Jon's 2019 52- Week 17-Light and Week 18-Crowded

Nice that! Just a little more depth of field would be nice - but I still like it :)

Nice that! Just a little more depth of field would be nice - but I still like it :)
A very good shot and nice Dof but agree with Dave on maybe a bit more depth of field.

Thanks! It;s a bit difficult getting more DOF using tubes.

Looks fine to me. Maybe the brown twig could have been avoided, but as it is well-blurred, no problem.
Nice macro image Jon!(y)
Love the colours and the background blur is smashing!
I have one of those Helios 44-2 also, seeing your image has inspired me to dig mine out and throw on some tubes too!

Thanks guys. I do like the Helios 44-2, a great lens. especially for the price!

Week 13-Food

I seem to always be struggling for time recently, still have a lot odf catching up on other peoples images too. I am off on hols for a week tomorrow, so might be a while before I can catch up. Anyway, here's my attempt for Food. It's food, Jim, but not as we know it.....
Lens for this week is a Minolta Auto-Rokkor PF 58mm f1.4, with a 10mm extension tube.

Supernovum by Jon, on Flickr

Last edited:
Love this Jon. What a cool concept. It's like a film set throwback from the 70s

Hi Jon,

Entrance - Loving the vibrancy of the colours straight out of the camera. Shame there isn't a little more background blur, the car is a bit distracting. But you can't have everything eh?
Young - I'm not going to pretend to know anything about macro except the words you used indicate you were doing macro ;)
Works nicely. Very shallow DoF by the looks of things.
Food - I'm thinking egg yolk maybe? Loving the look and colours, it has the feel of the ball of ht sun hanging in space.

Food - really like the concept here, and definitely has an astral feel to it. Nicley done!

Wow! Terrifically inventive Jon!
Colours are fantastic and a great story too!
Marvellous!(y)

Thanks G
areth!
A very interesting shot for Food Jon. It has a deep space or deep ocean feel about it. Nicely lit.
Love this Jon. What a cool concept. It's like a film set throwback from the 70s

Thanks guys!

Hi Jon,

Entrance - Loving the vibrancy of the colours straight out of the camera. Shame there isn't a little more background blur, the car is a bit distracting. But you can't have everything eh?
Young - I'm not going to pretend to know anything about macro except the words you used indicate you were doing macro ;)
Works nicely. Very shallow DoF by the looks of things.
Food - I'm thinking egg yolk maybe? Loving the look and colours, it has the feel of the ball of ht sun hanging in space.

Thanks for the comments!

Food - really like the concept here, and definitely has an astral feel to it. Nicley done!
It's an egg yolk, right? Well, whatever, a very interesting take on the theme. Bravo!! :clap::clap::clap:

Thanks folks, I actually did a similar shot a few years ago, thought it worth a revisit!

Week 14-Smooth-SOOC

Been away on hols, and now trying to catch up yet again! Not overly happy with this one, but it ticks the box for technique.
This weeks lens is the Zeiss Diatagon T* 28mm f2.0

Rose by Jon, on Flickr

Last edited:
I don't mind this at all Jon. It's a cool image with the blurred background giving a nice smooth(ish) texture to it

This really works for me too!
The detail in the centre of the rose is great, and the way you have composed the image - the converging stems - is very good with terrific background blur.
The background almost has the look of a very clever ICM image, with the rose being perfectly placed!
SOOC too....Bravo Jon!:clap:

Big catch up on comments

cold - two great landscapes both look cold to me. I like the 2nd best.
Waiting - good take on the theme, at least it is only traffic lights so should't be too long a wait.
Rough - I like that the ball is off center and it stands our well against the oof brown leaves.
Object - I am glad you explained what it was not that it matters for the theme. I like the colours and textures.
Wet - great reflection and lovely blue sky
Free - the light reflections add something to the overall image.
Entrance - lovely door, great colours.
Young - Stands out well from the background, although it would be good to have the lower buds both in focus.
Food - It looks like something out of a sci-fi movie very clever.
smooth - lovely rose, nice and sharp in the middle.

I would be happy! Nice and sharp in the middle and great against the background.
I don't mind this at all Jon. It's a cool image with the blurred background giving a nice smooth(ish) texture to it

Thanks guys! I wasn't sure hpow on theme it was.

This really works for me too!
The detail in the centre of the rose is great, and the way you have composed the image - the converging stems - is very good with terrific background blur.
The background almost has the look of a very clever ICM image, with the rose being perfectly placed!
SOOC too....Bravo Jon!:clap:

Thanks Gareth! Strange you mention ICM, I was fiddling around with ICM when I decided to take a rose out of the vase in the lounge and place it in the plant.

Big catch up on comments

cold - two great landscapes both look cold to me. I like the 2nd best.
Waiting - good take on the theme, at least it is only traffic lights so should't be too long a wait.
Rough - I like that the ball is off center and it stands our well against the oof brown leaves.
Object - I am glad you explained what it was not that it matters for the theme. I like the colours and textures.
Wet - great reflection and lovely blue sky
Free - the light reflections add something to the overall image.
Entrance - lovely door, great colours.
Young - Stands out well from the background, although it would be good to have the lower buds both in focus.
Food - It looks like something out of a sci-fi movie very clever.
smooth - lovely rose, nice and sharp in the middle.

Thanks for all the comments! I ahev a lot of catching up on comments to do myself!

Week 15-Above

Work has been getting in the way a bit, but has provided me with a couple of shots for Above.

This one was taken on my hols. It's actually a cheat, as I took the boat from a pic shot a few minutes later.

