Isolation: Any Gamers? Even Old Ones?

I only got the small gun and she can just do a shove that's not very effective in that area as there's a bunch of enemies and one is like a mini boss. He has a machine gun and much higher health than the others. I'll try it again, but it's frustrating because when you die it has to load the area again

A bit late, but if your still playing this and getting killed all the time. Goto into settings, then difficulty, you can set it to invincible at the bits you get stuck at, then turn it off.

A bit late, but if your still playing this and getting killed all the time. Goto into settings, then difficulty, you can set it to invincible at the bits you get stuck at, then turn it off.

I still have it installed, not played since though, I don't like to 'cheat' normally but y'know I might just try this to swing by that section :)

For any Arcade racers out there, both Dirt 5 and Wreckfest are available on XBGP for PC

Dirt 5 is certainly very pretty, and even my humble GTX1660 can run it Ultra 1080p at decent frame rates, Wreckfest isn't a bad looker not near as polished but might just be the more fun game. Dirt 5 is nothing like it's older siblings, races are fast, furios and very forgiving at least to start with so don't go in thinking it'll make you nostalgic for the old Colin McRae Rally days in any way but it's fun for short term. I've only done a few races but the cars to that point feel very 'light' - with Wreckfest you feel much more connected to the ground [when you can stay on it :D ] - again though, only had a few quick races on that one too. Just installed and tested both to see what's what

Last edited:
For any Arcade racers out there, both Dirt 5 and Wreckfest are available on XBGP for PC

Yes, I've had a brief play with Wreckfest and it's all kinds of silly fun. Racing a motorised sofa on a figure of 8 track is about as ridiculous as you'd expect. I'm terrible at driving games but I find I can drive better on loose surfaces than tarmac - just use the throttle to steer :)

Also had a quick look at Control. It's.......very very odd. Can't quite get used to the 3rd person perspective and combat will take a little practice but it feels like one I'll persevere with.

Spending far too much time on Valheim at the minute. Really sucks up your time, which is a good thing.

Yes, I've had a brief play with Wreckfest and it's all kinds of silly fun. Racing a motorised sofa on a figure of 8 track is about as ridiculous as you'd expect. I'm terrible at driving games but I find I can drive better on loose surfaces than tarmac - just use the throttle to steer :)

Also had a quick look at Control. It's.......very very odd. Can't quite get used to the 3rd person perspective and combat will take a little practice but it feels like one I'll persevere with.

I grabbed Control the other week and found it a bit tricky, there's a section where you have to enter a room with 4-5 machine gun touting enemies and every time I tried the last guy [some kind of mini boss I think] gets me, the camera goes all over the place and good 'control' you do not have in the situation! I meant to get back to it but feels too much of a chore, thanks for the reminder to uninstall :D

I'm same with driving, not clinical in any way, I love a good thrash-fest, destruction derby style - and that's how I see Wreckfest, it's like a modern day DD [one of the first games I ever played on the original Playstation] - but even straight forward racing on whatever surface I much prefer games like Forza or NFS over say more sim types like Project Racing or Assetto Corsa, they would just bore me to tears. I'm not one for manual gears or sterring wheels, I will switch off most assists though, won't have brake lines tell me where to go!! :ROFLMAO: but yeah, good looking backdrops and cars, bit of atmosphere, pump them tunes [prefer rock to techno] good car sounds, want to almost smell the petrol! and fast paced bang and muscle your way through to 1st occasionally does the trick.

Spending far too much time on Valheim at the minute. Really sucks up your time, which is a good thing.

I see a lot of streamers playing that one, haven't really gotten the full jist, seems like a game that eventually pushes you to multi-player though? I much prefer SP games if I'm honest, I often play Vs people online but having to schedule meet ups and organise teams and the like is just in the past for me these days

I see a lot of streamers playing that one, haven't really gotten the full jist, seems like a game that eventually pushes you to multi-player though? I much prefer SP games if I'm honest, I often play Vs people online but having to schedule meet ups and organise teams and the like is just in the past for me these days
I'm playing it solo.

I'm playing it solo.

Well, how would you describe it? I mean I can go check reviews but any I've seen so far keep recomending to play with others, rather hear a solo player perspective

Was shopping in Tesco’s the other day and they had XBox Series Ss in stock so couldn’t resist grabbing one. Bit like a kid in a sweet shop at the minute with all the stuff on Gamepass. Finished Doom Eternal yesterday, a really enjoyable, intense shooter. Playing The Medium now - very spooky and atmospheric. Will maybe upgrade to the Series X later in the year when secondhand disc games start filling the shelves at CEX. The S and Gamepass will do me fine at the minute though.

