iPhone 7

No one care about exploitation of the workers mining the carcinogenic heavy metals that go into these things?
Or the disposal of them when the reach end of life? (most of it still ends up in land-fill)

My third-hand Galaxy S4 is still doing me proud and with Cyanogenmod, it's snappier than the work issue S7 with it's fisher-price Samdroid OS.
I'd still be using my S3 if it hadn't met a terminal demise earlier in the year.

No one care about exploitation of the workers mining the carcinogenic heavy metals that go into these things?
Or the disposal of them when the reach end of life? (most of it still ends up in land-fill)

My third-hand Galaxy S4 is still doing me proud and with Cyanogenmod, it's snappier than the work issue S7 with it's fisher-price Samdroid OS.
I'd still be using my S3 if it hadn't met a terminal demise earlier in the year.
Nope. Can't say it keeps me awake. None of mine are in landfill. The original iPhone is still working and boxed with its charger. As are the subsequent models. They get passed on to my children and family to get good use out of them. Even got my Nokia matrix phone as well :)

Not really. I rarely worry about anything, hopefully I live longer that way.

Who doesn't sell or recycle their old phone anyway.
I don't. I've never sold or recycled my old phone. I've got them ALL.

Oops I'm lying; I returned my original Galaxy S, sold my HTC Desire HD, and will sell my Galaxy s7 edge once the iPhone arrives. No interest in keeping the android models.

Last edited:
Sold my old iPhone 4. Wish I'd kept it now as a music player for the car as the jvc head unit supports the old iPhone connector.

Sold my old iPhone 4. Wish I'd kept it now as a music player for the car as the jvc head unit supports the old iPhone connector.
I'm using mine as a remote trigger for my camera :)

Exploitation in iPhone Manufacture:
https://www.theguardian.com/technol...-chinese-factory-workers-suicides-humiliation
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/sep/05/workers-rights-flouted-apple-iphone-plant
http://www.zdnet.com/article/pegatron-is-exploiting-workers-making-apple-iphone-7s-in-china-report/
http://www.bbc.com/news/business-30532463

Exploitation in mining materials
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...eral-miners-Africa-use-bare-hands-coltan.html
http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/apple-samsung-and-sony-under-fire-over-child-miners-in-africa/

E-waste
http://www.andreweusebio.com/writingresearch/electronicwaste

In 2014 official figures showed there were more phones in use than people. In the world.

Most of them still end up landfill. 2/3 of the heavy metals in landfill are thought to come from electronic waste. It's cheaper to exploit children into mining the heavy metals than it is to extract them from these devices - especially as the dies have shrunk making it even more expensive to separate the materials and properly recycle them. Most "recycled" phones are refurbished and re-sold in third world markets. Even if they are recycled, it's exploited workers in developing countries recycling them in returned for health problems and reduced life expectancy.

Last edited:
You left out finishing with "won't you think of the children!!!"

images%2Farticle%2F2016%2F04%2F03%2F1123305.gif

:whistle:

Last edited:
One more for posterity:
https://www.dissentmagazine.org/article/beyond-conflict-minerals-the-congos-resource-curse-lives-on

I suppose it not in our back yard so it's someone elses problem.
Sof what equipment are you using to write all this? Or just any technology really ;) Bloody hypocritical if you ask me, and not unique to the iPhone. If anything it was Apple to exposed those bad conditions like many manufacturers have been doing when they use subcontractors in those countries. If you want to go on a crusade why not start with changing their culture ;)

Good use. My android phone works the diagnostics for my car, very handy at times, plus work the app for my chronograph for shooting.
The Mazda will do voice to message from an android, not from iPhone, but hasn't USB connectivity like an iPhone, I have to use Bluetooth and it hasn't the same controllability.
The Tvr jvc dvd unit has a great iPod/iPhone module with full control, I should have kept something for that, so now mostly use dab. Don't miss itunes though.

