Is it the 12 inches in front of, or behind the camera - challenge idea

I would post my pics.... But have been sent to Ireland on short notice on work and my photos are in Manchester being developed.... Not be back until weekend grrrr..

I finished mine yesterday and had it processed by Boots in an hour, just in time for me to catch my flight back to Saudi (y).

Now, to find a computer that has a CD drive in it, once that's sorted will post a few of what I took.

This was an excellent, and fun, exercise. Although I still kept looking at the back of the camera after each picture, hoping to check the histogram :bang:

Loved this challenge. C'mon guys the deadline is over, so lets see your results good or bad..

Edit: And don't give it the "I haven't had time" it only takes a sec to click the shutter..

Last edited:
Managed to use up the disposable today. Can't wait to see the results!

When I read people saying they were looking at the back of the camera after each shot I had a little smile and thought 'I won't do that'!

27 shots later, and I looked at the back of the camera at least 32 times! :nuts:

Well the first camera, (Rollei panoramic), I tried broke 1/4 way in so i got it deved anyway and all I can say is don't bother getting arty with these things! Out doors in bright sunshine using the flash as fill is about the only thing these are good for! The portraits I tried to shoot using my usual style all came out horribly underexposed and grainy as hell... but I will post them anyway. I have another couple of camera's which are both half way through so we will see...

Well, that was an experience :)

It's the not knowing that got me. I'm taking my film to Max S this week to get transfered to disk. I'll post a few then.... Eeeek.

Cheers.

Well it's off to Asda first thing in the morning to get a dev a CD. Once they have completed and I have collected, let the laughing commence!

Great fun challenge though.

need to find a scanner first - i forgot to specify on cd and have a bunch of not terribly good prints (including one of my feet, and an "arty" shot of a half full pint glass which i don't remember taking :bonk:)

Did you get one sorted? If you want to post them up I don't mind scanning them for you.

Actually managed to shoot the whole roll yesterday and today :) The entire week was either rubbish weather or I couldn't go anywhere. Was in Brighton for a Magnum event all weekend so I at least had some novel (for me) subject matter! Yesterday was foul weather and only chance I had was returning back to the hotel but it was sunset time so I'm assuming they'll all be underexposed and dark.... today was better. There was actual sunshine and nice blue sky. Didn't have much time though. It was a case of grabbing a few shots while walking to and fro from the venue.

It'll take at least a week to get them done as it is 3-5 day turn around.

Like Yv, I found mine to be extremely grainy (even for 400ASA film) and somewhat blunter (less sharp) than I'm used to but it was rather liberating to just take it out of my pocket, wind it on (only got 2 blanks where I wound it on before pocketing and shot the lining!) aim and shoot. Often not enough light (which explains the underexposure and some of the excessive grain) and I misjudged the parallax (which goes some way to explaining the poor framing which caused rejection of at least some of the shots!) rather too often. If I had time, I would get another and try to do better but the challenge is now over so I shan't! I think I still have a waterproof one (or even 2) in the cupboard so might take it on holiday and keep it in the car (the 50° in car temps when parked in the sun should improve it!) just in case I forget to take my Canon D10 to the beach!

Hardly surprising that my results were similar in grain etc to Yv's - the cameras were from the same pack!

ETA. BTW, D&P by Boots - £7.99 for 25 exposures, prints and a CD (1 hour service) - Jessops wanted £11 for the same service and their machine was too cold to run (at 12 noon!).

Last edited:
Just got mine done at jessops - £8, no prints CD only and the negatives left rolled.

Results - blimey 1970's dodgy images again, not sure if its the processing or camera bit I suspect the latter. Shame as it had the equivalent focal length of a 50mm lens on my 50D, but there's no vibrancy in what I took.
I'll get the pics up.

Taking mine to the lab to be developed tomorrow so should have the shots up by the end of the week. I took my Kodak disposable apart so all i had to take in was the 35mm canister, tested the shutter speed of the disposable, exactly 1/100th of a second, aperture around f/8 so if anyone gets loads of underexposed shots inside and overexposed outside that might be why.

With 400 film that's probably not a bad set up in good light, two or three stops out from the reality of sunny 16 in the uk (sunny 11) but well with in films dynamic range. In doors you'll need the flash!

Just back from Majorca, will get the beasties devved tomorrow.

sorry

Last edited:
sorry

Last edited:
Lots of chat, but not to much posting guys, get it up front please.:)

...and not much READING either! :LOL: :LOL: There is a separate thread for the pictures, where plenty have been posted already. Just scroll up the page, I have put the link in bloody great big capital letters (y) :D

Sorry

Last edited:
Sorry

Last edited:
...and not much READING either! :LOL: :LOL: There is a separate thread for the pictures, where plenty have been posted already. Just scroll up the page, I have put the link in bloody great big capital letters (y) :D

:wave: :naughty:

Based on the rule of thirds, and thinking of the results I got with my Boots disposables, I wonder if composing for these cameras should be based on the Rule of the Central Ninth? Something like:

Keep your main subject (middle distance) and all strong vertical lines, and the horizon if any, in or near the central ninth. The remaining 8/9ths can be used for leading lines and softer textual areas where the distortion and appalling focus will not show up so much.