Well, how would you describe it? I mean I can go check reviews but any I've seen so far keep recomending to play with others, rather hear a solo player perspective
It's a bit like mine craft at its most basic. But more of an actual game, basically spend my time crafting better weapons and armour and plucking up the courage to take on the next boss and harder areas.
For £15 it's a bargain I reckon I easily have 80 hours on it so far and barely scratched the surface.
One of those games you just want to play 5 more minutes, and 5 minutes turns into hours.

It's maybe a bit similar to No man's sky, but simpler and keeps you entertained.

Last edited:
Was shopping in Tesco’s the other day and they had XBox Series Ss in stock so couldn’t resist grabbing one. Bit like a kid in a sweet shop at the minute with all the stuff on Gamepass. Finished Doom Eternal yesterday, a really enjoyable, intense shooter. Playing The Medium now - very spooky and atmospheric. Will maybe upgrade to the Series X later in the year when secondhand disc games start filling the shelves at CEX. The S and Gamepass will do me fine at the minute though.

I've been tempted to get similar, now that prices have dropped on 'last gen' and I haven't yet really seen anything majorly different between the Series X or Ps5 and XB1X/S or PS4 to be quite honest. I feel like my bog standard PC Gpu could stand up to any of them atm because the devs just haven't really gotten fully to grips with the advanced tech yet. I miss just lounging on the sofa playing games with the family for kicks, on the PC it's much more a solo affair [which 90% of the time I do not mind at all, it's my escape :D ] but ... for that 10% of time, for fun ... must check prices

It's a bit like mine craft at its most basic. But more of an actual game, basically spend my time crafting better weapons and armour and plucking up the courage to take on the next boss and harder areas.
For £15 it's a bargain I reckon I easily have 80 hours on it so far and barely scratched the surface.
One of those games you just want to play 5 more minutes, and 5 minutes turns into hours.

It's maybe a bit similar to No man's sky, but simpler and keeps you entertained.

That actually sounds dangerously like my ideal type thing .... I remember spending hundreds of hours in Skyrim JUST enchanting armor and weapons, so much too and fro'ing, repeating certain tasks, reloading, spending hours speeding time up etc ... just so I could get 100 stealth so that I could advance to 100 alchemy etc ... dang that brings me back [Skyrim is the last game I really put time into before my 4-5 yr gaming drought ... that's been replaced by The Witcher 3 just last year ... thank pandemic (y) ] But, now that I'm due back to work in a couple weeks not sure I should go for something that in depth :O I'll have a peek at some vids though, cheers :)

I was a huge fan of Flatout series, Wreckfest is said to be spiritual successor and it certainly plays like it, it's a good laugh and every time the track crosses is unpredictable mayhem. Hellride is my favourite track.

In similar fashion, Project Wingman is said to be inspired by Ace Combat. I've only played the first mission and it does feels like it.

Sounds similar to World War Z with its Horde mode. Very repetitive but also addictive to grind your way up the classes and weapons.

Hmmm, I must be doing something wrong with Dirt 5.

It takes several attempts to launch (once it hung and reported driver errors, a couple of times it just put itself half off my screen so I can't see enough of the EULA to find the accept button).

When it will run, the car accelerates v-e-r-y slowly to about 30mph and then won't go any faster. Tried switching to manual gear box and it's better but then I have to change gears..... Also, once you start a race, you can't exit it until you finish. That takes a long time at 30mph max....

So far, a horrible UX. Glad I didn't pay for it :) Any clues on what I'm doing wrong?

----
Machine *should* be powerful enough to run. It runs CP2077 fine and has no trouble with Gears 5.

Hmmm, I must be doing something wrong with Dirt 5.

It takes several attempts to launch (once it hung and reported driver errors, a couple of times it just put itself half off my screen so I can't see enough of the EULA to find the accept button).

When it will run, the car accelerates v-e-r-y slowly to about 30mph and then won't go any faster. Tried switching to manual gear box and it's better but then I have to change gears..... Also, once you start a race, you can't exit it until you finish. That takes a long time at 30mph max....

