weekly jeangenie's 2012 photo52 (09ers) - Wk 9 Passion

Gotta say Jean, has to be #2 for me too. #1 look ok, but there's too much of the grown up onions, and the littlest onion (was that a film ?? :D) doesn't stand out so well. Thanks for the info on the set...

Wk 6: Identity

There's a pattern emerging already in this 52 reloaded - topics that were difficult in 09 haven't got any easier!! Is anybody else finding that?

I had one idea, but I was defeated by the weather.

I think this is a tough one, because it starts us questioning our own identity. Who am I, and how do I know who I am? Well, I suppose a look in the mirror would take me down the sp route. :shake::shake::shake:

So I opted for the identity I have by virtue of being a British citizen.

My Identity:

DSC_2640LR.jpg

I tried various angles, crops and pp treatments but in the end went for something simple which seemed to suit the formality of the document. Aha then I noticed next week's theme - Simple!!! :thinking: ;)

Jean

Last edited:
Jean, I think we are all feeling the same about last week as we are the only 2 who have posted anything so far :( Not my favourite theme, and, I well remember in 09 posting something one week that would have fit the theme for the following week :D

Definitely fits the theme and you have achieved a much better WB than I managed in mine (y)

Good luck with Simple, I haven't got a clue so far so it's out and about on the streets of Barcelona with my thinking cap on :thinking:

Week 5 - Gotta say image 2 has it for me hands down - all those wonderful details and great colour!

Week 6 - nice take on this, a self port seems the obvious, but you went further, well done :)

I'm going for the first onion shot -I think the second might be my preferred composition, but it wants more dof in my opinion. I like the 'looking down from a skyscraper' perspective in the first shot. Interesting idea for identity & bang on theme - just not the most interesting photo!

Clever idea Jean, and it's worked well... having included a passport in the 09 image... I didn't feel I could do the same this time around... And no, I don't find them any easier either

Personally I prefer the second shot out of the 2, but as said above it could use a little more depth of field :)

Identity....lovely detail, lovely close up and I like the format you've chosen

Passports were on my list too :)

I'm off to study mine to look for the terrific detail you've highlighted

I love the variety of interpretations of this theme - very inspiring!

:D

Jean,

Big catch up time for me. I'm afraid with illness and work I've really been slacking with the comments for the last few weeks, so I'm going to limit myself to looking at the last two. Normal service is resuming from today though :D

There really isn't much I can add about identity. It's clean, simple and perfectly executed. What I do find fascinating though is that I'd actually never noticed that printed in a passport before. I'll have to go have a look :LOL:

Root however, is probably my favourite of your 52 so far. I'm really torn between the two images. Love the DoF and rich reds in number 2, but the white space in no.1 adds something to it. In both I think you've really shown that you can take a couple of very simple items and photograph them in a way to make something very special.

Another one catching up.

Communication. Really like this (and Johns one!) Fun shot.
Fresh Start. Enjoy looking at both shots but No 2 would be my choice. The shallow DOF and the overall colour.

Hi jean

So sorry it looks like I missed your identity shot when I commented on the onions :(

I like the passport shot as you say simple and fitting of the document it's self and it's about the form of ID anyone will take now days :D

Thank you everyone for your positive comments - I really appreciate them. I find it's genuinely difficult to make sensible judgements about my own pics sometimes, and it's great to have so many experienced eyes giving feedback. (y)

I'm afraid I've got behind on both togging and commenting these last 2 weeks (it's a b***** when life gets in the way of photography!). So bit of a catch up is on the way! :D

Thanks again,

Jean
xx

Week 7 Simple:

I remember struggling with this one last time round, and ended up with 'A Simple Walk down Memory Lane' when we revisited a house we'd lived in many years previously. The crowbar's a bit smaller this time (I hope!), and I'd like to share with you -

A Simple Meal:

DSC_2911LR.jpg

Don't suggest I reshoot it - there's not much left!!! :D

As always with this type of still life shot, I find inanimate objects take on a life of their own, and arranging them just how you'd like them takes forever. Add in a marauding OH and two attentive dogs and it ends up being anything but Simple! :eek:

Comments most welcome, as always,

Jean

One word....luscious :)

A gorgeous still life, with (for me at least) just the right dof going on!

The colours and lighting look really natural too - what was the set up?

My diet head is suffering now....I want what you've shot :D

Very very nice! Drool :D

Thanks, John. Sorry - I didn't mean to undermine your diet! The grapes are ok!! And a glass of red wine (or 2) are supposed to be good for your cholesterol - so you might as well enjoy the homemade bread the Silton, too!!!

The set up was very simple - kitchen table with glass door and windows camera right, reflector camera left and a couple of pieces of white card next to the camera to throw a bit of light onto the grapes. Very Heath Robinson. :LOL: I've just realised the seeds in the bread make it look a bit moldy. :eek:

Thanks for your comments. :)

Jean

Eeeek....I looked at that and my first thought was 'I'm underneath the nose of a jet plane'.....it's nicely abstract and its a 'look again and again' shot :) and has enough lines to qualify for the theme I reckon....

You have me intrigued now.... :)

Week 7 - simple, I guess! Looks like thought had go into this. I would have liked more DOF but as you say not possible now, and not surprisingly :)

Week 8 - Thunderbirds are GO!

