iOS5

This is horrible. My phone is now stuck in recovery mode and if I want to get it working again itunes is telling me i need to restore it to factory settings? WTF?!

Allow it to restore to factory, if you have been trying to upgrade you should have a back up from earlier tonight you can restore once the factory restore is done.

"iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode. You must restore this iPhone before it can be used with iTunes."

This is disappointing :(

Allow it to restore to factory, if you have been trying to upgrade you should have a back up from earlier tonight you can restore once the factory restore is done.

Makes sense. It did do a backup. Will give that a shot.

"The iPhone 'iPhone' could not be restored. An internal error occurred".

.... right.

Just installed ios5 I temporarily disabled the firewall on McAfee because the error messages said it related to not being able to connect to Port 80 etc so disabled firewall and it installed OK

Makes sense. It did do a backup. Will give that a shot.

Should be fairly safe, when the factory restore completes you should get the welcome screen in iTunes asking if you want to set up as a new iPhone or restore from a drop down list of backups.

It worked for me with my iPad.

"The iPhone 'iPhone' could not be restored. An internal error occurred".

.... right.

Try putting it into DFU mode before starting.

Edit

That could also be the same as the error 3200 internal error (the problem could be server strain, not your phone or PC), if so, it's just a matter of keep trying.

Last edited:
I had the errors as others have stated.

I turned phone off, disconected from itunes and then switched back on and connected as normal.

Then I clicked the iPhone on the left, and then chose "Restore" rather than update.

It restored to the latest iOS, which in this case is iOS 5.

All working fine now here, iMessages is awesome!

Ooh i cant wait to get home and update my ipad2 and iphone4, i didnt realise it was all out, shame im stuck offshore in the middle of the ruddy north sea.

just read through all this as out on a tradeshow in germany right now, you lot are hilarious, you've gone all this time without ios5 but now you HAVE to have it on the day it released :LOL:

joescrivens said:
just read through all this as out on a tradeshow in germany right now, you lot are hilarious, you've gone all this time without ios5 but now you HAVE to have it on the day it released :LOL:

Too right Joe.... Haha

You couldn't have a kid get all excited about Xmas then on Xmas morning tell the
that they're probably better off waiting a couple of days before they open their presents!!

We're all big kids at heart!!

Last edited:
Well looks like iPad is updating this morning.
Wondering about iCloud ... 5GB free, but is that per account or per iphone/ipad using the account? I'm guessing it's per account therefore the more you have the more you are likely to need to pay for the storage.
Think I'm going to stay with backup to laptop for the moment.

So if you weren't at this trade show and were sat at home on a normal Weds night and you wouldn't try downloading it?:thinking:

been up since 5.30am this morning - have done iPhone and just finishing off iPad now.

my initial concerns are surrounding iCloud and Gmail both trying to sync my mail, calendars and contacts.

i am going to end up with 5 of each or none of anything at this rate :shrug:

Well looks like iPad is updating this morning.
Wondering about iCloud ... 5GB free, but is that per account or per iphone/ipad using the account? I'm guessing it's per account therefore the more you have the more you are likely to need to pay for the storage.
Think I'm going to stay with backup to laptop for the moment.

It doesn't matter how many devices you have, it will be the same amount of data. It's the same data being shuffled between the devices.

This is such a pain in the arse. I have never, ever had such an issue trying to get an update to work. When I first got my iPhone, I had to update it, and to update it you have to first restore it. iTunes clears my iPhone, and then just refuses to do anything else. Just spews out error messages: "The iPhone "iPhone" can not be restored at this time. An unknown error (-1) occurred."

When it happened last time, I took it into the Apple shop and they just updated it straight away, so clearly it's an issue with the hardware I have, but I personally think it's completely unacceptable to just give a generic error message and say, "Sorry it's not working,"

It would be fine if it just said, "Sorry we can't update it at the moment, just carry on with your current firmware," but they just clear the phone, so I can't even turn it on. "You have to restore your iPhone before you can use it," - okay, I'll try that. "Sorry we can't restore your iPhone. Not sure why, either."

