Ignorant People and (parents) at Zoos etc (Rant alert)

I will go to the zoo and take some pictures to chill-out :D
Remember to avoid subjects with a single viewpoint, that's at a dead end and is in a new section of the zoo that's been heavily promoted

Is all down to the rights of children.

In my opininion children have a number of rights. I believe they have the right to be cared for, the right to fed adequately, the right to live in a reasonable unthreatening environment, but that is about it.

Other than the above, children have no rights at all.

The acquisition of rights comes with age and development. I guess/hope, that most adults would consider the views/opinions/wants, of a sixteen year old differently to, and with more weight, than those of a three year old.

I say this not because a three year old is less worthy/important than a sixteen year old but because a three year old does not have the abilities of a sixteen year old. A three year old cannot see the consequences or effects of his/her actions, but its parents can; unfortunately some parents either do not see, or do not want to see, those effects.

Dave

So long as I don't get pushed by a child.
Hold said child by the ankle and dangle it over a bear pit, you're bound to get some decent images (y)

At dartmoor fudge would probably lick it a couple of times then go back to sleep

on the otherhand i reckon a good throw would get a small one over the top of the fence on the leopard enclosure at marwell..

and then the mummy mara turned on her and ripped her jugular out* and the parents are now suing the zoo... and free range animals are a thing of the past

(*okay i know mara's are about as dangerous as a carebear , but its going to happen sometime - probably in a lemur walk through)

Haha, probably! We made sure she understood she couldn't go too close to them, or touch them. She was just sitting on the floor looking at them when one wandered over and sat inches away from her! They look cuddly though, I think I'd have found it hard to resist stroking it haha

Haha, probably! We made sure she understood she couldn't go too close to them, or touch them. She was just sitting on the floor looking at them when one wandered over and sat inches away from her! They look cuddly though, I think I'd have found it hard to resist stroking it haha
And thats the best way for them to observe them too (y)

they are - ive had a baby one glue itself to my fleece jacket before (they have velcro like pads on their hands and once they've decided to cuddle its a bugger to get them to let go - that was on a photo day at marwell where we got to go in with them separate to the public) - i also had a golden lion tamarin sit on my shoulder and try to jam a piece of fruit into my ear

and try to jam a piece of fruit into my ear
Its a good job it wasn't jelly and custard in the other ear or you would have ended up a trifle deaf.

(they have velcro like pads on their hands
And a vice like grip too!
I had a red fronted lemur, grab my finger at Woburn, ( they are not paraniod there, like they are at whipsnade, the keepers / helpers that is, not the Lemurs :D )
And it wasn't letting go!

and where else can people go to for example photograph a gorrilla ? - not everyone can afford the 7k plus for a trip into the rwandan foothills/.

Can someone who enjoys zoo photography explain this bit to me? The vast majority of photos of animals in captivity I've seen seem to been trying to replicate the safari/wild photo.

It's like going to a Sealed Knot event hoping people will think you're Don McCullin ;)

Can someone who enjoys zoo photography explain this bit to me? The vast majority of photos of animals in captivity I've seen seem to been trying to replicate the safari/wild photo.
I think you need to ask the people who took those pictures ;)

I had a similar experience at The Deep in Hull. I had a camera with me, but i was actually there on a day out with my daughter, who was five at the time. We were waiting out turn to see the penguins and kept getting shoved out of the way by an adult. After a few minutes, i decided to expand myself into Mr Fat Ba****d and stick myself to the glass with my daughter wedged in between me and the glass, leaving plenty of room for the ill mannered beings to fight it out elsewhere, yet enjoying what we paid for.

If what I described above is regarded as hard line, then it explains why there are so many delicate, pampered young adults these days, who are simultaneously cocky in attitude, yet utterly without any confidence to take risks or handle failure.
Out of your many posts David, plenty that I have agreed with and disagreed with, this is one of your finest moments. Well said.

