weekly jeangenie's 2012 photo52 (09ers) - Wk 9 Passion

Hey Jean,

These 52's are tough but thats the point isnt it ;)

How have you been, I have not been using the forums much of late, but I am back to do another 52 (last one was in 2010) - which Im pleased to say I finished, unlike a lot of things I start ;)

Week 1 - Lovely, perfect PP, great subject matter
Week 2 - You already know the weakness in this image - try again we both know you can do better ;)

I now see what you mean whn you commented on my thread :D

Hate to disappoint but they were actually fishing boats :LOL:

I like the shot, so stop being so hard on yourself as the title could easily have been FLOAT ?

You've got boats, you've got water .........

And I like the composition and the exposure too so less of the doubt if you don't mind :nono:

I think float has potential, but wants something to jazz it up - I'd be tempted to crop some of the top & do a contrasty B&W conversion.

Phil

Hi Jean :wave:

Good to 'see' you again but I am now cursing you since I read your post saying "The Future" was your idea! Can't tell you how much I struggled with that today :bang:

Anyway - lovely first shot. The only thing I was going to say was to boost the contrast but I see that's already been covered. Love the pose and I like the take on the theme (y)

Float - ok so it's not the most exciting subject but technically it is very good. I always like a good reflection and well done for not just giving up and going home. I guess it is lesson well and ruly learned re the location - although part of me want to challenge you to go back and get a shot you are happy with. Not necessarily on theme - just any shot....

Looking forward to seeing week 3 ;)

Well... I like it Jean, sharp, clear, colourful, if a little ropey looking :D... works for me. I always thought little harbours like Lymington were great places for shoots... so many things to shoot. Yeah they're busy... but...

Thanks John. Yes, Lymington is a great place to shoot especially if you want 'busy, busy, busy' and there are lots of interesting details, textures etc. But I'd intended to get a shot of a graceful yacht at anchor out in the river, so was disappointed I couldn't do that! :dummy:

Hey Jean,

These 52's are tough but thats the point isnt it ;)

How have you been, I have not been using the forums much of late, but I am back to do another 52 (last one was in 2010) - which Im pleased to say I finished, unlike a lot of things I start ;)

Week 1 - Lovely, perfect PP, great subject matter
Week 2 - You already know the weakness in this image - try again we both know you can do better ;)

Hi Dade - great to see you! Delighted you're doing another 52, too! Are we mad??? Thanks for the comments - I'll keep trying. ;)

I now see what you mean whn you commented on my thread :D

Hate to disappoint but they were actually fishing boats :LOL:

I like the shot, so stop being so hard on yourself as the title could easily have been FLOAT ?

You've got boats, you've got water .........

And I like the composition and the exposure too so less of the doubt if you don't mind :nono:

Jill - you've shattered my illusions - fishing boats, indeed! They're no right to look so good. Thanks for your comments. :)

Jean

Hi jean,
Good luck with the project...I will pop in from time to time :)
Jeff

Thanks Jeff - that luck will come in handy! Next week for starters. :)

I think float has potential, but wants something to jazz it up - I'd be tempted to crop some of the top & do a contrasty B&W conversion.

Phil

Phil - Thanks for the suggestion. I'd played about with the crop for ages but wanted to keep the orange boat as a focal point, but putting it into b&w makes it possible to do a different crop. This was as contrasty as I could get it (it was taken in low light):

DSC_2409bwLR.jpg

One of my aims for this year's 52 is to make sure I try out suggestions - so many thanks for the input. :)

Hi Jean :wave:

Good to 'see' you again but I am now cursing you since I read your post saying "The Future" was your idea! Can't tell you how much I struggled with that today :bang:

Anyway - lovely first shot. The only thing I was going to say was to boost the contrast but I see that's already been covered. Love the pose and I like the take on the theme (y)

Float - ok so it's not the most exciting subject but technically it is very good. I always like a good reflection and well done for not just giving up and going home. I guess it is lesson well and ruly learned re the location - although part of me want to challenge you to go back and get a shot you are happy with. Not necessarily on theme - just any shot....

Looking forward to seeing week 3 ;)

Fi!! How lovely to see you :wave: So sorry about Future, I'll pop over in a minute and see what you've done! I hope you've put in a revenge topic. :rules: I shall definitely go back to Lymington for more shots - glutton for punishment, me! ;) Thanks for the kind comments.

Jean

Well I suppose this one had to rear its ugly head sooner or later. I had several ideas - after all, there's plenty of D & G about just now!

