jeangenie's 52 for 2010 - Week 26 Beginnings

Week1- Great Composition and Interesting find. I love the way the ice shines in the sun, must not have lasted too long, so great shot.

Week2-Now this is more appealing to the eye. Sure has made me hungry so you have done something right :D Composition is again good, although did you try it from different perspectives? I Really like this image.

Week3- Excellent. Very humorous and comical. The lighting on this is very good, i dont usually agree with shadows but the vague shadow adds to the picture for me. Great choice of PP for the sepia look. It has worked very well

Looking forward to your week 4 image

Thanks for all the lovely comments, Stephen. Is really appreciate it. Week 2 - no I didn't try different perspectives - I was in a hurry! - but you're quite right, and I really must make sure I do check out all the options. This is one of the things I like about this challenge - it makes me think and hopefully do better next time. :)

:LOL:... very good and very clever Jean, love the expression on his little face... It works very well for me, lighting, mood etc. good spot on the shadows Sarah... I missed those.

Thank you very kindly, John. I was very cruel, because the expression wasn't expert direction from me - it was a lump of blue tac in his mouth! :confused: Some people are prepared to do anything to get the shot they want!!! :naughty:

Jean

Thanks for all the lovely comments, Stephen. Is really appreciate it. Week 2 - no I didn't try different perspectives - I was in a hurry! - but you're quite right, and I really must make sure I do check out all the options. This is one of the things I like about this challenge - it makes me think and hopefully do better next time. :)
Jean

Exactly, thats why im trying it this year. The ones who try new things and reach out of their comfort zones, for me are the ones who improve (y)

Keep up the good work :p

hi there. been looking through your first shots so here we go...

curved...i agree with what some others have said, a bit more DoF would have been nice but thats about it. a stunning, beautiful image very well captured.

poetry... very well worked and well lit. a slightly lower angle would have been good but love it all the same.

chopped... made me laugh:LOL::LOL::LOL: fits the title well, nice lighting and i really like the background shadow too

look forward to seeing the rest.

Exactly, thats why im trying it this year. The ones who try new things and reach out of their comfort zones, for me are the ones who improve (y)

Keep up the good work :p

Thanks Stephen. You too :)

Jean

hi there. been looking through your first shots so here we go...

curved...i agree with what some others have said, a bit more DoF would have been nice but thats about it. a stunning, beautiful image very well captured.

poetry... very well worked and well lit. a slightly lower angle would have been good but love it all the same.

chopped... made me laugh:LOL::LOL::LOL: fits the title well, nice lighting and i really like the background shadow too

look forward to seeing the rest.

Thanks, Paul - you're very kind, so I hope I don't disappoint. Week 4 was a bit of a challenge! :)

Jean

er have I missed something?
I don't see week 4 picture!?! :shrug::help:

This 52 certainly throws up some challenges - not the least of which was getting out and getting my head round street photography in the freezing cold. To add to the discomfort, guess who decided she really, really must make it a night shot to take advantage of all those lovely lights!!! :bang:

With no time to go to a big city in search of some real, live urban street life (phew! :)) I opted for a night-time visit to our village. By 10.30 on a cold January night, it's pretty deserted apart from parked cars here and there. But we are lucky enough to have a wonderful traditional, old-fashioned, sell-everything ironmongers with lots of its wares on show in the window. It just so happens the shop is called 'STREETS' after a one-time owner, so I took the liberty of amending the theme slightly :eek: and here it is:

Unfortunately, the only angle I could get the whole shop in was on top of a grassy bank and I failed to control the flare from the right-hand window and at that angle no matter what I did, something didn't look quite straight. :bang: I tried a few shots from other angles but parked cars obscured the view. Grrr ....

I'll post a couple of different parts of the village later/tomorrow, but I wanted to get a shot in on time (my rules!). Thanks for looking. :)

Jean

I quite like that :clap:
Took me a few seconds to spot the shop name :)

just needs Arkwright outside and G-G-G-Granville with his c-c-c-cloth

is it my imagination but do you have a hot (red) pixel top leftish?

