Is Wi-Fi calling any good ?

Caerus

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
Yes
No mobile phone reception in my house is killing me and im thinking of getting a contract that will enable me to use Wi-Fi calling.

I have a suitable phone and Wi-Fi but I wanted to find out from real users about their experience of taking and giving calls on it.

The websites and providers give a very rosy ideal view of it to get readers or customers but as we know things are never that simple lol.

I was in an old flat, and the only way I could get a call at all was wifi calling (on EE). I found it worked, and was 100% better than nothing.... actually it worked pretty well for me, and it was internally over a wifi powerline hotspot extender too.

I was in an old flat, and the only way I could get a call at all was wifi calling (on EE). I found it worked, and was 100% better than nothing.... actually it worked pretty well for me, and it was internally over a wifi powerline hotspot extender too.

Thank you

The mobile signal isn't great where I live either and I use wifi calling. It works really well and is a good solution.

The only problem i have had with it is when the mobile and wifi signals fight for the call. I think it is better now, but I used to get a lot of dropped calls and silences as the fight went on. If I know the other end has an Apple phone I prefer to use FaceTime audio

I'll also mention it was on an iphone, I don't know if android would be any different?

I'll also mention it was on an iphone, I don't know if android would be any different?

I have an iPhone SE which is listed on the Vodafone website as ok to use with wifi calling.

I quit Android after getting problems with several of them.

WiFi calling is why I just upgraded my iPhone to an 8. It works well for me now though it was hopeless on my old 5. I'm on the 3 network.

I have a rubbish signal where I live. I'm on Three and my house is less than a mile from Three's UK headquarters, and there are plenty of masts, but there's something a bit weird about the topology which means there's a tiny little black spot .. and my house is in it. So I use WiFi calling via Three's app and it's fine, on both my old phone (Samsung S6) and my new one (Xiaomi A2). I have a macro thingy on my phone to automatically enable the WiFi calling whenever it senses that I'm at my home location so I can't get caught out by it.

No mobile phone reception in my house is killing me and im thinking of getting a contract that will enable me to use Wi-Fi calling.

I have a suitable phone and Wi-Fi but I wanted to find out from real users about their experience of taking and giving calls on it.

The websites and providers give a very rosy ideal view of it to get readers or customers but as we know things are never that simple lol.

As long as your phone supports built in WiFicalling it works well, there are people who think using an app is the same (as technically it is a call over WiFi) but it’s pretty crap in comparison to native WiFicalling and why a lot of people still think it doesn’t work all that well.

I found it invaluable when we lived in a flat with lousy EE signal (it was excellent outside) and, using iPhones, found calls over wi-fi excellent with no issues.

I have a terrible signal in most places I go, so I use WiFi calling ninety percent of the time (even at home). It can drop in and out a bit at times, but then that's no different to the phone network anyway IME.

You just have to remember that if you're on a call in an area where there is a mobile signal, but you're using WiFi; when you move away from the WiFi source, the call will be dropped - it won't switch over to mobile automatically. At least mine doesn't anyway (I'm using Three).

but you're using WiFi; when you move away from the WiFi source, the call will be dropped - it won't switch over to mobile automatically. At least mine doesn't anyway (I'm using Three).

It will transfer over if you are in a VoLTE (4G Calling) capable area, the problem with Three is they don’t have much VoLTE operating over their standard 1800MHz 4G network yet. If you happen to be in a Supervoice area (what Three call their low frequency 800MHz coverage) it will switch over, as it will in the limited areas so far rolled out for VoLTE on 1800MHz.

EE for example, allows VoLTE on all frequencies so VoWiFi (WiFicalling) will always switch to VoLTE (4G Calling) if you’re on 4G.

Reactions: Sky
That's interesting info - thanks. :)

Hopefully by the time 5G is with us the Android makers (Apple have done a far better job of integrating it) and the networks will have got their act together and VoLTE and VoWiFi will just work as they should.

I quite often use wifi calling - on an iPhone 6. I don't pay extra for it, but I did have to ask O2 to enable it on my phone I think... was a long time ago now. I never had any problems with quality of calls.

I use Viber to call via Wifi or Data every day. Sometimes I also use Messenger or Whats App however they are all the same... They now just work fine.

No problem for me , I'm on 02 and wifi calling from my Mum's house which is in the middle of nowhere is spot on.

I use Viber to call via Wifi or Data every day. Sometimes I also use Messenger or Whats App however they are all the same... They now just work fine.

Though none of those are the WiFiCalling (VoWiFi) under discussion. Proper VoWiFi turns a wifi network into another network mast and allows normal calls and texts to be sent and received (unless you’re on Vodafone who screwed up the implementation and haven’t got texts working yet).

