I need help! Trying to shoot my watch.

Edit My Images
Yes
What I wanted to do here was get some shots that really bring out the immense detail in this thing and it just hasn't worked, I don't think.

FYI, f11 to try and get some dof; natural light simply because I prefer it where possible (I've used a white card reflecting some fill here) and manual focus on the two tabs under the arrow.

I need you guy's expertise here to give me some hints on taking such shots. I would prefer not to get into complex lighting techniques because I really do a prefer a natural look if at all possible and I do quite like the shadow of the second hand here. So please, any tips would be most welcome.

Btw, Canon 60mm Macro EF-S f2.8 in use here.

TIA

watch1.jpg

Last edited:
To be honest chap, apart from it being a teeny bit darker than I would like, I think its a fantastic image, I really do.

The issue is the lighting, you need some hard light to define the textures and edges

Thanks both, lighting is definitely the issue because I think I got the composition about right to bring out what I was after. I'll try again later today and play around with it but I do want to avoid the studio look. I guess that's what I was asking but in rather garbled English, tips to get natural looking light into this type of shot. More fun later!

This is way more difficult than I thought! Anyway, this morning I used the light from a rather gorgeous sunrise coming straight into my study and it's a definite improvement getting that harder light onto it. Nailing the DOF is proving difficult because to get it just right is meaning a long exposure, the watch is an automatic so it does actually vibrate at times. However, please C&C this one. TIA.

navi2.jpg

I think you need to work more on the composition, turn the watch to the left to get rid of the white area and canter the letters, you can then work on a crop that you find suitable. Lighting looks ok but try using a reflector, white card or paper will do. Try on both sides of the watch to see how it affect the light.

Personally, i really like the 1st image.
I think the blueish tint to the background of the watch makes it seem alot more masculine looking, and i like the white edging with the chromed shaped edge of the watch. Makes it seem less flat that the 2nd picture looks.
So apart from nit picking the hell out of it and saying the smudges are a bit distracting, i think #1 is the winner for me.

I'm liking both of them for different reasons

1st I, like Gareth really like the blue that is showing on the background - also I like seeing the edge of the bevel, adds some goo depth to the watch

2nd I really like how the reflection of the arrow is caught in the digits and i like the highlights caught old the gold areas

Ideally if you had a mix of both It would be wonderful - nether the less, both are still gret images in their own way... imo (y)

I'm not being funny but why do you want to take a picture of your watch? There are other things out there which are far more photogenic, frankly I find it boring!

I think you've done well.

You could also try a circular polariser to cut out any reflections. Although this will reduce your shutter speed quite a bit so you'll more than likely need a tripod.

I'm not being funny but why do you want to take a picture of your watch? There are other things out there which are far more photogenic, frankly I find it boring!

The op is new here and probably does not need comments like that aimed at him!, There are photo opportunity's all around us, from macro to abstract and everything in between.
A simple item such as a watch face or a small toy are perfect item to use to practice on, also maybe ask as to the reason for the watch: ie coursework etc etc would of been more constructive:thinking:

Thedodo said:
The op is new here and probably does not need comments like that aimed at him!, There are photo opportunity's all around us, from macro to abstract and everything in between.
A simple item such as a watch face or a small toy are perfect item to use to practice on, also maybe ask as to the reason for the watch: ie coursework etc etc would of been more constructive:thinking:

Agreed

Nice watch picture. Prefer shots like these than all the boring butterfly's etc that everyone seems to post.

It's still boring!!

Chill out. I was just saying. In my opinion butterfly's are boring, I have an opinion, you have one lets leave it at that.

Nice watch picture. Prefer shots like these than all the boring butterfly's etc that everyone seems to post.

If you have a watch then use it to check the time, if you have a flash watch then take a photo of it so everyone can see you have a flash watch!

It's been busy while I've been asleep ;)

Thanks for all the comments, they're very useful and I agree that some combination of the two will probably nail it when I get the chance later this week. I too prefer the composition of the first with the bevel in to give it more depth but I think the lighting just missed it so went to the opposite extreme with 2nd to try it out. After the comments I think I know now what I need to get. We shall see!

Ref the other remarks - this watch means more to me than any other possession, there is a long story behind it which I won't go into. It may be boring to some but it certainly isn't to me and taking shots like these give me immensely more pleasure than shooting houseflies. YMMV.

Whether it's a watch, a car, a butterfly or anything else, it doesn't matter. The OP has asked for advice on how to shoot a watch. The title gives it away so if you find it boring then don't look at the thread. We like to stay a friendly forum that gives constructive and helpful advice, let's keep it that way please.

I did a shot of my watch recently and in my haste to ensure a sharp image I forgot about composition. I feel something similar has happened here and if I may suggest an improvement would be to rotate the watch to the left as already suggested then set the hands at the 10 - 2 position so as not to obscure the make / model. I know its not a watch advert so this may seem overly critical but it can be slightly distracting when the name is partly obscured.

It does not matter what it might be, a watch, a butterfly, an insect or any other item or animal. Just photograph it, it's all good practice. Also post what you like weather it's for crit, pleasure or instruction. You can't please all the people all the time unfortunately :shrug:

I really like the first shot, but as someone else said it's just a little too dark. I think the second is a little bright and too closely cropped. If the automatic movement is causing vibrations, can't you just pull the winder out to stop it? I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Ref the other remarks - this watch means more to me than any other possession, there is a long story behind it which I won't go into. It may be boring to some but it certainly isn't to me ...................

quite right.........

I still have my Omega Geneve Automatic - a 21st present from my Parents....irreplaceable

it'll be 50 next February........:eek:

I'm going to post a ''boring'' pic of it too....:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

now dont start otherwise so schmuck will be wanting a new forum section..:D:D

I wasn't planning on starting a new trend on here! I would however appreciate seeing some more expert attempts than my own?

Btw, I very nearly nailed it this evening but when taking a much closer look I'd missed the focus by a micron. It was too late to try again because the light had gone so I went to the pub instead :)

After more playing about I havn't yet lost the will to live but it's ebbing fast ;)
Two more takes on a 'boring' subject, both take up different aspects of the comments made above (thx) but getting it all into one shot is proving most hard!

#3 Gets most of what I want but the height of the hands does obscure some lettering.
navi8.jpg

#4 A bit of a cheat here. In order to keep all the lettering clear this is a rotated image to get a pleasant angle but with legible writing.The second hand alignment is a bit messy though.
navi9.jpg

How are we doing? TIA

Out of the last two shots the second seems a little soft?

You have a lot of detail to cram in and perhaps too much too as the eye has nowhere to focus on.

I like your original first shot although I prefer the colour version.

Might be best to try from different angles, getting the whole watch then edges then face only then details on the face.

A smaller DoF to focus the eyes on that detail.

Another idea might be to get as close as you can a have a large DoF. Then stitch those big detailed pictures together for a massive pictuer with loads of detail :)

Keep shooting!

Back