Large Format photography group - From "zero to hero!"

Unless I've misread the prices, the cost per unit area of FP4 is lower in 10x8 sheets than in 5x4. It would be cost effective to cut up larger sheets...

Ive been thinking about trying to shoot some 5 x 4 paper. What kind of quality do you get image wise compared to film?

I'm completely open to being corrected here, but I believe that paper should offer the same order or resolvable detail as film does. If the ISO were the sole figure of merit, though I'm sure there is more to it than just this (?), then paper could potentially out-resolve film? Equally, I'm not sure what the dynamic range and latitude of paper is like in comparison with film though. Worth looking into though :)

well i did see fomapan at £98 per 50 sheets earlier which isnt too bad. Colour would be far too expensive. The only other worry is developing the stuff, i dont have tanks that big so would probably have to go to tray development. The papaer idea sounds fun though, i will do some googling as ive never used paper to shoot on before!

That's a very good price for 50 sheets, and yes, colour is quite hilarious.

One thing for people to bear in mind though, is that paper is somewhat red-insensitive compared with film (with the notable exception of Adox CHS film). Something to consider when choosing the subject.

Darkroom printing paper has a resolution which depends on the surface. Unless things have changed, glossy paper has the highest resolution at 30 lpm (or lppm - I can't recall).

I thought this article by Tim Layton proposing to publish the Darkroom Underground magazine was interesting. Incidentally he's also suggesting it could be of interest to digi shooters who want an analogue finish via digital negatives... I guess that's neither film nor conventional, but perhaps still within the spirit of our sub-forum?

http://www.timlaytonfineart.com/blog/2017/3/new-analog-darkroom-photography-magazine

I always see photos and videos of people using field cameras on really tall tripods, whilst stood on step ladders. Can anyone explain to me why this is? Is there a technical reason for it or do they want a higher perspective?

I always see photos and videos of people using field cameras on really tall tripods, whilst stood on step ladders. Can anyone explain to me why this is? Is there a technical reason for it or do they want a higher perspective?
I guess it must be a perspective thing? Are the cameras positioned at a height that's taller than their tripod can achieve on it's own?
To get better views and perspectives. Ansel Adams modified his car:

https://www.lomography.com/magazine...ith-a-large-format-camera-mounted-on-a-tripod

I'm not overly keen on heights / ladders so being small to start with, maybe I could to do try a low down sort of ground level perspective......it wouldn't be the first time that I've been seen laying on the ground with a camera but never a LF one!

Anybody tried it or have I got to be the guinea pig?:confused::D

LF01-0170 GunnsGarden6d.jpg The lowest I've gone is about knee height - if I reduce the file size I can modify this post to show the result.

Waist height - quite a lot.

Prone on ground, elbows in the mud - only once, and not with LF.

Last edited:
I've tried it on a small stepladder because of the perspective I wanted, but for a field camera I take it up Munros and Corbetts and carrying a ladder and a 10x8 + kit is unrealistic, plus you are up so high I don't need it and are more concerned with the bellows acting like a sail.

View attachment 97921elbows in the mud - only once, and not with LF.

only cos you're scared to get mucky!:D:D

Mindst you thinking about it, I don't really want my newly acquired dark focusing cloth draped all over the ground.:confused:....if I have a play, i'll have to revert back to my quid T shirt :confused:

Now I may have asked this before but my age and reliance on performance enhancing drugs mean I forget things sooooo.
Roll film backs for my Wista 45 field camera, do I need a Graflok, as i believe these are considered the International standard, and are there any restrictions that I need to know about. I'm thinking a 6x9 as the 6 x 12 versions are as expensive as diamond rings.

Cheers

Last edited:
Now I may have asked this before but my age and reliance on performance enhancing drugs mean I forget things sooooo.
Roll film backs for my Wista 45 field camera, do I need a Graflok, as i believe these are considered the International standard, and are there any restrictions that I need to know about. I'm thinking a 6x9 as the 6 x 12 versions are as expensive as diamond rings.

Cheers
Just possible I may have one for you, although it may take someone more knowlegable than me to confirm it. I bought a genuine Wista 6x9 rollfilm back some years ago and never got round to using it, and it is described on the box as a "Type N" and it's the same as those in the photos here: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=w...eFzurSAhVW32MKHZOiCrgQsAQIGQ&biw=1680&bih=939

There's a bit more info at this link here, but it isn't a company I've dealt with and I'm not familiar with their grading. https://www.camleyphotographic.com/...0-roll-film-holder-for-4x5-condition-3e-4060/ I bought it from a guy who used to write for AP and he had pretty much bought it and never used it either, so it's more or less unused by its condition. I've no idea what it's worth, but I'd need to come up with a price and list it for sale to keep on the right side of the rules here. Happy to answer any questions or post photos if you're interested?

EDIT: It's scary the info hidden away in Hotmail folders, but I can now tell you it was described as "boxed & perfect condition" by Garry McNamara who was (is?) a lecturer in AP's school of photography. https://gfxxtra.unlockpro.bid/tutor...guide-to-composition-with-garry-mcnamara.html
I obviously bought it as it was going cheap at £90 + postage at the time, and that seems to be the ballpark nowadays according to completed sales on eBay. http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_n...rgn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=3&_sop=7&_dmd=1&_ipg=50

Last edited:
Thanks Peter, I would definitely be interested if it is the correct fit. I'll root out the camera later and see if I can work out the doings, looks like it could be the correct one. (y)

If the back that Peter is offering doesn't work for you Andy, I have a allsorts of backs knocking about including a Wista 6x9 roll film holder which slides on its own back to allow a 6x9 groundglass focusing screen to fall in it's place, then after focusing the roll film holder is slid back....I've explained that like a load of b#####x......sorry!