Well done on braving the cold Jean.
I was absolutely freezing when I went out for my shot yesterday and that was in the day!
Great spot with the shop name too . . . did you have that in mind as soon as the theme was drawn or was it last minute inspiration?

Something very interesting about this one. I love the random way everything is piled up in the window - I want to keep looking to try to work out whats in there. There are not many shops like that around any more.

And I think that you've controlled the lighting very well. I really like the contrast of the cold shop window lighting against the warm upstairs lights.

I spotted that too, but I think it's the light on the burglar alarm :LOL:
Could maybe do with cloning out though :shrug:

Good spot Jean.

If you had taken this in daylight it may have just looked like a snapshot.

Shame about the blown highlights on the right hand window but a good shot all the same.

that's good .. I like a good ironmonger's full of things you didn't know you needed and you have got all the detail of the goods in the window.

I quite like that :clap:
Took me a few seconds to spot the shop name :)

just needs Arkwright outside and G-G-G-Granville with his c-c-c-cloth

Thanks, Mike. The upside of doing a day-time shot of this would be all the goods piled up outside on the pavement! Very Open All Hours! But an absolute treasure trove and the owners are helpful with it! I think the 'hot pixel' is actually the burglar alarm - it's only on one other shot I took there, and those taken around the village were ok. :)

Well done on braving the cold Jean.
I was absolutely freezing when I went out for my shot yesterday and that was in the day!
Great spot with the shop name too . . . did you have that in mind as soon as the theme was drawn or was it last minute inspiration? It was pre-planned inspiration - but Mr JG's rather than mine! :LOL:

Something very interesting about this one. I love the random way everything is piled up in the window - I want to keep looking to try to work out whats in there. There are not many shops like that around any more. I would have liked to get more detail, but there were cars in the way!

And I think that you've controlled the lighting very well. I really like the contrast of the cold shop window lighting against the warm upstairs lights.

I spotted that too, but I think it's the light on the burglar alarm :LOL:
Could maybe do with cloning out though :shrug: I should have spotted (pun not intended!) it. :LOL:

Good spot Jean.

If you had taken this in daylight it may have just looked like a snapshot.

Shame about the blown highlights on the right hand window but a good shot all the same.

Thanks, Andy - glad you like it. :)

that's good .. I like a good ironmonger's full of things you didn't know you needed and you have got all the detail of the goods in the window.

You can get pretty much anything there - I don't know why B&Q stores are so large. :LOL:

Jean

What a lovely shop - "they don't come like that any more..."

You have done pretty well with the lighting and I love the way there is plenty for the eye to roam around in.

I hope you rewarded yourself with some hot chocolate afterwards! :D

On first look it reminded me of Open all hours and thought..... I work about 100 yards from where the shop was filmed :D. The shop sign is perfect for the theme :LOL:.

(y)

I like the story, you can see the darkness of the shop behind the window display, a display that is so crammed full of anything you could possibly want to buy in a hardware shop (and probably more besides). Then there is the orange window above where the owners are finishing the day after closing the shop.

Personally I find there's a little too much black nothingness to the right of the image, but other than that I like it.

i really like that, i like the differece between the harsh white store lights and the soft orange light of the upstairs

don't know why but it makes me think of roxanne by the police

Great play on the theme. The jumble in the windows reminds me of Where's Wally\Waldo. You can't help but try and identify what's there. :LOL:

If only this was a staged shot as then you could of had a silhouetted pair in embrace in the upstairs windows. ;)

good interpretation of the theme.. like the arkwright comment, a figure like him in the doorway would have been perfect :)

Nice one Jean, you made a good effort of another difficult theme unless your brave enough to poke your camera in a strangers face.....Mick

Very good Jean, an excellent interpretation and well shot too...

As for shooting from a grassy knoll :D...

