Is it the 12 inches in front of, or behind the camera - challenge idea

Slimbert said:
Finally going to get out of the house today with the camera.....it's not going well so far!!! :crying:

Lucky you, I haven't managed to get out or take a single frame yet. :(

Sun is just coming out here going to have to get my arse outside and take a look at what I can take, this is more difficult than I expected.

Well I've started, but not very well. I took a couple of close ups of my kids playing yesterday and later remembered that the MFD was 1m :bang:

I've also found myself trying to roll on the film thinking that it was the rear control dial and that I was changing shutter speed :LOL:.

It is good fun though, quite looking forward to seeing how the ones I've taken so far come out.

Well I have managed several, with the advantage of being on holiday for a few days so have been out anyway and found stuff to point it at.

Mind you, on the way down here, we stopped very briefly at stone henge and just wandered along the fence to grab some pics with the disposable. There were several dslr users doing the same and making some very simple errors in their technique of trying to avoid the fence - but I couldn't bring myself to say anything nice to help them, I figured there was no way they were going to believe a woman who was waving a green throw away camera around and giggling a lot! :eek: :LOL:

I might be a bit stuffed, my ISO is 400 - look out for some well over exposure :LOL:

I might be a bit stuffed, my ISO is 400 - look out for some well over exposure :LOL:

Well seeing as you can overexpose negative film about 3 stops before it starts being a problem, I don't think there will be any trouble! :LOL:

Its underexposure where you have to be careful as it really crushes the blacks, increases grain and reduces dynamic range.

I have no idea what iso mine is. It doesn't say. Nothing about MFD either!

Yv said:
Well I have managed several, with the advantage of being on holiday for a few days so have been out anyway and found stuff to point it at.

Mind you, on the way down here, we stopped very briefly at stone henge and just wandered along the fence to grab some pics with the disposable. There were several dslr users doing the same and making some very simple errors in their technique of trying to avoid the fence - but I couldn't bring myself to say anything nice to help them, I figured there was no way they were going to believe a woman who was waving a green throw away camera around and giggling a lot! :eek: :LOL:

Would have loved to have seen that :LOL:

Well seeing as you can overexpose negative film about 3 stops before it starts being a problem, I don't think there will be any trouble! :LOL:

Its underexposure where you have to be careful as it really crushes the blacks, increases grain and reduces dynamic range.

(y) Thanks for that - I might just pop into town today and have a go, as it's a bit overcast. What's the betting I run into some one from the camera club I belong to :LOL:

I've not managed to get out yet either. Might be able to nip out at lunch tomorrow and get some stuff in London but if not, it's going to have to be at rugby on Saturday :LOL:

Only managed to get hold of a camera today...I thought it was a bit of a bargain to be honest Fujifilm waterproof camera 27 exposures for £4.99 was £7.49! Not bad I reckon!
Now to get some shots taken!!

how ironic... been keying myself up for this challenge and now i'm resorting to drive by snapping... no idea how they'll come out... genuine point and hope..i mean click camera

WOOHOO I had sunshine for about an hour this morning so managed to get the camera out of the car and get round the job I am working on and get some pics taken.

Finished one camera, will get it developed tomorrow but will not be able to post till Monday as away in UK for the weekend.

I was ill at the start of the week, then at worjing for the last three days, so ive got tomorrow to take some photos...
Curse your timing Yv ;-)

Who's judging? Will it be a poll with pics posted anaonymously or will it be up to an individual? IF the judge is Yv, I may take loads of shots of the cat - I know Yv likes cats and is rather fond of mine! (She and Yves keep trying to nick her!!!) Must try to finish the thing and get it D&Ped c/w CD, ready for sending in. Is there an entry instruction thread yet? Will it be "standard" forum sizes (800px longest side and ?KB file size?)

Got my first one back (Boots 400 ISO), and it's a bit weird. Some have come out quite well. At least 3 have got parts of fingers in the frame, but I can't really blame the camera for that. The exposure was quite reasonable, given absolutely no control at all. But focus... infinity appears to be more or less in focus in the centre, but laughably out of focus at the edges! Heavy vignetting as well. It's changed my mind about what sorts of things to try for. No more straight lines and hard edges! Unfortunately, I'd just finished the second one, and there's no time tomorrow for a third. :bang:

I'm definitely going to have to break the rules on the time limit for this, as I've only taken 8 frames so far, as I'm stuck in doors recovering after my knee op......will have it done by next weekend, plus another few days getting it developed!! (y)

Spent the day in London yesterday. Bright sunshine blue sky,s and just a hint of white wispy cloud :). Sending mine off for develop and scan on Monday should be posting some results by Thursday.(y)

well i got my film developed today and put onto disc.
still cannot see them as on a net book but will post some results tomorrow evening.

Are we starting a new thread for pics or just post in this one???

I too am gonna have to break the time limit on this....mare of a week at work left no time for togging , recovering & chilling today , only taken 3 shots with it last weekend as got carried away doing macro last weekend.

Sort of looking ofrward to seeing what everyone has come up with...much harder than I realised to find suitable subject matter!

Devved the film this afternoon - negs are hanging in dryer atm. Have about 8 completely underexposed frames though; tried the camera in a pool with the family but was clearly beyond the film's latitude. Others look interesting enough to be worth a scan!

Last edited:
To answer recent posts...

Timings.... Well as this is for fun, and we can't exactly check your exif.... go for it! :LOL:

Pictures.... I am about to start a thread in Photosharing - will add link to opening post when its up.

Judging - There isn't going to be a winner as such, its more about taking part, seeing what you can do, and then critiquing your own work and that of others, based on what you have found out yourself about taking photos this way. However, I am going to get a couple of non-participating mods & admin [haven't actually told them yet, this will be like army volunteers :D ] to look through the thread around the end of the month and comment on any they particularly like and perhaps allocate a few appropriate new user titles (y)

I have pretty much finished my one camera [the fancy crossbird one didnt arrive in time, though is waiting at the sorting office for me, so may yet see the light of day here] so it will be off for dev on Monday :help:

Time limits ??

how much pressure is that..??

if it doesn't happen for you early doors, you end up gunning it anyway, stuff the compo, stuff the light, just fire em off.....:LOL:

Been out and shooting today. The viewfinder is weird, very distorted, so I'll be really interested to see how things come out.

Byker28i said:
Been out and shooting today. The viewfinder is weird, very distorted, so I'll be really interested to see how things come out.

Th viewfinder on mine is so screwy, it makes no difference if I have my glasses on or not :D

Viewfinder? Oh, that might explain the lack of live view. :nuts:

need to find a scanner first - i forgot to specify on cd and have a bunch of not terribly good prints (including one of my feet, and an "arty" shot of a half full pint glass which i don't remember taking :bonk:)

Must remember to finish mine today. Been rather busy sorting HER yoga studio for new flooring (quieter for the offices below and more comfortable for the yogis and yoginis) and keep forgetting to lob it in a pocket. Probably out of time now but mine didn't arrive until Tuesday, so will assume it's acceptable to take a whole week to use it up! (Will check frame # and only use pics taken before the deadline! Probably!

Back