In the end the news on Thursday that Kodak had filed for administration in America gave me a topic. Whatever you think of Kodak as an organisation, I guess all of us old enough to have used film have used their products, and they were the company that made photography affordable to ordinary people in the first place. They've caused a lot of grief in the processing/printing side of our industry with silly formats - remember APS? :puke: And their lack of compatibility with other products has been irritating for lots of unsuspecting customers. Nevertheless, this week's headline only added to the general state of Doom and Gloom:

DSC_2456LR.jpg

I have learned something from this shot - iron the creases out of the paper first!!! :bonk::bonk::bonk:

Comments most welcome. Thanks for looking. :)

Jean

Last edited:
I like it. The strong diagonal title, the white balance is perfect and instead of the obvious finiancial doom & gloom youve picked an article with photographical theme too! (y)

and I prefer the coloured version of your boats ... :)

I'm with Miss C Jean....the angle you've shot it at adds strong interest for me. The black and whites are good and the depth of field is spot on.

The small splash of colour afforded by the rolls of film only goes to emphasise the B&Ws and the gloomy story around it.

Very nice shot indeed and spot on theme (y)

(And also, like Miss C, I like the colour version of 'Float' best :) Although the conversion has been done very well :)

I like it. The strong diagonal title, the white balance is perfect and instead of the obvious finiancial doom & gloom youve picked an article with photographical theme too! (y)

and I prefer the coloured version of your boats ... :)

Thank you Miss C. I wouldn't have wished financial ruin on Kodak just to give me a topic - but it was very decent of them to time it just right. :D

I'm with Miss C Jean....the angle you've shot it at adds strong interest for me. The black and whites are good and the depth of field is spot on.

The small splash of colour afforded by the rolls of film only goes to emphasise the B&Ws and the gloomy story around it.

Very nice shot indeed and spot on theme (y)

(And also, like Miss C, I like the colour version of 'Float' best :) Although the conversion has been done very well :)

Thank you, John. Sometimes you just get lucky. I won't tell you after your 48 shots this week that this one was the last of 2! ;)

:plus1:

Very good representation of the theme. Really like it.

Thanks Alex - you're very kind. :)

Jean

Well hello to you...not been on this site for so long, but started to get back to my photography just lately, so logged on and there are the old timers...as if I never left...:LOL:

Just looking over your start to your 52s...

1. wow love the first one so much...cracking shot(y)

2. not sure about the coloured boats, but the b/w is the right choice for me.

3. Doom & Gloom... that is spot on...love it...:love:

so a great start from you...looking forward to the next 49...:clap::clap::clap:

Excellent job Jean. Really liking it, I agree with the comments of the others...

Well hello to you...not been on this site for so long, but started to get back to my photography just lately, so logged on and there are the old timers...as if I never left...:LOL:

Just looking over your start to your 52s...

1. wow love the first one so much...cracking shot(y)

2. not sure about the coloured boats, but the b/w is the right choice for me.

3. Doom & Gloom... that is spot on...love it...:love:

so a great start from you...looking forward to the next 49...:clap::clap::clap:

Marcus - Hi :wave: How nice to see you! Actually I wasn't on here much last year either - I did the 52 for 2 years and needed a break. But without the discipline of the 52 I got very lazy about posting anything up. So I'm enjoying getting back into the 09ers revisited. Are you going to join us?

Thanks for your lovely comments. I've got to keep going for another 49 weeks now you've been so kind! :)

Excellent job Jean. Really liking it, I agree with the comments of the others...

Thanks, John. Sometimes bad news in the papers is 'good'! ;)

OOOoooo, I love it - very apt and poignant great subject matter and nicely angled for interest ;)

Thank you kindly, Dade.

Jean

Wow Jean, looks like we both got lucky this week. You with the news story that is so apt and me with the rain that's like hens' teeth :LOL:

I love the interpretation, especially for us old(er) toggers ;)

Love the composition, the white balance and the selective focus :clap::clap::clap:

PS Never, ever, ever iron something you don't need to :LOL::LOL: it adds authenticity ;)

+1 for not ironing anything if you don't need to!

I really like how you've found a photography related story to represent - it would have been so easy to go for just any doom-laden headline. Technically I can't fault it - jealous of your white balance skills and the DOF / focus works really well.

Jill, Fi, Michael and Ruth - many thanks for the positive comments (despite the doom and gloom!) Sorry I haven't had chance to reply earlier - it's been one of those weeks. I'm blaming a certain Mr Murray for some of it! :razz: :)

Jill and Fi - In our house we have a place to store most of our clothes- it's called the ironing basket. Sounds very worthy but it's never empty! :bang:

Jill - less of this 'older toggers' - you're just a youngster! ;)

Jean

Week 4 Communication

Last time this was out of the bag I did something very similar to John (Dark Star's) Doom and Gloom music picture.

But unusually, I had a brilliant idea this time for Communication. With no time to shoot it until today, I was really chilled - until I saw exactly the same idea by another 09er on FB!!! :bang::bang::bang: At least I was saved the embarrassment of posting a similar but not so good shot! :eek:

I came up with a few other ideas but ended up taking a slightly different slant on the same idea, so I give you -

Communication - Epic Fail!

