Review iPad Review & TP Update Thread

:agree: again! I have sold my netbook today :) eBook ready will shortly be following it through the door :)

Still loving it. It is fantastic for grabbing and responding to emails whilst at work. Want a case though...

:agree: again! I have sold my netbook today :) eBook ready will shortly be following it through the door :)

Still loving it. It is fantastic for grabbing and responding to emails whilst at work. Want a case though...

That is good to hear. I think I will wait for the UK versions to become available. I won't need huge memory as I will probably just stick photos on it at most. My music can stay on my iPhone. Which will be upgraded in July hopefully!

First Issue - Charging.
The iPad will not charge off of my Macbook Pro Usb or my Belkin Hub. It appears that the USB is required to be high power (10W) that you get with iMacs and desktop PC's.

Is charging fine now off of my iMac desktop. Annoying that I cant charge with the laptop though...

Meh - you suck for having one before me :) Thanks for the write up.
Dub
(we have an employee visiting our HQ in the US at the moment and I am praying he managed to locate one for me. Everyone is sold out so far. He has orders from 3 people so far lol)

Very jealous!! I'm currently selling CDs on play.com to try to fund my purchase!

Justification to the girlfriend: CDs were in the loft anyway so the iPad wont cost me anything therefore it doesn't matter that it's an unnecessary gadget! lol

Pre-order and UK pricing on May 10th with delivery end May. Apple have put us back from end April.

how does it perform in bright sunlight ? thats what im interested in, for reading in the summer...

Nicely - on a par with the iPhone display I would say. No iBooks for the UK yet so only going on how webpages are readable.

Meh - you suck for having one before me :) Thanks for the write up.
Dub
(we have an employee visiting our HQ in the US at the moment and I am praying he managed to locate one for me. Everyone is sold out so far. He has orders from 3 people so far lol)

Sorry dude! Best of luck in getting one - there are a few on ebay - and the exchange rate/lower comparitive cost from the states works in the UK buyers favour. If you can grab one from the states with your employee then it is even better (y) Dont forget a case! They are hens teeth here - £75ish for a $39 genuine apple case!

Very jealous!! I'm currently selling CDs on play.com to try to fund my purchase!

Justification to the girlfriend: CDs were in the loft anyway so the iPad wont cost me anything therefore it doesn't matter that it's an unnecessary gadget! lol

I would go along with that! Have you got any laptops/netbooks etc that would become surplus? <- always good to sell for dineros!

BTW did you get the Guardian app? It looks really nice.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/ipad

On it! Thanks matey! Looks to be just the guardian pics?

Pre-order and UK pricing on May 10th with delivery end May. Apple have put us back from end April.

That REALLY sucks :thumbsdown: Blooming UK barriers to entry. And I want a case for mine - cant see apple store selling before they release the iPads.

Last edited:
Hope not Zak - the apple support and staff seem sure it is a firmware issue rather than hardware. There was a very similar problem with one of the original iPhones that they sorted with a firmware update.

Believe me, you don't want to know.

What are the first generation of Ipad apps are like? Getting back to the subject.

Sorry Carl - missed this one. The apps are good - have got Plants v Zombies, Desktop Connect (VNC) and Tweetdeck.

You can only get the apps in the uk itunes store by searching for them as there is no iPad App section yet so it is a job to know/see which are the ones to download.

What I can confirm is that the iPhone apps perform really well - albeit pixcelated when x2 expanded to fill the screen.

Kindle is available so will be giving that a try this afternoon when I can find a book I want to buy!

Sorry Carl - missed this one. The apps are good - have got Plants v Zombies, Desktop Connect (VNC) and Tweetdeck.

You can only get the apps in the uk itunes store by searching for them as there is no iPad App section yet so it is a job to know/see which are the ones to download.

What I can confirm is that the iPhone apps perform really well - albeit pixcelated when x2 expanded to fill the screen.

Kindle is available so will be giving that a try this afternoon when I can find a book I want to buy!

This should help! http://appshopper.com/ipad/ :D

:) Indeed I do like it! Apologies - I got excited as I thought a UK paper had already offered a free subscription app!

Thanks for the link toooo! I shall be busy!

Guardian Eyewitness App
Really lovely app - sponsored by Canon. Scroll through latest and greatest images on the Guardian, with 'Pro Tips' as to how they were shot below each.
Options to play a slideshow, email/facebook out, and add to a favourites selection. Can see this being used as a relaxation tool regularly - browse pro images from around the world from the past week etc. Dissapointed that there is only captions accompanying the image rather than a relevant article (if there is one).

Thanks for the heads up Chris (y)

Last edited:
For the love of god, cut it out. I've just browsed appshopper and now i want one even more :( Dear god... deliver me from this desire! It's eating me up!