The difference between calling apps that use WiFi and VoWiFi is the fact other people (for example, your doctor or bank) can phone or text you on your mobile number while you’re using WiFi and have no other network signal available.

Though none of those are the WiFiCalling (VoWiFi) under discussion. Proper VoWiFi turns a wifi network into another network mast and allows normal calls and texts to be sent and received (unless you’re on Vodafone who screwed up the implementation and haven’t got texts working yet).

The difference between calling apps that use WiFi and VoWiFi is the fact other people (for example, your doctor or bank) can phone or text you on your mobile number while you’re using WiFi and have no other network signal available.
That's a good explanation.

Thanks guys, going to get it next month when my contract runs out and I can make a new contract

I am with vodafone and get little to no signal in the house. I did have a sure signal box but since upgrading I can now receive and make calls using wifi have no use for the sure signal any more. You can't really tell the difference except if you have a little bit of cellular reception that keeps dropping out, the call won't go from cellular to wifi, so you answer the call and it can still cut off.

Instead of putting the phone in the strongest cellular reception area in the house you need to use the weakest so it has to use wifi. There is no option to select on the phone.

T

This reminded me that I had had Three in Touch 'pushed' to me a good while ago. I ignored it at the time but thought I would now give it a go :)

I downloaded it from the Google Play Store and it installed AOK but would not activate, giving me an error code 0035

I phoned "3" and the call centre lady went through her checks (asking me some of the same questions more than once :( ) and then said she would pass me over the the "technical team".

After a shortish wait she came back and said "I am sorry but Three in Touch is no longer available", I said to her "what do you mean no longer available, do you mean it is available but no longer supported on my phone...." her reply was "the service has been removed...". I asked her why the Google Play Store still had it in the store ~ she said that they were in the process of removing it!

I forgot to tell her that on the "3" website Three in Touch is still mentioned including a link to the Store. She asked do I want to talk to 'Complaints or customer service', "I have spent enough time on this today but wonder what current users will say when the service is removed???"

So, a heads up to Three in Touch users........................how long will you still be able to use it!

So, a heads up to Three in Touch users........................how long will you still be able to use it!

That's what I've been using for the last few years - if they discontinue it, then they will lose a customer as their normal signal isn't strong enough where I am (despite their website saying it is).

That's what I've been using for the last few years - if they discontinue it, then they will lose a customer as their normal signal isn't strong enough where I am (despite their website saying it is).
Hopefully for current users it will carry on .........and she was just trying explain the continued availability of the App was being withdrawn.

But having said that, if that is the case then maybe 3 are hoping the App will whither on the vine (so to speak) as newer phones have WiFi Calling as natively built-in???

But having said that, if that is the case then maybe 3 are hoping the App will whither on the vine (so to speak) as newer phones have WiFi Calling as natively built-in???

That’s exactly what is happening, most (all?) the new phones they now sell are “supervoice” (what Three call VoLTE/VoWiFi) capable.

This reminded me that I had had Three in Touch 'pushed' to me a good while ago. I ignored it at the time but thought I would now give it a go :)

I downloaded it from the Google Play Store and it installed AOK but would not activate, giving me an error code 0035

I phoned "3" and the call centre lady went through her checks (asking me some of the same questions more than once :( ) and then said she would pass me over the the "technical team".

After a shortish wait she came back and said "I am sorry but Three in Touch is no longer available", I said to her "what do you mean no longer available, do you mean it is available but no longer supported on my phone...." her reply was "the service has been removed...". I asked her why the Google Play Store still had it in the store ~ she said that they were in the process of removing it!

I forgot to tell her that on the "3" website Three in Touch is still mentioned including a link to the Store. She asked do I want to talk to 'Complaints or customer service', "I have spent enough time on this today but wonder what current users will say when the service is removed???"

Three haven’t updated the inTouch app since 2016, they haven’t really cared about it for years.

After a shortish wait she came back and said "I am sorry but Three in Touch is no longer available", I said to her "what do you mean no longer available, do you mean it is available but no longer supported on my phone...." her reply was "the service has been removed...".
I got a new phone less than 2 weeks ago. Installed Three In Touch, it worked first time, no issues.

A few years ago I moved to virgin mobile for their wifi calling app, they promptly discontinued it.

I got a new phone less than 2 weeks ago. Installed Three In Touch, it worked first time, no issues.
Hi Stewart @StewartR

Seeing your post I started again > it installed OK and connected OK but a dialogue box came up telling me that they are making network changes, from 15th May 2019 the app will no longer be supported! There was a web link to here about it

http://support.three.co.uk/SRVS/CGI...cat=signal,varset_subcat=3804,Case=obj(41576)

As it is going so soon I won't bother now but that looks like the end of the App

So her information was correct and my "reading" of it about as close as it gets ;)

PS with dual SIMs there are not many situations where I don't get a signal........but the few times c'est la vie!