So far, a horrible UX. Glad I didn't pay for it :) Any clues on what I'm doing wrong?

----
Machine *should* be powerful enough to run. It runs CP2077 fine and has no trouble with Gears 5.

You're not alone with issues, I didn't experience any in game once I got it going but, when I installed the game wouldn't open, had to reboot and even then it wouldn't boot until i figured I'll try 'allow as Admin' - never have to do this for any other game. Then I was forced to go through scrolling through agreements, again never seen this with other games, think 3-4 pages of scrolling and accepting - then I decide to run their benchmark - ran fine, but I wasn't allowed to quit once I was happy, it had to go through a full race as I just sat there .... after that though the game ran fine, though I have only tried it the once. i don't think it's one I would commit to either way, might give it another try but I think Wreckfest is much more likely to have longevity - when I installed both that's what I had in mind, it's one or other will take up my time, not both. Dirt is certainly prettier but the driving, fun and variety is with WF

You're not alone with issues, I didn't experience any in game once I got it going but, when I installed the game wouldn't open, had to reboot and even then it wouldn't boot until i figured I'll try 'allow as Admin' - never have to do this for any other game. Then I was forced to go through scrolling through agreements, again never seen this with other games, think 3-4 pages of scrolling and accepting - then I decide to run their benchmark - ran fine, but I wasn't allowed to quit once I was happy, it had to go through a full race as I just sat there .... after that though the game ran fine, though I have only tried it the once. i don't think it's one I would commit to either way, might give it another try but I think Wreckfest is much more likely to have longevity - when I installed both that's what I had in mind, it's one or other will take up my time, not both. Dirt is certainly prettier but the driving, fun and variety is with WF

Ah, I think I'll just uninstall and stick with Wreckfest :) Glad I didn't pay for Dirt.

Speaking of which....I just tried to sign up for Playstation Now to see how it runs on my machine. 38 attempts to activate a free trial and after looking at 17 different ways that PS display the same information, I think I'll stick with Game Pass :) It may have fewer games and requires better hardware but at least it works.....

OK, I persevered with PlaystationNow It's the most baffling experience ever.

A staggering catalogue of around 800 games - many top end ones from a year or two ago (Detroit Become Human, Control, Horizon Zero Dawn). And the most pitiful interface ever created by a games company ever.

psn.jpg

(Those black squares never go away - there are games under them but the only way to find out what game is to click them. Also, the tiles can't be resized - that's full screen on a 32 inch 4k monitor. 15 games max.) There is no search. I'll say that again, 800 games and no way of searching for the one you want.....

Games either play absolutely perfectly (many look like 4k to my untutored eye and over my fibre are as responsive as on hard drive) and although they take a minute of so to launch, that compares well with a 40 mins download. Or.....they just refuse to work and no amount of clicking, rebooting, reinstalling will make them work until magically they start working again (I'm guessing a PSN server error)

My XBox controller works well with them (far better than all the dire warning from Sony) until.....it doesn't. I was loving Detroit Turn Human until a bit in the tutorial where I needed to press R2. No amount of pressing would move on so I had to end the game. There's also no way past this bit. Other games seem to deliberately demand the Dual Shock just to make you buy one. Heavy Rain won't let you proceed through a section until you've shaken the controller. One decent shooter I was playing mysteriously mapped controls to the touch pad when they would be far better on the Dpad. Maybe it's a deal with Sony to make people think their controllers are essential.

So....a mixed bag. Beautiful playable games - except when they aren't. Almost certainly has the game you want but you may never find it. A bargain at 50 quid a year but not so much if you have to spend 45 quid on another controller.

Resident Evil 7 Biohazard is fun, all the lights out and headphones on make it a good game.

I played the first 30 mins or so of this and liked it, keep meaning to get back to it, creepy AF - how I like it :D

OK, I persevered with PlaystationNow It's the most baffling experience ever.

A staggering catalogue of around 800 games - many top end ones from a year or two ago (Detroit Become Human, Control, Horizon Zero Dawn). And the most pitiful interface ever created by a games company ever.

View attachment 310689

(Those black squares never go away - there are games under them but the only way to find out what game is to click them. Also, the tiles can't be resized - that's full screen on a 32 inch 4k monitor. 15 games max.) There is no search. I'll say that again, 800 games and no way of searching for the one you want.....

