Review iPad Review & TP Update Thread

I don't want it, I don't want it, I don't want it, I don't want it, I don't want it, I don't want it, I don't want it, I don't want it, I don't want it, I don't want it, I don't want it, I don't want it.

And breathe....

No I still want it. :( :LOL:

I want it, I want it, I want it, I want it, I want it, I want it, I want it, I want it, I want it, I want it, I want it, I want it, I want it, I want it, I want it, I want it, I want it, I want it, I want it, I want it, I want it, I want it, I want it, I want it, I want it, I want it, I want it, I want it, I want it, I want it, I want it, I want it, I want it, I want it, I want it,

I want it too. :)

Smooth,

That's an outstanding reply to my query (y), thank you very much.

There are a couple of important reasons why I want an iPad; 1) it's, as you've said, a king PDA; 2) it's a sexy gadget. But for real usage, I wanted to ascertain it is what I would need, and not just something I wanted.

The idea of the MacAir popped up suddenly, when I realised that the iPad had certain OS and feature restrictions; but as you've so well put it, it seems to be due to Apple having to please a wider audience.

I guess my next move is to tabulate; 1) why I gave up on the iPhone; 2) make a checklist of pros & cons for the MacAir vs. iPad; 3) list what features of the iPad I specifically find useful; 4) redesign my work flow & practice (currently using a 17" MacBook Pro as my workhorse with an HP server at home; may be time to move to an iMac for my server, another iMac as my workhorse, a MacAir for portability and an iPad for overnight excursions .. that would be ideal but a rather costly change).

Of course, buying the iPad is something I will do, if only to satisfy my wanting it :p; but deciding on which model to go for is a different issue :thinking:

Again, thank you so much for the time taken for your elaborate reply.

These 'problems' are the reason I fancy a modbook :) Best of both worlds (y)

I guess my next move is to tabulate; 1) why I gave up on the iPhone; 2) make a checklist of pros & cons for the MacAir vs. iPad; 3) list what features of the iPad I specifically find useful; 4) redesign my work flow & practice (currently using a 17" MacBook Pro as my workhorse with an HP server at home; may be time to move to an iMac for my server, another iMac as my workhorse, a MacAir for portability and an iPad for overnight excursions .. that would be ideal but a rather costly change).

Of course, buying the iPad is something I will do, if only to satisfy my wanting it :p; but deciding on which model to go for is a different issue :thinking:

Again, thank you so much for the time taken for your elaborate reply.

You are more than welcome Wail - and I am glad you managed to ascertain some useful info from the rambling!
Why did you give up on the iPhone? If it was for size and frustrating typing then I can see where you are coming from - and partly the reason I love the pad - it expands upon the strengths of the iphone and allows extensive email/safari use without frustration.

If it were me then I would find it hard to operate both a Macbook and an Air - the features are too closely met for me. In my dream setup I would have a mac server/desktop and an iPad - my uses for a laptop are 80% portable emails and browsing, 10% portable pictures and 10% program runner. I definitely think I could cover most of the 20% by using the iPad for portable picture viewing and using work computers etc linked back to my (imaginary) mac server. If money permitted I would still definitely keep the laptop in there too.

It all boils down to your own private workflow - do you see yourself being frustrated by app limitations or would you find it a useful everyday tool for instant email and browsing etc?

These 'problems' are the reason I fancy a modbook :) Best of both worlds (y)

Fair one Darren. Although my minor gripe with one would be if they didnt have a good standby mode so no instant safari etc.

Sorry, you all seem to have an issue here.

My Issue is are you allowed to have it.

I really am trying to justify why it is so important for me to get one.

Put it this way my wife wants some "Jimmy Chew shoes" she has wanted a long time before I wanted an Ipad.

Help me.

:) Shoes would wear quicker than an iPad? :shrug:

Only you can make up your mind whether you would get the use out of it. My theory goes that if the iPhone is our would slip in to your life and you browse/email extensively then this may well be for you.

Im still highly interested in how much eye strain will occour after extended reading on the ipad, does anyone have any honest feedback yet ?

Not felt any yet - and I have used it a lot. What makes you think it will strain?

