jeangenie's 52 for 2010 Pt 2 - Wks 45 Share,47 Distortion & 48 Lead: Catch up Part 4!

It took me a while to see the black on white - probably because I looked at the 2nd shot first and couldn't "unsee" the blade - but now that I've seen it I can't get back to the white blade on a black b/g :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: A multistable image at its best!

Agree with Jenny on cloning out that bit of brown, but really well done on getting what you set out to do. It's a great abstract.

Excellent abstract, I really like it. Nice one.

I really like this image. I dip in and out of the book 'The Photographer's Eye' and depth perception - in particular causing ambiguity - is the bit I'm reading at the moment. Great to see it in practice in the '52!

Phil

Light: just beautiful. Who needs colour? I love this one :clap::clap::clap:

Project: an interesting take on the theme - well spotted. The texture and colour of the metal have come out well. Just remove the brown line at the top right so that there is nothing to distract from the interesting pattern.

Hi Jean!

Well, it's the first time I've been on the site since Jan due to baby, pre-deployment trg and leave. Things have now settled down and I've got some internet connection. I'm very pleased that the first thing I've looked at was you 'new' 52 thread. Huge well done for doing it back to back and I think your technical expertise has definitley grown. The composition and layout of the dolls is fab, really nice angle on the flower and LOVE the suitcases. Have to admit it took me a google search to understand electric, sorry. Great detail in surfaces. Nice steady hand there! Light - Simply beautiful image.

Huge congratulations on your grand daughter. She's fabulous! I look foward to seeing lots more of her growing up. Now I've got some internet I may even bore you with some of the shots I took of Lydia in her first 6 months.

You've done wonders for my morale out here in the desert and I shall look forward to each new installment. My morale, whilst 8000 miles from home and family, is now in your hands. No pressure!!

David

Last edited:
Interesting shot Jean, i like the abstract feel to it. Ive had my laptop turned every way to take a look and it does have that optical illusion to it. Im glad you posted the source of the picture to put it into context what it actually is.

Thanks, Chris. I thought it needed the source picture to validate it, because once I 'saw' the ambiguity it would drive me mad trying to work out what it was! :LOL:

I like the subtle changes in colour in the metal. Odd looking object close up so good to see it in situ.

Thanks jl. :)

That works very well. My eyes initially fixated on the black being the solid object against a white background. How wrong I was :)

:LOL: That's good - it means it's worked. :D

Thats an interesting photo for project. Well done

Thanks Sue - much appreciated. :)

Very clever indeed, Jean :clap::clap::clap: Until I read Darren's post, I too thought the black was the object. I think I would be tempted to clone out the brown streak at top right because it does not add anything.

Great shot!

Jenny

Thanks Jenny. I agree about the cloning of the streak - I didn't even spot it until you mentioned it. :bang: Life's a bit hectic just now, but I'll sort it when I have a minute. :)

It took me a while to see the black on white - probably because I looked at the 2nd shot first and couldn't "unsee" the blade - but now that I've seen it I can't get back to the white blade on a black b/g :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: A multistable image at its best!

Agree with Jenny on cloning out that bit of brown, but really well done on getting what you set out to do. It's a great abstract.

It's hard sometimes to see the 'other' image - Salvador Dali pictures are particularly frustrating. :)

Excellent abstract, I really like it. Nice one.

Thank John. :)

I really like this image. I dip in and out of the book 'The Photographer's Eye' and depth perception - in particular causing ambiguity - is the bit I'm reading at the moment. Great to see it in practice in the '52!

Phil

Thank you Phil - it's an interesting book, and raises lots of challenges. :)

Jean

Light: just beautiful. Who needs colour? I love this one :clap::clap::clap:

Project: an interesting take on the theme - well spotted. The texture and colour of the metal have come out well. Just remove the brown line at the top right so that there is nothing to distract from the interesting pattern.

