jeangenie's Growing Project for 2010: Wk 25 Foxglove Fever

Name
Jean
Edit My Images
Yes
Wk 1 The New Forest under Snow, Wk 2 Anticipation, Wk 3 Hello, Heather, Wk4 New Life, Wk5 Tulip Mania, Wk 6 Inside/Outside?, Wk 7 A Horse in the Bush!, Wk 8 Sunflower Fantasia, Wk 9 Iris Reticulata, Wk 10 Last year/This year, Wk 11 Lichen, Gorse and Rain, Wk 12 Daffodils, Wk 13 Rain, rain go away! Wk 14 What a difference a week makes, Wk 15 Eggardon Hill ... plus, Wk 16 "Neigh"-bourhood Dispute, Wk 17 Down by the Riverside, Wk 18 Green Haze, Wk 19 Blackbird Family Week, Wk 20 Wild in Menorca, Wk 21 A Ray of Sunshine, Wk 22 Good or Bad? Wk 23 Busy, busy, busy, Wk 24 Pony, Wk 25 Foxglove fever ... to be continued in new thread for Week 26.

Alongside my themed 52 for this year, I've decided to do a 'Personal' 52. I'm still not quite sure what form it will take and envisage it evolving depending on what the year throws at me - ie I might make the rules up as I go along! :D

My basic aim is to 'get it right in camera' as far as possible, ie little or no pp, and given I can chose the subject I've got no excuse. :LOL: The general theme will be based around the garden, the allotment and the New Forest in general - hence the 'Growing' in the project title. I hope it will also help me 'grow' my togging skills so I'd be grateful for any advice, help or feedback.

So, here's Week 1: The New Forest under Snow

For those of you who don't know the New Forest in Hampshire, it's the country's smallest National Park and is home to a unique set of flora and fauna. 'Forest' conjures up images of dense woodland, but in fact an important part of the New Forest is the open grassy areas (called 'lawns') and boggy peaty areas. So this is a fairly typical view, but under a blanket of rare snow it takes on a new look. I've lived here for about 25 years and never seen 'proper' snow until now.

Your c&c will help me learn, so please don't hesitate to say what you think. :)

Jean

Last edited:
I really like this Jean.

The only slight niggle is that the snowline falls pretty much in the centre of the frame. May be worth looking at a crop top or bottom to get it on a third?

I must admit I often forget about the rule of thirds when composing my shots then wonder what it is that niggles me about them.

The people add to the shot but again, are bang in the centre.

Thanks for the suggestion, Andy. I've tried several different crops, including a couple of 'panoramics', and this is the best I can come up with:

Is it better, even though the people are now marching out of the frame? It makes you realise why landscape photographers spend hours getting a shot! :LOL:

Jean

I loke the crop :) nice shot, some of the spots looking a little bright to me, not quite blown, but a little too 'there' hard to explain.
But more than likely my screen :p

Look forward to following your project!

Hi Jean,

Well done on getting your project off the ground :clap:
I'm still thinking about mine. My first idea fell through, due to lost props and I have no idea what I want to do instead.
I wasn't going to be as strict as one a week though, so there's still time for me to start something :thinking:

I love the idea for this project and your first shot is just beautiful :love:
I'm struggling to decide between the 2 versions. Although the 2nd one has more impact, I like the open feel of the first one and I think I prefer the positioning of the 2 figures in the first, even if they are a bit central. You did brilliantly to catch them right on the horizon.

I have to say that both versions work well for me. Very pretty and calming and the eye is drawn nicely around the frame whichever way it's cropped.

Jean, that's a Christmas card waiting to happen :clap::clap:

and I think a simple panoramic crop just losing a bit of the sky would be the perfect compromise as I like the sense of movement from the people in the middle of the shot. Contrast looks fine on my screen. :clap::clap:

Hi Jean,

I am so pleased to have found your thread. I will definitely be following it regularly.

I really like the first one. The 2 people make the picture and I think the fact that they are slap bang in the centre of the picture makes it more interesting. Sometimes breaking the rules makes a shot less ordinary!

Jenny

Hi Jean, what a great shot, its beautiful! I live in bournemouth and am always venturing over to the forest but never seen it under snow like this! Shame i missed it!! Welldone on capturing a fab picture :D

Ah the alternative project :) well you're ahead of me....2nd version for me with the couple off centre works best...snows a tiny bit bright on my screen but its a lovely scene nonetheless - love to see it again in spring and summer :)

Good start :) cant wait for this thread to grow :)

Very nice Jean, I'm undecided on the first one, but the crop works.