Games either play absolutely perfectly (many look like 4k to my untutored eye and over my fibre are as responsive as on hard drive) and although they take a minute of so to launch, that compares well with a 40 mins download. Or.....they just refuse to work and no amount of clicking, rebooting, reinstalling will make them work until magically they start working again (I'm guessing a PSN server error)

My XBox controller works well with them (far better than all the dire warning from Sony) until.....it doesn't. I was loving Detroit Turn Human until a bit in the tutorial where I needed to press R2. No amount of pressing would move on so I had to end the game. There's also no way past this bit. Other games seem to deliberately demand the Dual Shock just to make you buy one. Heavy Rain won't let you proceed through a section until you've shaken the controller. One decent shooter I was playing mysteriously mapped controls to the touch pad when they would be far better on the Dpad. Maybe it's a deal with Sony to make people think their controllers are essential.

So....a mixed bag. Beautiful playable games - except when they aren't. Almost certainly has the game you want but you may never find it. A bargain at 50 quid a year but not so much if you have to spend 45 quid on another controller.

That looks a hot mess, just stick to Xbox game pass for PC and xbox since you seem to have one too?

Playing Elder Scrolls Online for a while now have long ago finished the main single player game but the group PVE content is amazing
I started a 12 person team to do trials (like raids in wow ) more than a year ago we are still going, more a social thing but we have started completing some of the more difficult content

Playing Elder Scrolls Online for a while now have long ago finished the main single player game but the group PVE content is amazing
I started a 12 person team to do trials (like raids in wow ) more than a year ago we are still going, more a social thing but we have started completing some of the more difficult content
Keep meaning to give this a proper go, sure I have it on PS4.

It’s worth joining one of the in game guilds if you want to do the social side
I don't like multiplayer games, only ever solo games.

I'm a big console gamer and currently have a PS5 and Switch Lite.

I mainly play Gran Turismo Sport and Minecraft, I've lost count the number of hours I've sunk into them!

That looks a hot mess, just stick to Xbox game pass for PC and xbox since you seem to have one too?

Yeah exactly. I took a 3 month trial of Game Pass for £1 and a 7 day trial of PSNow for free. PSNow *looks* like really good value with 800 games for £50 a year and running without using your hardware. But Game Pass actually *is* good value :) I know which I'll stick with.

You might like this tip I discovered yesterday.....as you know the *only* expansion hard drive you can play games from is the very expensive Seagate. Yesterday, I plugged a SanDisk extreme drive in the front of a Series X and......it works perfectly. (I used the cable that came with the drive - another one didn't work at all) I can move games from the main drive to it and they run perfectly. Load times are almost certainly slower but a SanDisk is much cheaper than a Seagate.

This exact drive

SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD 500GB up to 550MB/s read: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

There's one for a little more that's twice as fast. I bet that works too.

Finished The Medium. Very good game, slow paced and atmospheric. Playing Control now. Finished the main story and currently doing all the side missions. Quite a head-f*** of a game and visually pretty impressive. Really good game.

Been having some good ol' Tekken 7 and Soul Calibur 6 sessions with the kids in our lockdown evening boredom, not played much else tbh bar my usual few games of Hearthstone Battlegrounds

Still have a bunch of games I need get back to, like The Witcher 3 expansions, Ori and the will of the whisps and still have yet to give Wreckfest a proper session

Anyone know when the EA Pass is coming to XBGP? I see it's on steam but it's 3.99 p.m, afaik it'll be included in your PC game pass

Been having some good ol' Tekken 7 and Soul Calibur 6 sessions with the kids in our lockdown evening boredom, not played much else tbh bar my usual few games of Hearthstone Battlegrounds

Still have a bunch of games I need get back to, like The Witcher 3 expansions, Ori and the will of the whisps and still have yet to give Wreckfest a proper session

Anyone know when the EA Pass is coming to XBGP? I see it's on steam but it's 3.99 p.m, afaik it'll be included in your PC game pass

I got an updated version of Street Fighter to play with my son, certainly brought back some memories! Was going to try Mortal Kombat as well, but for some reason I thought you could turn the gore off, but you can't. So that was a bust.

When I have the time we now play things like Minecraft Dungeons. He's up in his room on the Xbox and I'm a floor down on the PC (cross platform). He's got his headset and I've got a desk mic hooked up as we chat. It feels ridiculous though being so close yet feeling so far away from each other lol

I got an updated version of Street Fighter to play with my son, certainly brought back some memories! Was going to try Mortal Kombat as well, but for some reason I thought you could turn the gore off, but you can't. So that was a bust.

