Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I'm fairly new to the forums I've been a member for roughly 8 months but i tend to read and look mostly and not post :)

but I'm going away for 5 days next week and was wondering what sort of Filters i will need for doing stuff like Landscape / Seascape / Sunsets ?

I mostly shoot automotive stuff being a huge Petrolhead but I want to give landscape and stuff a try :)

I have a few filters I was given polariser (isn't too good for my lens though shows up in the frame) and a few Grad filters some being blue and browns ?? but if anyone can point me in the right direction for some other filters or a whole bunch i would need, budget isn't huge though currently so i think lee filters would be a no for time being :( , future purchase though:) !
I do like the look of the 10 stop for achieving the silky ocean effects.

but being new to me I'm no expert in this area :)

Thanks for the help.

Regards
Broken.

I am going to be shouted down I know by other members but I used a Hoya pro1 uv(0) filter to make the clouds more prominant for sunset shots

The main thing is I and others I have shown like the shot who are not photographers, so those pixel peeping/ ultra tech correct members I ignore somewhat. I do my own thing

Last edited:
I would always recommend and use Lee filters

You would definitely need atleast one ND grad filter and a polariser, maybe you can find on eBay at a more affordable price.

Have a look at SRB Photographic http://srb-photographic.co.uk/filters-1218-c.asp Their filters are excellent value and have no discernible colour cast. A polariser and a neutral density 0.9 grad is what I use most, given the dynamic range of modern sensors and the option to apply filters in post. I have their round/screw on ND1000 and whilst it is fine I sometimes find it too dark, they do a range of square neutral density filters that come in different densities. TBH at their prices it is worth a try and you haven't lost much if you upgrade later

I am going to be shouted down I know by other members but I used a Hoya pro1 uv(0) filter to make the clouds more prominant for sunset shots
The main thing is I and others I have shown like the shot who are not photographers, so those pixel peeping/ ultra tech correct members I ignore somewhat. I do my own thing
Thanks for the reply dude, yeah ive heard of Hoya the photo is a decent shot :) but as for doing your own thing i think thats the best thing as what may appeal to one person wont to another,

I would always recommend and use Lee filters
You would definitely need atleast one ND grad filter and a polariser, maybe you can find on eBay at a more affordable price.
thanks for replying :) yeah i would love to get Lee filters i will in future but i currently a week ago just got my self a new tripod, Manfrotto 055xpro3 with the 3 way head mount, so budget little low now due to going away but want something i can capture a half decent landscape and sunsets etc as i know without them it will just blow out the sky etc. but im no expert here so im not sure what budget filters work and not a waste of money :)

Have a look at SRB Photographic http://srb-photographic.co.uk/filters-1218-c.asp Their filters are excellent value and have no discernible colour cast. A polariser and a neutral density 0.9 grad is what I use most, given the dynamic range of modern sensors and the option to apply filters in post. I have their round/screw on ND1000 and whilst it is fine I sometimes find it too dark, they do a range of square neutral density filters that come in different densities. TBH at their prices it is worth a try and you haven't lost much if you upgrade later

thanks for the reply.
i will check this link out on my lunch break when i have more time to browse :) yeah im looking at a polariser as the one i use is in the frame so it wont work its too small of an opening. and then a Grad filter to keep the sky down a few stops. and then possibly a 10 stop for doing some Ocean silk effects :)

Last edited:
Have a look at exposure blending then you don't even need to buy any graduated filters simply combine a shot exposed for the sky/sunset with one exposed for the land etc.

Have a look at exposure blending then you don't even need to buy any graduated filters simply combine a shot exposed for the sky/sunset with one exposed for the land etc.

yeah this was another option i had thought of but then i did think with filters can achieve a shot in one, as things change quickly esp with water and waves but its new for me so i will give all ago :)

Another vote for SRB. I've not used their ND filters but the grads are good and the mounts are good quality too, both at a decent price.

Dave

Another vote for SRB. I've not used their ND filters but the grads are good and the mounts are good quality too, both at a decent price.