The upgrade process with all phones is b******t, slow incremental changes designed to drain our accounts. Things like curved screens, removing the headphone jack etc are just gimmicks to me. I killed my iPhone 5 a few months ago because the battery was dead, took the SE as it seemed the best thing I need out of a phone. Huge screens are pointless.

I just don't understand all the Apple v Android stuff. I never claim that the iPhone is better than its Android competitors. I buy it because I like it and it suits me. Last Android phone I had was an HTC Legend, and it was rubbish. Doesn't mean I think all Android phones are rubbish though. I think my daughter's Samsung Galaxy Edge is a gorgeous looking phone. It's just not for me.

I just don't understand all the Apple v Android stuff. I never claim that the iPhone is better than its Android competitors. I buy it because I like it and it suits me. Last Android phone I had was an HTC Legend, and it was rubbish. Doesn't mean I think all Android phones are rubbish though. I think my daughter's Samsung Galaxy Edge is a gorgeous looking phone. It's just not for me.
Likewise. I've got the current Edge just don't like Android and the lack of battery life eventhough it's a lot better than most. The camera is brilliant as well. I'm just not a fan of the OS. Can't wait to go back to iOS.

Sof what equipment are you using to write all this? Or just any technology really ;) Bloody hypocritical if you ask me, and not unique to the iPhone. If anything it was Apple to exposed those bad conditions like many manufacturers have been doing when they use subcontractors in those countries. If you want to go on a crusade why not start with changing their culture ;)

The change starts with the consumers. Pretending it's someone elses problem isn't going to improve the lives of those most adversely affected*. We are the ones flinging money at tax dodging multi-billion pound companies like Apple.

Oh and I'm writing this on a circa 2008 Acer Aspire One (ZG5).
My other laptop is a three year old Celeron-based Asus. Unfortunately the Acer didn't have enough desktop-real estate for the remote management I have to do.
I run two servers built from second-hand components - one with a tiny energy foot print, the other only switched-on during the back-up window, an hour each day.
My desktop was bought new in 2012 - the first time I've ever bought an expensive new computer. I'm sure it will still be serving me well in 2022.
Phone, as already mentioned is a recently acquired Galaxy S4. The S3 slipped off the mortal coil after a severe case of water ingress.
Car is 19 years old and well maintained. Although it's a bit of a gas guzzler, it's arguably less harmful to the environment than today's direct injection petrol engined vehicles which produce more harmful emissions in order to reduce their CO2 output.
I cycle as much as possible in order to keep the fuel burned to a minimum.

I'm doing what I can.

*Ironically, it's not just those in developing countries. There's a wide range of health conditions in 1st world countries attributed to our unsustainable consumption. For example (and most interestingly) are the two recent studies finding correlations between heavy metal content in the brain and early onset alzheimers.

The change starts with the consumers. Pretending it's someone elses problem isn't going to improve the lives of those most adversely affected*. We are the ones flinging money at tax dodging multi-billion pound companies like Apple.

Oh and I'm writing this on a circa 2008 Acer Aspire One (ZG5).
My other laptop is a three year old Celeron-based Asus. Unfortunately the Acer didn't have enough desktop-real estate for the remote management I have to do.
I run two servers built from second-hand components - one with a tiny energy foot print, the other only switched-on during the back-up window, an hour each day.
My desktop was bought new in 2012 - the first time I've ever bought an expensive new computer. I'm sure it will still be serving me well in 2022.
Phone, as already mentioned is a recently acquired Galaxy S4. The S3 slipped off the mortal coil after a severe case of water ingress.
Car is 19 years old and well maintained. Although it's a bit of a gas guzzler, it's arguably less harmful to the environment than today's direct injection petrol engined vehicles which produce more harmful emissions in order to reduce their CO2 output.
I cycle as much as possible in order to keep the fuel burned to a minimum.

I'm doing what I can.

*Ironically, it's not just those in developing countries. There's a wide range of health conditions in 1st world countries attributed to our unsustainable consumption. For example (and most interestingly) are the two recent studies finding correlations between heavy metal content in the brain and early onset alzheimers.
Well good luck with all the threads on here, the talk equipment section I can highly recommend with lots of threads to full your boots and spread your message.