When I have the time we now play things like Minecraft Dungeons. He's up in his room on the Xbox and I'm a floor down on the PC (cross platform). He's got his headset and I've got a desk mic hooked up as we chat. It feels ridiculous though being so close yet feeling so far away from each other lol

I was a big SF fan in the arcades as a kid, used to enter tournies for pocket money [almost always got to the semi's, there was 2 kids always there that were just wizards!] I think it's harder pick up than some others [same with MK] and I know my girls would just get frustrated because, well ... can't be going easy on them! ;)

Have a look at Tekken, it's very kid friendly I'd say, more cartoon violence, it's also one that's always been easy to just pick up and play - one of my daughters is a proper button masher and still manages to win sometimes :ROFLMAO: When I was younger and was playing Tekken 1 -3 I used to even get my Dad to play :D Told him I was playing 7 with the girls and he goes Ah! I remember Jack, Nina, Yoshimitsu [he's 71 now, Tekken 1 was 26yrs ago and he remembered without any prompt!] Tekken 7 has Akuma from SF and the moves are much the same for his fireball and spinning kicks [may need to unlock him can't remember but he's in there] - it's a good looking game too, big characters that fill your screen, 3D backdrops, lots of special FX. Looks great on a large TV. Unfortunately it's not on XBGP but I got it for €8 or something like that on one of those CDkey sites for Steam.

When my other [more gamer girl] daughter was younger I bought her Minecraft for the 360, played it loads with her , we'd just try out build one another, came up with right mad Mansions, churches etc ... kinda sad she went off of it years back [she's 13 now and plays mostly Roblux or Among us with her mates] - Cherish the times that he will still play games with you without being bribed! :) I actually bring my PC into the other room with the big TV for us to play, make a proper session of it - we'll throw on the odd platformer or racing game too, loads of snacks and drinks, like the good ol' days 'cept we can't have people round to join in atm :/

Last edited:
You might like this tip I discovered yesterday.....as you know the *only* expansion hard drive you can play games from is the very expensive Seagate. Yesterday, I plugged a SanDisk extreme drive in the front of a Series X and......it works perfectly. (I used the cable that came with the drive - another one didn't work at all) I can move games from the main drive to it and they run perfectly. Load times are almost certainly slower but a SanDisk is much cheaper than a Seagate.

This exact drive

SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD 500GB up to 550MB/s read: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

There's one for a little more that's twice as fast. I bet that works too.

UPDATE: wow - it looks like Microsoft have actually thought about this.....s/X Series games "need" the speed of the internal drive, "legacy" games don't. So I can move anything to the SSD. Dishonored 2 and Bridge Portal Constructor run perfectly. CoD (Crossgen) has a strange sort of symbol over the icon in the top right and won't launch. Move it back to internal (which takes c 10 mins) and it runs fine.

Word on the street is that this may get announced today. The other rumour is you'll need Ultimate to get EA games - don't know if that's true but it seems plausible to me.

Word on the street is that this may get announced today. The other rumour is you'll need Ultimate to get EA games - don't know if that's true but it seems plausible to me.

I saw some promo for it that seemed to suggest you get it with pc pass, ultimate is useless for anyone with no Xbox so they'd be cutting off the PC only gamers completely going that route. I reckon it's ultimate for anyone wanting to play across both systems. I'm not that fussed either way, can't think of many ea games I'd be dying to play

I saw some promo for it that seemed to suggest you get it with pc pass, ultimate is useless for anyone with no Xbox so they'd be cutting off the PC only gamers completely going that route. I reckon it's ultimate for anyone wanting to play across both systems. I'm not that fussed either way, can't think of many ea games I'd be dying to play

Or.... It's an extra £3 a month for pc players to get an ea subscription.

I suspect they may have a plan to end everything that isn't ultimate when they have migrated enough people.

Or.... It's an extra £3 a month for pc players to get an ea subscription.

I suspect they may have a plan to end everything that isn't ultimate when they have migrated enough people.

Here's what I saw: https://www.xbox.com/en-IE/games/ea-play

Scroll down to the plan options, I'm already on the middle green one, looks to me like it'll be included in that sub, or you can get the EA pass stand alone for €3.99, which would be for those not on game pass for pc who might only want to try the EA option

Last edited:
Back