Dave

Thanks for the reply
this is what I'm thinking of purchasing for the trip

SRB
Pro filter kit - 3x ND Hard Grad ( 0.3 / 0.6 / 0.9 ) comes with cleaning kit and pouch also
1000ND Full (10 stop) Filter
Circular Polariser
and poss a 50mm Adaptor as i do have a 50mm prime lens also that's decent, otherwise out of my 4 lens 2 are average not so great lol so wont be used for this only 2 will be and tbh I highly doubt the 50 will be either not wide enough! so prob just the one that is 18mm lowest i own

so might still only purchase the 3 grads the 10stop and polariser as the one i got given is too small it shows up in the frame

and poss a 50mm Adaptor as i do have a 50mm prime lens

You do know that a 50mm filter won't necessarily fit a 50mm lens, don't you? The adaptor rings are marked in the size filter thread they fit rather than the lens's focal length. The filter thread diameter is often marked on the lens itself (look for a ø symbol) or on the inside of the lens cap.

FWIW, the only filter I use is a polariser. CBA with grads!

You do know that a 50mm filter won't necessarily fit a 50mm lens, don't you? The adaptor rings are marked in the size filter thread they fit rather than the lens's focal length. The filter thread diameter is often marked on the lens itself (look for a ø symbol) or on the inside of the lens cap.

FWIW, the only filter I use is a polariser. CBA with grads!

hey thanks for the reply

yeah my prime lens is a 50mm and the thread i think is 42mm and the main lens i use is 72 or 67mm thread will double check when i get home :) although I probably wont buy one as i only really will be using the main lens that is 18mm for the widest i can go. and I'm just curious with learning landscape / sunset / seascape and having a play around with different effects etc and I know filters are very handy to get the best shot possible :)

also (look for a ø symbol) i need to purchase a lens hood for a lens does this identify the lens hood size aswell or just the internal thread ?

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply
this is what I'm thinking of purchasing for the trip

SRB
Pro filter kit - 3x ND Hard Grad ( 0.3 / 0.6 / 0.9 ) comes with cleaning kit and pouch also
1000ND Full (10 stop) Filter
Circular Polariser
and poss a 50mm Adaptor as i do have a 50mm prime lens also that's decent, otherwise out of my 4 lens 2 are average not so great lol so wont be used for this only 2 will be and tbh I highly doubt the 50 will be either not wide enough! so prob just the one that is 18mm lowest i own

so might still only purchase the 3 grads the 10stop and polariser as the one i got given is too small it shows up in the frame

The SRB 10 stopper has quite a significant magenta colour cast, can be removed in pot processing, but you ought to be aware before purchasing.

The SRB 10 stopper has quite a significant magenta colour cast, can be removed in pot processing, but you ought to be aware before purchasing.

thanks for the reply,

thanks for letting me know I didn't know that, I did do a search and read reviews over the items I purchased and never saw anything mentioned on that but hopefully not too bad that lightroom and photoshop cant correct,

these will only be temp for time being until I learn this style of photos better then will look at the costly Lee filters to improve my images

in the end I went for

67mm Circular Polariser
67mm P size Pro Filter Holder
Set of 3 ND -HD Grads (0.3 - 0.6 - 0.9)
Full Square filter HD 10 stop (ND 1000)
i also got a pouch and a cloth for them as the complete set was out of stock so purchased all separate as I'm away next week so no time for waiting for stock :)

if anyone in here has any tips or pointers for me for Landscape / Seascape / Sunset please let me know :) I've been reading the forums and doing the usual spend all my time on YouTube videos watching lol :)

Thanks
Broken

thanks for the reply,

thanks for letting me know I didn't know that, I did do a search and read reviews over the items I purchased and never saw anything mentioned on that but hopefully not too bad that lightroom and photoshop cant correct,

these will only be temp for time being until I learn this style of photos better then will look at the costly Lee filters to improve my images

in the end I went for

67mm Circular Polariser
67mm P size Pro Filter Holder
Set of 3 ND -HD Grads (0.3 - 0.6 - 0.9)
Full Square filter HD 10 stop (ND 1000)
i also got a pouch and a cloth for them as the complete set was out of stock so purchased all separate as I'm away next week so no time for waiting for stock :)

if anyone in here has any tips or pointers for me for Landscape / Seascape / Sunset please let me know :) I've been reading the forums and doing the usual spend all my time on YouTube videos watching lol :)

Thanks
Broken

Don't be afraid to experiment
Make sure your tripod is secure
Use the Self Timer to stop shutter press shake or use a remote release
Download a Long Exposure Calculator App for your phone
Have Fun

Yes you can remove colour cast in post, takes a bit of effort first time, but afterwards isn't too bad. When you get hooked, don't overlook Hitech, their Firecrest filters are very good, and even the 16 stop ND is very neutral.

