Lake District WEEKEND Meet - RESPONSES NEEDED

Which weekend would you prefer

• Weekend commencing Friday 2nd October

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Weekend commencing Friday 9th October

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yes, the time not spent on film/camera talk was spent taking the pee (mainly out of me it would appear) and doing most of the scenes from Life of Brian. :D

May I just chip in and extend my thanks to everyone, for making me feel so welcome and even more so to Mr Snap and his very good lady wife for their hard work, it was a great weekend with a great bunch of people in great location.

Oh and thanks to donut for the ride up and back if you need help making your car legal give me a shout.

And many thanks from me and TMBE for such a great weekend, thanks specially to the CMS and Andy for the organisation and shopping :)

We popped into Keswick after leaving as Andy sold us on the benefits of proper insoles and after spending a little time in George Fisher, we're both much more comfortable in our boots. Then we drove home which all went pretty smoothly until the M40 and a jack-knifed caravan. The sat-nav took us around the worst of it but it still added over an hour to the journey.

I think I might look at the train for the journey to Bristol next month, I'm not having much luck with roads at the moment!

So, this little lot:

(The camera's there because it still had a nearly-finished Vista 400 in it at the time.)

This is a wonderful moment, digital guys have nothing comparable. Little drums of dreams, capsules of hope, canisters of potential perfection. (Oh, and a few turkeys that were obvious immediately after pressing the shutter.) Perhaps they are at this moment, still, as good as they are ever going to be? Perhaps I should just cherish their potential, imagine the wonderful results in my head?

Nah. Doubt is already creeping in. They're all probably badly exposed, out of focus, over-reaching the dynamic range, horrid colour casts either from the long expired, cooked E200, or from my £2 charity shop Cokin grads. And boy is there going to be some camera shake! (Trying for a portrait format waterfall by pressing the tripod against a rock at the side and going for 1/8 was always going to be dodgy. ETA: while trying not to fall into the 100 foot slide behind me!) Best get the disappointment in early. C41 stuff has all gone to Filmdev, E6 and the BW have gone to Peak (decided I'd throw it in as a quality comparison with my own dev work).

Last edited:
We picked up a men's top that someone left on a chair in the kitchen. It's a Bspoke Russell 1/2 zip merino top in black, size L.

Give us a shout if it's yours and we'll return it (unlaundered because it's hand wash only!)

We picked up a men's top that someone left on a chair in the kitchen. It's a Bspoke Russell 1/2 zip merino top in black, size L.

Give us a shout if it's yours and we'll return it (unlaundered because it's hand wash only!)

Drat, I always leave something! It's my getting dirty merino that it was too warm to wear. Not sure how it ended up in the kitchen. Thanks for rescuing it Janet.

If you don't mind chucking it in the post I'll send some money on to Andy, I've got his bank details somewhere.

I'm going to get a couple of rolls devved this evening and hopefully get some stuff up later this week.

Father in law is here for the week so odds of me getting anything developed are slim and I'm away this weekend so that won't help with the backlog.

My colour 5x4 sheets are on their way to Peak, will try and get the b&w dev'd next week.

I've either got to take one more frame on LF or burn the roll in my 645 *cough* to get the 5% discount, so it's looking like i'll get some colour deved in about 6000000000 years at the rate I shoot! Will try and get some B&W deved by the weekend.

Also, just to confirm, @stevelmx5 has transferred the money for the box of astia (£25) to @Andysnap in payment for mine and Nikki's contribution towards food. :)

Last edited:
Gosh @Andysnap photography paying for your food, that's definitely a win for you!

I've either got to take one more frame on LF or burn the roll in my 645 *cough* to get the 5% discount, so it's looking like i'll get some colour deved in about 6000000000 years at the rate I shoot! Will try and get some B&W deved by the weekend.

Also, just to confirm, @stevelmx5 has transferred the money for the box of astia (£25) to @Andysnap in payment for mine and Nikki's contribution towards food. :)

Cool, thanks guys.

Gosh @Andysnap photography paying for your food, that's definitely a win for you!

Does that make me a professional?

Just got home to find a massive bunch of flowers and a vase from the lovely (?) peeps who attended the Lakes weekend. Massive thanks from me and I'm sure the same from Jan when she gets in from work.

I have a darkslide loaded with Ektar which I shall use to record the event. Thanks again you big load of dafties. :D

That's a hansom looking camera, it's user must be a fabulous photographer! :D

No, sadly not. He's a fool who can't look after his own clothes....... sad but true. :D

Excellent set Steve, some real crackers in there.

Andy

Cracking work Steve.

I've only been on 3 meets with two overnighters but I think the difference was with us all 'living' in the same house. Everyone got on really well (as far as I know!) and it made the weekend all the more enjoyable. I'd definitely do the same again with regards to the accommodation.

I've only been on 3 meets with two overnighters but I think the difference was with us all 'living' in the same house. Everyone got on really well (as far as I know!) and it made the weekend all the more enjoyable. I'd definitely do the same again with regards to the accommodation.
Me too and I know we've only just got back but I've just had a quick check on the YHA website and most of the self catering hostels are already booked up for next year's weekends :eek:

Hmm, Snowdonia ... on the one hand, even more vertical countryside than the lakes, on the other, breakfast at Pete's Eats :thinking:

Yeah, count me in :)

Nearly all of Wales is lovely..Wye valley, mumbles, north Wales...in the old days with no speed cameras I could get to the border of south Wales from W London, in a Corsair...... in 1hr 20mins along the M4

Nearly all of Wales is lovely..Wye valley, mumbles, north Wales...in the old days with no speed cameras I could get to the border of south Wales from W London, in a Corsair...... in 1hr 20mins along the M4

I had a Ford Pubic once... that was made from old coarse hairs...... sorry.....:coat:

Andy you were probably knee high to a grasshopper when the Corsair was around :D...but my point was you can choose the cheapest and available\convenient place for nearly anywhere in Wales for a meet and won't be disappointed.

Corsair..RB67 with erm the only lens I had at the time 180mm.

someone mentioned a walk around Buttermere iirc... I can honestly say that despite my current (ahem) medical issues, i'd be perfectly capable of parking in the car park near the "Fish Hotel" and handling a complete loop of the lake - there's some interestingly wierd trees along the edge of the lake, and one or two nice views along the lake up towards Haystacks / Great Gable in the distance - it's pretty much all low-level and flat enough that even someone from Norfolk wouldn't get a nosebleed from the elevation.

IIRC there was also mention of walking around Derwentwater. All I can say is, it's not exactly worth it - there's longish sections of road-bashing with trees both sides killing the view - personally, I'd nip up Catbells via skellgill bank, and follow the ridge along over Maiden Moor and High Spy, dropping down through the disused Quarries (plenty of photo-ops in the ruins of the buildings etc), then either take the path marker Alllerdale Ramble under the side of Castle Crag (or, nip up it if you've a spare half-hour - there's some interesting stone formations on the top, and iirc, a war memorial plaque...) - Back into Grange (decent cafe...) and make your way back to the lakeside, and take a steamer back up the lake to get back to the start of your route.

Just wish I was allowed to undergo the stress of driving up there for the day to join in...

@TheBigYin

Mrs Snap took your advice and did this walk, thoroughly enjoyed it as well.

Back