I loke the crop nice shot, some of the spots looking a little bright to me, not quite blown, but a little too 'there' hard to explain. No, shorty, it's not your screen - the sun was very bright and I should have used a filter (I think!) and my pp skills aren't up to sorting it!
But more than likely my screen :p

Look forward to following your project! Thanks, I think I've got an idea for this week!

Hi Jean,

Well done on getting your project off the ground :LOL:Thank you, Sarah
I'm still thinking about mine. My first idea fell through, due to lost props and I have no idea what I want to do instead. Inspiration often comes when you least expect it. Answering the question "What would you want to achieve with a personal project?" might help, eg, improving technical knowledge, photos way outside your comfort zone, a theme you're interested in, a particular photographic technique, eg macros.
I wasn't going to be as strict as one a week though, so there's still time for me to start something
Good luck with getting it off the ground - I'll definitely follow it!

I love the idea for this project and your first shot is just beautiful
I'm struggling to decide between the 2 versions. Although the 2nd one has more impact, I like the open feel of the first one and I think I prefer the positioning of the 2 figures in the first, even if they are a bit central. You did brilliantly to catch them right on the horizon. Thanks. They'd walked past me a few minutes earlier and the lady had been startled by my (very small) dogs - so I was keeping an eye on them.

I have to say that both versions work well for me. Very pretty and calming and the eye is drawn nicely around the frame whichever way it's cropped.

Jean, that's a Christmas card waiting to happen Thanks, Jill. With all the snow around, I should have one somewhere!

and I think a simple panoramic crop just losing a bit of the sky would be the perfect compromise as I like the sense of movement from the people in the middle of the shot. Contrast looks fine on my screen. Thanks, I'll try a crop to the sky when I get a minute.

Hi Jean,

I am so pleased to have found your thread. I will definitely be following it regularly. Thank you jennyb - I hope you're not disappointed.

I really like the first one. The 2 people make the picture and I think the fact that they are slap bang in the centre of the picture makes it more interesting. Sometimes breaking the rules makes a shot less ordinary! I like to think so, but I wasn't sure if I'd broken the rules in a worthy cause, or not!

Jenny

Hi Jean, what a great shot, its beautiful! I live in bournemouth and am always venturing over to the forest but never seen it under snow like this! Shame i missed it!! Welldone on capturing a fab picture :D
Thanks. What parts of the Forest do you come to. There's still quite a bit of snow, but it doesn't look so fresh and clean now! I hope you don't have to wait 25 years for the next good snowfall!

Ah the alternative project :) well you're ahead of me....2nd version for me with the couple off centre works best...snows a tiny bit bright on my screen but its a lovely scene nonetheless - love to see it again in spring and summer :) Thanks John. It should look good in spring, but by summer it'll look brown and featureless I'm afraid!

Good start :) cant wait for this thread to grow :) :LOL:Thanks.

Very nice Jean, I'm undecided on the first one, but the crop works.
Thanks, John. And thanks for looking, too. This forum is soooo busy now!

I really appreciate the comments, folks. :)

Jean

Well, I've made it to Week 2 with this project - but only just! I had to wait until Sunday morning to get a bright sunny day for this one. So I've made it by my self-imposed Sunday night deadline - Wheeeew :eek:

This is the time of year when I (like lots of other gardeners, I expect) are keen to get out and start planting seeds, bringing on cuttings or generally planning for the spring. For me - the eternal optimist - spring is always just around the corner - despite the fact it says 'January' on the calendar!

So this week I've tried to convey the impression of that eager anticipation of longer and warmer days, fresh new leaves appearing on shrubs and trees and - best of all - tiny little seedlings pushing up through the soil. I enjoy sowing seeds and tending the baby plants, in the hope that they will be grateful enough to give us abundant fruit and vegetables later in the year. So, in my greenhouse today, are piles of pots and packets of seed just waiting for the right time for planting, and my greenhouse notebook to mull over last year's successes and failures. :)

Week 2: Anticipation:

Photographically, I took an easy option, with my nifty fifty at 7.1f, and minimal pp - levels, cropping, usm and resizing. Looking at it now, though I think maybe it could do with a bit of a contrast boost.

I've tried to compose so that the eye travel round the picture - please tell me if I've got it all wrong. ;)

After all the awful weather I can't complain about bright sunlight, so I decided the shadow on the notebook would have to stay and I've kidded myself it looks suitably spring-like!

Any comments are welcomed, and thank you for looking.