Thanks Tracer - your comments are much appreciated. :)

Certainly is a multistable image Jean (y)

Very well taken. I saw it the right way round first time :LOL:

Andy

Well done, Andy! Was it obvious what the object was? It wasn't to me, but then I don't know anything about woodwork. :LOL:

Hi Jean!

Well, it's the first time I've been on the site since Jan due to baby, pre-deployment trg and leave. Things have now settled down and I've got some internet connection. I'm very pleased that the first thing I've looked at was you 'new' 52 thread. Huge well done for doing it back to back and I think your technical expertise has definitley grown. The composition and layout of the dolls is fab, really nice angle on the flower and LOVE the suitcases. Have to admit it took me a google search to understand electric, sorry. Great detail in surfaces. Nice steady hand there! Light - Simply beautiful image.

Huge congratulations on your grand daughter. She's fabulous! I look foward to seeing lots more of her growing up. Now I've got some internet I may even bore you with some of the shots I took of Lydia in her first 6 months.

You've done wonders for my morale out here in the desert and I shall look forward to each new installment. My morale, whilst 8000 miles from home and family, is now in your hands. No pressure!!

David

Hi David, It's great to hear from you again. It sounds as though life has been busy out there in the dessert! :) Thank you for your lovely comments, and funnily enough I always think of you when I post a b&w image. :) I particularly remembered your 'Longing' image last December when my daughter-in-law showed me her test result. :)

Jess is already growing fast - her poor mum is exhausted! I'd love to see photos of Lydia. Perhaps now you've got internet access you should start a thread to bring us up to date - or rejoin the 52! It's never too late and we're another good bunch this year. ;)

There are a couple of us still on here from last year - John (jgs001) and Sarah (SarahLee) so maybe I can share the pressure of bridging the 8000 mile gap. :)

Jean

I've had an embarrassing lack of enthusiasm for this week's topic. I haven't used film for 5 or 6 years, and find it hard to imagine going back to it - digi rules as far as I'm concerned. :LOL:

I had a couple of ideas about other interpretations of the theme but no time to experiment, so all I can say for this week is:

Film? What film? I see no film?

This reminds me of those times when all brain cells have been AWOL and I've opened up the back of a film cam to have a quick peep to see if there's a film inside. :bang: :confused:

I'd like to say I'd spent ages adjusting to get a soft focus and create an aged look to the shot to simulate an ancient film era even I'm too young to have experienced. But you wouldn't believe me, would you? The truth is I had very little time to do this, and was making chutney and cooking dinner at the same time. Definitely one for a reshoot. :)

Jean

Thats extreme multi tasking Jean, making dinner, chutney and photography at the same time!!!
I like the shot and the soft focus too, i think it would benefit from a slight straighten, i think the right hand side and the door of the camera look a little strange at this angle. The tight crop works well with this shot.

It works and it's on theme Jean... The DOF works nicely... I agree about the slight angle... As for making Dinner, Chutney and Photography all at the same time, don't mix things up too much... Chutney in the camera has got to be tricky ;)

I quite like it Jean. Yes it needs a small straighten and maybe a touch of added contrast, but it's certainly not out of place in your 52. No reshoot needed, get thinking dirty ;)

I like it too. Probably just my monitor or my eyes :bonk: but it looks a little dark .. I want to see more detail of the innards of that camera :)

Thats extreme multi tasking Jean, making dinner, chutney and photography at the same time!!!

LOL, it's a female thing. Men could not hope to compete at something like that :LOL:

I like this one, too, Jean, but I agree about the straightening and as JL says, I would also like to see a bit more of the innards.

It reminds me of when I tried photography about 25 years ago and immediately gave up. Film was just too expensive to experiment with.

Jenny

I'm really surprised (and very pleased) you haven't all blasted this to bits, because I very nearly didn't post at all. So thank you all for much better feedback that I think I deserved or expected. :)

I like the shot and the soft focus too, i think it would benefit from a slight straighten, i think the right hand side and the door of the camera look a little strange at this angle. The tight crop works well with this shot.

