Large Format photography group - From "zero to hero!"

MOD54:
Faster filling and emptying
Greater risk of film coming out of holder.

Explanation: others experiences may differ, but I tried the MOD54 first version with vigorous agitation and found loose film did happen. I accept that the degree of vigour I applied would not happen in practice, but equally, I don't know how much would be a problem. So I err on the side of safety and continue to use

CombiPlan
with its slower fill and empty as the clip on the top seems foolproof.
I circumvent the fill/empty speed by removing the lid to pour the stop into a measuring cyclinder prior to rebottling, and pour the fixer straight into the tank. I have been known to use the latency of development to remove the lid to pour out the use once Rodinal and pour in the stop bath.

Last edited:
A question.

MOD54 or Combiplan?

Discuss :D
Neither, SP445

To be fair I've never used the MOD54 but I've got a CombiPlan and it's great and works very well but it takes quite a lot of chems but the thing I like about the SP445 is that it's great for my low shoot rate, I very rarely shoot many 5x4 shots and either have to save up til I have enough to fill the combiplan or waste chemicals.

Last edited:
A further addition to the chems point you raise, is that this is emphasized when doing separate devs for frames to be pushed/pulled.

I've got one of them but haven't used it yet.

It's rather good I find. I was concerned about the lid staying on with just a friction fit from the rubber seal, but in reality, it stays on rather well. Further, in the most recent iteration of the SP445, the film holders have been re-engineered to reduce the effect of the film sticking to it once wet.

Last edited:
Not sure if many folks on here are fans of Thomas Heaton's landscape photography Youtube videos, which I enjoy. But a few months ago he got himself an Intrepid camera, and his video this week was his first attempt at using it. Maybe not his best video, bit of fooling around, but it's interesting seeing him eventually manage to have a go. In a few days time he's planning a "reveal" video when he gets his first shots back.

Right, need a better developing solution. I've the 4x5 jobo system and it's fine but I'm tired of manually turning the tank. I bought a uni roller which I understood would work with the jobo, but the tank is too small and just falls off the ends.

Can one purchase the sp-445 somewhere or something of its ilk?

Yes, yes I know I've not shot a frame in 18 months but roll with it.

Right, need a better developing solution. I've the 4x5 jobo system and it's fine but I'm tired of manually turning the tank. I bought a uni roller which I understood would work with the jobo, but the tank is too small and just falls off the ends.

Can one purchase the sp-445 somewhere or something of its ilk?

Yes, yes I know I've not shot a frame in 18 months but roll with it.

There you go mate;

https://shop.stearmanpress.com/products/sp-445-compact-4x5-film-processing-system

I've just had an email last week from them showing an 8x10 version of the tank that they're building now too.

Or alternatively, a MOD54 insert for a Paterson tank.

I've used the SP445 and it's been great so far, I think they've improved the film holders now as some people were experiencing some drag from the developer, it's not something I had noticed but they seem to be improving it all the time.

What would be amazing, is if the 10x8 version of the stearman could do 4x 4x5 sheets on each side of each insert, making room for 16 sheets total, or 8 in one go with half the volume of chems if only the bottom slots are filled.

Last edited:
I suspect I'll be able to cover most of the cost from selling the jobo so it's not that bad and the jobo only really does four sheets, nominally six but there is too much risk of sheets contacting. Just the RM ransom putting me off.

And I've joined in....

I assume that @Andysnap was front of the queue with his new found love for larger format photography.

Would love one, but I A) can't afford the camera right now, and B) can't afford a lens for 10x8 right now. :(

It's possible that you already have one - check the coverage when stopped down.

Having had a shot of their 54 I'd love the 810 but it really is just more cost, a lens or two, big film, another development system. Probably let this one lie.

I know it is technically medium format but, bl**dy hell is it enormous and heavy or what.

Linhof Technika 70 with Schneider Kreuznach 53/65/180mm and Linhof 100mm lenses, 3 backs, polaroid back, 2 handles and a Schneider centre filter.

2017-05-25_06-39-01 by Andy, on Flickr

Its all a bit mucky and the paint job is not anywhere near perfect, but the glass is all clean and the shutters all fire. I have absolutely no idea how it all works but I'll give it a go over the weekend.

I'll get some better shots over the weekend,this is a crappy phone shot.

I know it is technically medium format but, bl**dy hell is it enormous and heavy or what.

Linhof Technika 70 with Schneider Kreuznach 53/65/180mm and Linhof 100mm lenses, 3 backs, polaroid back, 2 handles and a Schneider centre filter.

Its all a bit mucky and the paint job is not anywhere near perfect, but the glass is all clean and the shutters all fire. I have absolutely no idea how it all works but I'll give it a go over the weekend.

I like the look of that Andy. I've always fancied a Horseman 980 of similar reasons.

I thought you wanted to simplify your photo taking process, 5x4 is too complicated you said, there's too much to think about you said, I get confused you said, it makes me flustered you said, I don't have a routine I can follow you said, too much can go wrong you bloody said!!!!!!!! Now look what you've gone and done, are you insane?

I thought you wanted to simplify your photo taking process, 5x4 is too complicated you said, there's too much to think about you said, I get confused you said, it makes me flustered you said, I don't have a routine I can follow you said, too much can go wrong you bloody said!!!!!!!! Now look what you've gone and done, are you insane?

Yeh, but it was soooo purty..... :rolleyes:

Actually I think I'll give it a go for fun and then flog it and buy another Rolleiflex :D

It also looks like there may be some film in the Polaroid back. That'll be in good nick after 4 years in a box. (y)

Funnily enough that was my expiry date as well. :D

Just thought I'd ask here first... Does anyone have a copal 1 lens board that's going spare? Just taken delivery of a new lens and I need to change out the sinar board that it came in. :)

I have a quick stupid question that has bugged me... if you use sheet film what do you send it away in to be developed if you don't develop it yourself? 120 & 35mm are easy as they have their own little jackets and boxes. How do you stop people from opening it at the other end not in the dark or messing with it in transit?

Sorry, I just felt the need to know this :)

I have a quick stupid question that has bugged me... if you use sheet film what do you send it away in to be developed if you don't develop it yourself? 120 & 35mm are easy as they have their own little jackets and boxes. How do you stop people from opening it at the other end not in the dark or messing with it in transit?

Sorry, I just felt the need to know this :)

You wrap it in magic. :D:D

Back