Jean

Oooh Very good! I like it, I love the colours and all the different things there, yet they all compliment eachother! Very good! :clap:

There's a lot going on in there Jean and my eyes are drawn all around the picture. It could be messy but the composition works really well. I especially like the notebook and don't think it needs a boost at all. The dappled sun gives the whole picture a sense of realism so it doesn't look so 'set up'.

And, my goodness you are organised :D

This picture does what it says on the tin :clap::clap:

Oh, Jean, I love it. There is so much "implied" action for such a static shot. The composition is just right and the shadow across the notebook really makes it IMO. It shows that the sun is shining outside and meaning it is nearly time for planting.

This is going to be a great thread. Well done.

Jenny

Oooh Very good! I like it, I love the colours and all the different things there, yet they all compliment eachother! Very good! :clap:

Aww - thanks Shorty. I really appreciate that. :)

There's a lot going on in there Jean and my eyes are drawn all around the picture. It could be messy but the composition works really well. Thanks Jill. I tried several different compositions and wanted to fill the frame with interest if I could. I especially like the notebook and don't think it needs a boost at all. The dappled sun gives the whole picture a sense of realism so it doesn't look so 'set up'. :LOL:I ordered it specially! :)

And, my goodness you are organised :D Not really - that's a bit deceptive - and I have to keep a log or I'd never remember what worked and what didn't! :D

This picture does what it says on the tin :clap::clap:

Oh, Jean, I love it. There is so much "implied" action for such a static shot. The composition is just right and the shadow across the notebook really makes it IMO. It shows that the sun is shining outside and meaning it is nearly time for planting. Thank you, Jenny - that's really kind of you. I must admit I'm dying to start sowing. :)

This is going to be a great thread. Well done. There's no pressure then! :) I'm really enjoying the freedom of chosing the topic for the week - that's until I have a complete ideas failure. :(

Jenny

Thanks for looking

Jean

When I decided on this personal project, I realised that the end of winter was going to be hard - getting out in the cold and rain is bad enough, without trying to find something to take a photo of. :(

My mojo was at a decidedly low ebb all week, but the weather improved slightly today and a walk round the garden lead me to a large old Heather. She's a grand old girl but every summer when she's a dull dreary green I threaten to recycle her on the compost heap, but then remember that when winter is still biting hard, she puts a brave face on it and bursts into a mass of flowers.

So, on this chilly, dull and miserble week, please say 'Hello' to Heather:

All comments (good and bad!) welcome, and thanks for looking. :)

Jean

Hi Jean,

This is a lovely colourful photo to cheer up these dull days. Heather is quite amazing when you see it close up. I also have some heather flowering at the minute. I deliberately chose winter flowering varieties for a bit of colour in the winter. Also, an added bonus is that the deer don't eat it!

I love the background gradient on your photo, but personally I would have preferred just a bit more DOF.

Well done with this one.

Jenny

Hi Jenny - I agree winter flowering heather is brilliant for cheering up the garden in January! I've also got some white heather just opening.

I was undecided about which shot to use this week, so here's one with more dof for you. Thanks for your comments. :)

Hope you like it. :)

Jean

Definitely the second one for me Jean (y)

Fortunately I don't have the same problems as you with a winter garden :LOL:

All my geraniums are still out (y)

Although today we are having a massive thunderstorm which has been going on for a few hours now, with tons of rain, and it keeps knocking my internet out :(

Good thing about rain here though is it tends to dump it all in 24 hours rather than hang around for days. I reckon we've had a couple of inches so far :eek:, but we had the wettest December on 30 years and there's now enough water to last for the next 2 years. It has ended 5 years of official drought :D

It's so dark today I'm snuggled up in bed with my lappy (so what's new you might say :LOL:)

Jill

I think I prefer this one, Jean.

Jenny

Thanks, Jenny - glad you like it. :)

Definitely the second one for me Jean

Fortunately I don't have the same problems as you with a winter garden :LOL:

All my geraniums are still out (y) :razz::razz::razz::)

Although today we are having a massive thunderstorm which has been going on for a few hours now, with tons of rain, and it keeps knocking my internet out :(

Good thing about rain here though is it tends to dump it all in 24 hours rather than hang around for days. I reckon we've had a couple of inches so far :eek:, but we had the wettest December on 30 years and there's now enough water to last for the next 2 years. It has ended 5 years of official drought That sounds an awesome amount of rain - but if you can look forward to 2 years of sunshine without worrying about water, it can't be bad

It's so dark today I'm snuggled up in bed with my lappy (so what's new you might say :LOL:) It sound a good place to be. It was -3C here first thing today - even the dogs weren't keen on going out. :LOL:

Jill

Thank for commenting Jenny and Jill - it's hard to keep track of everybody, isn't it. I really appreciate it, especially since I know this project won't be of much interest to a lot of people. :)

Jean

I'm just catching up with your project now - so many threads to look at!

