weekly Jpay01's 52Week Challenge.2012/ Sigh's here everybody

Name
Jay
Edit My Images
Yes
Thought I'd do some background.
Jason Pay, 21.

A photography student living in Margate (occasionally mentioned on Eastenders and the once seen in Only fool's)

Am hungry to learn and love photography as it allows me an outlet for my obsessive nature, hoping to use this 52 week to co-inside with college projects and to test myself. I don't see producing the photographs weekly a challenge but want to give myself purpose and use the themes to expand the areas I photograph.

So... here goes!
Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Well done Jay, I've got my 1st up but I've a feeling that some will be quite challenging :)

Direction, I may be getting a little over-excited and really wanted to post my first image.
This was shot without the theme in mind but believe it fits well,

Thanets Monet by jpay01, on Flickr

The obvious 'direction' is the trolley sinking down but it's also a conceptual image for a college project. I am challenging the Tesco monopolisation and the sinking trolley's direction is representing Tesco's position in an argument around the proposal of a new superstore.

Also inspired by the Adbust of Monets painting.

Hope you like, I look forward to next week!

Hi Jay

Welcome aboard the 52....great start to your challenge (y)

Overall I like the shot & your thinking ( though a bit too deep-no pun intended-for my 52 addled brain !)

Nice n sharp , great little touch of color on the handle & above the wheels . Possibly cropped a touch to much at the top for me , a shame you nipped the bottom of the reflection & the little red dot bugs me....wanna know what it is :LOL:

Look forward to seeing more of your images ....great start though :clap:

Dancing wool by jpay01, on Flickr

A second attempt at fulfilling the theme, I got carried away and posted the first shot early. I was out shooting last night and playing with loosening wool during spins to get large lumps spinning in different directions.

Thought I would post it up and see which people prefer;

Thank you everyone,
The wool took me ages to attempt but now i know how simple it is I can't stop.

Literally for my first try I found a bulldog clip at work, un-laced a trainer and bought some wire wool (fine) from BandQ.

Then tie the bulldog clip to the shoelace, clip the wool in, set the camera to 30second exposure (take test shot to test exposure on surroundings) try to focus on a pre-determined spin spot, then 10second delay, get in position and set the wool on fire, play with spins. Get out the way once you have spun, and let the surroundings expose. (With the 30second exposure you have time even once the exposure has begun to light the wool and spin)

It's really simple and easy, and once you have done the first one you won't stop!

Then it's time to get creative, the only thing I have changed from this method is I now use a 9v battery instead of a lighter to ignite the wool. I got mine from poundland, and I have a mate to spin for me so I can concentrate on my camera and try to nail focus.

+1 for the wire wool shot. I'd have probably cropped it in on the left and right to lose the gap between the pillars and the sides. Can't wait to give this a go myself on Thursday.

Hi, there, the trolley photograph I really like and the storyline is the icing. I'd like to see it in portrait with more of the reflection in.

Good start.

Cheers.

Thank you everyone.
I can't wait for next weeks theme!

I searched through my memory card for the shots from the trolley evening and I have realised why it's a tight crop. There are lights from boats offshore at the beach which are really distracting and the crop is along the shore line.

I did take a portrait shot but the light painting is not as clean and it doesn't contend even with the better composition. Something for me to remember next time...

My first installation on this theme, got more planned but getting this in from today's outing as I was really pleased with the result.

Here's the bumph:

FEAR: Be afraid of something thats likely to be dangerous, painful, or threatening.

I tried to think of a fear everyone can relate to, I decided on death (FEAR OF DIEING) and this lead me to a graveyard. I walked around for a long time without taking many shots, the gravestones and angels made for nice images but I didn't feel anything.

I found this wall, and it instantly stimulated emotions within me, I hope my images from that wall do the same to you. (I would like to put that i don't intend to offend anyone by disclosing these names and if anyone would like me to remove the images I will immedialty)

I love you dad (2/52 FEAR 4) by jpay01, on Flickr

For this theme I think the second wins but would like your opinion!!!

Gone and forgotten (2/52 FEAR 2) by jpay01, on Flickr

More to come and I need to learn how to do this linky thing/

Thank You

I actually think I'd prefer it without the post-it note, it makes it too 'modern' for me, and I'd like to see it with dead flowers, or dried flowers. Just my opinion though, nothing at all wrong with the shot, I admire the way you've managed to get the names to stand out, especially with moss. My attempts always end up a blurred mess with no contrast :)

Certainly an original idea for direction with the shopping trolley and on theme once you know the story behind it, I have to say though I prefer the spinning shot. These always impress me and I must get around to trying it soon.

