Jessops returns

Then (with all due respect) show some understanding why providing a SERVICE cost money.
He knows it costs money - he just doesn't accept that he, as the customer, should pay for that service.

He claims the service is of no value to him.

The car analogy is a good one - if you test drive a car in one dealer do you feel compelled to buy it? What if you go away to think about it and find a better value car 10 miles down the road for £3k less?

The test drive isn't comparable. Almost all dealers have demo cars available, its what their staff drive. Not quite the same in a Photography shop!

Sigh - my point is, maybe it should be if they want to compete with online retailers.
but you've admitted that you're not prepared to pay for that service.....and would happily abuse the service and buy elsewhere...where's the incentive for the retailer to offer it?

You recognise it adds value it but has no value to you?
Contradict yourself in one sentence, why don't you?

You definitely want something for nothing.
You're the reason businesses fail - you expect the service but don't accept that you need to pay for it.

I do my own research, I ask nothing of the salespersons expertise - whilst it's a value add for someone that needs it, it isn't one for me. Businesses fail when they're un-competitive and badly run. I am not the reason businesses fail.

No, no I haven't, I haven't admitted that anywhere.

So when you stated that it 'adds no value for you' - that's not an admission that it's a service you're not prepared to pay for?

If you were prepared to pay for the service you wouldn't expect the retailer to price match against suppliers that do not offer the same service.

I do my own research, I ask nothing of the salespersons expertise - whilst it's a value add for someone that needs it, it isn't one for me.

And that, I think, sums it up. If you don't need the store, don't go in a play with the kit. You don't need to, you know everything about it already!! The fact you have said you would go a store and try just shows you are willing to abuse a system.

So when you stated that it 'adds no value for you' - that's not an admission that it's a service you're not prepared to pay for?

If you were prepared to pay for the service you wouldn't expect the retailer to price match against suppliers that do not offer the same service.

LOL No!

Here's the scenario, I'll walk you through it. Hopefully it may clarify things.

• I want to buy a camera
  • I research cameras I like on the internet and pick a couple
  • I go to a camera shop, can I have a look at this camera please?
  • I look at the camera
  • I ask the price
  • They give me the price
  • I google the price.
  • Their price is £50 higher than Wex, I ask if they'll price match.
  • They say no.
  • I walk away and buy the product online.

And that, I think, sums it up. If you don't need the store, don't go in a play with the kit. You don't need to, you know everything about it already!! The fact you have said you would go a store and try just shows you are willing to abuse a system.

I have no words. Shopping around is now a crime.

You still aren't listening. The shops will close unless they change their business model to keep up with online retailers, because more and more people shop like I do and less and less people shop like you do. It isn't up to consumers to change shopping habits, it's up to retailers to adapt.

Last edited:
LOL No!

Here's the scenario, I'll walk you through it. Hopefully it may clarify things.

• I want to buy a camera
  • I research cameras I like on the internet and pick a couple
  • I go to a camera shop, can I have a look at this camera please?
  • I look at the camera
  • I ask the price
  • They give me the price
  • I google the price.
  • Their price is £50 higher than Wex, I ask if they'll price match.
  • They say no.
  • I walk away and buy the product online.
So clearly you're not prepared to pay for the personal service and convenience of the local physical camera shop.

Your local camera shop may well not be able to secure the discounts that Wex can, due to the economies of scale that Wex achieve, so why would you expect them to price match?

So clearly you're not prepared to pay for the personal service and convenience of the local physical camera shop.

Your local camera shop may well not be able to secure the discounts that Wex can, due to the economies of scale that Wex achieve, so why would you expect them to price match?

Yes - if they want my business, at least within a reasonable amount. And no, I don't think £50 is a reasonable amount on a £500 camera.

Again - The shops will close unless they change their business model to keep up with online retailers, because more and more people shop like I do and less and less people shop like you do. It isn't up to consumers to change shopping habits, it's up to retailers to adapt. Being unhappy about it (which you clearly are) won't stop it happening.

Last edited:
The shops will close unless they change their business model to keep up with online retailers, .
How do you suggest they do that?
They have higher overheads to cover.
They have lower volumes from which to secure margin to run their business.
If they stopped stocking demo units then where would you go to 'try out' your potential purchase? They're not libraries.

Why should it be a percentage at all, do overheads scale with the value of a product?
So where do you draw the line?
You stated £50 in £500 was too much....how about £30 in £500? or perhaps (and I get the distinct impression this is the one) £0 in £500 would be your preferred option? - so how do they pay for their demo stock and physical shop?

How do you suggest they do that?
They have higher overheads to cover.
They have lower volumes from which to secure margin to run their business.
If they stopped stocking demo units then where would you go to 'try out' your potential purchase? They're not libraries.