The first one in the snow is nice but the snow is a bit too bright.

The second, "anticipation" is much better - very nice arrangement of shapes and colours, and I can really identify with it Though not nearly as organised as you - I haven't got any seeds in yet, though in this part of the world spring is a LOT later!

The heather is gorgeous! I much prefer the first one which is so lovely and dreamy! :love:

A great start to your project! :clap::clap::clap:

Oh.. you're going great guns over here Jean..

Anticipation... I can feel you're ready to get out there and planting... very good

I do like the first heather shot, and quite like the narrow DOF... The second is also very good.

I'm just catching up with your project now - so many threads to look at!

The first one in the snow is nice but the snow is a bit too bright.

The second, "anticipation" is much better - very nice arrangement of shapes and colours, and I can really identify with it Though not nearly as organised as you - I haven't got any seeds in yet, though in this part of the world spring is a LOT later! I don't know what, if anything I gain by starting seeds off early, but it's satisfying to see a few little seedlings sprouting in January! :)

The heather is gorgeous! I much prefer the first one which is so lovely and dreamy! :love: Thanks very much. I love playing with close-ups and shallow dof - but it doesn't always come out as I'd wish!

A great start to your project! :clap::clap::clap:

Oh.. you're going great guns over here Jean..

Anticipation... I can feel you're ready to get out there and planting... very good ... and paddling about in boggy soil! :LOL:

I do like the first heather shot, and quite like the narrow DOF... The second is also very good.

Glad you like the Heather, John. Thanks very much for looking. :)

Jean

What a great thread!

Anticipation: It triggered that exact same feeling in me to be honest. The need to get out with a shovel and dig the veg patch over. No need to weed though with chickens! The only pp I'd add to that would be a levels/contrast/burn over the words in your diary to make them a bit more legible.

Heather: Prefer the 1st shot by a long way. Lovely colours, DoF, and the composition.

Is there a theme beginning here documenting the garden over a year?

Ian.

What a great thread!

Anticipation: It triggered that exact same feeling in me to be honest. The need to get out with a shovel and dig the veg patch over. No need to weed though with chickens! The only pp I'd add to that would be a levels/contrast/burn over the words in your diary to make them a bit more legible. Hehehe - it would need a rewrite to make them legible! But I take your point :)

Heather: Prefer the 1st shot by a long way. Lovely colours, DoF, and the composition.

Is there a theme beginning here documenting the garden over a year?

Ian.

Thank you very much Ian - I really appreciate your comments. :) As to the theme - yes, my original idea was to take photos of anything growing in and around here - I have a garden, (small and boring!) a greenhouse and an allotment full of reeds and docks - sadly though, no chickens!.

I did the 52 last year (and again this year!!) and some of my most enjoyable shots were those in the natural environment, so I thought I'd do a second project this year concentrating on the New Forest and my own weed patches, ie anything that grows. I'm going to the Hampshire Potato Day tomorrow (well, actually, later today!) and hope to get this week's shot there! I'm hoping to find some interesting varieties to try out on the allotment, and I'm sure I'll find something to photograph! :)

Jean

I'm glad to see the end of January - it's been a long, cold month with no incentive to get out of doors and stand around taking photos. :crying:

But, tiny new plant lives are starting - admittedly under the protection of a heated propagator - and my photo for Week 4 is a newly emerging seedling as it pushes its way into the world. The end of winter in in sight. (y) :)

It will - hopefully - grow into a crisp green lettuce! :)

Jean

Hi Jean, I love your new shoots. Spring is not far off now. You will be spoilt for choice for taking photographs when the growing season really gets underway. This photo makes me feel very optimistic after a tough winter.

Jenny

Thanks, Jenny. It will be great to get outside, both for photographs and gardening, without freezing! :)

Love all the shots so far!!

I know what week 2 is like, we have an allotment and im always wanting to get stuff going :LOL:

Thanks, Lisa - you're very kind. I'm always impatient to get started on the new season and I went to the Hampshire Potato day today to get stocked up on seed potatoes and a few other goodies - including white beetroot seed! :LOL: I've never grown it before, so hopefully it will lead to some interesting photos! :)

Jean

Catch up time...

Hi Jean, the 1st heather shot is truely beautiful, the colour is so restful and very pleasing to the eye. Your second shot isn't bad either - excellent stuff.