DSC_2558LR.jpg

Unfortunately the can of mixed pulses must have had a hard life and it's quite battered!! I was quite frustrated that I couldn't quite get a pure white background - I blame the dull weather this afternoon! ;)

Jean

Last edited:
:nono::nono::nono:

We do the criticism around here madam (as well you know)

I like the shot and the clear interpretation of the theme showing ancient and modern. Yes the background is a bit mixed but such is life. On a day when you weren't so rushed it would have been perfect - it's sod's law.

Perhaps we should ban a certain person from FBing his pics until after the weekend :thinking:

Keep smiling missus ;)

Right firstly apologies a) for the idea and b) for posting it on FB!

Now having said that I think you've out done me!

You've equalled the lighting and composition but improved the image and interpretation!

You've added topicality and interest :)

Its no way a fail...and the bg - well there is such an easy cure to that (I wouldn't have noticed had you not mentioned it :)) I'll post my set up shot later and its dead simple :)

Anyway it just proves Great Minds Think Alike :D

Jean really no need to be so hard on your self! I can't add anything that the other haven't already said but it is defiantly not a fail!!

Jill, John, Ruth and Michael - Thank you for your kind words and the encouragement. 'Failure' is relative, and if I'm aiming for a white bg I want it Persil-white all over. Usually I find this very easy, but on this one I couldn't get enough natural light on it (and it was well-tweaked in ps). I wasn't really bothered about the can being battered! I think the 'epic' element of failure in the pic is one of Communication. Have you ever tried getting someone on their mobile from a tin can!!! :nuts: :D

Jeff - I started with the can on its side but kept blowing the ridges on the base while trying to get enough light on it. I do need a speedlite sometimes.

Jean

Come on Jean, you berated me for thinking similar thoughts... now Stop It!!! that's our job.

I think it's an excellent idea and fulfils the theme really well, and... it bought a smile and a chuckle too, so what more can you ask ;)... As for the background... I know the feeling... but... I'm not sure a totally white background would have been for the best. Having the background with those subtle shadows really helps ground it for me.

Well, it made me smile!

Hey Jean, Technically nothing wrong with the shot, creatively it needs something. maybe if the mobile had been ringing, and the string not obscuring the screen?

Or come at it totally fresh - there are MANY forms of communication apart from the obvious ;)

Thanks Phil

Dade - I agree abut the phone ringing. I did try, but it kept going off before I could get the shot! I tried just with the screen saver too but that goes into sleep mode too quickly. It was one of those frustrating shots where nothing went smoothly - including it was going dark! Last time we did this theme I used music notation which I really enjoyed doing. Still - there's a Fresh Start for this week! :LOL: Thanks for commentating - much appreciated.

Jean

Hi Jean, sorry I am late commenting - I have been busy ad ill and only got my shots today. I know better than to look at other peoples before I have taken mine ;):p

I think your communication shot is great. It is quirky and fun and technically it is all good. I think the phone ringing would have been even better - especially if you set up a fake contact called "Tin Can" to call from :D

Week 5 Fresh Start

Well, the Fresh Start didn't include posting early! :rules:

The weather dictated my choice this week - all the other ideas I had were outdoor shots and I'm not an outdoor person when the temperature is minus something.

The topic came a little bit early in the year for much of a take pn that great Fresh Start - Spring, so, my fresh start this week is an onion set, with last year's crop of onions receding into the background.

Horticultural note: A 'set' is a small onion bought specifically to grow on into a normal sized edible one. This red variety is called Red Baron and the ones you see in the supermarket are just grown up versions! They're one of the first crops of the year to be sown.

I couldn't decide which version to use, so here they both are - please decide for me! ;)

DSC_2595LR.jpg

DSC_2623LR.jpg

It's ages since I've used my 105 2.8 macro - so with a tiny onion set to capture this seemed a good opportunity. I had fun playing with different dofs!

Comments very welcome and a vote for 1 or 2 would be great! :D

Jean

Last edited:
#2 gets my vote Jean, the shallow dof works well, the larger onions providing a nice background. There's nothing wrong with #1, its just that the oof tops of the larger onions draw my eye. Good work on your 52, keep it going (y) Iain

#2 for me Jean you know how much I'm a sucker for a shallow dof :) and the colours (in both) are wonderful!

I agree with Iain about the distraction of the bigguns in #1 which is otherwise a fine shot in itself - so its #2 for me :)

Ta for the info about sets - you certainly know your onions :D

Hehe

Definitely #2 for me :clap::clap:

For the same reason - the oof of the large onions in #1 draws in my eye.

#2 has great DoF, lovely colours and a better perspective.

Now I know my onions and you know your almonds :LOL:

Back