If I was using one during a remote photo shoot how do I get get photos from the camera on it & can it handle RAW ?

From the iPad specs page: http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/ accessories info at the bottom

iPad Camera Connection Kit
The iPad Camera Connection Kit gives you two ways to import photos and videos from a digital camera: using your camera’s USB cable or directly from an SD card. iPad supports standard photo formats, including JPEG and RAW.

Fair one Darren. Although my minor gripe with one would be if they didnt have a good standby mode so no instant safari etc.

I never turn off my MBP so it is just sat there ready for instant Safari. I just close the lid and re-open it again. The Modbook should do the same.

Looks like I will probably get Mrs_C a new 13" Macbook pro and me a modbook but they will both have to wait as I want a 70-200 first......

Not felt any yet - and I have used it a lot. What makes you think it will strain?

Thinking more in terms of iBooks than net browsing, the backlit led as opposed to epaper is what I'm thinking, also can I put PDF, txt and other ebook files on it/export to iBooks? I know I guess I could export them as PDF but it's not same as in iBooks?

Ah fair enough. I have only read one ebook from kindle on it (iBooks not available in UK yet) and didn't notice any eye strain - was a normal sized book with full photos too. I think the big plus is the full coulour pictures that you couldn't get on paper as a tradeoff. Not sure on whether you will be able to include your own pdf's - my gut feeling is that you will but may have to fiddle with format extension like when importing own movies into iTunes.

From the iPad specs page: http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/ accessories info at the bottom

iPad Camera Connection Kit
The iPad Camera Connection Kit gives you two ways to import photos and videos from a digital camera: using your camera’s USB cable or directly from an SD card. iPad supports standard photo formats, including JPEG and RAW.

My god.........why O why did you post that link?!

I NEEEEEEEEEEED ONE NOW :razz: :D

Cheers Toph.

Definitely interested in that lil puppy! I wonder what camera's will be supported in the direct USB link....

EG - just found you can have a preloaded tartan cloth wallpaper!

SOLD to Inspire!

:) it is in the stars Gary. Inspire needs one. Business expense, VAT back. DONE (y)

:LOL: enuff said.

I can't wait for the UK release - the uk app store shall open and iBooks too.

I have finally hopefully managed to source a proper Apple case and hopefully it will arrive tomorrow so I will post back.

Also now got OS4 on iPhone - they reckon you can now use the Bluetooth keyboard with both phone and pad.

Email shall be swift!!

Guys.... probably will get shot here but I dont get the ipad thing.....

Laptop yes, Desktop yes, small laptop yes, tablet yes.... hell even the iphone ( spit ;) ) yes...... I'm just so not sure what the ipad is aiming for ?

Terran / Admittedly not a Apple fanboy

PS This is a genuine wonder not a Windows vs Apple wind up...... I'd say the same if it ran WM or Android

Last edited:
Terran - can see where you are coming from. It kind of defies logic in the 'fit in' sense. Just like the iPhone it has found its own niche. Everyone is different and I already know that it will be less widely loved and up took than the iPhone - but for me it is the universal instant full web browsing (at a useable size) and email. For Edinburgh G it sounds like he will mainly use for portfolio sharing and showing that Inspire is cutting edge and modern.

Everyone will find/not find their love and use for it. My advice is get hands on with one before making full judgement.

Guys.... probably will get shot here but I dont get the ipad thing.....

Laptop yes, Desktop yes, small laptop yes, tablet yes.... hell even the iphone ( spit ;) ) yes...... I'm just so not sure what the ipad is aiming for ?

Terran / Admittedly not a Apple fanboy

PS This is a genuine wonder not a Windows vs Apple wind up...... I'd say the same if it ran WM or Android

It's very, very pretty and has an apple logo on it. It is therefore a necessity :D

Edit: Oh and apparently you can use it for...............stuff?.........so I've heard at least :thinking: :D

lol - defo fan boys he he.....

May be its just me... I've always got access to the net be it my desktop, laptop, phone or TV.....

