weekly Jakeblu's 52 for 2016 Week 16 Vast added

Steve, liking yourTopical image, certainly on theme and different than all the other images, Colours are good and sharp too.

Last edited:
Topical, yep that works Steve, (y)
You could even post it again for this week's theme :D

Hi Steve, perfectly topical - well done :) I didn't like the theme and you've cleverly chosen a nice subject to make it a lot more interesting! Very full dynamic range in your image, which is nice, although the DOF and lighting means the nearest daf loses a bit of form (slightly soft and lighting doesn't give it as much shape as the others) - maybe pull down the yellow luminosity very slightly? A very good image though :)

all i can think is who needs that many knifes?? Well composed and a nice sharp image :coat:

I like the daffs and i think spring is topical when it happens in february!

Nice bright image not sure about topical but a good image (may have been better for Living World)

Last edited by a moderator:
Topical. Well it works for me Steve. Craving a bit of colour this time of the year.

That works for me Steve - Spring is very much a topic of discussion and daffs represent Spring so quite right. Nice choice - lovely vibrant colours.
Thanks Carl, appreciate your comments

I think we all struggled with topical Steve. Liking the flowers , nice and vibrant with a sufficiently shallow DoF to blur the background whilst not bluring all the dafs.
Cheers mate, difficult subject I thought.
Ta :)

Hi Steve it works for me, in fact I bought a bunch of daffs with the same thought in mind originally. You've captured their bright cheerful colour really well and I like the dof too.
Thanks Susie, first thought was rain drops, pretty topical except it didn't rain all week :D
Ta :)

Steve, liking yourTopical image, certainly on theme and different than all the other images, Colours are good and sharp too.
Thanks Lee

Topical, yep that works Steve, (y)
You could even post it again for this week's theme :D
Hehehe I had thought of it

Hi Steve, perfectly topical - well done :) I didn't like the theme and you've cleverly chosen a nice subject to make it a lot more interesting! Very full dynamic range in your image, which is nice, although the DOF and lighting means the nearest daf loses a bit of form (slightly soft and lighting doesn't give it as much shape as the others) - maybe pull down the yellow luminosity very slightly? A very good image though :)
Thanks for comments and suggestions, much appreciated Paul

all i can think is who needs that many knifes?? Well composed and a nice sharp image :coat:

I like the daffs and i think spring is topical when it happens in february!
Thanks Ruth, most of them knives never see light of day, dangerous nah they're too blunt :)

Camo - what an interesting image - bang-on theme and well captured

Dangerous - liking the artistic composition and PP on this the B&W and contrast also work well, very nice

Topical - Works for me and also a nice image
Thanks for the Comments Jon

Hi Steve

May be a bit of a shoe horn but a lovely vivid pic of them Daffs, good to see that all the ones in focus are un-clipped too :)
Cheers fella for the kind words

Nice bright image not sure about topical but a good image (may have been better for Living World)
Cheers Mark, you're probably right about the living world

Topical. Well it works for me Steve. Craving a bit of colour this time of the year.
Cheers Ruth. Not as imaginative or as creative as your efforts

And very nicely too Steve (y)

Dangerous - what a lot of knives seems a bit flat though I needs a bit of shine or reflection
Topical - does indeed fit theme and clean bright shot.
Living world - my favourite of these three great picture

Lovely scene Steve. Like the path with the melting snow leading the viewer upwards. Great shot for the theme. :clap:

Steve, really liking your Living World Image, good composition and control of the lighting. The clouds are really nice too.

That's a beauty Steve.

That's my type of shot, Steve. Really lovely tones from the nearly-golden-hour light. Not sure if you've added a touch of warmth to the path but if so, well done because it doesn't jump out incongruously and basically it works wonderfully. If there's no post processing then you've captured a truly wonderful scene brilliantly!

Stunning :clap:

I know nothing about landscapes, everyone else seems to like it but I am pretty much nonplussed as to why this is so I will say nothing. But I thought I'd say hi anyway. [emoji4]

Nice one Steve

Fits the brief perfectly for me, love the leading line of the path and the light is brilliant

And very nicely too Steve (y)
Thanks Chris

Dangerous - what a lot of knives seems a bit flat though I needs a bit of shine or reflection
Topical - does indeed fit theme and clean bright shot.
Living world - my favourite of these three great picture
Thanks for taking the time to view and comment

Great blues and greens there Steve. Placing the sun behind the tree really draws the eye.
:clap:
Thanks Tim
Steve, really liking your Living World Image, good composition and control of the lighting. The clouds are really nice too.
Thanks Lee,
That's a beauty Steve.
Thanks Ruth, actually made explore on flickr :)

That's a really beautiful shot Steve ...I love the light on the pathway , perfect for the theme.
Thanks for the comments Susie

That's my type of shot, Steve. Really lovely tones from the nearly-golden-hour light. Not sure if you've added a touch of warmth to the path but if so, well done because it doesn't jump out incongruously and basically it works wonderfully. If there's no post processing then you've captured a truly wonderful scene brilliantly!

Stunning :clap:
Yeah there was a bit of PP trickery involved, shooting into the sun always creates issues and the foreground was quite dark. When I lifted the shadows the sunrise really came out although I might have warmed it up a tad :)

I know nothing about landscapes, everyone else seems to like it but I am pretty much nonplussed as to why this is so I will say nothing. But I thought I'd say hi anyway. [emoji4]
Hi right back at yer :wave:

Hi Steve

Love the light on this one and the silhouetted tree and the path leading up to it (y)

nonplussed - REALLY :thinking: :LOL:
Thanks fella your comments are as always appreciated
I really like the camera leading you along the path. (y)
Thanks David
Nice one Steve

Fits the brief perfectly for me, love the leading line of the path and the light is brilliant
Cheers Mark
Stunning Living World capture - just my thing ! :)
Much appreciate the comment Jon

Last edited:
Week 10 Spiky

Getting a bit desperate now so this will have to do. All I can say in my defence is it was definitely spiky, I have the scars to prove it :)

DSCF9072.jpg by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

Impressed that you managed to avoid creating a silhouette against that bright sky. Spot on for theme.

Definitely Spiky Steve!
I wouldn't want to get caught up on them...they're like dragon's teeth :LOL:

It certainly is spiky Steve and bloody dangerous as well :D

The broken ends make it somehow more threatening. And, good metering (I think).

Nasty stuff, definitely spiky.
Cheers Clive

very Spiky, ouch
Thanks Lee

Impressed that you managed to avoid creating a silhouette against that bright sky. Spot on for theme.
I was lucky it was early morning and the sun just caught the branches and thorns

Definitely Spiky Steve!
I wouldn't want to get caught up on them...they're like dragon's teeth :LOL:
Felt like them too. Thanks Ruth

It certainly is spiky Steve and bloody dangerous as well :D
Cheers Chris

Nice angle against the blue sky Steve and definitely Spiky.
Thanks Susie

Ouch...I certainly wouldn't have been getting close to those!
What we do for our art :)

The broken ends make it somehow more threatening. And, good metering (I think).
I was lucky the sun was just up and lighting the thorns.

Back