Don't be afraid to experiment
Make sure your tripod is secure
Use the Self Timer to stop shutter press shake or use a remote release
Download a Long Exposure Calculator App for your phone
Have Fun

Yes you can remove colour cast in post, takes a bit of effort first time, but afterwards isn't too bad. When you get hooked, don't overlook Hitech, their Firecrest filters are very good, and even the 16 stop ND is very neutral.

yeah will be trial and error for me as I'm mostly automotive shooter and then the odd different thing here and there like an abandon house i did few weeks ago
i got a new tripod for holiday also got the new manfrotto 055Xpro3 with the 3way head mount so heavy enough should be secure ill make sure its dug in the sand a little also.

but yeah ill either set the timer to 2 seconds to allow the camera to stead before shot or i have a wireless remote switch i can use also.

i heard about an app called *photopills* ? dunno if you heard ive not checked it out yet unless you can recommend any ?

oh wow 16 stop! that must be one long exposure ! :O ?

yeah will be trial and error for me as I'm mostly automotive shooter and then the odd different thing here and there like an abandon house i did few weeks ago
i got a new tripod for holiday also got the new manfrotto 055Xpro3 with the 3way head mount so heavy enough should be secure ill make sure its dug in the sand a little also.

but yeah ill either set the timer to 2 seconds to allow the camera to stead before shot or i have a wireless remote switch i can use also.

i heard about an app called *photopills* ? dunno if you heard ive not checked it out yet unless you can recommend any ?

oh wow 16 stop! that must be one long exposure ! :O ?

I use one call LE Calculator.

BTW Sand can shift especially if the water is passing under your tripod!!!

I use one call LE Calculator.

BTW Sand can shift especially if the water is passing under your tripod!!!

ill check this when I'm home after work :)

and yeah ill be beside it so it don't fall sod that!! :( !! but I like the silky effect for the sea shots so photo shouldn't take any longer then 6 seconds or less so shouldn't shift too much i hope!

will be trial and error though once I return and edit ill post some up :) not posted photos before on here.

also (look for a ø symbol) i need to purchase a lens hood for a lens does this identify the lens hood size aswell or just the internal thread ?
Bit of both! You can get generic screw in hoods that screw in to the filter thread but most modern lenses have specific hoods to fit, often using a bayonet fitting. These hoods are usually supplied with the lens, although IIRC some Canon lenses are sold without them as standard but the hoods are available as an optional extra - at a price! Specific hoods are often available from e-bay, Amazon etc..

yeah my prime lens is a 50mm and the thread i think is 42mm and the main lens i use is 72 or 67mm thread will double check when i get home :) although I probably wont buy one as i only really will be using the main lens that is 18mm for the widest i can go.

Don't just think the widest lens you can use is the best for landscape photography. Depending where you're going you might find a longer range is more useful such as a 70-200mm, especially if you're in hills or mountains. Ultrawide lenses are good when there's a great foreground and you want to add perspective but aren't always the best option, despite most magazines telling you 'if you shoot landscape you need the widest lens possible'! This is quite a good article from Amateur Photographer magazine for telephoto landscapes:

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.u...chnique/telephoto-landscape-photography-74665

Bit of both! You can get generic screw in hoods that screw in to the filter thread but most modern lenses have specific hoods to fit, often using a bayonet fitting. These hoods are usually supplied with the lens, although IIRC some Canon lenses are sold without them as standard but the hoods are available as an optional extra - at a price! Specific hoods are often available from e-bay, Amazon etc..

Thanks for that I'll have a look when I return as I shouldn't need them for what I want to do as I'll have filters on etc :)!

Don't just think the widest lens you can use is the best for landscape photography. Depending where you're going you might find a longer range is more useful such as a 70-200mm, especially if you're in hills or mountains. Ultrawide lenses are good when there's a great foreground and you want to add perspective but aren't always the best option, despite most magazines telling you 'if you shoot landscape you need the widest lens possible'! This is quite a good article from Amateur Photographer magazine for telephoto landscapes:

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.u...chnique/telephoto-landscape-photography-74665

Thank for the link much appreciated ! And yeah that's true the lens I will be taking with me are

18-135mm
70-300mm
50mm prime lens (prob mostly family shots)

Back