Edit My Images
No
I'm a relative newbie to printing, but have spent a lot of time reading up.
I have a couple of questions...

Today I processed a RAW image ready for printing so that the black and white points were just not clipping in Lightroom. I then exported this as a Jpeg.
1st Question... does anybody use the LR print module without exporting the processed RAW file as a jpeg? Is there a recommended practice?

When I looked at the jpeg histogram, it had compressed and appeared that I needed to expand my range at either end - more whites and blacks/contrast.

2nd Question... I know jpegs are lossy, but is this what you would expect with the histogram?
3rd Question...Would you then tweak the whites and blacks on the jpeg before printing?

I have been experimenting with using LR or letting the Canon printer manage the printing, and today tried the Canon Pro Studio software for the first time. In this case I tried brightening the image and upping the contrast a little.

Lots to learn and really enjoying it, but would be interested to hear what more experienced people would do.

Most of my work I publish in jpg for printing purposes like catalogues,
magazines, books and alike.

I do not use LR but another converter where I feel the exported files look
like the PP'ed version. I would not edit a jpg but re-export it after tweaks.

Maybe you could show an example?

Last edited:
Printing from LR is the preferred practice. Why wouldn’t you?
And do you always print from a jpeg, or sometimes a processed raw file?

Canon Studio Pro seems a little friendlier on centring an image whilst leaving it as large as possible but I am still experimenting.

And do you always print from a jpeg, or sometimes a processed raw file?

Canon Studio Pro seems a little friendlier on centring an image whilst leaving it as large as possible but I am still experimenting.
No need for a jpeg either print straight from the LR print module or straight from the Print Studio Pro add on.

There is really no need to go to jpeg unless you want to post on the internet, if you are going to use application manages colour then read up on soft proofing and the correct use of profiles.

Most of my work I publish in jpg for printing purposes like catalogues,
magazines, books and alike.

I do not use LR but another converter where I feel the exported files look
like the PP'ed version. I would not edit a jpg but re-export it after tweaks.

Maybe you could show an example?
To be honest I’ve been pretty happy with all of the results so far, but I wondered if it was poor practice to print the processed raw file, and also the histogram had changed at either end. Did you want screen shots of the histograms?

At first prints were coming out a little warm... this made my first print look better than on screen :D but wasn’t so good for blue seas and skies. A chat at the Canon stand last week and I’ve now calibrated my screen to D50 and sorted that.

No need for a jpeg either print straight from the LR print module or straight from the Print Studio Pro add on.

There is really no need to go to jpeg unless you want to post on the internet, if you are going to use application manages colour then read up on soft proofing and the correct use of profiles.
Thank you, raw files it is then

I’ve been watching a lot of YouTube (José Rodriguez) and reading up whilst printer was sat in box for almost a year as we were renovating the house. There is a lot to learn but I am having so much fun,

You do know that even if you don't make a RAW into a JPEG file prior to printing, LR has to create one temporarily to communicate with the printer. The benefit of LR, and this is a little more advanced, is that you can 'soft proof' an image to get an idea of what it will look like when printed on different printer and papers. Sounds like you are getting prints your are happy with already though. :)

You do know that even if you don't make a RAW into a JPEG file prior to printing, LR has to create one temporarily to communicate with the printer. The benefit of LR, and this is a little more advanced, is that you can 'soft proof' an image to get an idea of what it will look like when printed on different printer and papers. Sounds like you are getting prints your are happy with already though. :)
I didn't know that, but I suppose it makes sense that we are viewing a preview of 'data'.

When I tried the 'soft proof' option in LR it didn't appear to make much difference, so I guess that means I'm close to seeing it as it would be output? I haven't investigated much as I am happy with the prints. There was a talk at the Canon Education Stage at the Photography Show, and he demonstrated using Photoshop, so I may have a go at that.

I've only tried a couple of Canon papers so far and have downloaded some icc profiles for Canson and Permajet - I have sample packs of each, but I'm thinking I should keep it simple at first and not introduce more variables. There is a bewildering choice of papers.

I've only tried a couple of Canon papers so far and have downloaded some icc profiles for Canon and Permajet - I have sample packs of each, but I'm thinking I should keep it simple at first and not introduce more variables. There is a bewildering choice of papers.
Sounds like a plan. ;-)

I watched an online course on Creativelive a few years ago by a chap called Jared Platt who went into everything LR, including soft proofing. If you can find some vids of him demonstrating LR then they are worth a look. He has been the one who seemed to be the one with the most knowledge of LR imho. Although I know your question was not about LR per se, the soft proofing seems to be a good thing to get sorted at some point as it should lesson the chance of unexpected results from prints. Paper and ink are not cheap. ;-)

Sounds like a plan. ;-)

I watched an online course on Creativelive a few years ago by a chap called Jared Platt who went into everything LR, including soft proofing. If you can find some vids of him demonstrating LR then they are worth a look. He has been the one who seemed to be the one with the most knowledge of LR imho. Although I know your question was not about LR per se, the soft proofing seems to be a good thing to get sorted at some point as it should lesson the chance of unexpected results from prints. Paper and ink are not cheap. ;-)

Was it this one?

View: https://youtu.be/QksMEYpRVeI

Sounds like a plan. ;-)

I spent some time on YouTube last night and have more idea on this soft proofing in LR now (y)

Back