Large Format photography group - From "zero to hero!"

Paul Lipscomb's book The Use of Historic Lenses in Contemporary Photography lists five options for shutters if the lens lacks one.

Edit add - it runs to about 2-3 pages so I won't type it in!

Last edited:
I won't edit the above again! After turning over the pages, after the five options he details a simple "I did this at home" fix to add a shutter to lenses without one. The book seems (from Google) to be available from iTunes as well as from the USA. Mine was published by Robert White and either cost me £5 or was given away when I made another (more expensive!) purchase in the shop.

Hat method...........slowest film you can get ya hands on summat like asa 25 that's 40 years ood so can be shot at asa 2...........stop the lens down to F/two millienth then count umpteen elephants!:D

Good luck,:p

Seiously, the hat method does work if you can bring the required speed down slow enough(y)

as for focal length, hold the lens close to a wall or sheet of paper with a window view entering the front element..........the view will show itself , inverted naturally, on the wall.
The distance from the rear element to the in focus image on the wall is the focal lengh of the lens, eg 15 cm being a 150mm lens

Hat method...........slowest film you can get ya hands on summat like asa 25 that's 40 years ood so can be shot at asa 2....

Or buy some here. I've had a box in the fridge for a while intending to get round to it. I liked the 20ASA Adox film when I used a 35mm cassette of it in Devon about 40 years ago... The film in the fridge isn't from last century though.

In passing: Paul Lipscomb's book has a bibliography at the back, one entry of which is a book co-authored by a C. Beck and published by Beck. The book is on the design of lenses, but majors on the Beck lenses. Other books in the bibliography are old, so I assume that this one is! I don't have it, nor have I seen it.

Thanks Asha and Stephen interesting and helpful as usual. :D

Screwed up my first 4x5 sheet today! Was doing a long exposure of a sea groyne with a ten stop filter. Got half way through my three minute exposure and felt something in my pocket. Oh, what's this? It's the ten stop filter that's meant to be on my lens :LOL: I've had double exposures from mixing up double dark slides before but this is the first time I've properly ruined an exposure in camera. Glad it was just Delta and not Provia

Nonsense! You've just completed your first test of the effect of major overexposure on Delta. You may now, if you so choose, complete the test by reducing the development time and observing the effect on contrast :D.

Not using grads, I've not done that. The nearest I've come was inserting the film holder, withdrawing the dark slide, and then noticing that I hadn't actually closed the shutter after focusing. I did actually develop the film...

do people take changing bags out on a shoot or just rely on loads of film holders? Ive 7 holders and find that's just enough if i know what i want to shoot but on longer rambles 14 shots is a little limiting but the thought of trying to change film in a bag on top of a windy hill a bit off putting but more holders is more weight..

What we need is some enterprising chap to design a cartridge system that you can load with sheet and wind on somehow.

Last edited:
I've never taken enough photos on a single trip to worry about it. I have 4 film holders and I think the most photos I've taken in one outing is 4 (at the Peaks meet!)

I'd be inclined to get more film holders instead of taking a changing bag personally. If you already carry 7, another couple wont be much heavier :D I can't think of anything worse than fighting against the wind whilst crouching on the ground, trying to unload and load film in what is basically a small wind sail!

Same as Carl, I've never taken enough shots on one trip for it to be a problem. However this weekend I'm off to the Lakes, just me and the Wista so I may possibly have to load more film whilst out and about. I will take the changing bag, just in case.

Andy

Last edited:
What we need is some enterprising chap to design a cartridge system that you can load with sheet and wind on somehow.

I've never run into a problem out and about with 6 film holders, but I do now have about a dozen "just in case". I take a changing tent when on holiday.

As to a cartridge system, Graflex used to make one - popular with the press when they used 5x4 cameras. A more modern twist was sheet film in a paper packet that used a special Quickload (Fuji) or Readyload (Kodak) holder and didn't need a darkroom. I still have one sheet on Fuji Acros in a Quickload packet for a rainy day...

The Graflex Grafmatic is the 6 sheet 'autoloader'. I looked at using one on the Polaroid 110 to save carrying holders but they're about 3 times deeper than a standard holder (because they hold 6 sheets at a time!) so just added bulk to the camera so I didn't bother.

The Graflex Grafmatic is the 6 sheet 'autoloader'. I looked at using one on the Polaroid 110 to save carrying holders but they're about 3 times deeper than a standard holder (because they hold 6 sheets at a time!) so just added bulk to the camera so I didn't bother.

Agreed they add bulk to the camer however, less bulk, and probably less weight, than carrying three film holders containing the six sheets of film

looking at them on the bay and it doesnt look too huge so money may be invested shortly, theyre not massively expensive to try out.

I'm thinking of a longer lens for my Wista. I believe that the longest it will take is around 240/250mm but are there other options for using a longer lens, say 300mm? Tele lenses, recessed lens boards? Any other suggestions and would my suggestions work?

Cheers

Andy

well as far as lugging all the gear about ive just literally weighed up my options....

D800 + 2 lenses = 2609g

Bronica 6x6 + 2 lenses + 3 film backs = 3049g

Wista 5x4 , 7 film cartriges, 2 lenses, light meter = 3597g

There are filters and various odds and sods that would be common across them all but i was suprised to see the nikon the lightest of the lot!