Solar wind by Jon, on Flickr

And this one a few days ago

Overflight by Jon, on Flickr

I also got this one of Izmir using my new Ricoh GRIII. I was planning on taking all my pics this year with legacy lenses, but in the interests of keeping up, I'll post this one on the main thread, and maybe reshoot the theme later on.

Izmir by Jon, on Flickr

Love the image with the boat - simple but so atmospheric. Not sure what the bottom one is? from? how?

Hi Jon,

Smooth - a fab shot. Beautifully sharp yet with a perfect softness to it that matches the subject and the theme. Very nice. :clap:
Above - The second or third for me. I love the third one as you probably don't get much more above than that. Then again, the second one has great light and clarity.

Three superb images for 'above' Jon!
#1 - cheating or not, it's a beautiful scene, with great drama in the sky, and those rays....sublime!
#2 - Crikey! What an amazing shot! Love the jet below you, and the mountains are terrific....don't know what else to say....just amazing!
#3 - Another incredible image, again, not sure what else I can say other then it's fantastic!
Truly great work Jon!:clap:

All three of those above images are just great.
The first with the ray of sunshine lighting up the boat is one of those moments when you just capture the perfect image. Love it.
The second above with the mountains is a great capture. So much detail to the mountains and then those dark shadows being cast across them, makes it work so well.
The third above is another wonderful image. What's not to love about night time views coming in to land (hopefully you were just arriving). Great lighting, the lights on the roads and smaller streets are like the veins of life

Loving the last image taken with your GRIII ( Love my GRII ), great colourful image and nicely taken.

Thanks Dave!
Love the image with the boat - simple but so atmospheric. Not sure what the bottom one is? from? how?

Thanks. The bottom one is an aerial shot of Izmir, taken while flying overhead, through the flight-deck window
Hi Jon,

Smooth - a fab shot. Beautifully sharp yet with a perfect softness to it that matches the subject and the theme. Very nice. :clap:
Above - The second or third for me. I love the third one as you probably don't get much more above than that. Then again, the second one has great light and clarity.
Thanks for the comments!
Three superb images for 'above' Jon!
#1 - cheating or not, it's a beautiful scene, with great drama in the sky, and those rays....sublime!
#2 - Crikey! What an amazing shot! Love the jet below you, and the mountains are terrific....don't know what else to say....just amazing!
#3 - Another incredible image, again, not sure what else I can say other then it's fantastic!
Truly great work Jon!:clap:

Thanks Gareth!
All three of those above images are just great.
The first with the ray of sunshine lighting up the boat is one of those moments when you just capture the perfect image. Love it.
The second above with the mountains is a great capture. So much detail to the mountains and then those dark shadows being cast across them, makes it work so well.
The third above is another wonderful image. What's not to love about night time views coming in to land (hopefully you were just arriving). Great lighting, the lights on the roads and smaller streets are like the veins of life

Thanks Ian. The last shot was taken from 35000 feet, in the cruise, so not a busy time at all.

Jon, quite like your rose to be honest. The oof is a bit like marmite I think, love or hate and I love it !
Thanks Chris

ABOVE - cheat or not, it's a cracking shot!!
Thanks Bob! When I took the shot of the rays, I thought it's a shame there wasn't a boat in it. A few minutes later, a boat appeared, at the same angle, so it didn't take much imagination to cut the coat the boat from a more boring background and paste it into shot.

I have been struggling a bit with time, Easter is one of the busiest times of year work wise. So here's a catch up for Hot. This weeks lens was a Meyer-Optik Gorlitz Orestor 100mm f2.8 with 16mm extension tube.

Hot by Jon, on Flickr

Food – A real spacey feel to this which is cool! Like the blue lights shining through the raw egg white. Very nice!

Smooth – Has a soft/smooth feel to it. I like it, and its Sooc too. Nice colours of the rose and blurry background.

Above – #1 Nice light rays coming through the moody clouds. Works well with the boat even if a cheat. Saying that I think it would still be a great image without the boat.

#2 Is a cracker too, didn’t spot the plane straight away, but the jet trails caught my eye and lead me to it.

#3 is also very good.

Hot – Nice blue Gas flame or ‘Gaz’ from the british gas advert.

That certainly looks hot Jon. Bang on theme. Love the colours throughout the image and the abstract feel to it

Thanks for all the comments, folks, I've not been too good at commenting myself, not had much time for anything recently, with work and a motorcycle trip to the Lakes getting in the way. I will try and remedy that, and catch up on comments.

Cool shot for hot Jon, nice and colourful.
Another vote for a cool hot shot Jon. The colours are really nice.
Nice hot shot, love the colours.
Very classy image Jon!(y)
The colours are great and the shades of blue in the flame are really nice.
Stunning hot picture...
Jon, what a fabulous image the blue is captivating against the reds. Nice

Thanks, folks! It was fun taking it, had to use a 100mm lens with tubes to avoid flames on the lens!

Food – A real spacey feel to this which is cool! Like the blue lights shining through the raw egg white. Very nice!

Smooth – Has a soft/smooth feel to it. I like it, and its Sooc too. Nice colours of the rose and blurry background.

Above – #1 Nice light rays coming through the moody clouds. Works well with the boat even if a cheat. Saying that I think it would still be a great image without the boat.

#2 Is a cracker too, didn’t spot the plane straight away, but the jet trails caught my eye and lead me to it.

#3 is also very good.

Hot – Nice blue Gas flame or ‘Gaz’ from the british gas advert.

Thanks for commenting on all those shots, Dom!

Hot is brilliant, I love the colour contrast between the blues and oranges.
That certainly looks hot Jon. Bang on theme. Love the colours throughout the image and the abstract feel to it
Hot
It looks good. I like the blue flame against the orange.

Thanks guys!

Back