weekly Jin's - 2012 52 Week Challenge - Week 4 Added

Jin

Name
Jin
Edit My Images
Yes
Week 1 - Direction

Subject:
The Bunk Line, located between Wallingford and Chosely, is a 2 mile long railway track. The line has not been in public use for since it's closure in 1959 but has been maintained since it's purchase in 1981 by the CWR Preservation Society. It is a non-electrified line and steam and diesel engines only operate on the weekends courtesy of CWR.

Imagery:
I originally thought of a forking path or a complex signpost but when I decided on a railway line I decided that I wanted it to be black and white and play around with contrast.

Image:
http://500px.com/photo/4085947

Critical Points:

• A sharp foreground would have made the shot much more admirable.
  • Clouds are flattened.

Hi Jin & welcme to the madhouse :wave:

I clicked the link & like the shot....,the crit you gave yourself says all I was thinking but great shot to start your challenge with :clap:

You will find you get more crit/comments etc if you post the actual image rather than a link though....unfortunately I have no idea how you do that from 500.px?

Thank you for your comments guys. You know what they say "You are your worst critic".

I have only just started using 500px over flickr and haven't even looked at picassa yet, unfortunately I couldn't find the embed link on 500px and at the time lacked the energy to delve into the source code to find where 500px had stored my image.

Will however in the future ember the image.

ps....don't forget to update the spreadsheet...makes it far simpler to track who's done what....link in 1st post where the themes are added each week...just stick an x in the box next to your name under the relevant theme..........I've updated wk's 1 & 2 for you :)

I'd definitely recommend including the image rather than a link in your post. I get the sense of direction. It;s amazing how wobbly the tracks look at such a low angle.

Really liking direction, the DOF and POV is just about right for me, and the mono suits perfectly.

Week 3 - Sigh

Subject:
The original plan for this shot didn't quite work out, the idea was to have the subject in the middle of the shot with a background of library books. The piece was going to be a long exposure during which people would move through the foreground and behind the subject resulting in artistic ghosting and hopefully showing the progression of time.

HOWEVER, apparently it is high treason to photograph in a library and after my first photographic confrontation I gave up on that quest and had to settle for this boring shot in a room which was not much bigger than 6x4.

Imagery:
I find this shot quite boring and was very angry and disappointed that for the second week in a row what I had visualised had once again failed due to factors out of my control.

Image:
4.jpg

http://500px.com/photo/4526238

Critical Points:

• A better location could have saved this shot.
  • Composition is not quite right however working in a closet with a desk in it I think the location would have had to change for better composition.

Week 4 - Sweet

Subject:
So instantly my mind went to sweets, I wanted to play around with all the colours. I really wanted to play with sepia tones in an old sweet shop knowing of one in my area but was slightly disappointed to see it was staffed by modern young blondes.

So instead I bought a small collection of my favourites and brought them home.
Imagery:
I like this shot and it was great to have a play around with creating my scene as oppose to having to find it. The bonus was being able to work from home and using the available light from a north facing window on an overcast day. I did want to originally use a lightbox or some from of underlight for extra lighting through the translucent jelly beans but had to settle for a white sheet of paper.

Image:
4.jpg

http://500px.com/photo/4538974

Critical Points:

• Using a lightbox underneath could have produced some interesting colours.
  • Better composition could have been used to avoid areas where the white paper shows in between sweets.

Great shot Jin, it really works for me. I used a but ended up doing a re-shoot as a result of some of the comments. It's like that sometimes. Reflecting on what could have been is very useful though.

Nick

it's a good shot, works for me, even the black sweets have the writing on them well defined, which I find difficult to do :clap:

Good shot Jim good colours the white paper works well I think but not the black sweets

Thank you for all your comments. I like to critique my own shots in a way it kind of reminds me that I still have a long way to go.

Another thing that annoyed me is the condition of the "pontefract cakes" (Black sweets) it seems the manufacturer have let their standards slip. When I was a kid they used to be perfectly made.

Hi Jin

Sigh....fits the theme & given your restrictions it's turned out well (y) Possibly getting slightly lower down to the right you could lose the fileing cabinet,maybe some more books where the pens are ? Just a thought...well lit though (y)

Sweet....lovely selection...love the flying saucers (y) Pile a few more on to lose the paper & it's spot on :clap:

Love your self crit by the way & look forward to seeing the rest of your project (y)

Nice shots there, particularly direction.

I'll second the comments about the self crit as well, quite interesting to see what you think of your own shots.

I like your take on Direction and fits the theme nicely. Not as keen on Sigh and think Lynne has summed up how it could be improved. I like the Sweets Yum Yum and is your best so far. The white paper is not a distraction.
I'm impressed with your self critique which will come in useful as the weeks go on.

Back