iOS5

Contacts not working :thumbsdown:
They are still listed in contacts but touching to activate just brings up a grey screen!
Nothing gets tested anymore.
Just had a frustrating morning fitting some faulty gear, it's getting to the stage now where I'm thinking I need to take two of everything with me just to get one that works :annoyed:

Well, it's finished. Apart from some more un-delete-able apps that I'll never use and a bit of configuration on what can and can't use location services, it doesn't look as though much has changed, although the AppStore app crashed the first time I tried to apply some updates.

Can't say I'm bothered about iCloud, I've had a gmail account for years and don't even use their calendar so I'm not going to start using Apple's now.

Beginning to wonder why I bothered updating ... must be a slow day :LOL:

Does reverting restore everything to how it was?

Contacts not working :thumbsdown:
They are still listed in contacts but touching to activate just brings up a grey screen!
Nothing gets tested anymore.
Just had a frustrating morning fitting some faulty gear, it's getting to the stage now where I'm thinking I need to take two of everything with me just to get one that works :annoyed:

Bugger, just realised the same! :(

Hoping they'll release an update to address these issues

Funny, my contacts are fine. I've been in to edit a few and just tried making a call from a contact record and it's all good.

Everything seems to be working on mine now - contacts etc etc.... touchwood.

Slightly cliched response I know, but power cycling* the phone will often straighten things like this out.

*Yes, that is the posh term for "turn it off and on again" :LOL:

Slightly cliched response I know, but power cycling* the phone will often straighten things like this out.

Another good man :) (y)

Tried that, no luck. :(

Worst think of all, my favourite app doesn't work any more. :bang:

There's a lot of noise about the loss of multitouch gestures on iPad 1 with IOS 5 - I didn't know but you could enable these with a hack/jailbreak that no longer works. Multitouch gestures have been officially released for iPad 2 in IOS 5.

Has anyone out there upgraded their un-hacked/broken iPad 1 to IOS 5, and if so do the standard pinch and zoom gestures still work, or are these disabled as well?

Thanks

Anyone else suffering from all of their photos being out of sequence in their albums now? Mine are all over the place!

andybeach said:
There's a lot of noise about the loss of multitouch gestures on iPad 1 with IOS 5 - I didn't know but you could enable these with a hack/jailbreak that no longer works. Multitouch gestures have been officially released for iPad 2 in IOS 5.

Has anyone out there upgraded their un-hacked/broken iPad 1 to IOS 5, and if so do the standard pinch and zoom gestures still work, or are these disabled as well?

Thanks

Just checked. Pinch and zoom worked fine in safari on iPad 1 running os5.

Nah. The TP app is great but I don't post from it that much. The app in question is Big Cup Cricket, very addictive and I'm missing it greatly a the moment. :bang:

I did mine when it first came out and it bricked my iphone 4 lol, eventually fixed and installed ios5, restored but none of my apps came back to the phone, no biggy though as i didnt use most of them anyway..

Sorry Steve, but I am a bit overwhelmed (disappointed) with iOS5/iCloud ...

Wifi iTunes Syncing
- but you still got to have pc on and iTunes running, so may as well just plug in USB lead and get a trickle charge whilst it is running

iCloud Backup
- it reckons the iPad backup won't fit in the 5gb and I need to purchase more
- totally reliant on my BBand upload speed and is going to take forever
- only runs when plugged in and on wi-fi

Photostream
- only runs when on wi-fi - my iPhone is never connected to wifi, would be much more useful if it uploaded the pics as soon as you took them whilst out and about
- you still have to copy them onto pc/mac at some point or they will be gone in 30 days

Bookmarks
- only syncs with IE on the pc and not Google Chrome (don't use IE)
- which device is the master to enable tidy up

Mail/calendar/contacts
- already use gmail quite happily to sync this stuff to my devices, now iCloud and gmail are fighting for supremacy
- not able to add additional mailboxes to iCloud, so I have to forward gmail to iCloud and end up with duplicates

iTunes
- the purchased music (for new purchases) works great, but what about previous purchases, these don't automatically download to a new device
- iTunes match not coming to uk any time soon

I really wanted this to be the solution to all my 'syncing data across multiple devices' issues, but it looks like I'm still going to have to rely on Dropbox and freeware copying utils

Anyone else disappointed or is it just me?

Last edited:
I'm having trouble bulk copying images in created albums (which have been edited and auto enhanced) to the pc/dropbox.. it seems to send only the original file. I guess it's something to do with the xmp file but it's mighty annoying to not have the improved image file.

Any workarounds other than emailing them in 5s?

I read an article the other day saying that Steve Jobs vowed to destroy Android, even if it cost him all $40,000,000,000 in Apple's bank account, for 'stealing' the operating system - he said Android was so similar to iOS that it was literally theft.

Hey, Steve, I don't suppose you've seen the new notification bar on iOS5? No? Oh, well, funny, because it's EXACTLY THE SAME AS THE ONE ON ANDROID. Such hypocrisy.

Share and share alike Steve, if you have $40,000,000,000 in the bank is it really such a pressing issue that you should feel so bloodthirsty?

ah i wondered how long thatd take to surface on here..

i think apples main gripe with Andriod was the swipes and gestures, from what i remember apple have the pinch (etc) patented.

a patent is a patent, im sure youd be peeved if another company started using something you had rights to.

happens all the time in the clothing sector too. the company i work for have had at least 2 or 3 patent issues in the last 6 months. and theyre always pretty agressive "negociations".

bl0at3r said:
Wifi iTunes Syncing
- but you still got to have pc on and iTunes running, so may as well just plug in USB lead and get a trickle charge whilst it is running

I'm sorry but how else were you expecting it to work? It's not like data is going to float around your house until you switch your PC on, then suddenly go "Oh hey he's switched his PC on, now we can download from thin air!"

bl0at3r said:
Mail/calendar/contacts
- already use gmail quite happily to sync this stuff to my devices, now iCloud and gmail are fighting for supremacy
- not able to add additional mailboxes to iCloud, so I have to forward gmail to iCloud and end up with duplicates

Don't use iCloud for mail then? Your not forced to do so. I use iCloud for plenty of things however I didn't want a .me address when I can sync gmail so easily already.

Never mind patents, still can't get 'Contacts' working - all showing but either don't work on 'click' or just move to a blank grey screen :bang:

Just tried it and done it, left this open, closed it with smart cover, followed instructions and have by passed my password. Where I am guessing I can now go to settings and disable password protection.

Ok, so when I press centre button to go to another program it pulls up the security number wanted part.

I'm sorry but how else were you expecting it to work? It's not like data is going to float around your house until you switch your PC on, then suddenly go "Oh hey he's switched his PC on, now we can download from thin air!"

via iCloud perhaps? oh no wait half of it is not available in the uk yet

Don't use iCloud for mail then? Your not forced to do so. I use iCloud for plenty of things however I didn't want a .me address when I can sync gmail so easily already.

i am still using gmail and have now in fact turned off mail, contacts and calendar via iCloud

How do you start a new batch of photos adding to photostream once the 1000 images have been added?

lawrenceots said:
How do you start a new batch of photos adding to photostream once the 1000 images have been added?

I thought it just deleted the oldest photo and replaced with the latest one ?

So I thought - but it's not. :/

Flippin' typical, I just installed iOS5 on my iphone4 and now my car says "device not supported" :shrug: ... might have to re-install v4 :thumbsdown:

Back