Not my problem

So where do you draw the line?
You stated £50 in £500 was too much....how about £30 in £500? or perhaps (and I get the distinct impression this is the one) £0 in £500 would be your preferred option? - so how do they pay for their demo stock and physical shop?

You seem to have avoided answering my question - I don't mind paying and extra £5-£10 quid for convenience, but don't see why it should be a percentage of the value of the goods.

So you'd be quite happy to see these businesses fail?

Where would you go when all these camera demo libraries have closed?

I've answered all this previously in the thread. Obviously a business closing wouldn't make me happy, but an unsustainable business model will always fail - don't blame me for that. I'll order online and return if not happy.

You seem to have avoided answering my question - I don't mind paying and extra £5-£10 quid for convenience, but don't see why it should be a percentage of the value of the goods.

You seemed to present your objection (£50 in £500) as though the premium relative to the total value was relevant. If it wasn't relevant , why state it?

I've answered all this previously in the thread. Obviously a business closing wouldn't make me happy, but an unsustainable business model will always fail - don't blame me for that. I'll order online and return if not happy.
Yet you'll still go into the physical local shop and inspect and try the goods before going elsewhere to buy - you've admitted that is what you do.

... and if they're competitive I'll buy the product. You never try on clothes then change your mind?
You've also claimed that you do much research before you buy so you should know what you want before you buy it...so why unbox and soil a camera if you have no intention of buying it at the marked price?

Bloody tyre kickers...

Last edited:
I have no words. Shopping around is now a crime.

You still aren't listening. The shops will close unless they change their business model to keep up with online retailers, because more and more people shop like I do and less and less people shop like you do. It isn't up to consumers to change shopping habits, it's up to retailers to adapt.

I agree with you when you say, Shopping around we all do it and I am proud to say I have in the past done it. Wex quoted me online with traded my old kit, so I told them Jessops offer was better I then told Jessops what I wanted to walk out of their store with, and they said bring it in and if it`s in good nick then Yes, I took it in two days later and got even more than they first quoted me. If the Jessops store does close down again then I would gladly buy online :)

You've also claimed that you do much research before you buy so you should know what you want before you buy it...so why unbox and soil a camera if you have no intention of buying it at the marked price?

Bloody tyre kickers...

You never try on clothes before you buy?

... and if they're competitive I'll buy the product. You never try on clothes then change your mind?
But you know the price that they are expecting you to pay BEFORE you try. Ask before if they price match. If they don't ... you are wasting their time.

As for clothes ... the cost of damage / returns is factored in to the price ... the same way that Jessops / LCE / etc. factor in the cost of providing demonstration cameras, bags, etc.

I do....but I never say...oh yes this fits well but I can get exactly the same £10 cheaper on amazon so thanks for letting me try it on I'll get it from amazon.

Do you?

Oh I do worse than that, sometimes I buy it, then see one cheaper in another shop and return the original item and buy the cheaper one! I am the devil incarnate.

But you know the price that they are expecting you to pay BEFORE you try. Ask before if they price match. If they don't ... you are wasting their time.

As for clothes ... the cost of damage / returns is factored in to the price ... the same way that Jessops / LCE / etc. factor in the cost of providing demonstration cameras, bags, etc.

You say Ask before if they price match, If they don`t... you are wasting their time. I look on that they are wasting my time, just like Wex did with me on NOT matching Jessops :)

SIgh - The shops will close unless they change their business model to keep up with online retailers, because more and more people shop like I do and less and less people shop like you do. It isn't up to consumers to change shopping habits, it's up to retailers to adapt.

Bloody tyre kickers...
Ian you are wasting your time our friend has changed his alleged modus through the thread.
As you said Tyre kicker is bang on the money.

SIgh - The shops will close unless they change their business model to keep up with online retailers, because more and more people shop like I do and less and less people shop like you do. It isn't up to consumers to change shopping habits, it's up to retailers to adapt.
No, if the shops change their business models then they will become like online retailers and will NOT have a display of cameras for you to look at and try out. You don't want retailers to adapt ... you want them to throw away their profits by providing services which cost them money for nothing.

You are (essentially) happy with Amazon ruling the retail market, reducing staff costs more and more with zero hours contracts and moving forward eliminating more and more staff as automation increases. Of course once Amazon rule and they are not having to compete any more ... the consumer will loose out because they will increase their prices which will be pure profit for their shareholders. Viva the new world order!
You say Ask before if they price match, If they don`t... you are wasting their time. I look on that they are wasting my time, just like Wex did with me on NOT matching Jessops :)
I mean if you expect them to price match without knowing then you are wasting everyone's time!

Cite references please, where have I changed my mind.

Yawn! I've already done so previously listing your quotes which changed a little each time. You sidestepped that with a facetious comment.
Interesting how everyone else gets it but you!
Never mind eh?

Back