Thank you very much, Chris. I'd propped the camera up on its strap and didn't notice is wasn't quite straight. :bang:

It works and it's on theme Jean... The DOF works nicely... I agree about the slight angle... As for making Dinner, Chutney and Photography all at the same time, don't mix things up too much... Chutney in the camera has got to be tricky

:LOL: I did have to keep washing my hands. :)

I quite like it Jean. Yes it needs a small straighten and maybe a touch of added contrast, but it's certainly not out of place in your 52. No reshoot needed, get thinking dirty ;)

Thanks, Darren. I take your point about boosting the contrast - and as for thinking dirty, perhaps chutney in the camera would fit the theme. :shrug: :)

I like it too. Probably just my monitor or my eyes :bonk: but it looks a little dark .. I want to see more detail of the innards of that camera :)

Thanks, jl - I don't think it's your monitor - it was a little (well, very) dark, but when I tried to get more detail inside the camera the shiny bits were blown sky high. So I tried to kid myself that if you were having just a quick look inside a camera that might have a film in, you'd just take a quick glance to minimise light penetration. Another case of all brain cells going AWOL. :)

LOL, it's a female thing. Men could not hope to compete at something like that :LOL:

I like this one, too, Jean, but I agree about the straightening and as JL says, I would also like to see a bit more of the innards.

It reminds me of when I tried photography about 25 years ago and immediately gave up. Film was just too expensive to experiment with.

Jenny

Thanks, Jenny, but perhaps if I'd concentrated on one thing I'd have a better photograph ... but no dinner, and wasted produce from the allotment. There wasn't much choice really. :eek:

Jean

I rather like this one and the sepia pp really enhances it. Did you never learn to try the rewind knob to see if there was a film in the camera or not? :nono:

I'm glad you didn't get chutney in the camera!

Hi David, It's great to hear from you again. It sounds as though life has been busy out there in the dessert! :) Thank you for your lovely comments, and funnily enough I always think of you when I post a b&w image. :) I particularly remembered your 'Longing' image last December when my daughter-in-law showed me her test result. :)

Jess is already growing fast - her poor mum is exhausted! I'd love to see photos of Lydia. Perhaps now you've got internet access you should start a thread to bring us up to date - or rejoin the 52! It's never too late and we're another good bunch this year. ;)

There are a couple of us still on here from last year - John (jgs001) and Sarah (SarahLee) so maybe I can share the pressure of bridging the 8000 mile gap. :)

Jean

I won't be able to join in myself at the moment i'm afraid. I'm deployed and have no camera with me! Pretty iron clad excuse that one ;)

I've tried to look at John and Sarah's threads, but as with so many of the threads on the site I can't view the images because they're hosted on Flickr and that's blocked here.

I've got some pics of Lydia from before I left to come out here, so I'll try and remember how to post again and send you the link. Funnily enough, there's a few B&W on there... Hope to see some of the lovely Jess too.

I love the idea for this weeks shot too. Everytime I see your weeks theme I get loads of ideas. Must be because there's no camera in sight! I'm now going to go away and add chutney to the list of things i wish I had here!

Multi-tasking at its best Jean !!!

And I was completely fooled into thinking that the slightly soft, grainy aged look was a deliberate artistic statement :LOL:
In fact I think that look really suits the subject and if it wasn't contrived then it was a very lucky accident.

No need for a reshoot in my opinion either, although the top right corner could maybe do with a bit of work to one down the highlights. I just wish that I could come up with something like this in 2 minutes flat while cooking dinner at the same time.

I rather like this one and the sepia pp really enhances it. Did you never learn to try the rewind knob to see if there was a film in the camera or not? :nono:

I'm glad you didn't get chutney in the camera!