Alternatively I have another roll film back practically new ( I forget the name for the moment...Dayi or summat)

It has exchangeable screens to allow 6 x 4.5, 6x6 iirc, 6x9 and 6x 12

I'm happy to have a dig and sort a classifieds with piccies etc if you may be interested

How are you getting on with it @gazmorton2000 ? I've been waiting to see some large format portraits! :)

Took two frames last week. Nothing special, just as a test. Ordered some light proof bags from AG yesterday so I can ship them to Peak for developing then I get to try this V700 I bought for scanning!

First two frames back from the LF......

Massive light leaks. Now, I am not sure whether they have come from loading, the camera itself or transfer to the dark bag thing that I shipped them in. I now have a spare 5x4 box for next time and two more frames loaded so will try and test again over the weekend.

There is also a massive dark area on the top of one, like no exposure at all, and a smaller one on the other. Again, loading probably?

Not a fan of circa £9 a photo for failures mind, but I will soldier on. :)

Massive light leaks. Now, I am not sure whether they have come from loading, the camera itself or transfer to the dark bag thing that I shipped them in. ...
There is also a massive dark area on the top of one, like no exposure at all, and a smaller one on the other. Again, loading probably?

If you can post the images, or even better, photos of the sheets on a light box (computer monitor set to white will do), it might be possible to narrow down possible causes of the leaks.

Last edited:
If you can post the images, or even better, photos of the sheets on a light box (computer monitor set to white will do), it might be possible to narrow down possible causes of the leaks.

Thanks. Looking at them, the flare/leak is not consistent at all over both frames, which leads me to think it was either when I was loading, or unloading the film from the holders as my dark bag is really small. I will try again. :)

Shot my first two sheets (that weren't test selfies in the mirror):

4yhD04a.jpg

Rodenstock 150mm Sironar N + Portra 400

Can't wait to print these in the darkroom. Wish it wasn't so cloudy on Easter Sunday (so that there'd be more separation between subject/lighting) but the negs are fantastically sharp.

Last edited:
4 more frames shot tonight with a couple of friends. Gonna send them off for developing in the post so should have results midweek I imagine.

Kinda makes me think I should build a dark room so I can do it NOW!! I have an attached outbuilding with a water and electricity supply.

Shot my first two sheets (that weren't test selfies in the mirror):

4yhD04a.jpg

Rodenstock 150mm Sironar N + Portra 400

Can't wait to print these in the darkroom. Wish it wasn't so cloudy on Easter Sunday (so that there'd be more separation between subject/lighting) but the negs are fantastically sharp.

I reckon there's something great in there waiting to burst out.

Rather than look for greater background seperation, I feel the background is vital but maybe needs more consideration.

I reckon there's something great in there waiting to burst out.

Rather than look for greater background seperation, I feel the background is vital but maybe needs more consideration.

Yeah I think I used the wrong word, I definitely shot this with the background in mind but those initial scans are lacking, they're definitely not the colours/tones I get when I'm printing colour. Will update the thread once I get a good darkroom session in.

Yeah I think I used the wrong word, I definitely shot this with the background in mind but those initial scans are lacking, they're definitely not the colours/tones I get when I'm printing colour. Will update the thread once I get a good darkroom session in.

Apologies if you already know this...

colour theory suggests that distance results in more subdued and cooler colours.

It is official, my 5x4 has major light leak issues. All consistent, all suggesting the bellows.

I have been in touch with the shop and they have offered me refund or repair. Not sure which way I wanna go yet.

It is official, my 5x4 has major light leak issues. All consistent, all suggesting the bellows.

I have been in touch with the shop and they have offered me refund or repair. Not sure which way I wanna go yet.

Bellow are dear, not sure what camera you've got but it maybe a custom job or you might get lucky and get some generic ones from China

Also, have you stuck a torch inside the bellows in a dark room and seen the holes? And further, is the evidence of the leaks in the same place on the resulting frames even if you use different lenses - ie, different bellows extensions?

Also, have you stuck a torch inside the bellows in a dark room and seen the holes? And further, is the evidence of the leaks in the same place on the resulting frames even if you use different lenses - ie, different bellows extensions?

I only have one lens and no, I haven't tried the dark, torch thing. :(

The shop I am dealing with though have been absolutely superb so I am very happy with how things are proceeding. Customer service is second to none.

Last edited by a moderator:
would anyone know where i could source replacement brass knobs for my wista? Ive lost one of the big ones that shift the base plate forward and back :(

I'd try a large hardware shop - we have a shop in Hove called "Nuts and Bolts" which seems to sell only nuts and bolts. Otherwise, I can only suggest trawling the internet.

You could always try a local light engineering company, take the one from the other side in as a pattern and they should be able to match it. Can't see it being cheap though.

A question.

MOD54 or Combiplan?

Discuss :D

Back