A touch home gardening, propagating etc., is so rewarding.

I like this shot, the dark BG really complements the seedling so well, is it natural lighting? A well balanced photo.
I can't recall seeing a seedling (and Ive seen a few) so close up before -amazing.

Great stuff Jean :clap::clap:

I love your new shoot. I think it has an almost human expression: "You don't really think you are going to eat me?" :D

Catch up time...

Hi Jean, the 1st heather shot is truely beautiful, the colour is so restful and very pleasing to the eye. Your second shot isn't bad either - excellent stuff.

A touch home gardening, propagating etc., is so rewarding.

I like this shot, the dark BG really complements the seedling so well, is it natural lighting? A well balanced photo.
I can't recall seeing a seedling (and Ive seen a few) so close up before -amazing.

Great stuff Jean :clap::clap:

Thank you very much, Graham. Yes, the seedling shot is natural light in the greenhouse. The 105 macro lens is brilliant - I shot on Aperture priority, at 4.5, iso200 and a bit of a crop and a levels tweak.

I love your new shoot. I think it has an almost human expression: "You don't really think you are going to eat me?" :D

Thanks Tracer, :) but I'm going to feel guilty now when this become a grown-up lettuce. :LOL: Between this and worries about what lies beneath the Basil ... :eek::eek::eek: :LOL:

Jean

What a hopeful picture, the first shoots peeking through in their little incubator.

Nice DoF and you can even see the little hairs on the stems (y)

and now the almond blossom's out :D

Major catch up :)

Anticipation: Very nicely composed - a busy but interesting shot - it tells a story and I like that!

Heather: My fave so far - first is my fave of the two you have presented - dof is great and the colours subtle - very nice :clap:

New Life - hmm two minds - I would have preferred to have seen the tiny plant all alone :) the big brothers on the right distract a bit for me :) Good concept though! :D

What a hopeful picture, the first shoots peeking through in their little incubator.

Nice DoF and you can even see the little hairs on the stems I'll book her in to the beauty salon for waxing when she's a bit bigger. :LOL:

and now the almond blossom's out :D and it's still snowing in parts of the UK. :razz: :)

Major catch up

Anticipation: Very nicely composed - a busy but interesting shot - it tells a story and I like that! Thanks, John, although I haven't actually sown many seeds yet. :LOL:

Heather: My fave so far - first is my fave of the two you have presented - dof is great and the colours subtle - very nice :clap: Thanks - I'm glad you liked that one. Inasmuch as I ever like any of my shots, I was quite pleased with that! ;)

New Life - hmm two minds - I would have preferred to have seen the tiny plant all alone :) the big brothers on the right distract a bit for me Good concept though! :D Aggggghhhhhh - you'd have me murder babies? :eek: :LOL:

Thanks for your comments, I'm way behind in looking at other people's Week 4 (and earlier!) and still have not idea what to do for Speed. :)

Jean

I thought I'd try something a little different this week. There's nothing much happening in the greenhouse, the allotmment's like a mud bath and the Forest has been dull and grey any time I could get out there. A friend gave me a beautiful bunch of tulips, so I decided to play. :)

Tulip Mania gripped Holland in 1637. The tulip bulb became the 'must-have' possession, coveted by rich and poor alike. With growers unable to grow enough bulbs to satisfy the craze (think 'Cabbabe Patch dolls', 'Tamagochis' or 'Buzz Lightyear', and you'll get the idea :LOL:) demand far outstripped supply. Gradually people started issuing promissory notes on the strength of supplying tulip bulbs. These promissory notes were traded as though they were cash, and escalated in value. Inevitably, the bubble burst and people were left bankrupt, with worthless pieces of paper, no bulbs and, of course, no flowers. The subsequent financial downturn would make familiar reading today.

So this week, I offer you a Lotto Jackpot of tulips:

#1 A 'Roll-over' Jackpot of Tulips:

#2 A carefully preserved selection from 1637: ;)

#3 The Holy Grail of Tulips - Black flowers

#4 The Radioactive Tulip :shrug:

#5 The Black and White Tulip:

Well, I did say they were experiments, so please say what you think. :)

:eek::eek::eek:

Jean

Hi Jean,

My favourite is number 1. I don't know whether it is my screen, but looks a bit noisy? I like the depth of field on this one. I think I would have brightened it a bit, too.

My second favourite is number 4 - radioactive. I really like the treatment of this one. But, maybe you could show the original colour version so that we can see how it compares?

Jenny

Back