Funny this how a thread about a new product launch attracts no end of people who have no intention to get it yet love posting all sorts of spoilers in it.

And no your aren't the only one.

Are you also vegan by any chance?

Would that make my comments in this thread any more/less relevant?

Well good luck with all the threads on here, the talk equipment section I can highly recommend with lots of threads to full your boots and spread your message.

Funny this how a thread about a new product launch attracts no end of people who have no intention to get it yet love posting all sorts of spoilers in it.

And no your aren't the only one.

It's not funny or surprising.

Apple forced the pace of mobile phone development. They have lead the way in exploiting markets, workforces and taxation regimes. They've heralded their green initiatives whilst they've actually fallen behind competition in making their devices environmentally friendly, at least until Greenpeaces' "Green Apple" initiative. They have deliberately obsoleted older generations of their products. It's important that the release of their latest flagship phone gets a balanced hearing.

And do you know what, I like to be the voice of reason. I've touched on this sort of thing before, whilst offering actually useful guidance and advice and even helping forumers resolve their IT problems off-line.

Last edited:

It's not funny or surprising.

Apple forced the pace of mobile phone development. They have lead the way in exploiting markets, workforces and taxation regimes. They've heralded their green initiatives whilst they've actually fallen behind competition in making their devices environmentally friendly, at least until Greenpeaces' "Green Apple" initiative. They have deliberately obsoleted older generations of their products. It's important that the release of their latest flagship phone gets a balanced hearing.

And do you know what, I like to be the voice of reason. I've touched on this sort of thing before, whilst offering actually useful guidance and advice and even helping forumers resolve their IT problems off-line.
Cool, you can compensate for me then :) I just bought a new Obsidian Black fast petrol car to match my wife's jet black iPhone. It's great and will keep things in balance. Yin yan and all that kind of stuff (y)

I'm using mine as a remote trigger for my camera :)

You reminded me I had an old ipad in the cupboard, hasn't been used in about a year or more as it cant upgrade, hence no apps work on it anymore as they all require later ios. Could use that as a music source I thought.
Damn thing wont charge :(

Perhaps leave it a while if it is fully depleted. The older iPads took ages to charge.

Different cable - it's charging slowly now :)
Had to hunt out all the old cables, got so many of the new ones as my wife never remembers to charge her phone,
Didn't realise we had so many, there's cables in all the cars, one in the study, one in the bedroom, a spare in the cupboard along with her kindle charger for holiday...

Trying to find the old flat ones amongst all those...

LOL Know the feeling :) Likewise with the chargers. And the old chargers are really slow on the new devices.

I use two of these now
http://www.tylt.com/charging-station/

Also take it with me on holiday. It is great for charging everything from our family in one go. It adapts it to the device and charges pretty quick. And I'll take the battery pack out as a backup. Also got one in the office but started charging £1 per charge to charity as everyone always came to my desk for a quick charge and I got fed up with being so popular :)

just would've made sense..

although on a serious note.. do you use any products that come from cows? isn't methane from cows one of if not the most polluting substance in the world right now? it'd be a bit hypocritical to slate apple consumers if you were a consumer of dairy/beef/leather products etc.

LOL Know the feeling :) Likewise with the chargers. And the old chargers are really slow on the new devices.

I use two of these now
http://www.tylt.com/charging-station/

Also take it with me on holiday. It is great for charging everything from our family in one go. It adapts it to the device and charges pretty quick. And I'll take the battery pack out as a backup. Also got one in the office but started charging £1 per charge to charity as everyone always came to my desk for a quick charge and I got fed up with being so popular :)

Thats a nicely designed product.
I've one of those 40-60amp lion battery car starters with every charging accessory under the sun. Works well for a rapid charge.
Ipads on the usual apple charger, I'll let it go slowly - 43%, just got to load itunes again -

just would've made sense..

although on a serious note.. do you use any products that come from cows? isn't methane from cows one of if not the most polluting substance in the world right now? it'd be a bit hypocritical to slate apple consumers if you were a consumer of dairy/beef/leather products etc.