Just uploading to Flickr. Haven't looked yet...eeekkkk

I'll upload to the sharing thread shortly.

Cheers.

Max bloody Spielmann...just looked at the photographs and was thinking, "Don't remember that!", "Don't remember that!", "Don't remember that!", "Where's the photographs of Isabelle and Jackie!"...realised the photographs on the disk aren't the ones on the film...they've someone elses :bat::bat::bat:

Was going to nip in tomorrow but they're closed.

Grrrrrr.

OMG....how bad are my shots !

Just in process of uploading them to flickr .

Think it goes to prove that yes the 12inches behind the camera is important...but also the camera needs to be capable.....:LOL:

Got mine back today...if I don't process them at all... There maybe one or two from the whole reel.... I didn't read the box properly ... So some are more than shocking... Dire ..maybe..we'll see..

Im annoyed with myself as I didnt get chance to get a camera for this! Maybe next time if the challenge arrises again.

I'm seriously considering running a similar challenge next June. If I do, it'll be strict NO PP, D&P on the high street and the lo-res files posted so no need to put them anywhere near PS or similar and home scanning not allowed! OK, people will be allowed to tweak them and home scan them but those images will not be eligible for any prizes. Yup, you read right, PRIZE(s)!!! Not sure what these will be - 2nd prize may be 2 dates with Cobra while 1st will be just the one! (Will have to clear that with Chris first though!!!) More likely to be a USB memory stick (universal and not camera/computer specific). Or maybe even a camera (old film compact!)

Heads up thread started, mainly just in case the things start getting sold out! 12" Redux.

So, I did actually take a roll! Not a complete one, only managed about 15 frames or so, but I still took them in the correct week! I'll get round to developing it asap. Had a manic few weeks :( There's no submission deadline or anything like that, right?

</brain=fried>

Only took a few, well about 15. Will use rest of film up before I get developed, and then post the best one or two up, if that's OK. (From the first 15 shots of course)

I'm seriously considering running a similar challenge next June. If I do, it'll be strict NO PP, D&P on the high street and the lo-res files posted so no need to put them anywhere near PS or similar and home scanning not allowed! OK, people will be allowed to tweak them and home scan them but those images will not be eligible for any prizes.

Maybe the prize should go to Mavis, the scan lady at Boots ??

That's the trouble with film, it doesn't go digital willingly, you've already disadvantaged it, halved its content, by scanning it, and then you tag team it with a ban on a sympathetic tweak.

I shoot slides usually but the chuckawaychallenge is colour neg so its not easy to process faithfully to the neg, however, the film is in date daylight balanced and if processed correctly I believe it would render a neutral tone regardless of what the scanner spits out.
The greens are nasty, not true to life or a representation of the scene, but that is a characteristics of the film and though I hate it, it wouldn't be right to change that.

Once you digitize your film frame, just like your frame from a digital camera, it seems to serve little purpose not to give it the basic once over.
But the basic once over means different things to different people..:shrug:
To do nothing seems extreme to me, to do more than WB, crop the crappy edges and level seems to be pushing it too far the other way, so........I dunno.

and thread stickied for a while (y)

Thanks, Yv. Only needs to be for a shortish while, just to let people know so they can tool themselves up! TBH, I'm not expecting a huge response - I reckon lots of people rely too heavily on PP skills - to not be allowed to use them may be too restrictive.

I think the reverse might make a good competition - can you polish a turd (not the best title but you get the idea ;) ) Take one single use camera and have free reign to do anything you like with it. Only caveat would be having to show the original and unaltered image to prove how bad it was to begin with. :D

John, where do you draw the line? It's possible (although a bit convoluted) to drop a DSLR image into a compact one and still have the EXIF read as the original compact shot.

My competition, my rules - don't like 'em? Nobody says you have to enter!

FTR, I rarely do anything to my photos between taking and printing. If framing is critical, I may crop to the exact print size but I genarally don't even do that! In the past, I've sharpened selectively and spent ages trying to get an image just right - now, I save ages by printing SOOC. Yes, I know the camera does some PP, especially with JPEGs (my preferred file format) but that's not eating into my time.

Last edited:
Suz, you want a competition like that, set it up!

(BTW, polished turds can be bought in many fossil shops - copralites!)

Might be an idea for everyone to have the same start material - give them all the same image and see whose ends up glossiest!

Last edited:
Suz, you want a competition like that, set it up!

(BTW, polished turds can be bought in many fossil shops - copralites!)

Might be an idea for everyone to have the same start material - give them all the same image and see whose ends up glossiest!

I must go to a fossil shop!!

I've got some absolute munters that could be ideal for this :D

I am loving the idea of doing it again Nod.

I enjoyed it this time round and the pics I submitted where straight from the camera to disc to upload on here, it really made me thing about things I have never had to think about before with my dslr, sounds silly I know but trying to get a great pic without cropping or tweaking was difficult for me.

spike

Back