weekly John B's 52 Weeks: week 8 'Handmade'

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I've just joined this group on flikr and now here with this my first ever post. I love photography but have never been a particularly good photographer. When I saw this group and it's ideas I was immediately attracted to it. I think I can keep up with 52 weekly pictures, maybe 365 would be a little steep for me after a long time without a camera in my hand, so here goes...

I've joined at week 7 with 'Roots' and hope I have got the thread organisation right as I'm a little unsure.

Thank you for having me :)

Week 1 : Direction
Kirkby Lonsdale This Way by John and Barbara, on Flickr
Week 2 :
Week 3 :
Week 4 :
Week 5 :
Week 6 :
Week 7 : Roots in Flickr or in TP
Week 8 : Handmade in Flickr or in TP
Week 9 :
Week 10 :

Last edited:
Here's my week 7 'Roots' picture - sorry if it's a bit ordinary but it's my first.......

I took this along Cotter Beck at Hardraw this year.

Here's a tree trying to cross the road....

Took this near Ingleton on the way to pay my window-cleaner.

Last edited:
Thanks Matt - that did the trick. I wonder which to use. Do people prefer a link to my Flikr set (now set up and containing my 52s pictures) or to a thread page such as my post #3?

How can I get a link to appear as a blue word rather that the full text constituting the link?

Here's my week 7 'Roots' picture - sorry if it's a bit ordinary but it's my first.......

Entangled by John and Barbara, on Flickr

I took this along Cotter Beck at Hardraw this year.

Nice shot, I quite like it though it seems a little underexposed to me, could be my screen though to be fair.

Also, the large chunk of bank on the left is a little distracting, if you had the opportunity and it was safe to do so , I'd have been tempted to get a little closer to the water and shooting back up to the trunk with all the roots prominent in the shot.

Still a good start though mate.

Hi John & welcome to the 52's madhouse (y)

Great image to start your thread , good colors , nice angle & right on theme :clap:

Look forward to seeing more of your images :)

ps....only a a teeny weeny bit green-eyed that you're in Cumbria...totally love the place after the 52's meet there in January ....heading back up for a few days in March so may be asking for some info on places to visit :)

Last edited:
Yes I think you're right - it does look a little underexposed. I chose this viewpoint to try to emphasize the 'clinging onto the bank by the roots' nature of the tree's predicament - but for this theme I think your idea to concentrate the shot on the roots and also to shoot from the water's position is a good one. Many thanks for your input.

Feel free - I can certainly steer you towards some beautiful and interesting places - we're surrounded by them! I am very lucky to live here, overlooking the river Lune. It's like being in photographic heaven every day.

Hi John, welcome to the forum and the 52'ers (y)

A nice start already, I like your root shot, it's a great looking tree, well spotted !!!

For handmade, I like the slate roof, some nice textures there

Good luck with catching up... look forward to seeing what you come up with :)

hi John, another newbie.....I'm new here aswell!! really enjoying it at mo.

good start to your pics aswell.

like your first handmade pic, not something you see ya local builder doing these days!!

hi John, another newbie.....I'm new here aswell!! really enjoying it at mo.

good start to your pics aswell.

like your first handmade pic, not something you see ya local builder doing these days!!

Me too - it's great to have a bit of company and structure to photographs, good luck.

Back