Probably more plastic in the Nikon o_O

I'm thinking of a longer lens for my Wista. I believe that the longest it will take is around 240/250mm but are there other options for using a longer lens, say 300mm? Tele lenses, recessed lens boards? Any other suggestions and would my suggestions work?

Cheers

Andy

The question is discussed re your camera (well, not yours, but the same model :D) here.

Thank you Stephen, most enlightening.

Lasttime I had looked, the Intrepid camera was not available, but it appears to be for sale again now....

The question is discussed re your camera (well, not yours, but the same model :D) here.

So, and bear in mind I am a notorious fool, if I were to buy a 10mm extension lens board would that give me an extra 10mm to play with or is there some clever mathematical extrapolation that means I would get e.g 30mm?

The only relevant maths is the 1/f = 1/u + 1/v relating the focal length, extension and subject distance. 10mm isn't a lot - remember the 10mm extension tubes for 35mm cameras? You really need all the extension you can get, a telephoto design or see if you can somehow modify the camera...

I'll admit I haven't read all the replies in the link I gave, but I'd suspect that a telephoto design is the best option. The short bellows draw were the biggest reason for my buying my third (in sequence) 5x4 camera.

It might be possible to create a bespoke lens board using a box to extend the lens more, depending on the optical paths etc. Early cameras used sliding boxes rather than bellows for focusing, so something along those lines might work.

The only relevant maths is the 1/f = 1/u + 1/v relating the focal length, extension and subject distance. 10mm isn't a lot - remember the 10mm extension tubes for 35mm cameras? You really need all the extension you can get, a telephoto design or see if you can somehow modify the camera...

I'll admit I haven't read all the replies in the link I gave, but I'd suspect that a telephoto design is the best option. The short bellows draw were the biggest reason for my buying my third (in sequence) 5x4 camera.

It might be possible to create a bespoke lens board using a box to extend the lens more, depending on the optical paths etc. Early cameras used sliding boxes rather than bellows for focusing, so something along those lines might work.

Yes, an extra long lens board should be a reasonably easy thing to fabricate, especially as I have tool room at my beck and call.... well if I ask nicely they could probably rustle one up for me. One of the replies did suggest that there are a few 300mm lenses that have a smaller flange and do actually work so I may look into those as well.
Thanks

I quite enjoy Thomas Heaton's youtube videos, although I've only watched a few so far. In his New Year video, he reports going to Zion National Park, at least partly because of Ben Horne (a LF guy), and as a result of that and some other conversations he's ordered a 5*4 view camera, doesn't say what make, arriving this month. He promises some videos on that, lots of mistakes as he learns on it. Might be enjoyable!

Yes, an extra long lens board should be a reasonably easy thing to fabricate, especially as I have tool room at my beck and call.... well if I ask nicely they could probably rustle one up for me. One of the replies did suggest that there are a few 300mm lenses that have a smaller flange and do actually work so I may look into those as well.
Thanks

In the end I decided to keep it very simple and I have picked up a Yamasaki Tele-congo 240mm f6.3 in mintier than mint condition. Not had a chance to use it yet but hopefully I will at the weekend.

Hiya all,

Is there anyone in North Staffs/South Cheshire with a 4x5 camera that wouldn't mind me tagging along on a shoot when convenient with them?

I wouldn't mind checking large format out, and would like to see a camera in use/up close to get a feel of how they operate.

YouTube videos etc are all well and good, but I wouldn't mind seeing one in action, in the flesh.

Many thanks,
Shane :)

Hiya all,

Is there anyone in North Staffs/South Cheshire with a 4x5 camera that wouldn't mind me tagging along on a shoot when convenient with them?

I wouldn't mind checking large format out, and would like to see a camera in use/up close to get a feel of how they operate.

YouTube videos etc are all well and good, but I wouldn't mind seeing one in action, in the flesh.

Many thanks,
Shane :)

Shane, I may be the man you seek. :D Cant do anything this weekend but we can organise a meet up if you want to have a play with lf. I am by no means an expert but i'm happy to give you the benefit of my very limited experience.

Andy

I always watch this thread and it is very interesting,but, guys one photo in two years,come on now what is the problem.:exit::whistle:

Maybe Shane will change that. :)

Last edited:
Well I'll buck the trend whilst simultaneously lowering the bar.

Wista 45 Field DX, Nikkor 180mm f5.6, Fuji Pro 160NS.

Cottage-in-the-Trees by Andy, on Flickr

I deliberately used a very large aperture so as to get a narrow depth of field on this one.

LF is like sex Richard. The actual shot may only take a few seconds or maybe even a fraction of a second, but the foreplay is very tactile and intricate, as is the afterglow. ;)

Two years that is a long afterglow,I will have to try that. :)

I've never taken enough photos on a single trip to worry about it. I have 4 film holders and I think the most photos I've taken in one outing is 4 (at the Peaks meet!)

I'd be inclined to get more film holders instead of taking a changing bag personally. If you already carry 7, another couple wont be much heavier :D I can't think of anything worse than fighting against the wind whilst crouching on the ground, trying to unload and load film in what is basically a small wind sail!

I used to load up 24 double dark slides and change them over in the hotel a night, with a bag, when on a working trip. I always carried at least a dozen boxes of film in those days. the biggest chore was processing them all in 3 gallon tanks.

Back