Last edited:
... a dialogue box came up telling me that they are making network changes, from 15th May 2019 the app will no longer be supported! There was a web link to here about it

http://support.three.co.uk/SRVS/CGI...cat=signal,varset_subcat=3804,Case=obj(41576)
Thanks Laurence @Box Brownie .

Oh great. I installed Three In Touch less than 2 weeks ago, and there was no such notification then.

It seems that Three are rolling out some sort of VoLTE service. They call it "4G Super-Voice". However it looks like their implementation of VoLTE has some proprietary features, because it's only available on iPhones, or on Android phones which were bought directly from them. If you have an Android phone which you didn't buy from Three - as I have - and you live in a signal black spot - as I do - then it seems that you're stuffed:

1556198765351.png

Thanks Laurence @Box Brownie .

Oh great. I installed Three In Touch less than 2 weeks ago, and there was no such notification then.

It seems that Three are rolling out some sort of VoLTE service. They call it "4G Super-Voice". However it looks like their implementation of VoLTE has some proprietary features, because it's only available on iPhones, or on Android phones which were bought directly from them. If you have an Android phone which you didn't buy from Three - as I have - and you live in a signal black spot - as I do - then it seems that you're stuffed:

View attachment 243374

Sorry to have been the bearer of bad news.

Yes, the way I read it is that 3 are abandoning the In Touch App in favour of the uplift in new handsets with WiFi calling builtin...........................and yes only linked to their 3 shop models. I wonder if VoLTE 'technology' is network agnostic and once a contract is up the phone can be unlocked and used on other VoLTE enabled networks???

Like you I have an unlocked Android phone using PAYG and I have been content to stick with that. I like the 3 PAYG tarrif and that credit never runs outs if not used that much, plus getting the dual SIM Moto G5 was beneficial and I would not want to go back to a single SIM again. If anything I would look for a higher spec dual SIM at some stage in future.

Supervoice has already had its 3rd birthday, it launched in September 2015 ;)

There are plenty of Android phones that will work with Supervoice that weren’t bought direct these days.

From memory all Huawei/Honor, some OnePlus, most Xiaomi and most newish Samsung’s will work even with unbranded firmware.

Last edited:
Supervoice has already had its 3rd birthday, it launched in September 2015 ;)

There are plenty of Android phones that will work with Supervoice that weren’t bought direct these days.

From memory all Huawei/Honor, some OnePlus, most Xiaomi and most newish Samsung’s will work even with unbranded firmware.
That's useful to know @Dave1 , thanks very much. I have a brand new Xiaomi, so hopefully it will work. Is there any way of finding out or testing it? (Other than asking Three.)

That's useful to know @Dave1 , thanks very much. I have a brand new Xiaomi, so hopefully it will work. Is there any way of finding out or testing it? (Other than asking Three.)

It should just work though I can’t remember if there is a VoLTE toggle in the call or phone settings.

It should look like this if VoLTE is active (though will only show in poor signal areas):

16C3370A-0C69-40FD-A686-440C23E71FC9.jpeg

Last edited:

I've just had a notification from Three saying that it is now no longer supported. :(

It's still working at least, but I suppose it's time I looked for a new phone and contract . . .

Well, this is my status at home. Whether or not my phone can actually do VoLTE seems to be a bit academic....

Screenshot_20190426-212534~2.jpeg

I think I'll have to start looking for a new contract with a different network.....

Last edited:
Well, this is my status at home. Whether or not my phone can actually do VoLTE seems to be a bit academic....

View attachment 243517

I think I'll have to start looking for a new contract with a different network.....

VoLTE actually adds an extra frequency to the spectrum, only VoLTE enabled phones can use this low frequency 800MHz band, this gives much greater distance from a cell site and greater in-building penetration when compared to the standard 1800MHz Three operate their 4G on.

It extends so much further in many areas that it can be the only coverage available, if they allowed non-VoLTE phones to use it they wouldn’t have any 3G to drop down to in order to make calls, hence why VoLTE only is allowed to connect.

Your image doesn’t look like Xiaomi icons though...

Your other option would be to get a phone with universal settings installed, one of the best value for money is the Huawei Honor 10 Lite, currently £169 at Argos or John Lewis and will do both VoLTE and WiFiCalling straight out the box. I used one for a while and it’s an excellent phone.

Last edited:
Your image doesn’t look like Xiaomi icons though...
Probably because my Xiaomi is running Android One, version 9 (Pie) so these will be vanilla Android Pie icons. My wife has a Xiaomi which runs the Xiaomi UI (MiUI), and her icons look different.

Back