Am I slating Apple consumers? I might be asking questions, making a few points and slating Apple themselves but I an trying not to slate any individuals, period.

I'd continue answering your points but I have a feeling it will just go on until you find a suitable cause for calling me hypocritical. Let's just say I'm not perfect, but ethical and environmental concerns are a consideration in most decisions I make. Could go much further but there are some lifestyle choices I'm not prepared to make. Veganism, for instance.

I was considering the Jet Black version of the 7 Plus until this...

haha that is so apple
spend a fortune on a finish and charge for it
then put it in a case to hide it and protect it.

doesnt make sense?

Am I slating Apple consumers? I might be asking questions, making a few points and slating Apple themselves but I an trying not to slate any individuals, period.

I'd continue answering your points but I have a feeling it will just go on until you find a suitable cause for calling me hypocritical. Let's just say I'm not perfect, but ethical and environmental concerns are a consideration in most decisions I make. Could go much further but there are some lifestyle choices I'm not prepared to make. Veganism, for instance.
I think it is an interesting topic deserving of its own thread. No need to pass on anyone's parade like you've done across several threads in the last 24 hours.

haha that is so apple
spend a fortune on a finish and charge for it
then put it in a case to hide it and protect it.

doesnt make sense?
I think it is more reflective of the large market share which now attracts let's say a certain group of clientele that doesn't appreciate what they've got. It's a shame that they've had to put out statements like that, common sense has totally gone out of the window.

I think it is an interesting topic deserving of its own thread. No need to pass on anyone's parade like you've done across several threads in the last 24 hours.

Now that remark is making it personal.
9 posts, 6 to this thread. All expressing legitimate opinions, not directed at any individuals*.

*I called out a statement there were not many RTAs given the number of vehicles on the road as bo**ocks. It was the statement of fact I was calling out, not the individual posting it.
Accident, injury and death rates are, despite year upon year improvements, still higher for motorised vehicles relative to any other mode of transport. I Admittedly, possibly overreacted to that one. In mitigation, given the injuries and down time I sustained as a result of a non-observant driver, it's a sore point. (Pardon the pun)

This is way off topic. If you have a problem with me and/or my posting then please do feel free to start a direct conversation with me. Or report my conduct to a moderator.

Now that remark is making it personal.
9 posts, 6 to this thread. All expressing legitimate opinions, not directed at any individuals*.

*I called out a statement there were not many RTAs given the number of vehicles on the road as bo**ocks. It was the statement of fact I was calling out, not the individual posting it.
Accident, injury and death rates are, despite year upon year improvements, still higher for motorised vehicles relative to any other mode of transport. I Admittedly, possibly overreacted to that one. In mitigation, given the injuries and down time I sustained as a result of a non-observant driver, it's a sore point. (Pardon the pun)

This is way off topic. If you have a problem with me and/or my posting then please do feel free to start a direct conversation with me. Or report my conduct to a moderator.
ROFLMAO Crying wolf now. Jeez what is wrong with you.

This is way off topic.
As @dejongj said, the conversation you're trying to have does deserve its own thread whereby participants will at least have voluntarily entered into it. You know it's a contentious topic, but it's not limited to just iPhones is it or is it your intention to bring up the wastefulness of society in every single thread discussing new equipment across the entire forum?

Yes you are right afasoas does have valid points about the way society is going now but as you say this thread isn't the place to discuss it
Would be a worthwhile discussion in a new thread :)

Yes you are right afasoas does have valid points about the way society is going now but as you say this thread isn't the place to discuss it
Would be a worthwhile discussion in a new thread :)
And I genuinely find it of interest. It worth while to think about things like that. But it is not just related to the iPhone and nothing personal either.

Lol, we haven't even mentioned apples tax affairs....
65 % charged on the old iPad... Music loaded and tested on the car. I think I can hide it under the front carpet along with the ecu. A use for an old apple product that is no longer supported :)

Back