weekly jeangenie's 2012 photo52 (09ers) - Wk 9 Passion

Name
Jean
Edit My Images
Yes
Wk 1 The Future; Wk 2 Float; Wk 3 Doom and Gloom; Wk 4 Communication - Epic Failure! Wk 5 Fresh Start; Wk 6 Identity; Wk 7 Simple; Wk 8 Linear; Wk 9 Passion;

After suffering withdrawal symptoms from not doing a 52 last year, I'm giving this a go.

My aim is to improve on some of the techniques etc I struggled with in 2009 (plenty of scope there) and enjoy trying a few new things.

As luck would have it, this is a new theme to start us off, so just need to get my thinking cap on during the coming week.

Good luck to all those who join us - and everyone else brave/mad enough to do 52s and 366s. :)

Jean

Last edited:
Good luck Jean, how's the idea hunting coming on ??

Hi Defiance,

Thanks - and I'll look out for your shots, too. Best of luck! :)

How are the ideas flowing for The Future?

Jean

Hi Jean,

Managed to come up with an idea, tried a few things and have posted the idea I like best :) Miss C and SaraLee have posted some great ones too :)

Oh dear, Defiance! Half way through Week 1 and I still haven't decided what to do for mine!!! This is typical, as Sarah knows - I'm usually shooting it on Sunday afternoon and posting Sunday night! I think I must like the pressure. :bang:

I'll try not to peek at yours, Miss C's and Sarah's until I've at least decided on subject. But ..... I'm bursting with curiosity! :D:D:D

Jean

On form again this year huh Jean ??

:) I have a cunning plan....hopefully will execute this evening.....and I am trying to avoid all yours until I do mine !!! It really is blowing the cobwebs away!

On form again this year huh Jean ??

Indeed John - I wouldn't want to disappoint!! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

:) I have a cunning plan....hopefully will execute this evening.....and I am trying to avoid all yours until I do mine !!! It really is blowing the cobwebs away!

John - don't worry, there won't be anything on my thread anytime soon - just wish I had a cunning plan! :bang: Good luck with yours. ;)

Jean

Jean :wave:

Happy New Year sweetie, and get that thinking cap on :naughty:

You know you can do it and I can't wait to see your results.

Come on, come on,..... come on, come on........ come on come on ...... come on :D

Good luck with your 52 Jean, look forward to you posting some photographs:D
I did a 52 in 2010 along with your good self so here's hoping for some mutual success this year too. Iain

Jill - thanks for the encouragement! I think I've got the shot I'll use for week 1, but I'm hanging on to see if my little grey cells strike gold in the next 24 hours! Happy New Year to you, too. :)

Hi Iain - Yes, indeedy I remember some great shots on your 2010 52. :) Look forward to following this year's journey too. Very best of luck (y)

Jean

best of luck for this year Jean, I've joined in again too.... :LOL:
(we must be mad!)
x

Well, one done, only 51 to go!

I can't complain about this week's theme, since it was my suggestion. Sorry! But the first week of January is a good time to be looking ahead into The Future. Peering into my crystal ball I see mist, clouds and glimpses of strange images! Oooo-errr - scary stuff. :eek:

However, my crystal ball technology is a free download, and may not be reliable! What is for sure is that our children and grandchildren are the future, so for me, what better way of celebrating the start of my 52 than with a pic of my beautiful grand daughter, Jess, in pensive mood, thinking about her future.

DSC_2282LR.jpg

Taken indoors in natural light.

Thank you for looking. Comments - good and bad - and suggestions for improvement are all most welcome. :)

Jean

Oh, wow Jean - that was worth waiting for.

Love the composition, the tone, the framing, the superb eye contact and the b&w conversion :clap::clap::clap:

It certainly illustrates the theme (and serves you right struggling after picking that theme :D)

PS Kudos to you for your patience in getting the right pose and kudos to your beautiful model

Totally agree with Jill on this Jean. Stunning and spot on. Love it.

Lovely shot Jean and a great interpretation of the theme.... I do like the catch lights in her eyes, also love the framing (y)

If I had to slip in something that might improve the shot a tad for me (although I'm not sure how it could be done or how it would look) I'd tweak the contrast a little to give the image a little more punch...thats just a personal preference though :)

Very nice start to the 52s Jean - you've done your chosen subject proud :)

Jean - really lovely shot, as has been said.

I'd agree with John (Dark Star) regarding the contrast, although a slightly bolder black border may serve a similar purpose...? (AKA perceived contrast)

Wow! That is a lovely portrait of your little grand-daughter that is very much on theme.
I wouldn't change anything about the photograph, I think a less contrasty image is more in keeping with your gorgeous little model. The catchlight in her eyes to the pose make for a cracking photograph. Good start to your 52 Jean. Iain

Hi Jean. Wonderful interpretation of the theme and a lovely view of the future :)

Love everything about the shot - the subject (who is so sweet), the expression, the crop, the processing and those eyes that must melt her grandma :)

Thanks for the lovely comment everyone!

John and Keri - well made point, however I have already boosted the contrast a little. It was taken in very low light from the window right behind me (I was cross that I was visible in the catchlights in her eyes) which made it quite flat. The slight contrast boost just gave a bit of definition to her hair and emphasised her eyes slightly. I generally like contrasty b&w but make an exception for babies! They have such perfect skin I like a 'gentle' look. And Keri - a real senior moment on my part - I'd done 2 low-res versions one with and one without a border. Posted the wrong one, didn't I. :bonk::bonk:

I haven't got round to everyone else's shots yet - but I will. Hopefully this coming week will be a bit less busy.