That been said showing photos is a good idea how ever..... 32gb ???? A bit limiting ??? May be you could use a flash presentation application to make it look nice.... oh wait :)

That been said - design wise I like and more so cos of Startrek.... and yes I have seen the Ipad LCARS skin he he.

Terran

Last edited:
It *optimises* (shrinks them to required size without hammering pixel rate) so you can fit loads onto a small amount of space and still get high enough res to zoom in etc.

LCARS sounds Very coolio!

I'm getting it so people can FAVE their images from the viewing. I dunno how yet, but I'll make it work...

G.

Had a play EG - you can select multiple photos to copy or email out. You could get them to select faves then just email or paste yourself the relevant ones?

I would have also thought they will bring in star ratigs etc as you will be able to import direct from camera.

Last edited:
Had a play EG - you can select multiple photos to copy or email out. You could get them to select faves then just email or paste yourself the relevant ones?

I would have also thought they will bring in star ratigs etc as you will be able to import direct from camera.

I wonder if you can directly change star ratings?

G.

I want an ipad but at £500 for the 16gb apple can F off lol. I'll wait till they are cheaper or improved!

Fair point. Not sure the 16 will be that much - £388 for the 16gb wifi and £500 for the 32gb version seems to be best guess at the mo.

Should hear in the next week or so as they are going on preorder for delivery late May.

Wooooot! My colleague who will be visiting from America has bought one on my behalf! Should have it on Wednesday :)

iPad Official Case Review

These are like the hens teeth to get hold of in the UK and some are paying £75+ for them! They are $39 in the apple store.

photo_2_2.JPG

photo_3_1.JPG

photo23.JPG

The case is made out of a rubbery/nylon composite. It feels fairly flimsy yet has a thicker cover to protect the screen. The case has slots to access all buttons and headphone socket.

My thoughts: It feels thin when you first put it on but you quickly realise that it will protect the pad in day to day use. I wouldnt trust it enough to just throw into the manbag without putting it in a neoprene pouch and this is where it lets me down. I was hoping for a more substantial case that would protect against shock - I could be wrong but I would not trust this in a rough environment. I think it was probably designed to keep it 'coffee table safe' rather than chuck in a bag along with keys etc safe.

That said - it does have its major plus point - it still looks cool and feels good to hold (much like the sony ebook covers) and I can confortably use it for browsing and reading. Less useful when emailing in portrait on lap.

Using it to angle the screen is the cases major strong point! It really makes it easier to use with the bluetooth keyboard for extended periods as it angles the pads screen. The screen cover has a 1 fifth to 4 fifths split that means you can fold over and tuck in to latch on reverse.

I have tried it briefly for watching a tv episode and I found you had to almost sit over it to get a good viewing angle - it was designed for use on planes and trains etc.

Overall a good case for use around the house - but not for slinging in a bag. That, however may change when I am more relaxed about keeping the pad pristine; but until then it shall be sleeping sweetly in its neoprene sleepingbag.

Two people at work have returned from the US with them, a 16Gb and a 64Gb one.

First impressions, heavier than you think, but not too heavy to be annoying. It's beautifully made and very tactile and certainly has that desirability about it.

The screen is fantastic and bright but only a 4x3 format, so films/videos etc get letterboxed. You notice how much quicker it is than an iphone. Typing on it was extremely quick and easy.

Sound output from the squeaker was minimal, I think my iphone has a louder noise. No case included so I'd be worried about how vulnerable it is. It has the standard connector but of course won't fit any standard docks due to the size.

Some apps are staring to appear which are designed for dual iphone/ipad format. Some of the built in apps have been redesigned to allow slightly more features due to the increased screen size, such as mail and maps.

I'd say it would be perfect for email, web browsing with it's instant on and ideal for displaying photo's.
There's no doubt it's a lovely bit of kit, but for me there's just something missing that I can't yet put my finger on that would justify me buying one over my laptop/photoframe as yet.

I was always saying that I wouldn't get one but I may end up getting one for photo viewing etc.

You are a git of the highest gadget aquisition order - can I play when I next see you? I did try to convince the wife that the 10 year wedding anniversary was in fact celebrated with an ipad rather than diamonds - she didn't believe me :-(

Back