Don't get me wrong, I love my iPhone, it's brilliant, and so much better (once you get it working properly) than the HTC Hero I had, or the Samsung Tocco before, but I have never had this much hassle with a piece of hardware before. The dependency it has on iTunes, while it makes sense, is irritating and clumsy. I've created a playlist that syncs to my iPhone so I can have music on it, but then when I sync my iPhone the music doesn't get added. I have to go to the music tab and sync that separately.

P.s. Error message 37, relating to security software, this time.

Last edited:
Lost my ringtone .. plinky-plonk Apple defaults, why can't they get into the 21st century :annoyed:

If anyone has lost there custom ringtones then untick "sync ringtones" in iTunes then sync your phone with iTunes then retick "sync ringtones" in iTunes then resync your phone and they will be back :)

If anyone has lost there custom ringtones then untick "sync ringtones" in iTunes then sync your phone with iTunes then retick "sync ringtones" in iTunes then resync your phone and they will be back :)

Good man - I was missing 'The Killers' when anyone called :D (y)

Managed to get it to work first time today, unlike last nights nightmares.

I purposely left it until this afternoon, and the whole processed rattled along without an issue.

I have to say though, having updated, I'm not sure what all the fuss over iOS5 was about :thinking:

Simmotino said:
I purposely left it until this afternoon, and the whole processed rattled along without an issue.

I have to say though, having updated, I'm not sure what all the fuss over iOS5 was about :thinking:

There are a few good bits like the new notifications and the iMessage. Tabbed browsing in safari is also very usefull. The cloud thing is pretty neat. I take a photo on my iPhone and it's sent straight to my iPad. Apart from that, it's probably all back end stuff for the 4s.

There are a few good bits like the new notifications and the iMessage. Tabbed browsing in safari is also very usefull. The cloud thing is pretty neat. I take a photo on my iPhone and it's sent straight to my iPad. Apart from that, it's probably all back end stuff for the 4s.

Notifications aren't really of any use to me as my phone is always with me (it's a mobile after all) so I rarely miss a text/call.

Push is turned off for everything to prolong battery life, so it's of no use there either.

Safari I prefer with separate windows rather than tabs, and I don't want iPhone photos on my iPad, so iCloud isn't an attractive proposition.

I guess iOS5 just wasn't designed for me! :LOL:

I'm loving the centralised notifications and the way they don't interrupt an app now, I used to get frustrated when a text came in mid level on call of duty :D

So if you weren't at this trade show and were sat at home on a normal Weds night and you wouldn't try downloading it?:thinking:

i've had it for three months so no need, but no i would wait till it was much quieter - ever since the first app store update all them years ago which took forever i always wait for the quieter times.

Managed to update my ipad today, then had the hassle of creating all my folders again.

It was quicker putting android on my touchpad :)

mine updated pretty painlessly

not sure I like the news stand thing being stuck on the front page or the music app for that matter

I dont keep music on my iPad as its allready on my phone and pc dont need a zillion copies

Just updated my Ipad, I was terrified of starting the job after all your tales of woe, but it just flew through the download, updated the software, restored the apps, retstarted and works perfectly.
How simple was that?

iOS 5 = 'meh'

Irritating having the Newsstand icon forced on me, just the kind of petty thing that really gets on my tits with Apple.

Roll on Windows 8 ARM tablets

I don't see the problem with the news stand icon, I just slid it over to a screen where I keep my little used apps. It's out of sight and out of mind now.

I don't see the problem with the news stand icon, I just slid it over to a screen where I keep my little used apps. It's out of sight and out of mind now.

Me neither. It's one of the few things from iOS5 that I'll actively use!

Wary of iMessenger at the moment as well. Can't see any details anywhere of the amount of data each message uses currently.

Updating mine was a PITA on the night of the launch, with loads of errors and apps not coming over properly. Did the wifes last night though and it was as painless as painless can be, not a single hiccup or glitch.

Back