weekly Karl12347 52's 2013 - Time and Letter Added

Lovely cat shot - beautifully sharp on the eyes and lovely use of shallow DOF.

OK - you didn't get the ears - for me there's two options now, reconstruct them in PP (but you don't have either so that's gonna be tricky :LOL:), or be bold, and crop in tight to the roundness of his face, portrait orientation, keeping his chest in and make it intentional to have chosen to not include ears and whiskers - in order to maximise the eyes.

I just done it myself and it looks great!

Week 5 - Space

Been really busy with work the last week so not had the time to think outside the box.

Working in IT I was thinking of taking photos of the server storage disks but they didn't work out how I wanted.

The idea behind this shot was to show the limited space I have to work with in our server room with the amount of wires.

This shot was taken with the camera sat in between two servers and put on 10 second timer. f3.5 no flash. If I was to do a reshoot, I would have brought the tripod with me and got some of the front of the servers in shot.

Feedback and Critique welcome.

Week 4 - Space by Karl Forster, on Flickr

Hi, Karl, Space works for me. Unusual perspective and the vacant look on your face really adds to the story.

Crit, just the FG horizontal wire.

Cheers.

For me this is my fave, good shot, lighting and expression on the fella
The quizzical look on the face as if to say "I didn't leave it like that, what the heck happened to me neat cabling?!?", :)

Hi Karl

Wild - that's pretty well done - i like Graham's suggestion to try to improve on what you have

Space - original thought and the wires, the foreground, the expression and the blown b/g all contribute to the theme. That one stray oof wire at front detracts a little. Still don't suppose that you could have cut it.:D

posiview said:
Hi, Karl, Space works for me. Unusual perspective and the vacant look on your face really adds to the story.

Crit, just the FG horizontal wire.

Cheers.
Thanks for the feedback, the horizontal wire didn't look too bad on the camera LCD screen but when I go the shot into Lightroom I was quite intrusive.

siblingchris said:
For me this is my fave, good shot, lighting and expression on the fella
The quizzical look on the face as if to say "I didn't leave it like that, what the heck happened to me neat cabling?!?", :)

To be honest, every time I walk in the server room that is my exact thoughts. Thanks for the positive feedback.

superpippo said:
Hi Karl

Wild - that's pretty well done - i like Graham's suggestion to try to improve on what you have

Space - original thought and the wires, the foreground, the expression and the blown b/g all contribute to the theme. That one stray oof wire at front detracts a little. Still don't suppose that you could have cut it.:D

No cutting the wire is out he question, however much I would like to cut the mess of cables. If it wasn't connected to anything at one end might have been able to move it. But didn't have the time to trace it back.

Karl, this is great stuff! As noted your puzzled look is half the value of the picture. I don't mind the OOF wire as it adds to the idea that this is all pretty tight. I can see you thinking, which one of these is not connected properly?

I like your wild shot, beautiful.

Your work shot i can understand having been in server rooms before, i also think given his own way thats how my oh would have our house look, i do know one of his friends house was like it at one point :LOL: Blooming IT people :LOL:

hi Karl

lovely cat , great focus on the eye, lovely colors....shame about the clipped ears but if it was wild you did well to get this (y)

Work......lol...brilliant ....our IT guy's look like that everytinme they come near our server room :clap:

Hi Everyone

Playing catch up at the moment as wife went in for an operation and I had a few weeks of looking after the kids.

This is my shot for the theme Work, as in Hard work! While off work for two weeks to look after the kids while my other half recovered, my 10 month old son developed a throat infection, this also came along at the same time as the teething stage. These put together made him extremely hard work both day and night.

As for the shot itself, It was just a quick shot taken but his little frown does seem to fit the theme. Simple Crop of the image was all that was done in PP.

Week 6 - Work by Karl Forster, on Flickr

Comments / feedback welcome.

More of the themes to follow this week.

I'm afraid I can't see past the dummy.. covers half of the face.

I like the framing and all the bright colours

Nice picture, the bit of stuff on the forehead between the eyes is a bit of a distraction but it adds to the theme.

On a mission now to catch up with the themes. Got some time off work now so will get caught up.

Week 8 - Time

Life is pretty busy at the moment with the kids so decided to create a shot that fit the theme bed time. This shot was the end result from me reading some strobist blogs entries about using manual settings to control flash light. The room was lit with normal evening lights. I used the camera in manual mode to restrict the overall light with aperture and shutter settings and used the flash to create a sense of bed time.

Week 8 - Time by Karl Forster, on Flickr

Week 10 - Letter

This is not the best shot I have ever taken but my wife has recently received a letter from her friend who has just moved out of town so figured it would be the best subject for the theme.

Week 10 - Letter by Karl Forster, on Flickr

Thoughts welcome as always.

Thanks
Karl

Karl, Time works really well; definitely get the feeling of that early morning fractious child! (Although now I look more closely, it isn't twenty to three but quarter past 8!).

Not much to say about Letter though. Not sure there's enough here to make it a picture rather than an image because of a theme. Is there any way to weave a bit of story round it?

Hi Karl, Great work with the speedlight vs room light there. subject and composition tell a story, very well done. (y)

Letter, well, you might not think much of it but I think this would be perfect for a website or in the background of a news program. Well done again mate.

Time - intersting lighting which works well with your chosen shot. Those deep shadows emphasise the child's bed time fo me. Not sure about the layout - would have preferred to see the spoon with the milk powder and grouped tighter with the container and the dummy left where it is.

Letter - simple and on theme - maybe a tweak to the WB to make the paper whiter

Back