Simple: Im not sure about this one. Think Id like more DOF or all of it sharp. Is it because the larger piece is OOF and only the small piece sharp? I dont know..... I do agree that table top stuff is indeed not easy to set up. You can at least retake and retake but you'll never get the same shot twice if you eat it!

Linear: Have no idea at all what that is!

John - thanks for the comments. Under the nose of a jet plane, eh? :eek: You're right - but a special jet plane! ;)

Dade and Miss C Thanks for commenting - I guess shallow dof is a bit of a Marmite thing. I put the focus on the small bit of cheese because that was what I intended as the meal - not even I could manage the whole chunk!! Although I did manage the whole glass of wine. :LOL: And I needed to throw a distracting b/g out of focus. :)

Thunderbirds, Dade? Bit before my time. :whistle: :LOL:

Jean

Sounds as though you had to go through a lot of palaver for a Simple shot :D

As much as me for Identity, but slightly less messy and you got to eat and drink the props :D

I'm one of the few who would prefer more DoF as my focus is on the big chunk of cheese, but I guess it is a bit of a Marmite thing :shrug:

As for Linear - absolutely love it :love::love: but got no idea what it is .........

Excellent Jean... Simple... hmm... yumm... good strong colours... really good...

Linear... Looks like the nose of Concorde to me... But... it's spot on for the theme... and works brilliantly against that blue sky.

Linear... Looks like the nose of Concorde to me... But... it's spot on for the theme... and works brilliantly against that blue sky.

Jill, John and Michael - thanks for the lovely comments.

The prize for guessing Linear goes to John - it was indeed taken under the nose of Concorde. :clap::clap::clap:

We were at Brooklands Race track (near Weybridge, Surrey) and Mr JG was enjoying a flight in the Concorde simulator. They have a Concorde there and you can go inside it. Such a shame there are none in service, but this was the next best thing.

Really struggling for Passion. :(

Jean

Week 9 Passion:

Nothing came to mind at all for this, and with little time and less brain space, I've resorted to cheating. The image was taken in Week 8 - Oh the shame of it!!! :crying: :confused:

I've combined two popular passions - aircraft (yes, Concorde, again) and cars. I know nothing about cars (if you asked me about mine, I'd say it was blue!) but my son who was there was as close to drooling as a grown man can get when stone cold sober! It's a McLaren ..... :shrug: It arrived for a photoshoot under Concorde and as you can see from the reflections people are gathering round to get their own pictures.

I've never done any car photography, but I was very tempted to ask them to straighten the front wheels and clear some of the clutter from the b/g!!

DSC_2828LR.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Jean

I'm not sure if I should be please or not that I got that prize... it says quite a lot about me :LOL:... sounds like a great day out Jean, must make a trip there.

Passion, a great idea, and it fits the theme... nothing wrong with having the fronts wheels turned in a little, in fact, I think I prefer it like that. You have to watch reflections... and there was a crowd to your left wasn't there ;)... I think, I'd have been tempted to move more around towards the noses, get the front undercarriage strut out of the bonnet, and more showing as alongside, and perhaps try and get the flowing lines of the wing over the flowing lines of the car.. not sure I've described that very well, but I can see it in my head... there's almost a symmetry of power and performance there... (doesn't that sound pretentious :LOL:)

John - Brooklands is a good day out, but the highlight for Mr JG was definitely the flight on the simulator! :)

I took shots from all angles, but moving round to the front gave a very messy background, and I was trying not to get in the way of the official tog! I've got a couple of shots from the 3/4 rear view with the gull wing doors open and I'll post them when I've got a minute to pp them. :)

Michael - thanks! I quite liked the reflections too - people were like wasps drawn to a jam sandwich!!

Thanks to you both for your comments. :)

Jean

Boys and their toys :LOL::LOL:

I love the way the car is pin sharp and I'm drawn to the reflections which absolutely shout Passion for the car, I can almost see the drool :D

And as my entry last week was 'one I made earlier' and may happen again as I get ready for my Workshop and Exhibition I'll say no more about it :naughty:

Boys and their toys :LOL::LOL: Indeed! But it did look good - even to me!

I love the way the car is pin sharp and I'm drawn to the reflections which absolutely shout Passion for the car, I can almost see the drool :D It's amazing that people get so excited about a lump of very expensive metal.

And as my entry last week was 'one I made earlier' and may happen again as I get ready for my Workshop and Exhibition I'll say no more about it :naughty:

Jill, I did notice you'd resorted to one you'd made earlier, too, but I wasn't going to mention it!!!!!!! :p At least you have an excuse with your Workshop and Exhibition coming up. :)

Thanks for the comments.

Jean

Thanks Dade! It wasn't possible to get a shot of this car without people in it - they were everywhere, so the best option was to get reflections of them.

I'm a bit behind with my 52 at the moment - sometimes life gets in the way of photography!!! I'm hoping to start the catch up this week-end. I will be back. :)

Jean

Serious catching up needed...oh now that is a lovely looking car....I'm not into these things but it looks very snazzy :) Pin sharp too. Loving the reflections (oh now there's a theme ;)). And perched under Concorde just adds to the passion if you like machines that roar :)

Nice shot Jean...looks like the weather was kind to you as well :)

Back