With fear the first one is my favorite, I like the colour of the flower against the texture of the grave, think it would look better without the tin foil though.

The note works as well and is a nice touch.

Got to be honest all the second one does is hurt my eyes, so this week #1 all the way

Thank you everyone.
Pretty conclusive number one for week 2, I think I agree, the second one was a safety shot for me by hiding the names to try and remove any offence. I was unsure of the reception of the highly personal first image.

I did consider to construct the image a little more and play with the elements within it however I couldn't do it... Was a really emotional shot. Looking forward to trying to get another FEAR image before the next theme.

HI Jay

yup...another vote for 1#...2nd image is just too distracting with the blur,sorry:crying:

1#....like detail in the headstone...very emotional image...the flower & post it note add to that....so (y) from me. If you still have the orignal shot I would maybe consider a slight straighten to the left & not clipping out the bottom of the yellow flower...still like a lot :clap:

ps....don't forget to update the spreadsheet...makes it far simpler to track who's done what....link in 1st post where the themes are added each week...just stick an x in the box next to your name under the relevant theme..........I've updated wk's 1 & 2 for you :)

HI Jay

yup...another vote for 1#...2nd image is just too distracting with the blur,sorry:crying:

1#....like detail in the headstone...very emotional image...the flower & post it note add to that....so (y) from me. If you still have the orignal shot I would maybe consider a slight straighten to the left & not clipping out the bottom of the yellow flower...still like a lot :clap:

ps....don't forget to update the spreadsheet...makes it far simpler to track who's done what....link in 1st post where the themes are added each week...just stick an x in the box next to your name under the relevant theme..........I've updated wk's 1 & 2 for you :)

Thank you, no need to be sorry! I understand (y)

regarding the ps I have completly no idea what your referring too :thinking::shrug:

Hello Jay,

For Direction, I love the wire wool shot.

Fear, my pick out of the two would be #1, though I personally find the foil a distraction.

I like # 1, a very powerful photo.
Tbh the postit made me think. My imagination went wild, the thought of a little girl putting that postit on the grave stone - POWERFUL. Well done.

That hit the nail on the head for me too when I was shooting it.

I really struggled on the day trying to avoid the dull graveyard shot but when I saw this I was blown away! It was emotional...

Thanks for the comments everyone, I am trying my hardest to get round and support everyone else! Good luck to you all on the next 50!

I'm scared I'm not going to be able to create the shot I want before Saturday, So I thought why not include another similair shot, :) Talking about emotional shots, I noticed this first with the MUM and then I saw the DAD, I think it's a beautiful means of remembrance!

I love you mum (2/52 FEAR 3) by jpay01, on Flickr

Last edited:
Direction : Whilst I do like the wire wool shot... not something I've attempted as yet.. but I like the idea of getting a mate to handle the burning wool :LOL:.. I think, despite the deeper meaning needed to interpret the first image, I prefer it.

Fear : An understandable fear, I have to say it didn't shout it to me (nor did the direction for that matter ;)). I'm sorry... I find the blur on the second to be too much for my eyes, and I find it to distracting..

While out with the wire wool and light guns the other evening I took this:

FEAR 2/52 by jpay01, on Flickr

Love having these themes to shoot!

Hi Jay

what a great start, good to see you trying different takes on the themes, some great ones too !!!

Wk1 - I like the trolley shot but prefer the spinning wirewool - great shot

Wk2 - The first post-it one was very good, really well spoted, but now I see the second post-it image that takes it for me

Really looking forward to seeing what you come up with next :)

Hi Jay,

Some great ideas for the first two themes, I love the wire wool shot for week 1 and for week 2 it's definately no1 for me, I think the red post it note makes the shot.
All the best for week 3.

Carol

And here it is, definatly the hardest challenge of the 3 so far!

The concept is really deep to make this fit but it's basically what makes me sigh when I consdier the change in my local neighbourhood!

Is also my first HDR image, I know they're marmite but I've tried to keep it within easily viewable, I don't like HDR that rapes the eye.

Self portrait. Week 3/52. SIGH by jpay01, on Flickr

Comments critique and opinions please! GOOD LUCK EVERYONE, I'm going to try and get round tomorrow to share feedback, think that's a real bigger challenge than the images.

Back