Beware this happened on Bennerly Fields Cotmanhay, Derbyshire. ( not a million miles from me).
There were reports of a similar thing happening on Dartmoor a couple of years ago.

I've never given it much thought, probably actually too little, because nothing ever happened. I am much more concerned when I'm abroad somehow, even though I also never had problems then. I've had gear stolen in the past, at a restaurant, when I carelessly put it on the chair next to me. I was younger then and this sort of mistake won't happen again (pricey lesson). But normally I would only take the bigger lenses on planned trips and those feel safer to me, on a day-to-day basis it's just pocketable things and the phone.

One interesting aspect for me was that abroad, keeping the camera mostly in my backpack, the photos tend to get better on average... Because I only take out my camera if I think it's worth it (risk/effort).

There were reports of a similar thing happening on Dartmoor a couple of years ago.

There has been an increase in the number of robberies from mountain bikers in places like Dartmoor; thieves have targeted parked cars, but it seems they may have stepped up a notch. You have people in the middle of nowhere, miles from any help, and no police around. Robbers can be miles away before any incident is reported. Thousands of pounds worth of mountain bike and/or camera gear is a good haul for such criminals, and the risks are much lower for them. Crime can happen wherever it gets results.

Our society is rapidly disintegrating. The relentless cutting of police services, and the focus on revenue generating measures such as driving offences etc, means there just aren't the resources to deal with rising crime. Growing inequality and economic hardship only serves to fuel crime. It's no longer just a few desperate drug addicts robbing to feed a habit; it's people who see crime as an effective means to economic security. Hell, when the very people charged with organising our society are all on the take, why not join in?

The problem with basing your 'knowldege' of something only on statistics, is that they often don't tell the real picture.

"ONS figures showed that 0.3% of adults were victims of robbery in the year ending March 2016"

Many robberies go unreported, as people simply do not care enough, or have the time and energy to do so, especially given that the likely outcome is not going to be satisfactory. So the real figures for robberies are likely to be much, much higher. And regardless of statistical 'risk'; if you've been hit by a bus, you've 100% been hit by a bus. Taking precautions is often just sensible, not stupid.

Some years back wildlife togs were being "targeted" apparently the gang (or whatever) would stake out a car park being used by bird photographers and get to know the cars. It seems the idea was big expensive lens and kit would often be left in the car while the tog set up a hide. One of my mates lost a shed load of kit by these toe-rags. As far as I know they were never caught.
Another bunch did weddings not that long ago, a couple dressed tidy would hang around the venue blending in then when mr wedding tog put his/her bag down shooting the groups they'd saunter off with it.
I know neither of these really count as not feeling safe out, but it does make you think about the length some scum will go to nick your kit.

The problem with basing your 'knowldege' of something only on statistics, is that they often don't tell the real picture.

"ONS figures showed that 0.3% of adults were victims of robbery in the year ending March 2016"

Many robberies go unreported, as people simply do not care enough, or have the time and energy to do so, especially given that the likely outcome is not going to be satisfactory. So the real figures for robberies are likely to be much, much higher. And regardless of statistical 'risk'; if you've been hit by a bus, you've 100% been hit by a bus. Taking precautions is often just sensible, not stupid.
We're talking robbery figures here, most people would report a robbery to the police, especially if expensive items had been taken or violence used.

That post shows a deep misunderstanding of the subject.

Robberies and theft (two different things) are probably the most reported crimes in percentage terms.

Why? A Crime Number for insurance purposes.

We're talking robbery figures here, most people would report a robbery to the police, especially if expensive items had been taken or violence used.

Would they? Most people I've known, who have been robbed, haven't bothered reporting the crimes as it's largely pointless, unless you need a CRN for insurance purposes. Even if you do report stuff, there's only a very small chance that any justice will be served.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44884113

The figures for rape and sexual assault are even more depressing:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...-wales-victims-court-cps-police-a8885961.html

And even if you do report things, there's a chance they wont' be recorded properly:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...e-failed-to-record-10000-crimes-watchdog-says

As I said; relying on statistics alone is naive and even dangerous. Crime is on the increase, detection and prosecution decreasing, and the situation will only get worse. Therefore, it pays to take precautions, and err on the side of caution.

Would they? Most people I've known, who have been robbed, haven't bothered reporting the crimes as it's largely pointless, unless you need a CRN for insurance purposes. Even if you do report stuff, there's only a very small chance that any justice will be served.

If you are not hurt then probably the police won't investigate but does that really matter. A long as you provide serial number & other details and get a CRN at least you will get insurance. They won't entertain a claim without a CRN. In most cases the details will be logged correctly and if the equipment should turn up it can be traced back to you. That is the point of reporting crime. It's a bonus if the thief is caught and hung fined.

PS if they don't report the theft of hundreds of pounds then either they have too much money or not enough sense (possibly both).

Last edited:
As I said; relying on statistics alone is naive and even dangerous.

The irony of that statement, given the links in his post, is utterly hilarious.

Shame that he won't get to read this comment!

I’m guessing your blocked
The irony of that statement, given the links in his post, is utterly hilarious.

Shame that he won't get to read this comment!
There sorted.

Back