I agree with the people who have mentioned it's a public venue and therefore the OP can't complain too much. Zoo etiquette, as I've always known it, is: children first. Most adults have been to the zoo plenty of times, but for children it's still something new and fascinating so I don't blame any parent who shoves their kid (who can't get through the crowd on their own) against the glass to get a look at what will potential blow their kid's mind. However, the second rule of zoo etiquette is taking turns. People who press their faces during the glass for the entire show are jerks. Everyone needs to understand that it's not a private show, photographers and other visitors included.

As already mentioned, not everyone can afford several K for a safari, the trick is is to eliminate the reflection from the glass, obliterate the wire, and get a natural background shot

What is even worse is when someone comes close up to you with a cigarette and insists on trying to give you cancer. But I guess thats another thread entirely.

Not been on the forum for a few weeks. Come back and it's turned into a smug self righteous version of mumsnet.....yikes

Yeah. Modern youth are rubbish. Which is just what my parents said about my generation. And their parents about their generation. And every generation about the next generation forever......yawn

I lost the will to read the whole thread so sorry if the following advice has already been offered to the op... before going to the zoo don't wash for a week, paint a few spots on your face and cough and fart loudly a lot and just maybe there'll be a 6ft space around you.

It's like going to a Sealed Knot event hoping people will think you're Don McCullin ;)

What makes you think people are trying to replicate the wild photo?

Is it because the image is free of as many unsightly elements such as wires and reflections? Surely that is just photographers trying to make a good photograph of their subject?

What makes you think people are trying to replicate the wild photo?

Is it because the image is free of as many unsightly elements such as wires and reflections? Surely that is just photographers trying to make a good photograph of their subject?

Yes that's what I thought
I always try to focus out the wires and wait till the animal is in a good spot with nice light and background
Not trying to replicate a wild shot just that a picture of a lion for example taken when it's close to the fence and all the wires are in focus looks rubbish :D

Last edited:
I lost the will to read the whole thread so sorry if the following advice has already been offered to the op... before going to the zoo don't wash for a week, paint a few spots on your face and cough and fart loudly a lot and just maybe there'll be a 6ft space around you.

Now that takes me back to when I worked in hospital pathology and there were occasions when myself and colleagues travelled on a jam packed tube train......it was noticeable how we got some space just by talking 'shop' :D

ive always found that by bringing out some cans of carlsberg "special brew" made people give me a wide berth, very handy for long train journeys, few cans spread on the table in front of me all but guaranteed nobody would want to sit next to me :beer::beer::beer::D

Hi,

In complete reverse, I was at the Big Hoot Farewell in Birmingham today. A everyone was give each other the chance to get a clean photo of each owl. It was great.

This is just a guess, as ive never been to Chester Zoo, but I very much doubt that the Croc in question was at Gothgirls eye level, meaning that she would have to crouch down to take the photo. So, if that is the case, the shorter little darlings would indeed still be in the way wouldnt they?. Equal rights are equal rights, and im assuming Gothgirl paid to get in like anyone else, so surely she should be equally entitled to take a photo as anyone else would.

I sympathise with Gothgirl...not as a photographer...but as a normal person that would hope others would have some manners in a similar situation.

NO, the OP doesnt have any more rights than anyone else, I understand that, but what right did these other people have to just barge in front of her?

I sympatise fully with the OP because this is how the rules seem to be

1. If we were here first, you have no right to invade our space - I kid you not,a woman at Brockenhurst carnival accused me of this, despite the fact that I was there first, and she wanted to be where I was standing
2. if my kids push in frount of you that is perfecibly acceptible
3. If you assert "your rights", you are rude and aggressive

Because it's part of learning. We have a season ticket to London zoo and go maybe once every two months. My three year old daughter has been going since she was about 6 months old - she certainly wasn't interested in the animals at first, she developed a bit of a thing for the monkeys and now all she wants to do is go on the bouncy castle ;)

Yes, there are other, cheaper and free things we do as well. But exposing kids to things they don't yet know they're interested in is, I hope, part of being a parent.