Turn the knife a little bit more.. go on.. don't think you got it all the way round yet :)

I can honestly say i dont want it But i do want a macbook :(

One of the new ones?

I want a modbook but it would be ever better if there was an iPad emulator for MacOS that I could install on it.

Update on charging - Most strange, despite saying 'Not Charging' next to the battery icon, my iPad has recharged itself whilst I have been out of the office. Methinks it does still charge on lower wattage USB but a lot slower?

According to the people on MacRumours, it will charge from USB providing the screen is off (and you aren't using a really old computer). Anything reasonably modern will slowly charge it so long as that large screen isn't also drawing power.

According to the people on MacRumours, it will charge from USB providing the screen is off (and you aren't using a really old computer). Anything reasonably modern will slowly charge it so long as that large screen isn't also drawing power.

Cheers for the headsup. That all makes a lot of sense - suspected it would charge slower, and only with the beasty screen off.

They're rubbish I don't want one :razz:

:coat:

:LOL: Sorry missed this one - Darren you had better get one - especially when you think of the deluge of possible questions you could get. Really by getting one you are saving time and money....

If I was using one during a remote photo shoot how do I get get photos from the camera on it & can it handle RAW ?

I think you would need to find an app to update 'over the air'. If not you would need to use iTunes to sync via wire each time. As far as I am aware it can handle raw - but only by iTunes 'Optimizing' the photo when syncing.

Yes and no... :shrug: ...if you do a search on, say Photo for example, the results will be split into iPhone and iPad sections on the screen, which is quite useful... :D

Although in time they will surely provide an up-front split if you know what category you want the search facility does provide enough info... ;)

:p

:LOL: I know that but half of them are missing still whilst they sort out all the UK store. No iBooks yet either. - Did get Kindle working - although very slow to download books - methinks cos it was using the US servers.

Can I ask, what features do you find the iPad to be lacking, which you wish to have had included?

I love the form factor, but I am a bit hesitant now with this whole idea of having to be dependent on iTunes and another computer for added functionality. The thing is, my mind realises this is a well designed and executed PDA, but my heart wants a small tablet Mac :(

For a short while this morning, I started to contemplate the MacAir :eek:

Wail.

Features lacking:
2 days of full usage. I have a brief insight. The biggie for me is the restrictions of the 'iPhone Esque' os. If apple had written a new os that includes a fully functioning finder then I can honestly say it would be revolutionary. The lack of NAS/file explored support is a downer and is restrictive on the device and tonight yes I did find it slightly frustrating to have to boot up the mac to upload a pic to TP. I can totally see where you are coming from with the mac air alternative because of this - the device has all the physical parameters needed to replace the laptop but is bound by its os and I guess to a certain extent processing power. Of course I also have to take in to account that things like Photoshop would be tricky on a touch screen. By opening the device up to a full os I think they would struggle to satisfy universally - some will want it for gaming, others for a simple browser that is universally accessible - and with the all important price that simply has to please everyone I don't think it would be achievable. The beauty of the iPhone OS is its simplicity and GUI - and I am certain it will make the iPad a success with the masses. It is not and was not designed to replace a laptop or desktop - simply to sit alongside and perform some of the tasks such as email just as well and in a highly portable and instant manner that is more accessible and user friendly that the iPhone/touch. (Please don't think I have lost any love for the iPhone - it still rocks for instant in pocket access to music and most of what the iPad offers - just presented in a smaller and less approachable package. Will I still use the iPhone to check email etc? Yes. Would I still use to to reply to emails or surf the web if I have the iPad in reach? No.)

In essence I guess what I am trying to say is that the iPad has done exactly what the iPhone did when I first got one - it has slotted in to my life and daily routine. I guess that is what makes it simply so good - no gimmicks or over stretching of the capability - it truly is a king PDA, a sexy gadget and a very useful tool in every day life. Again just like the iPhone, I feel that it has quietly slotted in to my day - not some gimmick that gets screamed about for a day then put in a drawer - but a tool that although takes some getting used to (for typing example) that now has me reaching for it regularly instead of waiting for MacBook to boot up, and my iPhone battery now lasts 2 days rather than one!

I guess and hope one day that apps will cover the bridge between capability and wants from users - such as tethered shooting and over the air content updates etc. Until then - if you find that you grab an iPhone or net book on a regular basis then I would thoroughly and totally recommend the iPad. For everything that apple stated it would do at launch, it does perfectly, and the potential for apps in then future goes a long way to making the iPad the perfect bridge between PDA and laptop. It won't be for everyone mind - my main uses are for very quick and accessible use of safari, email, books and apps. I think you need to at least be looking to use it in anger for two of those if not more.

My opinion after two days use - I bloody love it.

I hope you can dissect some useful info from my ramblings - but I guess a full opinion was what you were after.

Last edited:
Back