Thanks, Tracer. Rewind knob? :bang: But if I'd thought of that, I wouldn't have had a photo for this week. :D:)

I won't be able to join in myself at the moment i'm afraid. I'm deployed and have no camera with me! Pretty iron clad excuse that one ;) Yep - that is certainly pretty iron clad. It's a pity, though. :(

I've tried to look at John and Sarah's threads, but as with so many of the threads on the site I can't view the images because they're hosted on Flickr and that's blocked here. That must be quite frustrating. I find it easier to put my images in my Gallery - but then I keep running out of space and have to take them down again. :thumbsdown:

I've got some pics of Lydia from before I left to come out here, so I'll try and remember how to post again and send you the link. Funnily enough, there's a few B&W on there... Hope to see some of the lovely Jess too. Good, I look forward to seeing Lydia - and I'm sure Jess will feature endlessly! :LOL:

I love the idea for this weeks shot too. Everytime I see your weeks theme I get loads of ideas. Must be because there's no camera in sight! I'm now going to go away and add chutney to the list of things i wish I had here!

I'll send you a jar of chutney!!!! :)

Multi-tasking at its best Jean !!!

And I was completely fooled into thinking that the slightly soft, grainy aged look was a deliberate artistic statement :LOL:
In fact I think that look really suits the subject and if it wasn't contrived then it was a very lucky accident.

No need for a reshoot in my opinion either, although the top right corner could maybe do with a bit of work to one down the highlights. I just wish that I could come up with something like this in 2 minutes flat while cooking dinner at the same time.

Thanks, Sarah, you're very kind. But I have to say, the dinner wasn't wonderful - but by then we were both starving hungry! :LOL:

Not one of your best shots Jean but its on theme and I like the way you have aged it and the soft focus.

Thanks Sue. Some weeks are much harder than others, aren't they. :)

Jean

It's been a busy week for me - leaving home at 7.15 in the morning and arriving back too shattered to even think about my 52. My one hope was the dogs, who are always willing to find muddy puddles - a Dirty Dog would do very nicely, thank you. ;)

Well, I tried:

but wasn't quick enough! Grrrr .... :thumbsdown: I know that's a **** shot ...

... but you can see Rusty was definitely getting dirty, can't you? :cautious:

So (pauses to get out crowbar) here is my shot for this week,

"Was very dirty, but now cleaned up":

... and if you think that doesn't even look like the same dog - you're right! Rusty wasn't going to lose his street cred by being photographed in a towel, but his brother and stunt man, Clyde, obliged in return for extra cuddles. :D

C & C most welcome, as usual, and I'll try and catch up on other people's threads in the next day or two. :)

Jean

Not quite with the first, but what a beautiful portrait of Clyde. I'll take your word for it that he was dirty :)

Hi Jean, pity about the first shot. It had the makings of a really dirty photo.

I love the photo of Clyde. It's a gorgeous shot - lovely composition and treatment, and a nice glint in his eye. Huge crowbar, though. As Darren said, we will have to take your word for it.

Jenny

Absolutlye gorgeous portrait of Clyde - what a performer! That pose and expression in his eye shows him to be a real star. I'm quite sure he gets himself very dirty at times so don't think you need much of a crowbar. It is a stunning shot - well done! :clap::clap:

Yup - lovely B&W portrait of Clyde!

Phil

Project - I like your first image, its kind of an abstract take on the theme. Without the second image I wouldn't have known what it was.

Film - I like your DoF and crop on this. I also like what you have done with the colours.

Dirty - Nice interpretation on the theme and dedication allowing your dog to get filthy for the shoot (not that you could stop it :)), I hope he recognises they have made it as a model now! I actually like your first image, I recognise the dog was moving but I still like it. A very nice portrait in the second image.

Not quite with the first, but what a beautiful portrait of Clyde. I'll take your word for it that he was dirty :)

Thanks Darren. He wasn't really dirty, tbh, but he might have been if he'd seen the same puddle as Rusty! :LOL:

Hi Jean, pity about the first shot. It had the makings of a really dirty photo.

I love the photo of Clyde. It's a gorgeous shot - lovely composition and treatment, and a nice glint in his eye. Huge crowbar, though. As Darren said, we will have to take your word for it.