Liking that one a great deal. The upstairs lights really make the shot's composition. :)

As for shooting from a grassy knoll :D... hahahaha John

I agree with John that it's an excellent interpretation and I like the different shades of light. I don't see it as a cheat at all, it's another creative idea from you (Whatever MrJG says :D) :clap::clap:

:love: aawwww, the pure nostalgia of seeing a proper old ironmongers shop [like any traditional style/type shop still left amongst the modern sprawl] cannot be beaten. I am not even going to comment on the techical side jean, just thankyou for a lovely little trip down my own personal memory lane (y)

Damn I'm late :(

Poem: Love it - great shot and a great poem and thanks for the link - nice to hear one!

Chopped: Argggh thats cruel - great set up and inventive stuff - I would prefer a touch more contrast but thats me :) I hope he survived! (And another good poem :))

Street: Lovely - atmospheric and old fashioned :) Thats very evocative of times gone by! I like!

Street:

Who would of thought that car would get in the way of a street shot, hey? :LOL: Two things happen when I look at this photo (and I wish we could see larger images linked in to the posts...), first I am curious to see what is int he windows downstairs... lots to try and see, and then I notice the upstairs, and there is an immediate contrast. Downstairs is open to see everything, upstairs is private. So now I want to know what is going on behind the curtains! :thinking: Me an my overactive imagination... :) OK, so the angle could not be improved... these things happen, but you did think to try it. (y) As someone mentioned, the cropping of the wide black space on the right may help a bit? :shrug: Overall, I like it though.

I've been struggling to keep up with my own thread this week - and haven't visited many of the Streets posted for Week 4. I'll try and catch up soon.

i really like that, i like the differece between the harsh white store lights and the soft orange light of the upstairs

don't know why but it makes me think of roxanne by the police

Thanks, Richard. Roxanne? I never thoght of that, but tbh, there's aren't many red lights in our village. lol

Great play on the theme. The jumble in the windows reminds me of Where's Wally\Waldo. You can't help but try and identify what's there.

If only this was a staged shot as then you could of had a silhouetted pair in embrace in the upstairs windows.

Thanks, Steve. Where's Wally is just about right when you're scanning the window to try and find something. I should have asked the owners to pose in the window. lol !

good interpretation of the theme.. like the arkwright comment, a figure like him in the doorway would have been perfect

Thanks, Michelle. I could have god Mr JG to pose - damm, I didn't think of that! :)

As for shooting from a grassy knoll ...

Hehehe - I did actually type 'grassy knoll' but then changed it to 'bank' in case the FBI decided to re-open a long-closed case. :LOL:

aawwww, the pure nostalgia of seeing a proper old ironmongers shop [like any traditional style/type shop still left amongst the modern sprawl] cannot be beaten. I am not even going to comment on the techical side jean, just thankyou for a lovely little trip down my own personal memory lane

Yvonne - you're most welcome, I'm glad you enjoyed it. And there's not much modern sprawl in our village, apart from a certain ubitquitous Express supermarket.

Well done with this one, Jean. I really like the play on the theme "Streets in the Street".

Jenny

Thanks, Jenny. It should have been a sweet shop then it could have been called Sweets for the Sweet in Streets in the Street .... or shall I just shut up!

What a lovely shop - "they don't come like that any more..."

You have done pretty well with the lighting and I love the way there is plenty for the eye to roam around in.

I hope you rewarded yourself with some hot chocolate afterwards!

Thanks, Tracer. I certainly rewarded both myself and Mr JG when we got home - with a hot toddy! It was sooooooo cold. :D

On first look it reminded me of Open all hours and thought..... I work about 100 yards from where the shop was filmed . The shop sign is perfect for the theme.

Thanks, Scott. The original would have been even better provided we changed the name. :)

I like the story, you can see the darkness of the shop behind the window display, a display that is so crammed full of anything you could possibly want to buy in a hardware shop (and probably more besides). Then there is the orange window above where the owners are finishing the day after closing the shop.

