Jessops returns

Why do you get involved and then want it stopped, not the first time you have called for a mod to lock a thread (and got a knock back)

Blimey, it's only words, don't keep looking if it upsets you, no one's got injured or emotionally scarred for life

Yeah, shut up Dave.

Rich slapped me earlier in the thread and I headbutted him back.

We're still alive and will be civil, even jokey on another thread.

It's only the internet.

Why do you get involved and then want it stopped, not the first time you have called for a mod to lock a thread (and got a knock back)

Blimey, it's only words, don't keep looking if it upsets you, no one's got injured or emotionally scarred for life

Not fussed as got a Knock back many years ago :D:p
PS: It don`t upset me either.

Last edited:
I have no words. Shopping around is now a crime.

You still aren't listening. The shops will close unless they change their business model to keep up with online retailers, because more and more people shop like I do and less and less people shop like you do. It isn't up to consumers to change shopping habits, it's up to retailers to adapt.

Oh I have been listening... And it's clear that you are happy to use the facility of a high st store, as long as they match the price from the big online retailers. But if you have done ALL the research, you should know the price, and you should know everything about the camera, so why bother? Why waste the time of the staff in the store? Just buy a grey import and be done with it.

That's the bit you don't understand, you think it's perfectly fine to waste somebody's time in a store when you know, heart in heart, that you are not going to buy, and the guy could have been serving somebody else. These guys could well be on commission, and you're happy to take the bread off of their table. But you think these people are put there for you to abuse...

Oh I have been listening... And it's clear that you are happy to use the facility of a high st store, as long as they match the price from the big online retailers. But if you have done ALL the research, you should know the price, and you should know everything about the camera, so why bother? Why waste the time of the staff in the store? Just buy a grey import and be done with it.

That's the bit you don't understand, you think it's perfectly fine to waste somebody's time in a store when you know, heart in heart, that you are not going to buy, and the guy could have been serving somebody else. These guys could well be on commission, and you're happy to take the bread off of their table. But you think these people are put there for you to abuse...
You're so right.

No I don't, but if I'm out shopping and I go in, and they have one I can demo then I'll check it out. But I'm equally happy buying it online and returning it.
You intimated earlier that you'd happily let them open a box for you to demo a camera knowing full well you wouldn't be buying it

Oh good grief - can you simply not grasp the fact that it simply doesn't add any value for me?
Yet you still want to use the service they offer, you just don't want to pay for it.

You also say your happy to ask them to price match but won't haggle, you like to see the price up front? What is asking to price match if its not haggling?

Oe the question of where to buy. To my mind it is my money I am spending and therefore make a purchase anywhere I like,, be it shop or internet. Shops have ripped us of for years, now they are competing on a world wide basis they don't like the competition. The worm has turned now it is their time to struggle for customers

Last edited:
You intimated earlier that you'd happily let them open a box for you to demo a camera knowing full well you wouldn't be buying it

Yet you still want to use the service they offer, you just don't want to pay for it.

You also say your happy to ask them to price match but won't haggle, you like to see the price up front? What is asking to price match if its not haggling?
You're so right.

Oe the question of where to buy. To my mind it is my money I am spending and therefore make a purchase anywhere I like,, be it shop or internet.
I think you’re missing the point of the discussion / argument. It’s not about the right or wrongness of buying from the Internet vs High Street. It’s about the rightness or wrongness of visiting stores and using their facilities when you have no real intention of purchasing from the store.

To get back on track as this thread is now going around in circles and having just read through the last 3 pages, opinions aren’t going to change has @marcg868 reached an agreement. If he has disappeared then for the love of god can someone please lock the thread :)
No response from Jessops not answering the customer services line either.
Decided I'll keep it for 6 months and revaluate the situation. And if I still don't like it, I'll trade in for another Canon/Nikon DSLR.

Decided I'll keep it for 6 months and revaluate the situation. And if I still don't like it, I'll trade in for another Canon/Nikon DSLR.

Nice one for letting us know, you might actually really get in to using and liking it.

I have a friend who bought a Canon printer from Jessops. He had only had it a short time when the innards litterly fell apart. He contacted Jessops who referred him back to Canon, who referred him back to Jessops and on and on it went until he sent an email to someone in authority. Things then started to happen, he got an apology and £40 refund for his troubles, the printer was collected and he bought another different model printer.

Just shows stick to your ground and you could get action.

This is very poor if they wish to compete with the major suppliers. You could try to contact the MD/CEO as I doubt they want this this type of feedback.

This is very poor if they wish to compete with the major suppliers. You could try to contact the MD/CEO as I doubt they want this this type of feedback.
You not impressed by Jessops. I usually buy from Wex online or visit lce in Manchester or Wilkinson's in Blackburn. Also mpb are good, but have become a bit slow in communication lately.

As an aside with respect to Jessops... I’m not sure if it’s still the case, but as I recall when Jessops was brought back from the dead in 2013, the online business and retail stores are actually separate companies, although they do share resources. Not sure what (if any) implications that has for customers.

Shops have always had problems with people coming in and not buying things, but taking up time that sales assistants could happily spend making actual sales and helping actual customers - and that happened pre-internet. So it's not unique to the likes of Amazon etc. And I think hobbyist shops probably have this more than most with people 'just browsing' to pass time.

But I think it's foolish to think that everyone is happy to support local businesses at any cost. I am, to a degree, but it seems to me that MjMountain is at least giving the business the opportunity to compete. For me, when I ask if they can price match, sometimes they will say they can't match it exactly, but will do a deal. In some instances that's enough to swing the sale, especially if they've been especially helpful or nice, or engaging. But if the service is poor, their attitude sucks and the staff are unknowledgeable then even if they matched the price or undercut it, I'd go elsewhere.

And for everyone berating anyone seeking convenience and cost, do you all split your shopping up and go to your local butchers to get meat and your local greengrocers to get fruit and veg? Or do you, like most of us, go to a massive Supermarket where you can park for easily (and for free) and get all your goods in one fell swoop?

Unfortunately for small businesses and for shoppers, online shopping is killing high streets, but it may only be the final nail in a coffin that's already pretty tightly sealed.

@Marcel could someone please put a stop to this mess :)

Trying to catch up with this thread and you behave like a fly on s***. You are stuck here not wanting to lift your head from the food whilst you keep complaining there is too much s***. Go make a coffee or something stronger so I can get to the end :mad:

Unfortunately for small businesses and for shoppers, online shopping is killing high streets, but it may only be the final nail in a coffin that's already pretty tightly sealed.

Poignantly, 40 years ago, Jessops used to be one store in Leicester that used to undercut your local retailer by offering cheap mail order via adverts in the likes of Amateur Photographer.

do you all split your shopping up and go to your local butchers to get meat and your local greengrocers to get fruit and veg?

Yes, most of the time. (appreciate not everyone can)

Trying to catch up with this thread and you behave like a fly on s***. You are stuck here not wanting to lift your head from the food whilst you keep complaining there is too much s***. Go make a coffee or something stronger so I can get to the end :mad:

hahahahaha that is so funny :D:p:mooning::beer:

Last edited:
Back