It's good to be back in the 52 routine, though!!! I think!!! So far!!! :nuts:

Jean

Week 2: Float

I'm sure there must be lots of ideas for this topic, but they all escaped me apart from the idea of something floating on water. Full marks for originality, eh!

Being lucky enough to live on the south coast, I toddled off to Lymington to see what was floating down there. For those of you who don't know Lymington, it's at the mouth of a river which flows into the Solent (the stretch of water between the mainland and the Isle of Wight). It's a yachties' paradise, where if you want to blend in with the crowd you wear a yellow sailing jacket and yellow wellies to visit your gin palace moored up at the Yacht Club. That's not quite fair, there are people who have yachts for sailing, and there are also a lot of dinghy sailors there, too.

I thought I'd try and get a very beautiful yacht moored up in the river, but all I could see were hundreds and hundreds of boats on the pontoons - too crowded to see the water let alone get the concept of 'float' across. So I decided to wait until the Isle of Wight ferry chugged out, but couldn't get a clear enough picture of that either. By then it was almost dark, and I was already mentally composing my excuses for being late posting Week 2. :eek:

Then I spotted these 'prams' - little dinghies used to row out to the yachts moored in the river. Some of these are more likely to sink than float, but perhaps I can plead artistic licence!

Week 2 Float (maybe!)

DSC_2409LR.jpg

I'm a bit disappointed with my lack of progress this week! I used this location for one of the 09 shots, and had exactly the same problems - it's too crowded to get anything in isolation. I clearly haven't learned a very simple lesson: when you know it's a useless location for your purpose, don't use it. :bang::bang::bang:

C & c very welcome, as always. :)

Jean

Ohh don't be too hard on yourself Jean, the boats may be a little less upmarket than Jill's but they are full of interest and colour :)

Its a crackingly crisp shot, and I like the texture of the reflection (if that makes sense :))

I like the way the boats seem folded up too

The lesson....well....I still think its okay :)

I like the way it shows the less glamours side of Marinas, I think your maybe is right about them floating but as John says don't be so hard on your self :)

Oh Jean !!!
I seem to have totally missed your first week :bonk:
I don't think you'd put your image up when I did my first round of C&C and I forgot to pop back to check.
Good to see you back on board with the madness - only another 50 to go !!!

Week 1 is absolutely adorable and I completely agree with you about the lower contrast. Fantastic expression, lovely sharp eyes and beautiful catchlights. The only thing I would have liked to see different is a touch more space on the right to get the rest of her ear in.

Week 2 : I also think you're being far too hard on yourself.
As you know I like a loose interpretation of the theme. You have water and you have things that (allegedly) float . . . what more do you need?

The thing that I really like in this one is the colour palette. So many shades of blue with subtle touches of yellow and then you have a splash of orange in that one boat which smacks you in the face and gives immediate prominence to it as a focal point. I actually think it would have been nice if you could have framed this with a little more height to give more weight to the lifebelt in the background. Making that extra bit of orange more dominant would have tied it all together IMO and helped to guide the eye around the frame.

Ohh don't be too hard on yourself Jean, the boats may be a little less upmarket than Jill's but they are full of interest and colour :)

Its a crackingly crisp shot, and I like the texture of the reflection (if that makes sense :))

I like the way the boats seem folded up too

The lesson....well....I still think its okay :)

:LOL: The boats being 'less up market than Jill's' could well be the understatement of the whole 52s!! Thanks for the kind comments.

I like the way it shows the less glamours side of Marinas, I think your maybe is right about them floating but as John says don't be so hard on your self :)

Thank Ruth - tbh, this is probably the only unglamorous scene in the whole of Lymington! I suppose I had an idea of what I wanted and find it frustrating when I can't get that particular shot. Still, there are 50 more chances this year!!! :LOL:

Oh Jean !!!
I seem to have totally missed your first week :bonk:
I don't think you'd put your image up when I did my first round of C&C and I forgot to pop back to check.
Good to see you back on board with the madness - only another 50 to go !!!

Week 1 is absolutely adorable and I completely agree with you about the lower contrast. Fantastic expression, lovely sharp eyes and beautiful catchlights. The only thing I would have liked to see different is a touch more space on the right to get the rest of her ear in.

Week 2 : I also think you're being far too hard on yourself.
As you know I like a loose interpretation of the theme. You have water and you have things that (allegedly) float . . . what more do you need?

The thing that I really like in this one is the colour palette. So many shades of blue with subtle touches of yellow and then you have a splash of orange in that one boat which smacks you in the face and gives immediate prominence to it as a focal point. I actually think it would have been nice if you could have framed this with a little more height to give more weight to the lifebelt in the background. Making that extra bit of orange more dominant would have tied it all together IMO and helped to guide the eye around the frame.

Sarah - thanks for your (as always) thoughtful comments. Week 1 - I cropped hard because of a busy background - and I quite like tight square-cropped portraits! But I take you point - and she has got 2 ears!! :LOL:

Week 2 - similar problem - the boat in the background was dwarfed by the black hull of another boat the other side of the pontoon. It's a bit like trying to get a clear shot of one person at the first day of Harrod's sales!! This is just a slight crop to try and reduce the background distractions.

Hi Jean, that's a great pic for float. A great range of colours in there and the reflection works well

Thanks Michael - glad you like it. :)

Well... I like it Jean, sharp, clear, colourful, if a little ropey looking :D... works for me. I always thought little harbours like Lymington were great places for shoots... so many things to shoot. Yeah they're busy... but...

Back