Personally I find there's a little too much black nothingness to the right of the image, but other than that I like it.

Thank, Ben. I did try cropping on the right, but then I decided I liked the feeling of nothing around it. But I take you point. :)

I quite like your street pic. Shows character, shows humanity without showing people, I like it

Many thanks, Nattelie - you're very kind.

Nice one Jean, you made a good effort of another difficult theme unless your brave enough to poke your camera in a strangers face.....Mick

Hehehe - there aren't enough strangers round here at this time of the year. But next time ... ;)

Liking that one a great deal. The upstairs lights really make the shot's composition.

Thanks, Keri - I did try cropping the upstairs out but I liked the contrast, too.

I agree with John that it's an excellent interpretation and I like the different shades of light. I don't see it as a cheat at all, it's another creative idea from you (Whatever MrJG says)

Thanks, Jill. I'll settle for 'creative', then. :LOL:

Damn I'm late :( No worries!

Poem: Love it - great shot and a great poem and thanks for the link - nice to hear one! Thanks, John.

Chopped: Argggh thats cruel - great set up and inventive stuff - I would prefer a touch more contrast but thats me I hope he survived! (And another good poem) I usually go for more contrast than this, but I wanted the 'dull dark' aspect to come through. Makes a change, I suppose. :)

Street: Lovely - atmospheric and old fashioned Thats very evocative of times gone by! I like! Awwwww - thanks.

Street:

Who would of thought that car would get in the way of a street shot, hey? Damm - silly me. :bonk::LOL:

Two things happen when I look at this photo (and I wish we could see larger images linked in to the posts...),It's in my gallery, here, if you want a peep: http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=77832 first I am curious to see what is int he windows downstairs... lots to try and see, and then I notice the upstairs, and there is an immediate contrast. Downstairs is open to see everything, upstairs is private. So now I want to know what is going on behind the curtains! Me an my overactive imagination... OK, so the angle could not be improved... these things happen, but you did think to try it. As someone mentioned, the cropping of the wide black space on the right may help a bit? Overall, I like it though.

Thanks, Kev - I'm glad you like it - and I've aroused your curiosity. (y)

Jean

As usual, I left this shot until the last day, but I did have an excuse - I needed the engine driver's help. ;)

Mr JG is a Meccano enthusiast and found this little Mamod steam engine crying out for renovation. It may not be the fastest 'Speed' shot this week, but I was quite chuffed with it (I thought I'd say that, to save someone else the embarrassment! :LOL:)

And we were both chuffed to find that it actually works: :D

DSC_0517LR.jpg
[/url]

and can even get a bit of steam up: :)

With hindsight (my most useful photographic skill :LOL:) the steam would have looked better on a black background - but I haven't got one large enough. :)

Anyway, I hope to be able to show you the fully renovated, gleaming engine before the end of this year's 52!! No pressure, Mr JG! :LOL:

As always, all comments welcome. :)

Jean

I didn't realise it was steam in the first shot I just thought the quality wasn't as good as the first one, ha ha. You're right, the second one would have looked better on black. Still both very good images and I'm looking forward to seeing it get restored to glory.

Lovely shot Jean and a lovely story to go with it.
Now you're going to have to go out and get a bigger dark b/g, because I really want to see that when it's fully restored and I agree that the steam would show up better against something darker.

Of the two that you've posted, my vote goes to the first one. Only because it looks crisper against the white. I don't know how you always manage to get your white b/gs so perfect. I find black easy, but white I always struggle with :shrug:

Really vibrant colours, good sharp shot and I love the motion blur going on with the wheel :clap:

I've just realised that I haven't dropped into your personal project for a while (sorry). I'll have to hunt it down again.

Thats a new take on the theme, would have loved to see it running. You have captured it very well, it looks like something you would find Fred Dibnah working on(loved watching Fred as a small boy and an adult)

(y)

Back