Jenny

Thank, Jenny. The dogs are nearly 10 years old and I've probably only got about 5 or 6 really good shots of Rusty! Action shots defeat me every time - he's tiny and fast, and hates the camera. By the time I'm lying full length on the floor to get a good angle he's gone. :bang:

Absolutlye gorgeous portrait of Clyde - what a performer! That pose and expression in his eye shows him to be a real star. I'm quite sure he gets himself very dirty at times so don't think you need much of a crowbar. It is a stunning shot - well done! :clap::clap:

Thank Tracer - I'm glad you like it. He's a real poser. :)

Yup - lovely B&W portrait of Clyde!

Phil

Thank you Phil - it looked much better in b&w than colour! :)

The cleaned up shot is a cracker so we will forgive you for not getting the shot you wanted. I've got a dog who always manages to find the mucky puddles and the worst bits.

Thank you Chris. Your dog sounds just like Rusty, then. They can come back from a walk with Rusty needing a bath and Clyde not even needing his paws wiped! :LOL:

aaaw Clyde is soo cute! You had a good try at catching Rusty too.

Thanks JL. Rusty is very much an on-going photographic project! :D

Project - I like your first image, its kind of an abstract take on the theme. Without the second image I wouldn't have known what it was.

Film - I like your DoF and crop on this. I also like what you have done with the colours.

Dirty - Nice interpretation on the theme and dedication allowing your dog to get filthy for the shoot (not that you could stop it :)), I hope he recognises they have made it as a model now! I actually like your first image, I recognise the dog was moving but I still like it. A very nice portrait in the second image.

Thank you for your lovely comments, Rick. I was pleased the Project shot worked in the way I wanted it to.

Dirty dogs are a fact of life in the New Forest! :eek:

Jean

The first looks to have just missed, which is a shame... but sure looks like Rusty was getting down in the mud... That's a lovely doggie portrait of Clyde though... as for Was Dirty... it's a bit of a stretch from the image...

However... if you were laying down to get a dogs eye view of Rusty... in all that mud ... perhaps an SP would have worked really well :D...

Two cute doggy pics. The clean dog, wrapped up in a towel is lovely."Was dirty" just about fits the theme.

Thanks Sue. Sometimes you just have to stretch the theme a bit! :LOL:

The first looks to have just missed, which is a shame... but sure looks like Rusty was getting down in the mud... That's a lovely doggie portrait of Clyde though... as for Was Dirty... it's a bit of a stretch from the image...

However... if you were laying down to get a dogs eye view of Rusty... in all that mud ... perhaps an SP would have worked really well :D...

Thanks, John. :) I was cross with myself for not getting a good shot of Rusty in the mud, but an SP of me rolling in the mud to get the shot would have given earned me an instant ban from the Mods. :rules: :LOL:

Jean

Lovely portrait of your wee pooch Jean. I will take your word for it that it was dirty :cautious: :LOL:. Whats a little crowbar between togging friends eh?
Iain

Well, I tried, I really tried this week. With all the lousy weather we're having I thought a Raging Sea would be easy-peasy. And I prepared - I checked the weather reports, the tide timetables, the inshore forecasts, sunrise and sunset times, the coastal reports, even the shipping reports and made an informed decision that early afternoon today would be the best chance of getting a shot of a raging sea, without exposing my camera to torrential rain. High tides were too early or too late in the day, so my preferred idea of waves crashing against a sea wall was dead in the water. :eek: :LOL:

Plan B was to get the incoming tide crashing against the groynes on Mudeford beach.

Version 1:

Version 2:

My raging sea turned out to be more of a slightly irritable sea. :help: :) Please feel free to crit both of these - neither are quite what I'd hoped for. :( :)

Jean

Definitely the black and white. Allows you to get bags of contrast in there to show off all the spray and foam. A little disappointed by the crop on it though, I want to see more!

I like the B&W one too. Crop does feel a little tight especially at the top .. feels like some of the spray is missing. I really like all the detail in the spray though.

Back