And, back to the op's point, it's another environment for kids to experience and be guided how to behave appropriately.
Don't forget that if you are a tax payer it is a handy tax avoidance measure as well (y)

I fully agree. I think the expectations big soft moose has highlighted and expressed are highly unrealistic for a young child. You are basically asking them to make an association between money, the cost and value of an entrance tick, a fun day out with Mum and dad, being outside, and you have to be quiet and not heard. Oh and find the animals interesting. It do not think it is fair to put such expectations on as the responsibility of a very young child.

As parents we are the ones ending up totally wiped out following a day like that. That is because we have to create that interest, we have to manage such situations, we have to talk, and engage with our children. We also have to manage their energy levels both up and down, and take them to the playgrounds in the zoo as part of maintaining the interest that we have to create.

expecting them to have that interest because we paid an expensive entrance ticket is unfair in my opinion. As is all this anti children talk when is parents make a single mistake. It's wonderful to see so many perfect people on here. Mine are 13 and 9 now and we are still learning and merely doing our best.

It's wonderful to see so many perfect people on here.
Well this is Talk Photopgraphy and not DP review :D

Can't remember the last time I was at a zoo but I have noticed similar behaviour whilst with someone in a wheelchair at an outdoor event. We rolled up while there were few people about and the persons feet were no more than a foot from the fence, people slowly arrived and the crowds built up until the area was quite full and at this point children stood in front of me (fair enough) and then crawled in front of the person in the wheel chair to the point that they were interfering with their feet and I had to ask them to move.

Another little example of pushing in from recently. Flying home I was one of the first to arrive at the carousel and as the crowd built up a child pushed in and stood between me and the carousel which was quite a squeeze as I was stood right at the thing. I had to ask his dozy parents to shift him before he lost all his teeth as I pulled my case off the carousel.

Sorry to parents but they're your kids, take responsibility for them, teach them some manners and control them.

Last edited:
Sorry to parents but they're your kids, take responsibility for them, teach them some manners and control them.

And that's all I ask.
Let them run around like feral things at home all you like.
Making them behave in public is NOT denying them freedom of expression (Yes,...heard that one at last zoo visit).

And that seems to be the line of thought running through the thread to, and quite rightly so (y)
Making them behave in public is NOT denying them freedom of expression (Yes,...heard that one at last zoo visit).

But the animals at the zoo are allowed to run round :D
Oh wait a minute ;)

INSIDE the enclosures...

Well this is Talk Photopgraphy and not DP review :D

I don't think anyone has really disagreed with this from what I can remember of the thread, what I think has got a few parents commenting (me included) is the fact that all parents are being labeled as inconsiderate and letting their children run riot. In all these examples at the zoos I would bet that there were probably hundreds of families keeping control of their kids and having a great time.

I would bet that there were probably hundreds of families keeping control of their kids and having a great time.
I spend a lot of time at Whipsnade, and at rough guess I'd say its split 50/50 and that includes the (Human) feeding station, (which is generally packed) , with kids climbing running around some screaming, some not, bumping into people carrying trays of food, climbing on tables and chairs, and more.

I spend a lot of time at Whipsnade, and at rough guess I'd say its split 50/50 and that includes the (Human) feeding station, (which is generally packed) , with kids climbing running around some screaming, some not, bumping into people carrying trays of food, climbing on tables and chairs, and more.

I thought the chimpanzee's tea party had been discontinued

The most interesting animals to observe at the zoo by far are our fellow human beings, and the other animals have the best seats in the house.

If only they could take pictures... :)

I thought the chimpanzee's tea party had been discontinued

Damn I've been found out, I admit I really am Cobra @kennethwfd we all want to be like him, but very few actually reach their goal ;) :p

Duplicate accounts! Bannable offence!!!

Then again, I'm sure I've seen them both at the same time...

I think I must live in a different country than most of the posters on here. I find most children reasonably well mannered and well behaved with parents by and large doing a decent job of keeping them under some kind of control. Perhaps its just my expectations are more realistic, they are children we should make allowances for that.

Back